Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PokeJoe posted:

I like the idea of lots of 3 day weekends but having Wednesday rules too because it's easy to tolerate going to work at most 2 days in a row

wednesday wfh is my schedule and it rules for this exact reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah in college (not university) i had wednesdays off some terms
it was loving great

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fortaleza posted:

I’ve got my poo poo together. I recommend it, much less stressful way to live.

to clarify, i have my poo poo together in a lot of the ways people mean when they say they have their poo poo together (married, good job, significant savings, investments, generally organized life) but my headmeats are a loving mess. at least i haven't slid into alcoholism or hard drugs i guess.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

god i cannot loving wait until i can promote some of these new guys from bangalore to tech lead so i can go back to sleeping in. it's only been three months of waking up at 6:30 am but i am *not* a morning person and this is really wearing thin

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

thursday morning mother fuckers

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qr0brzHZmO1seokep.mp4

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

me when i sign out of work today

usually it would be my last day but i have 4 hours to pick up tomorrow, like a Fool

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

to clarify, i have my poo poo together in a lot of the ways people mean when they say they have their poo poo together (married, good job, significant savings, investments, generally organized life) but my headmeats are a loving mess. at least i haven't slid into alcoholism or hard drugs i guess.

same. I'm going to die alone and my life is generally unfulfilling but at least I'm not drinking a litre of screech a week these days!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

same. I'm going to die alone and my life is generally unfulfilling but at least I'm not drinking a litre of screech a week these days!

it's a litre of orangina isn't it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

dioxazine posted:

it's a litre of orangina isn't it

more like a quarter of weed :canada:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

alexandriao posted:

me when i sign out of work today

usually it would be my last day but i have 4 hours to pick up tomorrow, like a Fool

hey now

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

which NAS were you guys on about a few months ago?

I want to make sure my poo poo is backed up somewhere other than iCloud now that I take a ton of pix and videos of my kids and losing them would make me sad

bonus points if I can also use it for a PLEX server

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

synology ds series
pick a size that works for you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

which NAS were you guys on about a few months ago?

I want to make sure my poo poo is backed up somewhere other than iCloud now that I take a ton of pix and videos of my kids and losing them would make me sad

if youre a tremendous tool with an extra computer laying around, you can put unraid on it. it's good. otherwise go synology

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

synology it is! thanks friends

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if you want to run plex on the nas itself you get the ds4xx+

if you just want file storage you get the ds4xx

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph posted:

if you want to run plex on the nas itself you get the ds4xx+

if you just want file storage you get the ds4xx

I was eyeballing the ds920x, but I’m not sure if that’s overkill

do I have to buy platters separate for it? (I’m assuming yes)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was eyeballing the ds920x, but I’m not sure if that’s overkill

overkill

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

do I have to buy platters separate for it? (I’m assuming yes)

yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I bought the 920 and it is ftw.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

The Fool posted:

synology ds series
pick a size that works for you

syntendo DS

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you want to do time machine backups to it, try to get one of the models that has cache drive m2 slots and put a couple of $29 256's in it. you dont need fancy ones, cheap is fine. makes ur iops go way up and TM backups run like 4x faster

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

if you want to do time machine backups to it, try to get one of the models that has cache drive m2 slots and put a couple of $29 256's in it. you dont need fancy ones, cheap is fine. makes ur iops go way up and TM backups run like 4x faster

you can time machine to a synology? i should set that up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yup, works great

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

For the record this is also what I meant

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I may have too many irons in the fire right now but I think I can pull it all off.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can time machine to a synology?

absolutely

just make sure you carve out a share for it, tm will eat all your space over time

dumb synos like the 4xx you have to hard partition, but smart synos like the 4xx+ use btrfs and you can soft partition on the fly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like waking up in the morning. I wake up at 4 so I can go to the gym and hog the equipment before anyone else does.

billionaire grindset

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like waking up in the morning.

hosed up

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I don't like waking up because I can't do that thing where people go right back to sleep and it really sucks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

yup, works great

graph posted:

absolutely

just make sure you carve out a share for it, tm will eat all your space over time

dumb synos like the 4xx you have to hard partition, but smart synos like the 4xx+ use btrfs and you can soft partition on the fly

cool, ds720+ looks like something that would work for me - i don’t have huge space requirement, but running some local vms on top of it is nice, and i can expand if i really need more space than what fits into 2 disk bays in 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I took a sleepytime gummy before bed last night and tucked myself in all droopy-eyed. Then I woke up, thinking "wow that was a long sleep" but it was only 3 :argh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cool, ds720+ looks like something that would work for me - i don’t have huge space requirement, but running some local vms on top of it is nice, and i can expand if i really need more space than what fits into 2 disk bays in 2022

its real good and you can run a lot of bullshit dockers on there. i run pihole, my torrent client, etc etc on it. It'll run plex but isn't beefy enough to do realtime transcoding, but that's really no big deal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

its real good and you can run a lot of bullshit dockers on there. i run pihole, my torrent client, etc etc on it. It'll run plex but isn't beefy enough to do realtime transcoding, but that's really no big deal.

nice nice, going to file this into my network upgrade bin and go for it when i settle for something to replace my ubiquity setup for (which at the moment looks to be aruba instant on)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for just time machine and a couple vms? for sure

for just tm and file sharing, the low end ds2xx

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

billionaire grindset

they call me 007

0 friends
0 hours outside of the house
7 billion dollars in crypto currency

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CPColin posted:

Then I woke up, thinking "wow that was a long sleep" but it was only 3 :argh:

the WORST

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

graph posted:

for just time machine and a couple vms? for sure

for just tm and file sharing, the low end ds2xx

yeah, tm primarily, some other poo poo to backup/store, and a small number of lightweight services

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i really want to set up time machine to my unraid machine now, but i've already spent so much time making it so my laptop is a dumb client* that it seems kinda silly.

* almost everything i care about is synced to dropbox, code is all github VC

if/when i get a laptop with a drive big enough to hold my entire dropbox thing i might do it though. but its kind of a waste of space idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

making it so my laptop is a dumb client*

i too know how to turn a macbook screen off

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i too know how to turn a macbook screen off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU