Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

No one here had a problem with George Stephanopolous, so they can learn Mayim or Biyalik.

(I'm obviously not talking about instances where autocorrect fucks you over, either. If it ends up coming out Matt Biyalik because iOS screwed you over then oh well, that happens)

It's Bialik. No "y" in her surname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
drat, shot with her own hook.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
BOING!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh drat! Mea culpa.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I also haven't watched an as-it-airs episode of Jeopardy since... Well, the 13th will be the first since Alex's final episode.

Oh yeah I guess I’ll tune in to watch that—I don’t know Cory very well but it’s always nice to watch Internet Trivia People take the stage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

The push for Burton to host was I think mostly based on him being the beloved host of Reading Rainbow.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I absolutely agree with the point of view that you should use her actual name, she's a person and deserves the respect and the argument that her name isn't American enough to remember is well, lovely.

She's also certainly in the upper upper echelon of people known by their famous character unlike every other guest host that gained fame more through their actual identity. Now if like Dustin Diamond or Kelsey Grammer were guest hosts you would absolutely have people in this thread and nationwide referring to them as "Screech" and "Frasier", I think those are more apt comparisons. It still wouldn't make it the right thing to call them.

Why did my brain go to loving Screech and Frasier. Urkel was right there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Kelsey Grammer is such a lovely person known for playing a smart on on TV I'm surprised that they didn't get him to host some episodes too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Kelsey Grammer is such a lovely person known for playing a smart on on TV I'm surprised that they didn't get him to host some episodes too.

I feel like somewhere, the last finger on a monkey's paw has just curled.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Urkel will always be Sonic to me, though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Calling actors by their most famous character's name is lame, sometimes can be a way to denigrate them, sometimes not. But she's stupid so who cares.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Being antivax should be disqualifying for the position of quiz-show host, honestly. Maybe I don’t want to know Ken Jennings’ opinion on most things, but he’s never gone on tv to talk about those opinions or written a book full of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ken Jennings has had a twitter account for a long time so it's frankly amazing he hasn't had some stupid poo poo dug up to get dragged over

He's also written several books but I think they're all trivia collections

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He has

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

haveblue posted:

Ken Jennings has had a twitter account for a long time so it's frankly amazing he hasn't had some stupid poo poo dug up to get dragged over

No he definitely did lmao, with some REAL clunkers. that’s why we have the carousel in the first place

his star wars tweet was very funny and I will die on this hill

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Bean Dad sure was a Day on the Internet.

Also, Ken has very much tweeted left-wing ideas and the boomers who are the primary audience of this show did not like that he is a proponent of Bernie Sanders' ideas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I swear there was a bad one about women in wheelchairs but tbh I'd still rank "made some lovely jokes ten years ago" above the anti-vaxx lady.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I swear there was a bad one about women in wheelchairs but tbh I'd still rank "made some lovely jokes ten years ago" above the anti-vaxx lady.

Yeah, it was like "There's nothing sadder than a hot person in a wheelchair" which I mean he apologized for it and there have been a shitloads of way dumber things said on the internet by a lot of the other people who also vied for the job including the person they're ultimately going to give it to.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

1glitch0 posted:

Calling actors by their most famous character's name is lame, sometimes can be a way to denigrate them, sometimes not. But she's stupid so who cares.

I saw an interview with Ed O'Neill where he talked about people calling him "Al Bundy" in public once Married...with children became popular. At first , he got pissed because up to that point he had done a lot of serious work. Eventually, he realized that being recognized for any work was good recognition and he just rolled with it.

I don't see calling an actor by a character's name an insult for the most part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it's incredible that a bad taste joke or two spooked the powers that be but Bialik having a list of awful unscientific (or just awful in general) positions and having zero connection to the show didn't dissuade them. I think everyone assumed Ken was going to be the next host except for the people pulling the strings.

I thought it was fair to use her character name too since they picked her for playing a character on Big Bang Theory and seemingly no other reason.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What’s the single game record for correct answers?

Amy was 41/60 tonight which is insane.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Steve has a voice for radio. God drat.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Douchebag posted:

What’s the single game record for correct answers?

Amy was 41/60 tonight which is insane.

leszek, steve chernicoff and brian weikle also had a 41, holzhauer and amodio had 43 each once, ken had a 45 with three misses (!!!)

might be missing some or have incomplete info but i think those are all right

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Spokes posted:

leszek, steve chernicoff and brian weikle also had a 41, holzhauer and amodio had 43 each once, ken had a 45 with three misses (!!!)

might be missing some or have incomplete info but i think those are all right

I did some searching and I know James went 40/40 once. Amy had 41 tonight and I don’t know how many misses, but not many.

Ken with 45 and 3 misses is insane to me.

One of the things I really enjoy about Ken hosting is he points out little stats here and there. Tonight being Amy answering 41 correct. He really loves and appreciates the history of the game and it shows.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Huh, a few dozen tweets. I guess Amy lo...

