Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SpikeMcclane posted:

The Xbox / Oculus talk last page reminded me that it kind of already happened. There was a lot of hype for the Rift working with the Xbox One. And then it just never actually happened despite being a selling point.

It kinda happened. Microsoft released an official streaming app for the Rift on PC so you could play games from the Xbox in your living room in a low resolution VR headset (why???). It appeared to be a part of their agreement to bundle Xbox controllers with the original, Touchless Rift SKU. Even that was mostly Microsoft dumping what they had of their old controller model, the new Bluetooth compatible variant came out around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I noticed that https://vrdb.app/ has interesting historical data, with it, we can know what games has sold* the most in Quest in 2021.
Ratings gained from 2021/01/01 to 2021/12/31

Beat Saber: 10696 ratings
RecRoom: 10364 ratings (free)
Walking Dead S&S : 8856 ratings
Blade & Sorcery: 7241 ratings (released on 11/14)
VRChat: 5895 ratings (free)
Gorn: 5644 ratings
Resident Evil 4: 5634 ratings (released on 10/31)
Onward: 5622 ratings
Population One: 5535 ratings
Superhot VR: 5175 ratings
The Room Vr: 5085 ratings
Supernatural: 4208 ratings
Walkabout Minigolf: 4060 ratings
A Township Tale: 4038 ratings (released on 07/25)
Job Simulator: 3757 ratings
Demeo: 3648 ratings (released on 05/09)
The Thrill of Fight: 3260 ratings
Five Nights at Freddys: 2627 ratings
Pistol Whip: 2384 ratings

*: not really, but we can correlate number of ratings to number of units sold, more or less

It seems finally in 2022 a game will surpass Beat Saber, I'm talking of Blade & Sorcery ETA for the studio to be bought by FB?. RE4VR sold less but it did pretty well, taking in account it costs twice as much.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Blade & Sorcery could use a whole lot of money so they can turn it into an actual game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SCheeseman posted:

Blade & Sorcery could use a whole lot of money so they can turn it into an actual game.

Yeah it's an amazing implementation of a swordfighting mechanic and zero game structure to go with it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

:yeah:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like an actual game wouldn't outsell beat saber. Beat saber is the game you buy a VR helmet to show to everyone you show your vr helmet too. Like someday there will be some intricate complex MMO or something but everyone will still buy beat saber as the flashy easy to grasp music game you can hand to your nephew or girlfriend or whatever. Like everyone that owns any sort of Vr just eventually ends up buying beat saber at some point just for that in a way a real game will always only be bought by people that want to play that game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otBhG8ZldvQ&t=148s
Looking pretty dang good! I haven't played Hitman yet so I'm gonna have a hell of a lot of content to play through.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

After explaining how to use the Quest with SteamVR I realized how bonkers all these settings are

You have two different oculus apps, only one of which you should actually use (that mainly mentions the rift), the VD streamer app, and of course Steam/SteamVR. Then you have contradictory video/bitrate settings at each layer, with no way to know what overrides what. Then if you really want to get technical, you can dig through the Nvidia control panel to see several more vr settings, not to mention the two kinds of SS that may or may not work with any given game.

Setting it up is fairly straightforward but if there is any tweaking required to smooth out the experience it becomes very confusing very quickly

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Looking pretty dang good! I haven't played Hitman yet so I'm gonna have a hell of a lot of content to play through.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah it's an amazing implementation of a swordfighting mechanic and zero game structure to go with it.
I felt that way about GORN, the only difference is GORN is definitely done being developed and B&S still has a chance to grow into something more.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Its just sliders with an actual note instead of stacked notes. We're already hitting em, they're just kinda trying to make a big deal about stealing community ideas again.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

After explaining how to use the Quest with SteamVR I realized how bonkers all these settings are

You have two different oculus apps, only one of which you should actually use (that mainly mentions the rift), the VD streamer app, and of course Steam/SteamVR. Then you have contradictory video/bitrate settings at each layer, with no way to know what overrides what. Then if you really want to get technical, you can dig through the Nvidia control panel to see several more vr settings, not to mention the two kinds of SS that may or may not work with any given game.

Setting it up is fairly straightforward but if there is any tweaking required to smooth out the experience it becomes very confusing very quickly

Apparently the plan is to eventually strip all the old Rift stuff out and have the PC-side be as thin of a client as possible. So you'd have the native Quest dashboard instead of the PC one, home environment, configuration and desktop compositing would be on the headset etc. I guess it'll probably happen after they discontinue the Rift?

