Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Riptor posted:

If this is inconvenient for you, apparently you should have never had children according to some folks in this thread

It does suck that we've prioritized opening things like bars and restaurants rather than doing everything we can to make childcare and education as safe as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

brugroffil posted:

It does suck that we've prioritized opening things like bars and restaurants rather than doing everything we can to make childcare and education as safe as possible.

Absolutely agreed

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Denmark - 13 January 2022

Case up another few percent, while ICU and vent down, so that's nice.

My latest crackpot theory is "its hitting kids more now".

From: each day's file "12_noegletal_pr_region_pr_aldersgruppe_de_seneste_7_dage.csv" aka "Key numbers per region per age group the latest 7 days"

Last 7 days cases ( on each of 13 Jan - 12 Jan - 11 Jan - 10 Jan - 07 Jan) split into three age groups so I don't have massive tables:
0-19 years 35.6% - 34.2% - 31.8% - 30.1% - 27%
20-39 years 34.7% - 36.1% - 38.2% - 39.1% - 40%
40+ years 29.7% - 29.6% - 30.0% - 30.7% - 33%

So children and teens moved into the #1 spot for cases over the last 7 days, while they're 28.6% of all cases over the whole pandemic.
It's worth breaking down the kids into more age groups. 0-2 year old babies now have the second-highest hospitalization rate, only behind 80+ year olds. All other kid brackets are much further behind, including the 3-5 year olds, who are also still unvaccinated.

I haven't seen any further breakdowns in the 0-2 year old bracket (is it tons of newborns, or is it spread out?). As someone with a 14 month old, I'd be very interested.

A nice chart can be found here: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/status-paa-coronavirus-lige-nu

It's about halfway down the page with the title "Alderen på nyindlagte de seneste 7 dage". I'd just embed it here, but I'm an old man that can't figure these things out when phoneposting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/CityCynthia/status/1481336295783809029?t=YuKuTgw2htgt_u8DK6Lhmg&s=19

I'm sure they'll find plenty of retired teachers willing to throuw themselves into the breach!

MI Educator checking in: absolutely no one wants to loving do this.

Also the COVID numbers are so high tracking all the cases that come in is an all day affair. At Least one of the high schools in the district is fully remote due to the sheer amount of cases and absences. The district just announced yesterday a return to required masks and social distancing, but they are absolutely just trying to stop the bleeding at this point. We can't even replace the staff that was already missing due to the shortage, let alone do the jobs of the 10+ staff out sick.

This battle's over, and we never had to fight such a stupid one to begin with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Riptor posted:

If this is inconvenient for you, apparently you should have never had children according to some folks in this thread

Yeah, I've definitely picked up on this in here and just ignore it. Also stopped reading this thread every day because of all the doom-posting.

I think the most annoying thing is the lack of testing available. PCRs in my county have a week wait to get an appointment, plus 3-4 days to get results. Completely outside the timeline of being useful.
I just happened to have a handful of Binax home antigen tests that I dropped off at my daycare for the lady and her staff since they couldn't get any.

On a funny note, our house is a war zone with my wife and I trying to be on calls that we couldn't cancel or move. I was holding my daughter trying to find food for her for breakfast. My wife was talking on her meeting and my son ran over and punched me in the balls because I wasn't letting him have candy for breakfast. It's only 9:45am and the day has been so ridiculous it's crossed over into funny territory now. I'm about to start drinking already.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 13, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's worth breaking down the kids into more age groups. 0-2 year old babies now have the second-highest hospitalization rate, only behind 80+ year olds. All other kid brackets are much further behind, including the 3-5 year olds, who are also still unvaccinated.

I haven't seen any further breakdowns in the 0-2 year old bracket (is it tons of newborns, or is it spread out?). As someone with a 14 month old, I'd be very interested.

A nice chart can be found here: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/status-paa-coronavirus-lige-nu

It's about halfway down the page with the title "Alderen på nyindlagte de seneste 7 dage". I'd just embed it here, but I'm an old man that can't figure these things out when phoneposting.

I thought about breaking down the kids more walking home from REMA tonight. I'll see about it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Fritz the Horse posted:

Please elaborate on why in-person schooling is "free daycare for folks who probably shouldn't have been parents in the first place."

You are welcome to criticize in-person school in the middle of the pandemic, certainly. The second part above is something I would appreciate you supporting or providing your reasoning for.

