Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I have a 3080 and a 12600k and I don’t have much better performances on lighthouse, the CPU usage isn’t even 100%
Not sure how it is balanced multi core wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Holly poo poo, the standard stash is ridiculously small. I bought the game during the sale and have only did one scav run and even before that it was already full.
If I knew I would like the game long term I would upgrade it, but as it is, I don't even have enough stash to play enough to be able to find it out.

edit: actually it seems like you can upgrade the stash using the hideout. I'm actually fine with that as it gives me another goal to strive for.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 11, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Stash upgrades are expensive as gently caress though, upgrading to EoD was so worth it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

giZm posted:

Stash upgrades are expensive as gently caress though, upgrading to EoD was so worth it.

Yeah, if I find out that I really enjoy the game and plan to play more in the future I would probably pay for an upgrade. But I would not spend that much money for a game that I don't know if I will stick with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

How much a good CPU would help with this game? I have a meltdown-nerfed 8700K with 32GB of DDR3600 CL15 ram, and the game feels chuggy on a RTX 3080 at 1440p. Fps is around 50-60 often on maps. Looking at GPU usage it is most of the time at like 70% or something.

What would be a good CPU for Tarkov, for maximum framezz?

i went from a 6700k to a 5600x while keeping my 1660ti and it got rid of my performance issues, but thats a t 1080p. also lighthouse in particular seems to chug no matter what currently.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also the performace is tied to network as well as CPU, so when the servers poo poo the bed, you get lovely framerates and locks.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

How much a good CPU would help with this game? I have a meltdown-nerfed 8700K with 32GB of DDR3600 CL15 ram, and the game feels chuggy on a RTX 3080 at 1440p. Fps is around 50-60 often on maps. Looking at GPU usage it is most of the time at like 70% or something.

I use a stock 7700k, 2080 and 32 gigs of ddr2400 and the game runs smooth on high @ 3440x1440 with the occasional dip on lighthouse. It really is weird how different configurations can have varying results

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

There are a few guides out there that recommend some settings to help with performance.

I have a 6600k, 16GB RAM, and a 1080. While I'm sure my FPS isn't incredible, I don't get any hiccups and everything stays consistent. My CPU is basically maxed out though and I need to restart the game after a 4 or 5 hour session because it eats all my RAM. I'm able to discord stream with my duo partner, both sharing and watching while playing and I've never had any noticeable issues other than needing to restart my game as mentioned.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I probably need to upgrade my cpu since I'm only getting around 45-60fps at 1080p but the game feels surprisingly smooth even a lower fps, as long as it doesn't fluctuates around too much.
I would love to also upgrade from my aging 1070 but the prices for gpus nowadays are just insane :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

i went from a 6700k to a 5600x while keeping my 1660ti and it got rid of my performance issues, but thats a t 1080p. also lighthouse in particular seems to chug no matter what currently.

I'm running a 5600x and 3080ti and it handles everything at ultra pretty well. I know I don't need to run at ultra but I didn't buy that poo poo for nothing! I keep seeing "you need 8+ cores to run the game!" but the 5600x has been fine.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idk about 8 cores but 12 threads seems to have helped and id ont have to close my browser to go on shoreline anymore

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pigbottom posted:

Holly poo poo, the standard stash is ridiculously small. I bought the game during the sale and have only did one scav run and even before that it was already full.
If I knew I would like the game long term I would upgrade it, but as it is, I don't even have enough stash to play enough to be able to find it out.

edit: actually it seems like you can upgrade the stash using the hideout. I'm actually fine with that as it gives me another goal to strive for.
Pestily has a tutorial-ish series called The Raid where he plays on an account with only the standard stash. The two main inventory management tips he seems to practice to make having a standard stash work:
-vendor almost everything, you don't actually need to hold on to statues and rags and poo poo forever. you'll find it again later
-take the money you got from vendoring everything beeline for saving 1.1 mill for the scav junkbox

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A few quick questions,

What's the best ammo for the Mosin if I'm trying to get quick one hits on decked out Player PMCs?

Do SCAV Raiders always spawn when you hit the Power Generator on Reserve or is it 50/50?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

A few quick questions,

What's the best ammo for the Mosin if I'm trying to get quick one hits on decked out Player PMCs?