Unfortunately SteamVR is still another layer to traverse, but keep in mind that a lot of the games you buy from Steam have native Oculus runtime support. Usually selectable when launching from desktop, sometimes as a command line toggle. Adoption of OpenXR would also help, but that's been slow.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Its just sliders with an actual note instead of stacked notes. We're already hitting em, they're just kinda trying to make a big deal about stealing community ideas again.

I mean, yeah, just looking at the screenshot you can see it's just a visual improvement of what we have already, it isn't a new gameplay mechanic.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SCheeseman posted:

I liked the bit about the throwing interface. Neat and seems ridiculously obvious now that someone's done it!

To throw something, the player winds up & it's "aim with your left (forward, non-dominant) hand, then throw with the right (wound-up, dominant) hand"

They talk about how they prototyped the mechanic up to try out, and it worked effortlessly pretty much right off the bat. It also allows getting fancy with the throwing, like underhand, sidearm, etc. Since the aiming is disconnected from the throwing action, it all works really well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
SUPERHO* (S*EAM version) - KLZLA-*0*L0-QQRMP

Just realized I had this sitting around on my Humble account, enjoy!

VV You're welcome!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 13, 2022

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

King Vidiot posted:

SUPERHO* (S*EAM version) - KLZLA-*0*L0-QQRMP

Just realized I had this sitting around on my Humble account, enjoy!

Thank you! Redeemed!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there some humble specific VR bundle? I keep seeing awesome codes being dumped in here for games on my wishlist. Superhot being the more recent one I just added.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I noticed that https://vrdb.app/ has interesting historical data, with it, we can know what games has sold* the most in Quest in 2021.
Ratings gained from 2021/01/01 to 2021/12/31

Beat Saber: 10696 ratings
RecRoom: 10364 ratings (free)
Walking Dead S&S : 8856 ratings
Blade & Sorcery: 7241 ratings (released on 11/14)
VRChat: 5895 ratings (free)
Gorn: 5644 ratings
Resident Evil 4: 5634 ratings (released on 10/31)
Onward: 5622 ratings
Population One: 5535 ratings
Superhot VR: 5175 ratings
The Room Vr: 5085 ratings
Supernatural: 4208 ratings
Walkabout Minigolf: 4060 ratings
A Township Tale: 4038 ratings (released on 07/25)
Job Simulator: 3757 ratings
Demeo: 3648 ratings (released on 05/09)
The Thrill of Fight: 3260 ratings
Five Nights at Freddys: 2627 ratings
Pistol Whip: 2384 ratings

*: not really, but we can correlate number of ratings to number of units sold, more or less

It seems finally in 2022 a game will surpass Beat Saber, I'm talking of Blade & Sorcery ETA for the studio to be bought by FB?. RE4VR sold less but it did pretty well, taking in account it costs twice as much.

There's also this game that's still only on AppLab, has been out for less than a year, and has over 10,000 reviews

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

m.hache posted:

Is there some humble specific VR bundle? I keep seeing awesome codes being dumped in here for games on my wishlist. Superhot being the more recent one I just added.

As far as I know there aren't any good VR bundles going on right now. That Superhot code was from like, almost a year ago or more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

There's also this game that's still only on AppLab, has been out for less than a year, and has over 10,000 reviews

Oh yeah I forgot looking at AppLab, as games like yours are more the exception than the norm.

You could do a NFT of your apes :P

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't wait to punch Helmut Kruger in his big bald head

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

explosivo posted:

I can't wait to punch Helmut Kruger in his big bald head

I can't wait to kiss Helmut Kruger in the courtyard.

Third Edition
Nov 25, 2008
Speaking of punching, I can't wait for Thrill of the Fight 2. The first one has been my go to VR workout game and I can really get the heart and sweat going on the harder difficulties. If the second one has some sort of career mode, minigames using the training equipment, and a bit better hit detection I will be a happy camper. I also saw they're working on multiplayer. That could be a shitshow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EbolaIvory posted:

And whatever DLC songs they put with these in will inevitably be ill suited to them and inferior as charts to mod tracks that already exist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Third Edition posted:

Speaking of punching, I can't wait for Thrill of the Fight 2. The first one has been my go to VR workout game and I can really get the heart and sweat going on the harder difficulties. If the second one has some sort of career mode, minigames using the training equipment, and a bit better hit detection I will be a happy camper. I also saw they're working on multiplayer. That could be a shitshow.