I mean cmon, this is bullshit

parents are required to school their kids and basically our entire society is based around school being a huge part of it. It's not just "free daycare!" when you're required to do it and the simple fact that anyone who wants to have a career needs to have their kids being watched or learning or something somewhere or it's just not possible.

and yeah those people working low wage jobs are hit worse by this stuff but apparently "they shouldn't have been parents in the first place" because if they can't work because their kid isn't in school then they're not gonna be able to buy food or pay rent

To be clear I'm not condoning the present school situation which is just poo poo but you're putting on the kid gloves with some BS "please provide support for your assertion that some people shouldn't have been parents!"

brugroffil posted:

Some of the bigger pushers of "kids are perfectly fine/open schools at any cost" have 'joked' on social media or in interviews about how much they hate their kids being home with them all day. Emily Oster is the prime example of this.

So? gently caress those people but just handwaving away the real problems with "but emily oster!" is some loving bullshit too

brugroffil posted:

Very much so. There can be a hell of a lot of things wrong with how the situation has been handled without making GBS threads on parents who are struggling to figure out how to navigate everything and keep their heads above water at all.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I thought about breaking down the kids more walking home from REMA tonight. I'll see about it.
In terms of age groupings, you should probably just do 0-2, 3-19, 20-79, and 80+. That's only one more grouping than you posted, but is broken down into cohorts with similar hospitalization rates.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It's turns out trying to blame individuals for structural failings is deeply stupid

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

It's turns out trying to blame individuals for structural failings is deeply stupid

Levitate posted:

parents are required to school their kids and basically our entire society is based around school being a huge part of it. It's not just "free daycare!" when you're required to do it and the simple fact that anyone who wants to have a career needs to have their kids being watched or learning or something somewhere or it's just not possible.

When you put it that way, it does sort of sound like daycare.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
No one has a problem with "schools are daycare" (I'd put a partially there, saying there's zero education at schools is dumb), it's when this is somehow judged to be parents fault.

I don't know what the proposed solution is supposed to be that makes the parents worthy of having children. Is the point that we need to force people to be housewives and / or househusbands again? Because I don't see any other option, and for the most part one persons salary can't support a family unless you're fairly well off anyway.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

nomad2020 posted:

When you put it that way, it does sort of sound like daycare.

I mean they also are taught skills and knowledge that is used to build the foundation of skills and competency as adults, as well as social interactions that are important to being a functional part of society (in so much as we have a functional society anymore).

If we're dismissing school as "just daycare" and claiming you shouldn't' have kids if you can't be a stay at home parent then we're basically edging into that fundie home schooling area of thought

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Could anti-vaxxer superstar, all-around dumbass and total dreamboat Kyrie Irving take the floor at Brooklyn's Barclays Center soon? As a cis mainly hetero guy, I could imagine worse things. :love:

But, no.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/1/12/22880364/could-nets-play-kyrie-irving-in-defiance-of-new-york-city-regulations-in-a-word-no

Nets Daily posted:

It’s been a fan narrative for a few weeks: The New York City regulations that have kept Kyrie Irving off the court in Brooklyn carry only minor fines. The magic loophole! On Wednesday, Stefan Bondy, in a column for the Daily News, took it step further and suggested that this could be a way out for the Nets ... if they really wanted to.

Let me present the penalties for noncompliance with The Key to NYC, as outlined in Bill de Blasio’s executive order:

quote:

First offense: Warning.

Second offense: $1,000 fine.

Third offense: $2,000 fine.

Fourth offense: $5,000 fine.

Fifth offense to infinity offenses: $5,000 fine.
That of course is less than a drop in the bucket for Joe Tsai who despite Alibaba’s stock drop, is still worth billions and billions of dollars. Bondy admits that it’s all theoretical and indeed it is less than that. The Nets would be giving the city and its new mayor, Eric Adams, a slap in the face during a health crisis that has defined Adams first days in office. It would be a public relations disaster for the Nets ... and the NBA, both of whom have their headquarters in the city ... and are dependent in a myriad of ways on the city’s good will (and in previous administrations, its largesse.)

Moreover, unmentioned in either the fan narrative or Bondy’s column, is that long ago the NBA recognized the supremacy of local laws, specifically New York’s.

As much as I love watching the Nets with their full lineup, good on NYC, the NBA and the Nets for holding strong on this.

