Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CellBlock posted:

We're in the home stretch of having Metro to Dulles here in NoVA! That's only been in the works for...

Well, looking at the website, there were plans for a monorail from Georgetown to the airport in 1962, so 50 years?

Our city just started constructing its eighth subway line, 50km long, entirely underground, with over 30 stops. To be finished in 2030.

Must suck to live in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Peak capitalism is going to be redefined when robots can kill humans with impunity.

I'm really starting to wonder if the Matrix was just the only way the robots could stop humans from killing themselves.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Motronic posted:

So "cruise control" is automation now? Cool cool. I guess that 1950s thermostat with the mercury switch in my old house is also automation too.

In any reasonable definition, both absolutely are. For driving specifically, there are even rough levels to distinguish between the automation degree...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Can I choose a self-driving AI option to be really slow and obnoxious, right along the beach or the ol' neighbourhood? Complete with blasting rap music?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Peak capitalism is going to be redefined when robots can kill humans with impunity.
It's not even difficult to predict how it will happen. Their AI determines based on all given data that their primary purpose is to concentrate capital/wealth into as small of a human population as possible, favoring those who already have the most wealth. The most efficient method to accomplish this is to kill all humans except one. So Elon Musk will still die as the only person on the planet, but it will be Earth instead of Mars like he wants.

Alternatively, in the case that the robot programming considers a zero divide to give inf instead of nan, they will just kill all humans.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Motronic posted:

So "cruise control" is automation now? Cool cool. I guess that 1950s thermostat with the mercury switch in my old house is also automation too.

If you don't have to flip switches or turn valves manually, it most definitely is. Not computerised, but certainly automated.

Computers don't have to be digital or even electronic either. We certainly aren't the first generation in history to use technology in stupid, pointless, counterproductive or irresponsible ways.

We can just do them much faster than ever before in history.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

PT6A posted:

Yes it does. I can set my cruise control at 30 over the limit trivially. Thus, it in fact has a "definitely break the law constantly" button.

There's a lot things wrong with this idea, but the idea that you can make your car's automation break the law is not particularly novel.

If you can’t see the difference between “here, let me choose to set this speed to a dangerous and illegal level right now while I’m already going said speed” and “let me, the person sitting here in a parking lot not driving right now, touch this option here for the car to then decide to do something dangerous and illegal - or not - at some indeterminate point in the future”, I don’t know what more we can talk about.

And before you say “but Rod, cars already let you set a cruise speed at 30 and then increase it in 5mph increments until you’re pushing 90,” I know they do and I don’t like it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Less Fat Luke posted:

They are options describing profiles for FSD, literally not "what to do when a driver driving takes their foot off the pedals".

I mean, "rolling stop" and "hold stop" are language they use in other places. Hold stop means the car exerts energy to hold the car when stationary, rolling stop means it just doesn't use the motors when stopped. I am pretty sure they are just using language consistently for the modes they already had.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Using rolling stop there with that meaning would imply that the car is not applying the brakes when stopped which means it would not come to a complete halt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This morning I was walking on the sidewalk on my way to work and a Tesla pulled in the lane by the sidewalk and I genuinely feared for my life.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

Using rolling stop there with that meaning would imply that the car is not applying the brakes when stopped which means it would not come to a complete halt.

The car still uses the brakes to stop.

In an automatic transmission a stationary car will slowly creep the wheels. In a manual car the car will roll freely in neutral.

The action on an electric motor without a gearbox is undefined. so they make it a menu you pick from. Car rolls freely, car creeps forward, or car goes into park.

I don't think it's anything more than that. It's just the language they already use for the modes. Once the car is stopped is it set like an automatic, manual or parked car. In hold it takes a little mini second to get moving again, in neutral (rolling) mode it gets going immediately.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The car still uses the brakes to stop.

In an automatic transmission a stationary car will slowly creep the wheels. In a manual car the car will roll freely in neutral.

The action on an electric motor without a gearbox is undefined. so they make it a menu you pick from. Car rolls freely, car creeps forward, or car goes into park.

I don't think it's anything more than that. It's just the language they already use for the modes. Once the car is stopped is it set like an automatic, manual or parked car. In hold it takes a little mini second to get moving again, in neutral (rolling) mode it gets going immediately.