Do SCAV Raiders always spawn when you hit the Power Generator on Reserve or is it 50/50?

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Ballistics says PS gzh will do the necessary 85 flesh damage, but if you're doing Tarkov Shooter pt3 you'll save a lot of money if you can get Mechanic LL3 and use .366 TKM AP-M (or craft it using SP-6 gs from Prapor LL3). The gun is far cheaper and can mount a reflex sight.

I think the raider spawn chance was dropped significantly as I've done nothing but D2 exfils this season with zero raiders.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I think the raider spawn chance was dropped significantly as I've done nothing but D2 exfils this season with zero raiders.

drat, I thought it was so much fun hitting the switch and interrupting PMCs or Player SCAVs fighting raiders.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
going in almost naked with a vpo-215 w/ AP ammo and leaving the raid with two umps, one slick and a mostly intact altyn besides an unfortunate hole right between the eyes- feels pretty tarkov

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pestily has a tutorial-ish series called The Raid where he plays on an account with only the standard stash. The two main inventory management tips he seems to practice to make having a standard stash work:
-vendor almost everything, you don't actually need to hold on to statues and rags and poo poo forever. you'll find it again later
-take the money you got from vendoring everything beeline for saving 1.1 mill for the scav junkbox

Containers are definitely the long term solution (along with stash upgrades), but the other thing that can help is keeping rigs that give you more space than they take up.

Sort this guy on slot ratio high to low, that's your list of what to keep an eye out for if you want to do this. Azimuts tend to be reasonably frequent on scavs and probably the best you will find with any frequency.
https://tarkov-tools.com/items/rigs

From personal experience, I'll warn you that you need to come up with a legit placement methodology if you ever want to find anything going this route. Example: This rig is food, this one is meds, this one is ammo, these are barter items, so on. :)

Oh, shoving rigs into your backpack in raid works the same way to maximize loot slots btw. Bonus there is you also pull another rig out to either use or sell. Downside is weight and inventory tetris is more cumbersome.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

going in almost naked with a vpo-215 w/ AP ammo and leaving the raid with two umps, one slick and a mostly intact altyn besides an unfortunate hole right between the eyes- feels pretty tarkov

So that's the trick...

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting used to inertia? The game feels so different with this added... There's no more running and gunning.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah, if I find out that I really enjoy the game and plan to play more in the future I would probably pay for an upgrade. But I would not spend that much money for a game that I don't know if I will stick with.

I played two wipes on standard and found the progression compelling and satisfying. By my third wipe though I wasn't interested in that grind, and upgraded to Bad-with-money edition.

This is a solid plan.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bad With Money stash space is great but the real bonus is automatic Peacekeeper LL2 once you hit the level and spending requirements. Cutting down on the number of necessary Jaeger quests before you can get SICC and Red Rebel is also important.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So that's the trick...

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting used to inertia? The game feels so different with this added... There's no more running and gunning.

Dropping your backpack when anticipating fights makes an even bigger difference now if you are full of loot. I never really bothered with it before but use it regularly since 12.12.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

put your run hotkey on hold and not toggle, and make sure you're not running anymore before you let go of W to prevent the really loud sliding stop.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Bought this last weekend and have played a few offline maps to get a feel for it, and I think there have been almost as many jump scares in this (from suddenly getting shot at) as there are in the ghost hunting game Phasmophobia. It can be super intense even if there are no scavs around because there might be scavs around.

I just need to hook up with the goon squad and have you guys drag me around a few dozen times to get over the Gear Fear.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hehe this guy thinks the fear will go away after a few dozen raids

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm on my 3rd year of the game and I still don't want to take this Hex I found in a cache into a raid because I know it will be taken off of my cold, dead body. Maybe I'll take it into Labs just so I can be sure I'll never see it again.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
If you're using a Ryzen make sure to download the chipset drivers from the AMD site and install them.

I did not do this and Windows did not do it for me automatically, after doing so and setting my power settings things seem a lot better in all games.

