Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

MuLepton posted:

Quoting this, but this is not to disagree with you, orange. I just don’t know why people would say that deathrattle priest has no win condition. It’s clearly “punch your opponent in the face with 5/5s, 6/6s and 8/8s (some of which may be resurrected)”. Also, “shoot your opponent for 5 damage every other turn” - it’s not like the priest just sits there and does nothing except play removal.

It’s actually really funny that a deck that fights for the board and wants to win through board control (something that most people seem to actually want) is accused of having no win condition and called “misery priest”, especially in a meta of super uninteractive decks.

I played a lot of DR priest last month and just crafted the quest. I'd agree with this, it's more a testament to the power level of the other deck that you need to drop 5 chunky minions 4 or 5 turns in a row to get past a lot of the other decks in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Goon vs Goon:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/42ctrcFJDfs9LREYKGCuJk

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

That heal priest looks fun.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Olpainless posted:

That heal priest looks fun.

It's hilarious, check my posts upthread for a list and pls report back if you make it better.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

MuLepton posted:

Quoting this, but this is not to disagree with you, orange. I just don’t know why people would say that deathrattle priest has no win condition. It’s clearly “punch your opponent in the face with 5/5s, 6/6s and 8/8s (some of which may be resurrected)”. Also, “shoot your opponent for 5 damage every other turn” - it’s not like the priest just sits there and does nothing except play removal.

It’s actually really funny that a deck that fights for the board and wants to win through board control (something that most people seem to actually want) is accused of having no win condition and called “misery priest”, especially in a meta of super uninteractive decks.

Fat taunt minions on turns 5/6/7 isn't a good enough wincon in modern Hearthstone. It used to be, but with the current meta everyone can either remove them all or beat you over the top with combo. The only decks that consistently lose to that game plan are... face Hunter, probably Shaman, and occasionally Paladin if you really tech for that matchup with silence and weapon removal. Literally every other meta deck doesn't care about your big stuff unless they drew horribly.

The reason people call it misery Priest is because you're basically grinding to be the last man standing with a meaningful minion and/or removal. It's a wholly reactive deck, you really have no proactive plays unless you run N'Zoth (which is very, very slow) or the resurrection card (which is even slower than N'zoth somehow). I agree that it's a perception thing mostly, but it's a bit justified because the deathrattle deck doesn't play a single minion until they're on 5 mana (or got really lucky before that). Once they do put down minions, it's one at a time and since they're taunt/deathrattle you're basically forcing the opponent to trade into you instead of ever being the aggressor. Druid also has a similar reactive deck using their hero, but because of it's ramp it tends to be a lot more explosive once it actually flips the switch.

Basically, Priest plays about one card per turn and in the current meta that's extremely miserable for everyone involved.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Today I learned that Grey Sage Parrot does not care about spells with reduced cost. Playing it after a discounted 4 mana Arcane Overflow will repeat that instead of the 9 mana spell from the turn before.

Yes, this may very well have always been the case with regards to discounted cards, but I found out today.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mcbexx posted:

Today I learned that Grey Sage Parrot does not care about spells with reduced cost. Playing it after a discounted 4 mana Arcane Overflow will repeat that instead of the 9 mana spell from the turn before.

Yes, this may very well have always been the case with regards to discounted cards, but I found out today.

someone lethal'd me the other day in wild with those big parrots, potion of illusion and the time warp spell. Just by taking like 6 turns in a row and bopping me with the 4 attack parrots over and over again. It is a really cool card that I wish got way more support in the standard format.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

I played a lot of DR priest last month and just crafted the quest. I'd agree with this, it's more a testament to the power level of the other deck that you need to drop 5 chunky minions 4 or 5 turns in a row to get past a lot of the other decks in play.

