Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda think it's more of a social thing -- good friends bust each other's chops. An argument could be made that a stranger trying to bust your chops is not that much different from bullying.

And unless you've made your reputation around that (e.g. Rickles*, Carr) trying to bust somebody's chops just comes across as cruel.

*Allegedly, one of Rickles' first tv shows was produced by Mark Goodson / Bill Todman and meant to be a game show. The story goes that Rickles' opening monologue had him bagging on everything from the set, the audience, the band, the contestants. Dude was seriously in a groove and everybody was loving it. Problem is they literally ran out of time before they even met the contestants.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol I mean Trebek was pretty savage a couple of times

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

lol I mean Trebek was pretty savage a couple of times

Lots of times. Hell, he turned it up to 11 on the final episode of high rollers.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Trebek also was genuinely happy for contestants who did well. It went both ways! He wasn't doing insult comic stuff up there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Trebek also was genuinely happy for contestants who did well. It went both ways! He wasn't doing insult comic stuff up there.

I'd take Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog over MB.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd take the things he'd poop on over byalik.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zakharov posted:

yea I think that was the key point, he busted balls plenty but he also always seemed genuinely happy to see someone have a turnaround even if they lose, or liked seeing the winning streaks people had and all. You can't just laugh at a dude whiffing a daily double without also seeming to want them to do well as well or it just looks like you're being a dick.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Alex and Ken also seemed like they earned the right to take a jab at a contestant here and there in a way Mayim hasn't (especially if she hasn't even watched the show before, let alone competed or hosted for decades). Despite being pretty brutal at times, it never felt mean-spirited, and it never had you going, "Why don't you go stand at a podium and compete then if you think you're so smart."

You suspected Alex and know Ken could do it, and it feels like Mayim would be lucky to avoid setting a new all time record for lowest finishing score.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The only reason I knew "everything's coming up roses" was something of ethyl merman's signature song was her cameo gag in Airplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZdqsCW8vM

Edit: but I'm guessing this turned out to be about Annie Get Your Gun?
Yes, Ethel Merman originated Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun. Decades later, SJP at one point played Annie in Annie.

Even as someone who knew it cold, I think it's a terrible question and only like 1% of Jeopardy contestants would get it.

SJP didn't open in Annie (that was Andrea McArdle). It was running for years before she eventually became a replacement. She wasn't famous at the time, probably got very little publicity in the role, and it wasn't a springboard for bigger things for her. She's barely mentioned on the Wikipedia page for the musical, and only because she later went on to be famous. But it is upfront in SJP's wiki page, so I wonder if that misled the writers.

The only ways to get it would be:
- be an insane Broadway fan
- know a fair amount about Broadway and be a truly insane SJP superfan
- know a fair amount about Broadway, guess one of Merman's roles with a common name, be very lucky

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol of course she isn't a lifelong fan or anything. They straight up just wanted her because she was on Big Bang Theory.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've been watching a lot of Classic Concentration and Alex is hilarious on it. He's constantly pointing out people's mistakes and laughing at them. Just generally having a good time on that show - it's great.

sexpig by night posted:

Speaking if Bialik being a dogshit host, have an interview of her that is just kinda generically boring but includes a great line like her not even watching Jeopardy until recently which tbh genuinely does explain why she's such a black hole up there and doesn't seem to get the difference between Alex ribbing people and poo poo like literally laughing at contestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csn7HYbKwhc
Unless I missed something, she said she "didn't grow up watching Jeopardy [with her parents]". Which, yeah, she's 47 years old. By the time she had started acting, Jeopardy had only been on for three years. I can't really fault the woman because her parents didn't watch the show. I don't see how that implies that she started watching recently, though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 12, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, Ethel Merman originated Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun. Decades later, SJP at one point played Annie in Annie.

Even as someone who knew it cold, I think it's a terrible question and only like 1% of Jeopardy contestants would get it.

SJP didn't open in Annie (that was Andrea McArdle). It was running for years before she eventually became a replacement. She wasn't famous at the time, probably got very little publicity in the role, and it wasn't a springboard for bigger things for her. She's barely mentioned on the Wikipedia page for the musical, and only because she later went on to be famous. But it is upfront in SJP's wiki page, so I wonder if that misled the writers.