Oh, for Pete's sake

Look, I was making the same stuff a few months ago (check the thread). It was dumb then and it's dumb now. HookShot made it clear to me if not all of us that she doesn't tolerate that talk about Dr. Bialik for the reasons given and I apolgized & stopped doing it. I do not think she is a better host than Alex or Buzzy or Ken but that is only my opinion and will refrain from saying anything else about her other work outside of Jeopardy on this thread. It's one thing to poo poo talk about stuff like game shows, hockey teams or whatever else but when a line is crossed like that where the opinion turns into toxic sludge, then it should stop.

Now, who knew Ethel Merman was in Annie?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ethel Merman originated the role!

I think talking about Bialik's other work is totally appropriate, especially the brain drugs ads.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They put in those ads, "I'm an actual neuroscientist."

Looked it up on youtube. The company has the ad as a video and the comments are turned off. :lol:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

No one here had a problem with George Stephanopolous, so they can learn Mayim or Biyalik.
We've been over this, it's Stroumboulopoulos.

(yes I had to look up how to spell Strombo's name)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I had no idea about Ethel Merman or SJP being in those musicals but I guessed it correctly just based on the part about having the same name

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

They put in those ads, "I'm an actual neuroscientist."

Looked it up on youtube. The company has the ad as a video and the comments are turned off. :lol:

I can’t tell you how much I hate these commercials. Smarmy is the word that comes to mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

goethe.cx posted:

I had no idea about Ethel Merman or SJP being in those musicals but I guessed it correctly just based on the part about having the same name

Yeah, I guessed "Annie" just based on probability, due to that name being used in the title of 2 musicals I could think of. Kind of surprised none of the contestants did the same. I don't even know musical theater all that well. Seemed like some of them were just picking names at random. Maybe my lack of knowledge of musical theater is why I didn't recognize their guesses, though.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

I think I did itt, lemme check.

edit: nope, but I did call him that irl even though I know his name.

relatedly, I don't respect mayim and it has nothing to do with her gender. she's pretty lovely. Geordie otoh helped me to enjoy reading when I was younger and upon subsequent rewatches his character on ST was awesome.

further, Colm Meaney played O'Brien on two ST series and when he was revealed to be (non-trek spoiler) Charlie's real dad on Always Sunny I still called him O'Brien. Same for when he was in Layer Cake.

vvvvv polite lol that he is Irish, actually.

fun fact, too: With 225 total appearances on Star Trek, he has made more appearances on the franchise than any other actor except Michael Dorn.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It is canon that there is an exception for actors who have an extremely thick scottish accent.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Noted Scotsmen Colm Meaney and Miles O'Brien

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I guessed "Annie" just based on probability, due to that name being used in the title of 2 musicals I could think of. Kind of surprised none of the contestants did the same. I don't even know musical theater all that well. Seemed like some of them were just picking names at random. Maybe my lack of knowledge of musical theater is why I didn't recognize their guesses, though.
Mary and Melissa were almost certainly random / "well Mary is a common name...?"

The guess of Rose was based on Gypsy, as Ken said. I don't think Amy had another role named Rose in mind, but she knew Ethel Merman played Rose and it's a huge role/show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

It is canon that there is an exception for actors who have an extremely thick scottish accent.

You're not allowed to refer to James Doohan as Scotty, instead you're legally required to do so.

Looking at my own habits, I think I do this to a lot of actors, and it does seem to happen more frequently with male actors. Shatner is always Kirk, John Rhys-Davies is always Gimli, Chris Hemsworth is always Thor (especially because I never remember which Hemsworth is which)....

I'm not saying I disagree with Hookshot, just that it isn't that uncommon a mental shortcut. It really depends on the name and character name, if they're really that well known for anything else, etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Chris is the famous one, Liam is the other one. If there are others they’re not important.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

Mary and Melissa were almost certainly random / "well Mary is a common name...?"

The guess of Rose was based on Gypsy, as Ken said. I don't think Amy had another role named Rose in mind, but she knew Ethel Merman played Rose and it's a huge role/show.

The only reason I knew "everything's coming up roses" was something of ethyl merman's signature song was her cameo gag in Airplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZdqsCW8vM

Edit: but I'm guessing this turned out to be about Annie Get Your Gun?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Speaking if Bialik being a dogshit host, have an interview of her that is just kinda generically boring but includes a great line like her not even watching Jeopardy until recently which tbh genuinely does explain why she's such a black hole up there and doesn't seem to get the difference between Alex ribbing people and poo poo like literally laughing at contestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csn7HYbKwhc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most Americans are too cruel and self-centered to understand the nature of gentle ribbing. You need a Canadian for that most of the time. Ken picked it up osmotically from a life in quiz-show and para-quiz-show environments.