Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'd prefer an official Stellaris style game for the expanse tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
There's just not enough emphasis in the series on ground combat, yeah. Even ship to ship battles are realistically just hours of waiting for torpedos to do something and then maybe PDCs rip a few bursts. If anything maybe a crying suns/FTL type thing would be more fitting, but honestly I just don't really see the IP translating well to video games, and I'm ok with that.

There's a pnp rpg somewhere out there which makes sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Imagine Elite Dangerous’ game engine but with an actual plot, imo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

As much as I don't see it when my friend says "Amos reminds me a lot of you," I probably am Murder Cuddles.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 12, 2022

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Proto-polycule lmbo

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
you all have got it wrong

dwarf fortress but it's belters and if you dig too deeply and greedily... well there is protomolocule in them thar hills

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ratjaculation posted:

Proto-polycule lmbo

New thread title imo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kesper North posted:

New thread title imo

At this rate, we're going to get all the way through season 6 with the thread title still referencing season 5!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Apparently a small rumour going around the film union is that there's going to be a movie. Anyone else heard this, or is this some broken-telephone 'my uncle who works at Nintendo' poo poo I'm being fed?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holden is a basically a ultra-lucky Space Himbo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Speaker posted:

Apparently a small rumour going around the film union is that there's going to be a movie. Anyone else heard this, or is this some broken-telephone 'my uncle who works at Nintendo' poo poo I'm being fed?

There have been endless rumors going around since they first said this would be the last season. I wouldn't waste time paying attention to any of them. If there's a movie we'll find out eventually.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CPColin posted:

At this rate, we're going to get all the way through season 6 with the thread title still referencing season 5!

"Oh James you truly are one of a kind" would have been an apt successor

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

reverend wololo lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

reverend wololo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_T7E360Zo

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
*really into CHOCK

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Ratjaculation posted:

Proto-polycule lmbo

+1 thread title

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Living embodiment of gently caress you lol

Extra but in a good loving way is good too

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
My personal fave is "blame thrower"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I said come in! posted:

Sorry, I would have thought the Star Citizen part would be a give away that i'm just poo poo posting. :P But I do wish an Expanse single player space sim existed. I'm really excited for the adventure game coming out though.

I'm not close to gaming these days so that went over my head.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Look up the IMDB credits for Star Citizen. They raised a mind blowing amount of money from stupid desperate people.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they also filmed cutscenes probably as long as the expanse starring gary oldman and gillian anderson before, you know, finishing the game

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mister Speaker posted:

if there's going to be a movie then the corey team has lied about no one asking them to do anything more expanse-related (and that comment was in response to an online rumor article talking about how the last episode was going to drop with a movie announcement.) given the lack of marketing amazon has done for this big final season, and how it's shorter, and how getting the soundtrack released seems to be a dead end, and not even getting into the drama with cas anvar, i wouldn't count on amazon (or anyone) deciding to do a major theatrical movie.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 12, 2022

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Imagine Elite Dangerous’ game engine but with an actual plot, imo

The sad thing is that Elite already has a 3-faction political system and a mysterious alien threat but they're all entirely inconsequential

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Captain Splendid posted:

The sad thing is that Elite already has a 3-faction political system and a mysterious alien threat but they're all entirely inconsequential

These can be literally cut out and thrown away so little they add to the game itself.
Literally just a few pages of exposition text and 5 ingame models.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Drum Solo" would have been pretty good even without "proto-polycule"

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
As games go, this looks to capture the Expanse flavor: https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Everyone in here is so tense you need some nice calming guided meditation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYUuN0CJ3N5/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
There was some Amazon Live thing which has a bit for the Expanse:

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/9a93cba9-44ba-46c7-9313-fd4909b0caca/ref=live_prod_shohrehaghdashloo_01222?location=discover

Someone transcribed this set of answers, I'm not exactly sure what point in the interview it happens since I haven't watched it all. Putting the quote in code tags so it can be quoted on.
code:
Ty and Dan were asked by the hosts what fans can do to help carry the story on from the final 3 books.

Their answers:

Ty - don't bother Amazon. They've been great to work with. Whether the show is done or away for a period of time, be kind to them.

Dan - We can't talk about everything going on behind the scenes right now.