I only just recently got to the final (?) fight on Normal, and I'm to the point where I can pretty much drop all the opponents with a TKO in the first or second round, but that last guy is a bitch. He's not quite Tyson in Punch-Out levels of bullshit, but he can lay you out with a single combo if you don't block or dodge at all. I got two downs on him in the second round, but I was so winded that it felt like I would literally die if I didn't force quit out of the game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lucas is back with more haptic glove stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzn37Usa-U

It's worth watching the whole thing - the homegrown solution will probably always look like an exploded Power Glove, but it's pretty impressive what he's managed to throw together for basically gently caress all money.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
god I love thrill of the fight... but that game needed modability because I want to punch Trump

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh yeah I forgot looking at AppLab, as games like yours are more the exception than the norm.

You could do a NFT of your apes :P

How dare you

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
VTOL VR finally added official multiplayer and it freakin' rules. It's a bit bare bones right now but it's a Hell of an experience taking off from a carrier with the rest of your team and flying in formation towards the objective then immediately getting shot down by radar lock missiles .

I really hope they allow custom maps to be played in official multiplayer. You can already do that via Mods but ehhhhh...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Third Edition posted:

FYI: Creed already has minigames and multiplayer. I can't vouch for the comparative hit detection, but it seems like my stuff is landing.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Manager Hoyden posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is all this stuff to get a Quest 2 to work with a PC? I'm strongly considering getting one, but I mostly want to be able to use it with my pc / steam library and I'm not really interested in the stand alone oculus versions of things. Like, can I spend an hour or 2 tweaking it and then be good? Or am I going to have to screw with it for every PC game individually. 4 different layers of apps sounds kind of like a poo poo show.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

mllaneza posted:

FYI: Creed already has minigames and multiplayer.

Tape your controllers to selfie sticks so you have a 108" reach.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Substandard posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is all this stuff to get a Quest 2 to work with a PC? I'm strongly considering getting one, but I mostly want to be able to use it with my pc / steam library and I'm not really interested in the stand alone oculus versions of things. Like, can I spend an hour or 2 tweaking it and then be good? Or am I going to have to screw with it for every PC game individually. 4 different layers of apps sounds kind of like a poo poo show.

It's not that hard, the layers of apps just works and now that Airlink is built into the Oculus software on your PC it's even easier to do wireless streaming to it. Yes you can mess with bitrates and may need to futz with your network to get it working perfectly but you don't need a PhD or anything to get it going.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Substandard posted:

No issue at all, the apps being described are just the various runtimes used by PC VR games. So you need the Oculus desktop app installed for Link/AirLink to work, and have the Steam VR app installed through Steam to launch Steam VR games, then between the 2 of them just about anything will run without issue. I've never messed with any of the advanced tweaking settings mentioned in that post, if you just want to put on the headset and play videogames you can just leave everything at default and have no issues.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

explosivo posted:

It's not that hard, the layers of apps just works and now that Airlink is built into the Oculus software on your PC it's even easier to do wireless streaming to it. Yes you can mess with bitrates and may need to futz with your network to get it working perfectly but you don't need a PhD or anything to get it going.

njsykora posted:

No issue at all, the apps being described are just the various runtimes used by PC VR games. So you need the Oculus desktop app installed for Link/AirLink to work, and have the Steam VR app installed through Steam to launch Steam VR games, then between the 2 of them just about anything will run without issue. I've never messed with any of the advanced tweaking settings mentioned in that post, if you just want to put on the headset and play videogames you can just leave everything at default and have no issues.

Good enough for me! I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and I guess see how bad the head strap is and how quick I need a replacement.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Factory Town would be so cool in VR if you played it like you were placing miniatures in a diorama, can someone please get on this ASAP? Thanks in advance

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Substandard posted:

It kinda just works (most of the time) but you can endlessly gently caress with things to make it look better or run smoother etc

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, playing Lies Beneath on casual and still getting my rear end stomped. Fun game though. Only downside that there's a max ammo for the handgun, and that's kinda stupid cause your character is wearing like 3 layers of clothes at least. Bullets ain't that big, stuff em in your socks if you gotta. Beats getting killed by some kinda demon bird or zombie thingie.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman shed light on Apple’s approach to the so-called “metaverse”, making it clear the company’s upcoming headset is expected to focus on “bursts” of gaming, content consumption and communication above all else.

That got a chuckle from me, because well, that's how I already use my Quest 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I can't wait to have a burst of content consumption in the Metaverse

Nonstop bursting