Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Amy Sedaris but yeah - her character is walking with 3 pit droids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Ep 3 of Boba was hilarious. This was 100% a 13 year old DM's mid to late 80's adventure for their buddies. So many mini-quests. The cyberpunk cyborg street gangers on colorful vespas. The incredibly low speed chase. The sensitive rancor bonding on Boba like a baby duckling. Emotionally complex creatures who can become very loving. So many laugh out loud moments.

But I will say that Ming-Na Wen should be in charge, not Boba.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Vintersorg posted:

Amy Sedaris but yeah - her character is walking with 3 pit droids.

:ughh: Somehow the big, curly hair and the sci-fi setting got me mixed up with Ripley when recalling the character, ugh. I don't have goon faceblindness, I swear :smith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ccubed posted:

Ep 3 of Boba was hilarious. This was 100% a 13 year old DM's mid to late 80's adventure for their buddies. So many mini-quests. The cyberpunk cyborg street gangers on colorful vespas. The incredibly low speed chase. The sensitive rancor bonding on Boba like a baby duckling. Emotionally complex creatures who can become very loving. So many laugh out loud moments.

This is what made Rebels good, so hopefully they keep pulling from their old D6 campaigns.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That slow speeder chase through the streets of Mos Espa were something else. Robert Rodriguez must have just been chuckling like a gently caress during the story boarding and while filming of that sequence.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ballz posted:

I just want to know how a 9 foot tall wookie snuck into Boba’s chambers without a single person or droid noticing.

WHAT IF…47 had hair? Like a lot of hair?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TK-42-1 posted:

This episode hosed ruled and all y’all complaining have no joy left in your souls. Just take things for what they are.

Better things aren’t possible. That’s not what these shows are about.

You can be critical of things you enjoy, it's ok to do that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ccubed posted:

But I will say that Ming-Na Wen should be in charge, not Boba.

I was just thinking of

But really "tabletop RPG adventure" is a great mode for a Star Wars TV show, I won't complain.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Xelkelvos posted:

The chase was definitely bad and needed to be at least 1.5x faster.

Look closely at some of the moments at the very beginning (as the majordomo speeds away) and end of the chase (as Drash stops her bike) and you'll see that the video is sped up on purpose. It still looks very weird. Also, having both the protocol droid and the bith rickshaw in the scene was too much, it felt like the same gag reused twice.
I'm fine with the Vespa designs and the out-of-place primary colors (I remember feeling the same way when I first saw the Naboo fighters in 1999), but that chase still isn't a hight point of the show for me.

Nice to see a callback to the Stormtrooper spikes being erected in Mos Eisley, but I thought it would lead to a scene where Boba asks the guy why he's doing it and finding out that way that the Empire has been defeated. For a guy who spent quite some time in service of the Empire, it feels weird not to have a scene in which he finds out how the political landscape has shifted. After all, this is the first time he's back in mainstream civilization after being in the Sarlacc and in the Tusken tribe (if you don't count his brief interlude at Tosche station, but I doubt anyone was talking politics to him in there).

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
matt berry droid

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Other bits of “I don’t know know Star Wars as well as I thought I did” from this show:

- I have no idea how you guys are telling all the Tusken Raiders apart, or knowing which ones are female. I know “kid Tusken” and “tribe leader Tusken” and that’s it. And they both died (I think?)

- I always thought Jabba’s Palace was in/near Mos Eisley. Though I guess it makes more sense for it to be in Mos Espa.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Owlbear Camus posted:

If I were going to fall down the trap of Tactical Realism might as well ask why he didn't just blast him in his waterbed and peace out instead of throwing him around a little and then getting teamstomped once the alert was up.
He clearly wanted to give Boba a chance and Boba returned the favor by not murdering him

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

teagone posted:

That’s not who I was talking to. There’s always a bunch of piss on everything goons. They know who they are. Legitimate complaints like the overall speed of the chase felt off, the cgi wasn’t always super great and will look really bad in 5-10 years time, the general lack of a narrative that feels significant, off screen decimation of a group of characters that we just spent 2 hours getting to know and enjoy. These are all valid complaints. However if you take a big step back from having the hottest take and just accept it as it is then the episode was a lot of fun and had a lot of elements that weren’t necessarily star wars as it was but as it could be.

So in summary being critical of something without also expressing the good parts is just being a pissbaby with nothing meaningful to say other than hoping your take is somehow original. (it’s not)

This isn’t directed at you. It’s ok to think something ruled and yet had flaws. Nothing is perfect. Nothing ever will be. Stop being negative unless it’s just utterly egregious like so many prestige shows that apparently all media has to emulate now.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Man, somebodies Edge of Empire campaign is getting ripped off because Boba's crew is gonna be him the retired Mandalorian bounty hunter, a bionic sharpshooter assassin, a scary rear end wookie gladiator, a tuskan sand ninja lady, and a depressed rancor puppy. I guess the rich kids slumming vespa gang are a gestalt techy/slicer.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The United States posted:

He clearly wanted to give Boba a chance and Boba returned the favor by not murdering him

He wanted to not be the "killed the _________ while they were asleep" guy. He's got some pride, and Boba's earlier remark got under his fur. He needed Boba to be awake, but not enough to be a hassle.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

OldSenileGuy posted:

Other bits of “I don’t know know Star Wars as well as I thought I did” from this show:

- I have no idea how you guys are telling all the Tusken Raiders apart, or knowing which ones are female. I know “kid Tusken” and “tribe leader Tusken” and that’s it. And they both died (I think?)