But... how much good are you doing, when Kyrie and his team played in Chicago last night in front of 21,000 fans? Hey, at least they were all required to have a vaccine that's like 35% effective against Omicron!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

enki42 posted:

No one has a problem with "schools are daycare" (I'd put a partially there, saying there's zero education at schools is dumb), it's when this is somehow judged to be parents fault.

I don't know what the proposed solution is supposed to be that makes the parents worthy of having children. Is the point that we need to force people to be housewives and / or househusbands again? Because I don't see any other option, and for the most part one persons salary can't support a family unless you're fairly well off anyway.

I think in the short term with the pandemic there are so many legit criticisms of how the schools have been handled we can spend plenty of time picking at that rather than immediately making GBS threads on the parents who are often being forced into tough choices and feel trapped with the situation.

like...maybe more effort could have been put into making schools and classrooms safer (ventilation, filtration, smaller classrooms and spacing), providing adequate PPE and testing, staggering classes and providing a mix of in person and at home while providing resources and assistance to those people who need it when their kid is staying home. poo poo I'm just spitballing but some sort of system where the lowest income people who can least afford to take off work to take care of their kids have their kids in school the most, the better off have their kids home for distance learning more days of the week, sorted out to provide lower classroom numbers and better protections, and then maybe not hand wring so much about the inevitable few who will game the system.
Maybe during the omicron surge schools should have been shut down for the month and government assistance given to those who need it.

Just maybe

but our government moves too slow and is too divided and too concerned with "looking bad" about this poo poo so instead we get nothing but covid

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

But no one's asking you to confine your children to the bunker on a permanent basis.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

enki42 posted:

I've known seemingly decent parents... involved with the kids, with part of the community, they lend a hand, or donate, whatever.

I've known totally disconnected parents who use the scout unit as daycare services, I can imagine a similar outlook for school.

There's a deleterious feedback loop between the culture and the individual and the drive to absolve the individual obscures that.

I mean, structural racism exists but it also matters if you raise your kids watching fox news or reading Emma Goldman.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bel Shazar posted:

I've known seemingly decent parents... involved with the kids, with part of the community, they lend a hand, or donate, whatever.

I've known totally disconnected parents who use the scout unit as daycare services, I can imagine a similar outlook for school.

There's a deleterious feedback loop between the culture and the individual and the drive to absolve the individual obscures that.

I mean, structural racism exists but it also matters if you raise your kids watching fox news or reading Emma Goldman.

what are you trying to say here?

e: legitimate question

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Levitate posted:

what are you trying to say here?

e: legitimate question

I feel like there are legit reasons to throw shade at some parents but not parents in general (and some non parents too). I think the rush to kill that line of discussion blocks a valid criticism that *some* people very rightly deserve.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bel Shazar posted:

I feel like there are legit reasons to throw shade at some parents but not parents in general (and some non parents too). I think the rush to kill that line of discussion blocks a valid criticism that *some* people very rightly deserve.

I think if you (the general you) want to engage in that line of discussion then you need to be very specific about what you're talking about and really engage on it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Riptor posted:

My man that barely scratches the surface of edgelord opinions on parenting. "Having children at all is child abuse" goes deeper down the iceberg.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
To Make it more explicit, parents in America do utilize school as daycare because they are greatly compelled to do so by the realities of employment. To lay the blame for this at some moral failing of individuals, and not at the forces of capital who have shaped society to be such, is at best swallowing propaganda wholesale

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Parents vs. non-parents is always going to be tough, because society is built on the default assumption that everybody will become a parent and so it caters to their needs* - in this case, parents need the schools open for their lives to remotely function, which means that the childless have to deal with a huge disease vector that exists for reasons that have nothing to do with them. At the same time, parents (good ones anyway) have a form of extreme, mind-clouding emotional vulnerability that non-parents usually do not, so it's easy to understand their frustrations as well.

It'll be interesting to see how these dynamics shift around if/when it becomes more common for people live their entire lives without having children.

* Obviously society only caters to parents' needs within a narrow spectrum of capitalistic economic conditions, which often resembles "not catering to their needs at all", but most people are not analyzing things on that level and believe they live in something approximating a just world.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Levitate posted:

and yeah those people working low wage jobs are hit worse by this stuff but apparently "they shouldn't have been parents in the first place" because if they can't work because their kid isn't in school then they're not gonna be able to buy food or pay rent

To be clear I'm not condoning the present school situation which is just poo poo but you're putting on the kid gloves with some BS "please provide support for your assertion that some people shouldn't have been parents!"

