Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a client I've been trying to see about upgrading their internet from 20/20 to gigabit fiber. They pay $900 a month for a connection that was considered mediocre in 2005.

I have spent 6 hours over 3 days trying to get AT&T to give me info on upgrading but not one single department can even find their account number anywhere.

Turns out, this connection is so old, that the branch of AT&T that supported it doesn't even exist anymore. I literally can't do anything with it.

But I can convert it into a small business account that is 1gig up/down for $150 a month.

They've been paying $900 a month for this connection for over 15 years

So I get to tell these people I'm about to increase their internet speed 50x while also saving them $700 a month. I better get some kudos for this.

You need to be shouting this from the rooftops. It should be in every meeting with your boss and his boss. It should be part of your leverage for a significant pay bump and bonus. Do not stop banging on about how good you are, and use this as a prime example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Keep a text file on your personal computer with accomplishments like this. Then, when you do your yearly resume updating (because every year is yotj) you get to put a bullet on your resume 'Saved X clients y thousands of dollars per year by updating infrastructure etc'

Additionally, you do onboarding, right? Your clients will tell you 'oh God our computers are so slow' or whatever. Send an email to your boss saying 'they really need new computers, let's get this on the next business review meeting'. Then you get to put 'increased sales by X thousands of dollars per year by identifying infrastructure bottlenecks' on your resume too.

When it's not quite yotj and you just want more money, you now have dollar figures about why your boss should give you extra money or a percent of commission or whatever.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a telecom. They'll find a way to gently caress it up.

That's what the cynic in me says.

Is it still cynical if it's factual

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I re-did our Verizon phone contracts a few months ago. I moved us from these poo poo 10 gig a month plans to unlimited plans which saved the org about $2500/month in overage fees.

No one gave a gently caress.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh, they did, they just don't want to tell you that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

Is it still cynical if it's factual
Why did you ask if X is still X?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So I was doxxed by some transphobe who tried to use my Twitter account to get me fired.

So it looks like 2022 is going to be :yotj: again for me woooo

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

larchesdanrew posted:

So I was doxxed by some transphobe who tried to use my Twitter account to get me fired.

gently caress sake, that's awful

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress that and gently caress any job that caves to that poo poo. You deserve a workplace that will stand up for you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

gently caress that and gently caress any job that caves to that poo poo. You deserve a workplace that will stand up for you.

This

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Arquinsiel posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Arquinsiel posted:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arquinsiel posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh for fucks sake :argh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I thought this job was the one that had your back when you had issues with a client?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

I thought this job was the one that had your back when you had issues with a client?

Sadly it’s easier to support an employee against organizational than politics/sex issues. Hopefully they will assist larches but i’m not certain.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Yeahhhh but perhaps having her back when it's a business issue with a client isn't the same to them as having her back when they didn't know and found out she was trans, because, y'know, people are awful. And it's no one's business what genitalia she started life with nor should it matter for a loving job because unless you're a sex worker it has no bearing on your job performance, but, well, <gestures at the human race>.

And people tell me to be less misanthrophic. It's real hard sometimes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arquinsiel posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeahhhh but perhaps having her back when it's a business issue with a client isn't the same to them as having her back when they didn't know and found out she was trans, because, y'know, people are awful. And it's no one's business what genitalia she started life with nor should it matter for a loving job because unless you're a sex worker it has no bearing on your job performance, but, well, <gestures at the human race>.

And people tell me to be less misanthrophic. It's real hard sometimes.

the job had her back specifically on being trans previously

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

RFC2324 posted:

the job had her back specifically on being trans previously

Whoops, I'd forgotten it was that. OK then....wtf.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I probably should have been more clear. They definitely have my back. They told me they can’t police what I write on my own social media and since I never specifically mentioned my work or any identifiable information they don’t really give a poo poo.

I’m mostly embarrassed and scared. Embarrassed because my boss has now both seen not exactly PG pictures of my body and has read tweets where I specifically mention wanting to “get my rear end ate like groceries” and I’m pretty sure any chance of respect moving forward is going to be either strained or impossible. Even if that’s not true, now I feel awkward working for someone who has seen that side of me so I think it’s best I move on.

Scared because someone out there did some deep digging to figure out who I am for no other reason than I exist and I have no clue who it is or how far they’re going to go. I’ve basically deleted my entire online presence except for this forum and, like, Snapchat. If it was anyone here I’m sure they would have pointed to my post history here so I’m not too terribly concerned about this hellsite.

Still though, I just hate this.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ooof. that really sucks

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That’s really lovely and I’m sorry you have to deal with that in tyol 2022.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I'm sorry to hear you have to put up with that poo poo. At least your employer has your back.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Larches, I hope you're pleasantly surprised and that your job search is short. gently caress the haters.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Stay strong! Haters suck.

Best of luck lawyering up and finding out who dun it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You gotta do what makes you feel safest.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why are some people such awful human beings? FFS, no one should have to deal with this kind of poo poo! I'm sorry you have to deal with this, larchesdanrew.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You have this entire forum cheering for your success and wanting the best for you. I'm so sorry that you have to face this nightmare scenario, but I do hope it's resolved quickly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

my cat is norris posted:

You have this entire forum cheering for your success and wanting the best for you. I'm so sorry that you have to face this nightmare scenario, but I do hope it's resolved quickly.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

my cat is norris posted:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

my cat is norris posted:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

my cat is norris posted:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

my cat is norris posted:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

my cat is norris posted:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

my cat is norris posted:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

my cat is norris posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

my cat is norris posted:

This