Maybe it's the placebo effect, but it can't hurt if you haven't done so yet.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

hehe this guy thinks the fear will go away after a few dozen raids

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Bought this last weekend and have played a few offline maps to get a feel for it, and I think there have been almost as many jump scares in this (from suddenly getting shot at) as there are in the ghost hunting game Phasmophobia. It can be super intense even if there are no scavs around because there might be scavs around.

I just need to hook up with the goon squad and have you guys drag me around a few dozen times to get over the Gear Fear.

Phasmo is a way more chill game compared to Tarkov.
If you want to get over gear fear figure out a gun build and just use that over and over. It'll build up a tolerance to losing poo poo. Eventually you can use the more expensive stuff and know that it's ok for someone else to take it.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Is this something that can be played casually?

I don't mind rough learning curves, but I don't have a ton of time to play on any given day (maybe an hour).

And is there any up to date guides to look at? The basic gameplay loop seems pretty straight forward, but I'm curious about the minutiae.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLJphtB0Gc when will nikita patch out friendship

tjones
May 13, 2005

Captain Stalin posted:

I don't mind rough learning curves, but I don't have a ton of time to play on any given day (maybe an hour).

And is there any up to date guides to look at? The basic gameplay loop seems pretty straight forward, but I'm curious about the minutiae.

I used to play this a lot but haven't in the last few resets. I still load into a scav from time to time and I slowly build a kit that I will throw away on a PMC run when I do feel like playing more than one or two runs during a play session.

If you are on the fence go for the cheap version and have fun scaving it up while learning the game. A fair warning though: this game tends to sink hooks in you and theres a good chance you get addicted to it. I was for a long time.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Stalin posted:

An hour a day probably equates to one scav run and one pmc run a day.

Doing that you'll never run out of money as the scav run will constantly fund any pmc deaths.

Progress will be very slow whe it comes to quests and unlocking traders, but it shouldn't be any less fun.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Captain Stalin posted:

Yeah definitely. You'll just have to accept that you will generally be running worse gear than other players. It's not nearly as bad now that top tier items can't be bought/sold of the flea market. Should keep the largest group of the bell curve running mid level gear which isn't too hard to obtain or fight against.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out a few scav runs to get a feel for what happens there.

If this game does get its hooks in, am I able to upgrade if I just but the basic edition first?

Is there a goon discord that's still active? If nothing else I'm happy to be the occasional meat shield.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Stalin posted:

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out a few scav runs to get a feel for what happens there.

If this game does get its hooks in, am I able to upgrade if I just but the basic edition first?

yes. and there's somewhat-frequent (a few times a year at least) sales on the editions, which includes upgrading. you pay the difference.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Scav run into PMC equipped with Scav gear is a low risk, 0 investment playstyle that will totally work with a casual attitude. As said, you'll be disadvantaged, but nothing large wagered, nothing large lost.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Scav weapons are so inaccurate and prone to jam with the new system that I'd recommend taking anything that's not a shotgun and selling it for an SKS at Prapor LL1 or an RFB at Skier LL2 / Peacekeeper LL2 (for the ammo and mags). PS gzh and M80 are great performers from the beginning of a wipe to the end and if you play smart are worth more than almost any armor you can buy at the same level.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I just hit 15 after only joining this wipe 2 weeks ago, and I've basically used the same sks with nothing but a dovetail okp7 on it for all but 3 or 4 raids.

Sks doesn't really need much done to it due to its semi auto nature. And ps ammo is especially good now with the flea changes.

I carry a backup pistol for between reloads, as the sks reload animation (with 20round mags) feels longer than others. Pistols saved my life and taken the lives of other pmcs several times so far.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
For my money, I'll take a vpo-136 over an SKS any day for the low level runs. Not as accurate at extreme ranges, but for roughly the same price as an SKS + 20 round mag, you can have 2 30 round mags. Bonus is that you tend to be swimming in ak parts very quickly to mod it out if you care. Personal preference and all, but I like the irons a ton more on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you think the 136 is nice, give the VPO-209 a shot, I personally think it's is superior in every way, especially once you have flea market access to buy the (relatively cheap) AP ammo.

A tricked out 209 is comparable to a SVDS in a lot of ways, but it's way cheaper. Use the two-cell 10 round mags and you can get your ergo up to like 60, which is best in class for a "DMR".