The power creeping of sets this year was pretty rough. Otoh thief rogue, while likely needing a nerf (gnoll), isn't as pure RNG bs like lyra. And Poison Rogue never stopped being viable!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Starsfan posted:

someone lethal'd me the other day in wild with those big parrots, potion of illusion and the time warp spell. Just by taking like 6 turns in a row and bopping me with the 4 attack parrots over and over again. It is a really cool card that I wish got way more support in the standard format.

Yeah I got done by that once. It would suck to play against regularly but it was cool to see.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

This morning was atrocious for RNG and facing overtuned decks. There needs to be a round of nerfs for fast decks with unlimited gas. And they need to do something about coldarra drake and scabbs hero. Sure, you don't lose your turn when they spam their hero power, but their turn lasts for 5 minutes each time (at least).

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
How did the Rogue get coldarra drake? If they used Lady Prestor then honestly good on them.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

victorious posted:

How did the Rogue get coldarra drake? If they used Lady Prestor then honestly good on them.

In standard this happens via Swashburglar

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nah, it was with cerathine. And no, not good on them, just BM spamming their hero power for nothing.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

Nah, it was with cerathine. And no, not good on them, just BM spamming their hero power for nothing.

Lmao that's even better.

Best Ive done is a Lady Prestor deck with Demon Hunter, hoping for a Coldarra to combo with Felfire Deadeye for infinite damage hero powers.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Couldn't you also get it from Wand Thief -> font of power?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I was sitting there patting my cat, and they were wasting time when they were in a very dominant position.

I said Coldarra drake in the core set was a wasted slot for mage. And it was, because it only enables degenerate stuff for other classes that get lucky generating it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

fanny packrat posted:

Couldn't you also get it from Wand Thief -> font of power?

You could. There are a few ways to get it in rogue.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

You can get any card with Parrrley :cheerdoge:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It turns out from a recent interview with Dean that there's nobody behind the wheel for arena balance currently, since the guy who oversaw micro-adjustments recently left to join second dinner, and his pet project was a program that calculated and adjusted the arena meta which nobody now has access to :shepface:

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 11, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Beasteh posted:

It turns out from a recent interview with Dean that there's nobody behind the wheel for arena balance currently, since the guy who oversaw micro-adjustments recently left to join second dinner, and his pet project was a program that calculated and adjusted the arena meta which nobody now has access to :shepface:

holy poo poo :rubby:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
what do you expect from a small indie company

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This dumb Zoo/Heal Priest deck makes me so happy:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vXpfzvLoDP2FazPKgGAac2

### ZooPriest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Gift of the Naaru
# 2x (1) Imprisoned Homunculus
# 1x (1) Inner Fire
# 2x (1) Lightwarden
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 2x (1) Shadow Word: Devour
# 2x (2) Bless
# 2x (2) Holy Ripple
# 2x (2) Lightwell
# 2x (2) Luminous Geode
# 2x (2) Upgradeable Framebot
# 2x (3) Stormpike Aid Station
# 2x (4) Lightsteed
# 1x (4) Xyrella
#
AAEBAZ/HAgL4AtTtAw7lBJ0G8gz3DJH7AtOlA7C6A/rjA6LoA4SjBIajBImjBIqjBPO2BAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Such a cheap Wild build for so much fun.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
thief rogue decks are just loving broken in standard. 4/5 gnoll with rush playable on turn 2. no point in playing at the moment.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Lum_ posted:

thief rogue decks are just loving broken in standard. 4/5 gnoll with rush playable on turn 2. no point in playing at the moment.

You almost never see the Gnoll in Wild come join the fun.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Lum_ posted:

yes the rush Yeti is annoying but is it the card that is truly broken or is it the 1 mana sprint that has been plaguing standard since it's introduction?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Starsfan posted:

yes the rush Yeti is annoying but is it the card that is truly broken or is it the 1 mana sprint that has been plaguing standard since it's introduction?

Remember when passage drew 5?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

Nah, Secret Passage is fine. In general, card draw opens opportunity, while mana cheat is usually the broken thing.