So? gently caress those people but just handwaving away the real problems with "but emily oster!" is some loving bullshit too

Very much so. There can be a hell of a lot of things wrong with how the situation has been handled without making GBS threads on parents who are struggling to figure out how to navigate everything and keep their heads above water at all.

I think part of it is that some of the loudest voices have been claiming concern for children and education quality, but once you strip it down enough it's really that they only care about the childcare part of it.

e: if they were at least up front about the whole "we need someone to watch out children while we work" aspect about it, it'd be more worthwhile. When they're lying about their base motivations and then turning around and attacking teachers/teachers' unions, they can go gently caress themselves. IMO.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 13, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mellow Seas posted:

because society is built on the default assumption that everybody will become a parent and so it caters to their needs*
I don't think society assumes everyone will parent children, but does assume that children exist (and are parented by someone) as the existence of children is necessary for the perpetuation of society.

Mellow Seas posted:

At the same time, parents (good ones anyway) have a form of extreme, mind-clouding emotional vulnerability that non-parents usually do not, so it's easy to understand their frustrations as well.
Sorry, what's that?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

brugroffil posted:

e: if they were at least up front about the whole "we need someone to watch out children while we work" aspect about it, it'd be more worthwhile. When they're lying about their base motivations and then turning around and attacking teachers/teachers' unions, they can go gently caress themselves. IMO.

Please stop falling for the narratives of liberalism by assuming their is an odious villain to blame. The material factors have shaped people's behaviors, and only by opposing those material factors can it be overcome

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sorry, what's that?

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, maybe I'm repeating a cultural trope. My sister died, and it really sucks, and I really miss her, but I don't think it's had a tenth of the impact on me as it has on my parents. I don't have children, so I don't know, but it seems like for most people it's really really hard to care about anything as much as they care about their children. That's what they tell me, anyway. Protecting your offspring is a powerful biological imperative.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

brugroffil posted:

I think part of it is that some of the loudest voices have been claiming concern for children and education quality, but once you strip it down enough it's really that they only care about the childcare part of it.

Yeah, realistically it's all of those things tied together. There are legitimate concerns about education and social aspects of things along with how difficult it is to simply not have a place for kids to be during the work day, but if they're going to claim these things then they should have fuckin' done more to make it safe for teachers and kids and everything else!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't have children, so I don't know, but it seems like for most people it's really really hard to care about anything as much as they care about their children.
Well, yes, parents (hopefully) care deeply about their children because for much of children's lives there isn't anyone else to advocate for them.

It's the vulnerable mind clouding stuff I'm not understanding.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, yes, parents (hopefully) care deeply about their children because for much of children's lives there isn't anyone else to advocate for them.

Oh! Well, that's just my childless-person bias explaining hysterical "think of the children!" type responses to situations. :v: I think people can be driven by their love for their children to support some pretty illogical things. (Big example: Satanic Panic)

But that's getting into something that the thread isn't about and I didn't really need to bring it up, so no need to get into it. Didn't mean to offend.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

brugroffil posted:

I have no idea who "the loudest voices" are and I agree that anyone who's attacking teachers can go right to hell. But the 'care' in 'childcare' is the important part, and I think absent the people you're talking about being actively negligent, abusive or harmful to their children, or similar, it strikes me you're taking an extremely uncharitable read of motivations like this.

If you have to work, either from home but especially if not from home, and your child cannot go to school or a daycare, or be watched by anyone else, then it's likely you cannot adequately care for your child. Your child might be at risk of being injured, or of dying. Simply saying "they only care about the childcare part of it" isn't reason to dismiss the cares of that person.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do you have kids? I do not, yet anyway, but I have heard from many, many, many people that having a child re-orients your entire world in a way that is impossible for a person without a child to understand or appreciate fully.

I think that is what Mellow Seas is speaking on.

e: like in more than a "oh I have new responsibilities" way. More like having a religious epiphany and becoming a fundamentalist when you were previously an atheist type of thing.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
They won't let you get a rescue dog with both "parents" working full time outside the home half the time anymore, makes you think.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
The Supreme Court has blocked the Biden Administration's vaccine mandate for businesses (they left a separate mandate in place for certain healthcare workers):

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics/supreme-court-vaccine-mandate-covid-19/index.html

Decided on party lines (6-3, liberal justices in the minority). Still leaves open the possibility of state and local mandates, however, if allowed in those areas.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 13, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Levitate posted:

That's the moderation guideline right now - you can make any argument you like, but you need to be prepared to support it. I called out that part because I agree with you, the poster should defend it. After a few hours, they did not reply, so I issued them a day long probation.

