Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

man the more I play with this new formation system the more I hate it. I can't easily separate bowmen and crossbowmen (you can have it prefer shields, but not all crossbowmen have shields), I can't put my spearmen in a different formation than my shields, etc. No putting low-rank troops in big mobs for training or cannon-fodder, and I can't have my companions in a retainer squad following me around as bodyguards.

I don't want to roll the patch back either because I like pretty much everything else about it (though I think my smithing is broken, I can't select anything other than daggers for some reason). Hope they get it sorted out soon, or a modder does lol
I thought you could still assign troops to formations on the party screen the way you could before. You just can't do it the way you want while on the battle map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think you can. I don't have the option on my party menu anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah I was looking for a way to do that, mostly so I can keep my surgeon away from the front line Infantry formation

So much of this game is trying to figure out whether an option truly doesn't exist Vs the game just being opaque and hiding it from you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel like the ideal system is a middle-ground or combination of the previous and the current. Like let me assign units for squad 4, squad 5, and then assign those squads to positions when I load into the battle map. Maybe they plan on doing that but want everyone to test this new stuff for a little bit, but if that's the case a little communication in that regard would be nice lol.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah I was looking for a way to do that, mostly so I can keep my surgeon away from the front line Infantry formation

So much of this game is trying to figure out whether an option truly doesn't exist Vs the game just being opaque and hiding it from you
You could make a new formation with one or no troops and make the surgeon the captain of it.

That said yeah I liked the other way of assigning troops better I think, even if the new way lets you assign troops in your army that aren't part of your/companions party.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

How so? Seems like if you're the party leader and control the towns is a guaranteed extra few troops.

Also general thought: the perks that let's you donate armor and/weapons to your troops is pretty great to be honest, but you really need both or its just a pain. Is there a way to respec perk choices?

Once into perma war, i was taking towns pretty regularly, but they had to be assigned out to another clan usually. So my max troop count was constantly ping-ponging.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Why why why can you not save after doing the first bit of a bandit hideout but before fighting the boss. So annoying when you can perfect the main bit and then have to do it all again because you hosed up slightly on the leader during the duel/mass melee. Especially if your character is a cavalry dude and so has poo poo athletics!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That's just you being a sucker for fighting the fight. Real kings run away and then stab the bandits in the back while your units face tank the boss.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's just you being a sucker for fighting the fight. Real kings run away and then stab the bandits in the back while your units face tank the boss.

It seems to be massively dependent on which bandits you're facing. Mountain and Forest bandit bosses are a piece of piss with just a one hander and shield, even if your dude sucks with those. The Sea Raider boss with his 2 hander axe and huge armor just totally fucks me up. Eventually just sent my guys in and they cleared up but would have preferred to not have to slog through the first bit multiple times with my molasses slow running speed.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i always take 5 archers/crossbowmen and 4 shield carrying melee dudes, all top tier or as high as possible. usually can kill the whole camp with just the ranged guys, then i decline the duel and the ranged guys ice all the bodyguards immediately and the 4 melee guys kill the boss the instant they make contact. this strat works on every bandit camp and i never lose any guys.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I duel because i've yet to face a bandit than can take the "shield bash, stab in face" combo.

I started up a Sturgeon permadeath sandbox game, which i've never done before. I'm barely into throwing and I can do 700 damage with harpoons by hitting dudes in the head? gently caress bow's, this is where it's at.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of throwing, I like how you can get insane throwing experience by manning a catapult during a siege. I mean, I guess you are technically throwing rocks, but it isn't quite the same.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

dogstile posted:

I duel because i've yet to face a bandit than can take the "shield bash, stab in face" combo.

I started up a Sturgeon permadeath sandbox game, which i've never done before. I'm barely into throwing and I can do 700 damage with harpoons by hitting dudes in the head? gently caress bow's, this is where it's at.

Deffo doing Sturgian after my current Vlandian row. Going to be all coy underneath my chainmail veil, before I cleave people in half horse and all.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Take recruits in to bandit camps to level them up. Forge them in hell.

Also it's not too hard to parry without a shield. But I spent one game grinding arena a lot which pretty much makes it super easy to duel whatever. Unless something changes in 1.7, i'm still playing the latest release patch.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As someone with thousands of hours of M&B combat, I don't want to just drop :gitgud: and walk out, but if you're struggling in a duel with a bandit chief, turn on auto block direction, turn down difficulty, or just do some arena brawls to help get a better feel for blocking and timing swings. Focus on blocking and then striking after successful blocks. Chamber blocking, fancy footwork, high end gear, and big character stats/skills are not needed to 1v1 any of the AI in this game.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Having a super fun time with 1.7; I really like the new battle formation system. Joined the Northern Empire and was given a Two-Handed sword called Justicier which is rad as gently caress and has cleaved many heads. A bit pissed that I keep capturing Cities and the Senator Lucon won't give them to me. Maybe I need to be a higher clan level?