- I always thought Jabba’s Palace was in/near Mos Eisley. Though I guess it makes more sense for it to be in Mos Espa.

The tusken who taught Boba how to fight and whipped his rear end and took over the train is a lithe, athletic tusken and is infact played by a stunt woman. That tusken immediately read as female to me on the show :shrug:

Eau de MacGowan posted:

matt berry droid

When he popped up from behind the rancor in that shot of boba petting it, I laughed. New star wars has a kind of comedy aspect to it that I really enjoy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Female tuskens both in this show and in AOTC have a layered shawl draped over their shoulders. The AOTC women (and children too!) have a more elaborate shawl with a unique headdress, while the more athletic lady featured in BOBF keeps the shoulders but has a more typical headpiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

People say this but I never really see it. If someone is largely critical of something they usually do not like it. Or if they are i guess I’m missing something.

Which is whatever, fine. You don’t have to like it. But idk.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
sad old goon yells at cool space teenagers to get their sick bikes off his nostalgia lawn.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

People say this but I never really see it. If someone is largely critical of something they usually do not like it. Or if they are i guess I’m missing something.

I am often extremely critical of Star Wars and Star Trek, two things I deeply love and have loved since childhood. Analyzing the elements of things you love to see why they don’t always work can often give you a deeper appreciation of the elements that do work.

That said, there’s a big difference between complaining about something in media as a way of examining why it may have worked for some but didn’t work for you, and complaining about something in a show just for the sake of saying something negative to prove to everyone how enlightened and superior your own tastes must be. Goons (and the internet at large) do a whole lot of the latter.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CelticPredator posted:

my dude have you visited the cyberpunk 2077 thread

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

I'm fairly critical of Star Wars in a lot of ways. But it's a series I grew up with, and despite whatever issues I might have with a show, episode, character, narrative, etc., set within this series, it'll always be something I love and appreciate because of nostalgia. That said, I feel like I know when the use of nostalgia is being abused, and that's one bit when I typically start to be openly critical.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am often extremely critical of Star Wars and Star Trek, two things I deeply love and have loved since childhood. Analyzing the elements of things you love to see why they don’t always work can often give you a deeper appreciation of the elements that do work.

That said, there’s a big difference between complaining about something in media as a way of examining why it may have worked for some but didn’t work for you, and complaining about something in a show just for the sake of saying something negative to prove to everyone how enlightened and superior your own tastes must be. Goons (and the internet at large) do a whole lot of the latter.

Pretty much this!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not talking about Star Wars as a whole. I’m talking about this show. If someone says these episodes were rated to them under 3 stars out of 10, they clearly don’t like it.

Which is fine! But they’re not being critical of something they like.

I guess I personally don’t judge one piece of Star Wars media across the whole Star Wars media landscape. If I’m being critical about say rise of skywalker I don’t think I’m being critical on the franchise. Just that film. I guess people see that differently and that’s the disconnect idk.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 13, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eau de MacGowan posted:

my dude have you visited the cyberpunk 2077 thread

No why would I do that, I don’t like video games

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The United States posted:

No one in this show wants to murder anyone. No one is ruthless and everyone is incompentent, it's such a strange spin on a gangster storyline.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

Good News: Which means we can stop talking about whether or not he's a "White Savior." Regardless of his "whiteness" none of the Tuskens were saved.

Yup, that was absolutely not what I expected.

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate to play the "my immersion" but I just don't think their design fits. Everything in tattoine is drab, run down, rusting and falling apart.

And then you have this 'street gang'

Star wars is a franchise intended for children. I know that. But that gang and that chase really made me think "christ I'm a 30 something dude watching a children's show in the middle of the day"

I thought the extremely safe car chase was a deliberate gag, it was practically worthy of Miss Marple

The cybergang is jarring, but I kind of like it, and could imply interesting things. Perhaps Tatooine's new daimyo wishes to make the city more... colorful. He and Shand also contrast sharply with the rest of the city in that photo. Perhaps taking this particular group on is a deliberate stylistic choice on Boba's part, making a political statement about the image he wants to project: a reformist, looking to the future. Or, someone willing to modify any part of himself - or the city? - to make it more effective. (Maybe after his post-bacta experience he'll want to incorporate some of his suit gadgets into his body...?

Cyberboba?
no
BOBOT FETT

but lol, RR and his fetish for pale brunettes with a cyberarm, wtfh

Owlbear Camus posted:

RE: The condition of the bikes. The kids obviously take exceptional pride in maintaining them in cherry shape as a form of self-expression.

We can take that as read from their appearance and it's an easier and more plausible conclusion than thinking the production design team forgot how weathering works for exactly one set of props out of thousands.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but imagine you're a disaffected space mod culture youth trying to express yourself on a planet where everything is tan drab and sandblasted to poo poo. The clash is the point.