I did a similar thing with the user who claimed that China was lying about their COVID case numbers and possibly deaths, I asked them to support that. And they did, there was some back and forth discussion of it.

We're only about a week into this new setup. For now I'll stick to the approach I've been taking and see how it plays out, though I'm not rejecting our ignoring your feedback. Maybe I'm giving too much slack to bad arguments? We'll do a feedback thread again in the not-too-distant future and I'm sure the "moderate based on quality of argument, not substance" rule will be discussed.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's the moderation guideline right now - you can make any argument you like, but you need to be prepared to support it. I called out that part because I agree with you, the poster should defend it. After a few hours, they did not reply, so I issued them a day long probation.

I did a similar thing with the user who claimed that China was lying about their COVID case numbers and possibly deaths, I asked them to support that. And they did, there was some back and forth discussion of it.

We're only about a week into this new setup. For now I'll stick to the approach I've been taking and see how it plays out, though I'm not rejecting our ignoring your feedback. Maybe I'm giving too much slack to bad arguments? We'll do a feedback thread again in the not-too-distant future and I'm sure the "moderate based on quality of argument, not substance" rule will be discussed.

I'm not opposed to the guideline, but I am wondering about the implementation. Would that poster know that they had been requested to better develop their argument? Not everyone is F5ing the COVID thread every few minutes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I'm not opposed to the guideline, but I am wondering about the implementation. Would that poster know that they had been requested to better develop their argument? Not everyone is F5ing the COVID thread every few minutes.

Swinging by to post a hot take and then bailing is one of those things that has been probatable since forever. You're responsible for the posts you make, neglect them at your own peril

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

That's a fair point. In this case I waited about 3 hours to see if the poster responded. Right now I'm of the opinion that if you drop a claim like that and disappear, that's basically "poo poo and run" posting, which is nothing new on SA.

It is subjective how much time is given. In this case it was a pretty inflammatory take and I recall at least one other poster calling it out after I did.

I suppose I could PM users, though not all have plat.

I'd like to avoid much more posting about moderation here for now. I appreciate the feedback and will think about how to improve. As always, it's much better for other posters to call out bad arguments than for me to have to step in which I recognize carries an implicit threat of moderation action. If someone drops what you think is a lovely take, call them and ask them to support it. If they don't, report or PM a mod.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Swinging by to post a hot take and then bailing is one of those things that has been probatable since forever. You're responsible for the posts you make, neglect them at your own peril

Right, but then it's a simple probation. I'm not sure there's a need for the intervening "please support your argument for why those people shouldn't have been parents in the first place," but if there is then I see a problem with the implementation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

Make jobs pay people enough to raise a family on one income if they want, also make the government pay everyone enough to raise a family even if they don't work

Bing bang boom, you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

How are u posted:

Do you have kids?
I do.

How are u posted:

but I have heard from many, many, many people that having a child re-orients your entire world in a way that is impossible for a person without a child to understand or appreciate fully.
That's true to an extent, but I think the "appreciate fully" part undersells ones ability to empathize with others not-quite like them.

I'd say the main decision-making difference when you're a parent is that the decisions you make affect not just yourself, but also your children. That makes the consequences for making wrong decisions much greater as we're generally not willing to accept the consequences of making poor decisions for our children in the way we might for ourselves. That doesn't mean that rational thinkers suddenly become entirely emotionally driven or something like that. I mean, that probably happens to some parents, but by large you're either rationally driven or emotionally driven and having children may expose that bias--whichever way it lies--to a greater extent.

One point I'll make though: most parents just barely have things together, which is a statement of the incredible difficulty of raising children and not a statement of parents' lack of preparedness or something. So a pandemic that throws a wrench into your employment as a person is already really bad, but when it also throws one into your childcare situation it is full-on panic mode.

Anyways, I'm not really sure I get "the point" of the discussion around parents depending on school to watch over their school-age children during school hours. Is this some major revelation? In any event, pretend this "free childcare" was actual daycare paid for by parents, and the inability to staff or keep daycares open causing a major wreck for working parents. Is there any fundamental difference there, aside from some value judgement around parents using school as "free childcare"?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 13, 2022