One thing I really wish the game had was some sort of Homestead/Lair for nonaffiliated characters where you could get bonuses akin to a settlement. It would be neat to play as an unaffiliated Trader or Merc into the late game but the lack of holdings makes it hard to save troops for later or stow equipment; or assign one of your lieutenants to train up peons.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 12, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As someone with thousands of hours of M&B combat, I don't want to just drop :gitgud: and walk out, but if you're struggling in a duel with a bandit chief, turn on auto block direction, turn down difficulty, or just do some arena brawls to help get a better feel for blocking and timing swings. Focus on blocking and then striking after successful blocks. Chamber blocking, fancy footwork, high end gear, and big character stats/skills are not needed to 1v1 any of the AI in this game.

Maybe I just need to spend time in the arena yeah - I think my main annoyances were that the sea raider boss seems way, way harder than the other bandit bosses, and the inordinate amount of time you lose if you gently caress up that one fight.

I will say I'm finding Bannerlord combat a lot more unforgiving than Warband in some respects? 2 handed especially all my Warband reflexes seem to be loving me up on horseback and foot - I'm expecting my weapon to be longer than it is I think and so swinging and missing a lot as I just can't quite get the range right.

The shield bash + stab in face tactic won me a tournament though so thanks for that whoever that was.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

One thing I really wish the game had was some sort of Homestead/Lair for nonaffiliated characters where you could get bonuses akin to a settlement. It would be neat to play as an unaffiliated Trader or Merc into the late game but the lack of holdings makes it hard to save troops for later or stow equipment; or assign one of your lieutenants to train up peons.

Would love to see a feature that let you kit out a bandit lair as a base of operations, whether you were using it as a law-abiding merc or a raider yourself. Multiple warband mods had things like this.

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe I just need to spend time in the arena yeah - I think my main annoyances were that the sea raider boss seems way, way harder than the other bandit bosses, and the inordinate amount of time you lose if you gently caress up that one fight.

I will say I'm finding Bannerlord combat a lot more unforgiving than Warband in some respects? 2 handed especially all my Warband reflexes seem to be loving me up on horseback and foot - I'm expecting my weapon to be longer than it is I think and so swinging and missing a lot as I just can't quite get the range right.

The shield bash + stab in face tactic won me a tournament though so thanks for that whoever that was.

That actually makes more sense if you're fighting habits from Warband but definitely makes me think you just need to spend more time whacking dudes in the arena etc. to get your habits adjusted. I agree that weapons feel shorter in general and that the improved and more natural looking swing animations especially from horseback have different timing and feeling than Warband, but I've gotten pretty used to it (I've also avoided going back to Warband because I know I'll have to relearn both games again). I also don't think foot combat is nearly as big of an issue, but there's still some differences, like learning to take advantage of the repeated swing follow-through animations.

EDIT: Also, try bringing a harder hitting piercing or blunt weapon to the sea raider chief fight. They don't get impacted by armor dmg reduction as much. Two-handed cutting weapons (swords/axes/polearms) work fine too - I'm a big fan of axes because overhead swings damage through blocks and you can cleave multiple shitters at a time.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Walk forward and take a swing as soon as the dialog ends and a lot of times you can chain sucker punch the bandit lord before they have a chance to draw their weapon or block (also have your weapon drawn before the cutscene starts, don't ask how I know)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Also, try bringing a harder hitting piercing or blunt weapon to the sea raider chief fight. They don't get impacted by armor dmg reduction as much. Two-handed cutting weapons (swords/axes/polearms) work fine too - I'm a big fan of axes because overhead swings damage through blocks and you can cleave multiple shitters at a time.

Axes can cleave in vanilla? I've seen cleave mods online and have never seen any other weapon do it so I assumed that cleave wasn't a thing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CuddleCryptid posted:

Axes can cleave in vanilla? I've seen cleave mods online and have never seen any other weapon do it so I assumed that cleave wasn't a thing.

I think someone mentioned earlier that they did, and this was one of axe's few advantages due to cut damage being by far the worst against armour.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Two-handed axes do indeed cleave. It's their main advantage compared to polearms' reach and two-handed swords' (general) reach, speed, and stab.

With my current axe I usually kill two people per swing on foot and definitely two while mounted, if they're close. The problem is that its fairly slow and I'm not actually sure that a faster swinging sword wouldn't be better, with better reach. I'll work on it once I unlock more crafting patterns.

In other news, my kingdom is...kind of off the ground. I personally control Varcheg and Epicrotea with several castles surrounding them while my current sole vassal clan has two more. Everyone loves me (my rating with Cadalog is still positive after leaving his kingdom) but so far I'm having trouble finding lords who are unhappy with their liege to recruit. Once they are unhappy it's easy enough though. Just need some more allies.