The rush yeti is singlehandidly dictating the entire early game meta right now, as in which minions are worth even putting into your deck to play on turns 1-3.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Any meta where you can drop 4/4+ of stats on 1 or 2 is problematic.

Fun fact - in wild, i think one of the most problematic cards for pirate decks is parachute pirate for the same reason (also any cannon card should be played, not summon/attack)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Nah, Secret Passage is fine. In general, card draw opens opportunity, while mana cheat is usually the broken thing.

The rush yeti is singlehandidly dictating the entire early game meta right now, as in which minions are worth even putting into your deck to play on turns 1-3.

I mean.. the rush yet is cheated down 4 or 5 mana each time they play it, but isn't that also arguably true for secret passage? It's an effect that has historically been associated with 6 mana that can be played for 1. How is that not mana cheat? (albeit of an intrinsic nature instead of something the player is actively manipulating).

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

You can't keep the cards that you draw with secret passage, you have to play them that turn or trade them away or whatever.

I agree it's probably still a little too strong but that's the reason it's not really a 1 mana sprint. It demands a deckbuilding restriction.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

I mean.. the rush yet is cheated down 4 or 5 mana each time they play it, but isn't that also arguably true for secret passage? It's an effect that has historically been associated with 6 mana that can be played for 1. How is that not mana cheat? (albeit of an intrinsic nature instead of something the player is actively manipulating).

Yea, Secret Passage technically isn't draw, it's more like "look at 4 cards, you may play them this turn, also you can't do anything with the cards you had in hand as a downside".

So 5 cards at 1-mana was under-costed enough to effectively feel like "mana cheat", but when I said the term mana cheat before I really meant adjusting the actual mana cost of stuff.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

It's official, Alliance won the AV event.

Have fun Alliance players who thought they were going to have a free diamond Drek deposited to their account.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ferroque posted:

You can't keep the cards that you draw with secret passage, you have to play them that turn or trade them away or whatever.

I agree it's probably still a little too strong but that's the reason it's not really a 1 mana sprint. It demands a deckbuilding restriction.

The deckbuilding restriction is putting cards in your deck that you want to play the same turn that you draw them because they either draw more cards or create value? that's not too hard to do for rogue.

**and I mean I know comparing it to sprint is kind of inaccurate because sprint is (obviously) costed too highly.. like nobody is putting sprint in their deck, or Hand of Gul'dan with no way to discard it. But the feedback from everyone about the Gnoll is "I wouldn't care if it came down on turn 3 or 4, just don't let it happen on turn 1 or 2.. and secret passage is the card that enables that, as well as basically being one of the top cards in every rogue deck that has ever existed.

Like I would be shocked if secret passage wasn't the most played class card in the time it's been in rotation by a wide margin. 2nd is probably swindle... don't even know what else would even come close.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 12, 2022

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Navaash posted:

Have fun Alliance players who thought they were going to have a free diamond Drek deposited to their account.

go horde free vanndar

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny, because I wish more Classes played like Rogue in general. It's by far the most interesting Class that has an established identity.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Navaash posted:

gently caress.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Alliance always won in AV - map imbalance.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just had a mage "mirror", he got quest, I got a big spell mage.

I won by never playing a minion and killed him with hero power + Mask of C'thun + Magister Varden Hero.

I think I played exactly 5 cards the whole match.

Easily the dumbest game I have ever played in all of Hearthstone, even surpassing any Warlock/Mage Quest mirrors.

http://hsreplay.net/replay/YCNje8HYpAzyvZN7nbscTm

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 12, 2022

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

So I was trying to complete the Rolling In Their Grave achievement for having minions die while Snowfall Graveyard is active and thought I'd give Dane's Wild Deathrattle deck a go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew936QAZUnk

Turns out yeah, it's good:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Beasteh posted:

it's a shame, he was the guy that posted legend winrates occasionally. would be nice if another data nerd showed up

Quotey fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 12, 2022