:hmmyes: bingo bango

they remind me of semi trucks in India

note sand, bottom of frame

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kesper North posted:

I thought the extremely safe car chase was a deliberate gag, it was practically worthy of Miss Marple

Seeing as who directed it, I think it had to be. They know how to direct an exciting fast paced chase scene, in practical and with CG. They just decided not to. But what ever they were trying for just did not work for me.

TK-42-1 posted:

So in summary being critical of something without also expressing the good parts is just being a pissbaby with nothing meaningful to say other than hoping your take is somehow original. (it’s not)

Lol what? So I have to give a positive ratio to my critiques to balance them out?

I'm glad some of you liked the mod gang, most of you seem to like it cos its camp and silly and that jives with you, awesome but some of you are being really weirdly defensive of it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 13, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder how much it costs to have a Ralph Original hanging on one's wall on Tatooine of all places...

lol they edited Luke and C-3PO out of the painting, but left Boba Fett in. That's incredible. Poor yellow vespa dude literally crashed through a painting of his new boss trying to run down the mayor's lovely secretary.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I think everything Jon Favreau star wars is along the lines of George Lucas prequels. This is all meant for the child Jon. What did he think/want when he was a child watching the original trilogy? that's what informs everything in Mandalorian and Boba Fett.

Just because it's live action, and maybe some adult movies are referenced, DON'T think this is for adults. Because it clearly isn't. This is for children and those who want to be child-like again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ccubed posted:

I think everything Jon Favreau star wars is along the lines of George Lucas prequels. This is all meant for the child Jon. What did he think/want when he was a child watching the original trilogy? that's what informs everything in Mandalorian and Boba Fett.

Just because it's live action, and maybe some adult movies are referenced, DON'T think this is for adults. Because it clearly isn't. This is for children and those who want to be child-like again.

To quote Patrick (H.) Willems: "These are movies about space wizards made for children." Anyone who gets legitimately frothing mad about this poo poo is telling on themselves super hard and it's always a hilarious sight to behold.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That episode... just wasn't very good. I wish the conflict with the Hutts was allowed another episode or two to breathe before the reveal that they were set up. As it is, it just felt like the show immediately threw out the interesting setup from the previous episode, while also weirdly repeating the same beat (walk to see the Mayor, find out who's really behind things, etc etc). Add to that the slow paced, boring chase scene, and the few good elements (Wookie fight, Rancor) aren't enough to elevate it above "kinda crap".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That episode... just wasn't very good. I wish the conflict with the Hutts was allowed another episode or two to breathe before the reveal that they were set up. As it is, it just felt like the show immediately threw out the interesting setup from the previous episode, while also weirdly repeating the same beat (walk to see the Mayor, find out who's really behind things, etc etc). Add to that the slow paced, boring chase scene, and the few good elements (Wookie fight, Rancor) aren't enough to elevate it above "kinda crap".

Yeah the problem isn't that this is a story for children, the problem is that this feels like a DnD adventure where the DM did about 30 minutes prep for the setting and is panicing and making things up from session to session.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the problem isn't that this is a story for children, the problem is that this feels like a DnD adventure where the DM did about 30 minutes prep for the setting and is panicing and making things up from session to session.

There’s something remarkably consistent about every new iteration of Star Wars over the last 20 years being a blind reactive panic that tries to redress the screaming outrage generated by the immediate previous iteration of Star Wars, only to somehow create new outrages which the next iteration of Star Wars will have to reactively panic to try and fix in turn.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

There’s something remarkably consistent about every new iteration of Star Wars over the last 20 years being a blind reactive panic that tries to redress the screaming outrage generated by the immediate previous iteration of Star Wars, only to somehow create new outrages which the next iteration of Star Wars will have to reactively panic to try and fix in turn.

idk who you're arguing with but theres just a bunch of people going 'wow that sucked, huh' and you going 'lol so mad frothing manbabies hahaha'

like are you just being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian cause you come off about as well as that chase scene did

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

matt berry droid

Why won't she be mine?

I wish I was more attractive like Boba

Still one can only dream

I'm a 8 track smelter

Down a two way lane

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Those kids channel George Lucas hard, just in a different way then expected.

they are space mods.

so they get the song that introduced me to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtK_pppT06g

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Galaga Galaxian posted:

“The Mods don’t fit Tatooine.”

They don’t want to fit in, they want to be shiny and flashy.
This!

Also, for all the talk of of poo poo looking intentionally old and beat up on Tatooine, all of the pods in episode 1 are painted. R2 is actually painting Anakin's pod the day before the race.

Of course the paint jobs are ruined to poo poo during the race, between getting hit, blown up, and racing at insane speeds through kicked up sand.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watched the first 2 eps, big fan of temuera morrison space taiaha bullshit + whatever accent he's trying to do.

i still find the decision for these shows to have campy 80s saturday morning cartoon-style dialogue slightly insane, but whatever.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Best things about BoBF:

1) BK
2) Mayor’s majordomo
3) “Jabber”
4) the puppetry for the Matt Berry droid
5) imagining Boba riding around town on a rancor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013