Also bridge maps are kind of hilarious when you've tried to make a hybrid Battanian-Sturgian alliance army.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I had an axe cleave last night and audibly gasped because I thought that was a mod thing too.

Chad McFuckYourCavalry is goin' strong.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah, I see now. I hadn't thought of checking to see if the axe uniquely had cleave abilities because it doesn't make any goddamned sense.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
You would have thought it would have been put along with the other special abilities like the bonus against shields but ***that's Bannerlord!***

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Come now, the item UI is great. Like, looking at my double handed sword, it tells me that it dislikes shields but is an acceptable prop for an American Gothic painting. At least it's better than my longbow, that is biased against both horses AND shields, what an rear end in a top hat

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love it when I want to compare items and it assumes that all the 2-handed swords in my inventory will be used 2 handed, but the default for any sword I am carrying is that I will be one handing it. Perfect, no notes

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

You would have thought it would have been put along with the other special abilities like the bonus against shields but ***that's Bannerlord!***

Yeah, it really should just be on there.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
welp finally conquered all of calradia

now what

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
weep, for there are no more etc.

comedy option: govern effectively

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

bltzn posted:

welp finally conquered all of calradia

now what

Drink yourself to death while watching your ungrateful kids fritter away your family money and honour

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Drink yourself to death while watching your ungrateful kids fritter away your family money and honour

We call this "pulling a Longshanks"

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Two-handed axes do indeed cleave. It's their main advantage compared to polearms' reach and two-handed swords' (general) reach, speed, and stab.

With my current axe I usually kill two people per swing on foot and definitely two while mounted, if they're close. The problem is that its fairly slow and I'm not actually sure that a faster swinging sword wouldn't be better, with better reach. I'll work on it once I unlock more crafting patterns.

Yeah, the stock 2H axes aren't great, but you can make some nice ones for super cheap. This is a T3 head on a T4 long handle with a successful masterwork roll:

Base stats should be something like this, ~170 difficulty

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Was struggling to get smithing parts by smelting random crap I looted from battles. Started looping crafting then smelting the highest tier 2 handed sword I could, currently getting a new part every time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just picked Bannerlord up again after not touching it since launch. Is the economy kinda goofy and prone to price collapses in sandbox mode, or do I just suck at trading?

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 14, 2022

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the economy works like this: I smith a two handed sword, and the town gives me all their money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cum jabbar posted:

Just picked Bannerlordbb up again after not touching it since launch. Is the economy kinda goofy and prone to price collapses in sandbox mode, or do I just suck at trading?

yeah, the price of the trade goods makes huge swings with supply, and the caravans love to dump huge piles of a thing in towns where it's currently expensive, so it's not uncommon for one of the tooltip price hints to tell you something will sell for a lot a few towns over but the price has crashed by the time you get there. the more expensive goods like jewelry will have bigger swings than cheaper stuff like beer or wood. the best way to do trading is to identify towns that will tend to have a high or low supply of particular goods (based on what the villages produce and what workshops the town has) then run that good through a regular trade route, or to just buy whatever's cheap and sell whatever's expensive when you pass through a town.

iirc the most consistently profitable thing to trade is horses.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah, the price of the trade goods makes huge swings with supply, and the caravans love to dump huge piles of a thing in towns where it's currently expensive, so it's not uncommon for one of the tooltip price hints to tell you something will sell for a lot a few towns over but the price has crashed by the time you get there. the more expensive goods like jewelry will have bigger swings than cheaper stuff like beer or wood. the best way to do trading is to identify towns that will tend to have a high or low supply of particular goods (based on what the villages produce and what workshops the town has) then run that good through a regular trade route, or to just buy whatever's cheap and sell whatever's expensive when you pass through a town.

iirc the most consistently profitable thing to trade is horses.

Autotrader has become one of those mods I don't really want to play without anymore.
https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/135

Unfortunately, it doesn't play well with a bunch of other mods

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I always put lower level troops in front of the higher level troops.

My thinking is they need to be in front to get the kills to level, if they get hit and die then I care less because they're lower, and higher level troops can shoot from farther away accurately.

Anyone else do it this way?

downout fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is anyone else finding that whichever faction they join inevitably becomes a clown show in battles? It's probably just confirmation bias and pessimism talking, but I feel like any king I serve as a mercenary immediately decides to drip-feed small armies into the enemy heart land. Maybe they all do this and it's more noticeable when one is watching and yelling "no!!"

downout posted:

I always put lower level troops in front of the higher level troops.

My thinking is they need to be in front to get the kills to level, if they get hit and die then I care less because they're lower, higher level troops can shoot from farther away accurately.

Anyone else do it this way?

Sounds like the old Hastati- Principe- Triarii system...