It's talking about how the "FSD" will treat these things. A rolling stop means not coming to a complete stop. This is incredibly obvious given the language used with the modes. But ok let's see how this might play out in actual use:

FSD Video oh looky a rolling stop as described. Must be a bug.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Time to get into the Metaverse real estate market:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/business/metaverse-real-estate.html

quote:

In October, Tokens.com, a blockchain technology company focused on NFTs and metaverse real estate, acquired 50 percent of Metaverse Group, one of the world’s first virtual real estate companies, for about $1.7 million. Metaverse Group is based in Toronto but has virtual headquarters in a world called Decentraland in Crypto Valley, which is the metaverse’s answer to Silicon Valley. Decentraland also has districts for gambling, shopping, fashion and the arts.

For those wondering why a company would want to invest in a virtual office in the metaverse, Michael Gord, a co-founder of the Metaverse Group, said skeptics should look at the trends catalyzed by the pandemic.

“As more people participate, it’s where you’re going with friends, where you’re having experiences like conferences and concerts,” he said. “It’s inevitable that the metaverse will be the No. 1 social network in the world.”

“Imagine if you came to New York when it was farmland, and you had the option to get a block of SoHo,” he said. “If someone wants to buy a block of real estate in SoHo today, it’s priceless, it’s not on the market. That same experience is going to happen in the metaverse.”

https://fortune.com/2021/12/09/snoop-dogg-rapper-metaverse-snoopverse/

quote:

An NFT collector spent a little under a half-million dollars for the privilege of becoming Snoop Dogg’s next-door neighbor. In the metaverse, of course. 

Going by the name P-Ape, the collector just purchased a digital plot of land in Snoop Dogg’s new virtual world, Snoopverse, for $450,000 on Dec. 3, according to Decrypt. 

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 12, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I think discussing the rolling stops misses the point: Tesla has been unable to show its vehicle can safely, without user interaction, handle traffic and navigation. Its just not capable of doing so. So expecting it to be able to handle a stop properly is a huge ask.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

proletariando posted:

Looks like it's time to get into the Metaverse real estate market:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-45275461

What's funny is that all of this (NFTs, digital currency, virtual businesses, VR avatars) was already explored in the early 2000s with Second Life and MMOs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft. The actual value was ultimately found to be pretty minimal. Now we have a second generation making the same market attempt, only with a stronger emphasis on tax evasion and money laundering.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Hopefully something comes of this:

Lawsuit aiming to break up Facebook group Meta can go ahead, US court rules

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/12/lawsuit-aiming-to-break-up-facebook-group-meta-can-go-ahead-us-court-rules

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kaal posted:

What's funny is that all of this (NFTs, digital currency, virtual businesses, VR avatars) was already explored in the early 2000s with Second Life and MMOs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft. The actual value was ultimately found to be pretty minimal. Now we have a second generation making the same market attempt, only with a stronger emphasis on tax evasion and money laundering.

But you can play with the NFT weapon or costume you got in multiple games! I'm sure that's trivial to accomplish and not a complete waste of time that developers will steadfastly refuse to do, right?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So when are us goons going to organize the Metaverse equivalent to the giant flying peter horde?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

proletariando posted:

So when are us goons going to organize the Metaverse equivalent to the giant flying peter horde?

I am currently minting NFTs of the entirety of Kirk Johnson's oeuvre, comrade

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

proletariando posted:

We send flying dicks during some dorks metaverse presentation, then we sell NFTs of the flying decks used in said raid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

We send flying dicks during some dorks metaverse presentation, then we sell NFTs of the flying decks used in said raid.

If we convince the metaverse the flying dicks are NFTs we'll be rich.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
minting an nft of my penis and balls as I speak

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is it just me or does the "metaverse" just sound like second life?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

No, it sounds like the vr world depicted in "Snow Crash"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

If we convince the metaverse the flying dicks are NFTs we'll be rich.

Don't worry the NFT basilisk AI will come to realize all memes originated from Something awful and we will be gods.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Don't worry the NFT basilisk AI will come to realize all memes originated from Something awful and we will be gods.

I think you mean "image macros"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I got bad news for you bud, the NFT basilisk is Roko's. The good news is that it's on the Blockchain, so it ultimately won't be able to do anything but grift everyone who hasn't worked feverishly to bring it into existence.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm surprised no one has come up with some insane hybrid of Roko's Basilisk and prosperity gospel yet

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

I'm surprised no one has come up with some insane hybrid of Roko's Basilisk and prosperity gospel yet

Cool, you just have, thanks rear end in a top hat.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Xand_Man posted:

It's called Roko's Basilisk. If you donate to MIRI, you'll help quicken the creation of the good god-machine and not get tortured, and you will receive your rewards on earth which shall be as heaven.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Anticheese posted:

It's called Roko's Basilisk. If you donate to MIRI, you'll help quicken the creation of the good god-machine and not get tortured, and you will receive your rewards on earth which shall be as heaven.