Ty - There is a lot happening that the fans don't know about -

Dan - And that we can't talk about

Ty - so if they can just wait and see. Please. Don't be mean to Amazon.

Cara - In the mean time, buy the books, check out the game about to come out, I am starting production on that on Monday actually [..] Stay involved, there is a lot going on still.
Edit: go to 10 minutes in for the question/answer. The above transcribed text is paraphrased.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 13, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

they also filmed cutscenes probably as long as the expanse starring gary oldman and gillian anderson before, you know, finishing the game

The single player story part of the game is still 5 years out, yeah. Its been in development since 2011. 100% chance its a scam and there isn't actually a game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pik_d posted:

There was some Amazon Live thing which has a bit for the Expanse:

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/9a93cba9-44ba-46c7-9313-fd4909b0caca/ref=live_prod_shohrehaghdashloo_01222?location=discover

Someone transcribed this set of answers, I'm not exactly sure what point in the interview it happens since I haven't watched it all. Putting the quote in code tags so it can be quoted on.
code:
Ty and Dan were asked by the hosts what fans can do to help carry the story on from the final 3 books.

Their answers:

Ty - don't bother Amazon. They've been great to work with. Whether the show is done or away for a period of time, be kind to them.

Dan - We can't talk about everything going on behind the scenes right now.

Ty - There is a lot happening that the fans don't know about -

Dan - And that we can't talk about

Ty - so if they can just wait and see. Please. Don't be mean to Amazon.

Cara - In the mean time, buy the books, check out the game about to come out, I am starting production on that on Monday actually [..] Stay involved, there is a lot going on still.
Edit: go to 10 minutes in for the question/answer. The above transcribed text is paraphrased.

gently caress yeah

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Expanse’s biggest downfall will always be how much IP it ripped off from the 1999 theatrical release of Wing Commander. They were even going to cast Freddie Prince Jr as Holden until he said nope, “been there done that.” The show would probably be seeing another three seasons if it a) wasn’t for the absence of Freddie and b) the complete lack of TV show tie-in merchandise. They could’ve released an entire clothing and action figure line like so many viewers asked them to but they didn’t. If you are upset that this show’s final season only got 6 episodes if I were you I’d blame the wing commander movie for how famous it made Freddie, and Hollywood’s socioeconomic reliance on action figures to turn a buck. Don’t blame Star Citizen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does the show at least end on a good note? Remember season 8 of Game of Thrones. Careful what you wish for.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

I said come in! posted:

Does the show at least end on a good note? Remember season 8 of Game of Thrones. Careful what you wish for.

Well, the key differences here are that the source material for the Expanse is actually complete and the authors are considerably more invested in the show than GRRM was.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

Well it hasn't ended yet, so who knows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ApeHawk posted:

Well, the key differences here are that the source material for the Expanse is actually complete and the authors are considerably more invested in the show than GRRM was.

Also the show runners aren't trying to rush though it so they can make a Star Wars show about the CSA winning the Civil War

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I said come in! posted:

The books end on a good note. It's a little laborious in getting there, but what isn't when it's 9 books long? Not every moment is completely brilliant. It's still a great ride with a satisfying ending.

The show has in general improved upon the books. Most of the major plot points and characters in the show are better realized. A few more minor things and some of the neat near-science and sci-fantasy stuff gets a better treatment in the books.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Expanse’s biggest downfall will always be how much IP it ripped off from the 1999 theatrical release of Wing Commander. They were even going to cast Freddie Prince Jr as Holden until he said nope, “been there done that.” The show would probably be seeing another three seasons if it a) wasn’t for the absence of Freddie and b) the complete lack of TV show tie-in merchandise. They could’ve released an entire clothing and action figure line like so many viewers asked them to but they didn’t. If you are upset that this show’s final season only got 6 episodes if I were you I’d blame the wing commander movie for how famous it made Freddie, and Hollywood’s socioeconomic reliance on action figures to turn a buck. Don’t blame Star Citizen.

this is a masterpiece

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Never forget that Star Citizen "exists" because Chris Roberts' previous game studio got purchased by Microsoft for a fraction of its value because Roberts pissed away the development budget for Freelancer on the Wing Commander movie, resulting in Freelancer coming out three years late, four years of technology behind, and with a quarter of the intended features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I hope Amos and Holden finally kiss tomorrow