The only ways to get it would be:
- be an insane Broadway fan
- know a fair amount about Broadway and be a truly insane SJP superfan
- know a fair amount about Broadway, guess one of Merman's roles with a common name, be very lucky

eh I admit to being the insane Broadway fan part of that but I thought SJP being a pretty big Broadway person including one of her first roles being Annie was moderately common dumb celeb trivia!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd take Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog over MB.

his name is Robert Smigel please don't use his character's name

I'm just joking let's get the dog

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah if the puppet is the host you can use its name

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I completely blanked and shouted out the only two common musical character names I could think of before the music stopped -- Maria from Sound of Music and Maria from West Side Story. The latter of which would be, uh, one hell of a role for SJP :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The push for Burton to host was I think mostly based on him being the beloved host of Reading Rainbow.

Yeah, the calls for Burton were an incredibly astroturfed thing that, originally, he wasn't even interested in. And then after he guest-hosted the show for a week, he admitted that he wasn't very good and there were better choices for the role.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Unless I missed something, she said she "didn't grow up watching Jeopardy [with her parents]". Which, yeah, she's 47 years old. By the time she had started acting, Jeopardy had only been on for three years. I can't really fault the woman because her parents didn't watch the show. I don't see how that implies that she started watching recently, though.
When she first was announced as a guest host she tweeted something along the lines of “I’ll take dreams come true for $500, please, Alex.”

The interview might not prove anything but listing a clue value that hadn’t been on the board in 20 years at that point sure does. She was not a J! watcher and it shows.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Timby posted:

Yeah, the calls for Burton were an incredibly astroturfed thing that, originally, he wasn't even interested in. And then after he guest-hosted the show for a week, he admitted that he wasn't very good and there were better choices for the role.

Soooo you have no idea what "Astroturfing" means, huh?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Timby posted:

He admitted that he just didn't want the gig, not that he wasn't good at it.

And if "better" choices to the execs at the time were Mayim Bialik and Mike Richards, then you can see why he wouldn't want it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

The more I learn about Burton the better I like him. He's just a stand up guy.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
amy didn't say the name of her cat :argh:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's Meep

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When you come for the queen, you best not miss because of trilobites.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not all bad, tho -- Burton probably got more money for the Trivial Pursuit thing he signed up to do after the dickhead's half-assed skullduggery came to the surface.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Iron Crowned posted:

When you come for the queen, you best not miss because of trilobites.

I can say this for maybe 1/100 episodes, but I genuinely think I could have won this episode.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That Newfoundland / Newfoundland and Labrador clue was dumb, and I say that as a Canadian.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jeopardy is fully embracing stats now.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1481476097208295426?t=s2ccFcNstBfMumeKXIlzAg&s=19

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huh, bringing some of that Men in Blazers energy to Jeopardy? I can dig that.

https://twitter.com/embassydavies/status/1481477793737183234?s=20

My immediate reaction "and quite a few are non-binary!"

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 13, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

My immediate reaction "and quite a few are non-binary!"

I wanted to express respect for this.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

:eyepop: the buzz attempt stats are awesome!

I suppose dominant players like Amy's percentage might be inflated because she has more uncontested buzzes, but it's still interesting data.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Looking forward to building my ultimate Jeopardy! fantasy team using Trebemetrics.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's super cool and I wish they had it back when I was on. Finally, a good decision from management!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, that feels very long over due and a good idea.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

:guillotine:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Interesting idea

So what did the guest host era do in the end? Obviously Dr. Bialik got the job but for most of them not much.

Aaron looked like he could've had a career outside of football stuff but then he revealed he was antivax. Dumbass.

Levar got himself a gig with Trivial Pursuit so the campaign his agent cooked up paid off.

Dr. Oz's ego thought he could be a senator and essentially gave up his TV show for it. He'll probably get a new show if/once his campaign goes up in flames.

Buzzy should be the host but didn't draw so nope. Ken won't get it either but he has The Chase , Master Minds and behind the scenes role among other things so the LDS will still get a large tithe out of him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching a repeat of the professors’ tournament and Mayim Bialik just loving scoffed at a dude for confusing English dukes with heirs to the throne. I don’t like her at all. At least he made it into the tenure pipeline, Mayim! I’m sure you must wonder what that’s like.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"Hyperloop," sorry dude, I'm now rooting against you.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Well I figured that Hawaii was the obvious choice for Final. I guess it wasn't that easy. Amy was 1/5 on Finals this week and lost a lot of big wagers. Lucky every day was a runaway for her.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if it was one of those where it was so easy that it threw everyone off. I would have only gotten it right because I couldn't think of any other state that worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I got it by pure virtue of 'well 1949 and a volcano, gotta be Hawaii' but I think at least one of them did the same and thought 'wait no that's too obvious where else are volcanos'