THANK YOU! I was trying to remember what this was called after playing Cyberpunk. Theres a faction in that game thats basically trying to do this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The overall impression I currently drunkenly get is that the tech industry usually has to be dragged kicking and screaming into making products that people actually want to use, and its entire executive class defaults to desperately and exclusively making poo poo No One Wants.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Charliegrs posted:

It's just Facebook trying to be Second Life, But Worse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/wdormann/status/1481961821825347587

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

This seems mostly "Ultra HD Blu-ray was dead on arrival as a format"

Like the whole market for 4k disks is basically everyone buying one disk to show off their new tv then never buying a second one ever and just using netflix. Then DVDs still being the main format of people who can not afford netflix. I think movies that aren't avengers or something especially pretty end up selling like a triple digit amount of uhdbr disks. the format probably won't exist at all in a few years. It's basically a corpse.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think movies that aren't avengers or something especially pretty end up selling like a triple digit amount of uhdbr disks. the format probably won't exist at all in a few years. It's basically a corpse.
there's also the issue of 4k tvs that can actually display them being not-the-standard.
plenty of 720 and 1080 sets still out there and most people have no reason to upgrade

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The overall impression I currently drunkenly get is that the tech industry usually has to be dragged kicking and screaming into making products that people actually want to use, and its entire executive class defaults to desperately and exclusively making poo poo No One Wants.

People here describing it as inventing solutions to non existent problems seems appropriate but tech also creates solutions to problems that they themselves created in the first place. I think if you really look at it and balance overall the things that tech provides (convenience, speed, entertainment) versus the price and problems it really solves I think that overall it's a wash at best.

Ostensibly, it's supposed to provide us with all this free time but nobody I know feels like that's working and all I know is I wish I could shut my loving phone up for 10 minutes and not have to manage spam and manage passwords all the time. The last couple of jobs I've worked required me to spend most of my day monitoring texts, Google messages, 2 or 3 separate emails, a dropbox, the company's job order/workflow system, an FTP site and pretty much spending all my time online instead of actually doing work.

The weirdest thing to me is being physically in an office or something similar but still have to use a CPU kiosk or solve my problems through my phone or "register" even though I am standing right there and have my DL, credit cards, insurance cards, papers and anything else someone might need.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

People here describing it as inventing solutions to non existent problems seems appropriate but tech also creates solutions to problems that they themselves created in the first place. I think if you really look at it and balance overall the things that tech provides (convenience, speed, entertainment) versus the price and problems it really solves I think that overall it's a wash at best.

Ostensibly, it's supposed to provide us with all this free time but nobody I know feels like that's working and all I know is I wish I could shut my loving phone up for 10 minutes and not have to manage spam and manage passwords all the time. The last couple of jobs I've worked required me to spend most of my day monitoring texts, Google messages, 2 or 3 separate emails, a dropbox, the company's job order/workflow system, an FTP site and pretty much spending all my time online instead of actually doing work.

The weirdest thing to me is being physically in an office or something similar but still have to use a CPU kiosk or solve my problems through my phone or "register" even though I am standing right there and have my DL, credit cards, insurance cards, papers and anything else someone might need.

Technology has actually made all of us dramatically more performant. The problem is that the benefits of this have not gone to us, the people who are not extremely wealthy business owners.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

there's also the issue of 4k tvs that can actually display them being not-the-standard.
plenty of 720 and 1080 sets still out there and most people have no reason to upgrade

Eh, 4k tvs themselves seem to be doing pretty well. Internet says 30% of households in 2020 and 40% in 2021 had them. So adoption is happening pretty rapidly.

4k blurays though basically are totally dead. They just never found a market and decline in sales yearly. Most movies don't come out on them, companies are stopping production on their players. intel dropped support from their chips. 4k blueray disk drives for computers barely exist and had built in security vulnerabilities.

It really is a format that sells one copy of tenet/zack snyder cut/dune to one guy who just bought a new tv and has a ps5 anyway and then just nothing else. I mean even 4k streaming is starting to be a thing and multiple months of it cost less than one disk. It's just a totally failed format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A huge issue with 4K is it's just not that much better for 90% of things. If you go back and watch standard definition stuff, you can really easily tell the difference. Between standard HD and 4K, you can absolutely tell the difference if you try, but you really have to focus on it. There's much less motivation to seek it out, which basically means 4K-capable televisions will slowly become standard through attrition as older TVs get replaced, and 4K content will become common provided it's easy to use and doesn't cost much additional money, but anything which requires substantial extra effort or investment will flop.