Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What if we could dismount during sieges and have the first half of the unit turn into melee infantry and the other half becomes horse monster units.

I can't tell if I just thought of this today or read it in this thread 10 times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just have a spell that turns each rider and horse model into a single always screaming melded chaos spawn permanently. Its good because you have to make a choice, you see

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Acute Grill posted:

Dragoon type units would be incredibly useful. Especially since Warhammer would let you have flying ones. Imagine like Hawk riders dropping off a bunch of wardancers in the enemy backline or some poo poo.

Never ever going to happen but it would be neat.

Napolean TW had these dragoons. I think the game even classified them as mounted infantry for most cases, not light cav. I don't know if this could be modded in without CA adding this mechanic, but they have done it before.

No idea if Warhammer has a unit like this, but it does feel a bit more "realistic" and less fantasy vibe of elven 360 no scope arrowin' you from a giant birb.

Edit: Looks like someone has made a (seems to be buggy) mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1980258124

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

just give me loving grail divers already

launch em from a trebuchet like the lady intended

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When you guys talk about dragoons I envision final fantasy dragoons and it makes me very sad knowing there isn’t a final fantasy RTS/Total War

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They're one of the few 'good enough' jack of all trades type units that seem to be worth a drat.
I particularly love them for chasing things and shooting at them while they do it. It just tickles me the right way.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

jokes posted:

It just hits different when your peasants are fighting orc peasants and skeletons

what these lizardmen can't ride dinosaurs yet? ALL THE FACTIONS ARE SHEEP

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
As long as it's easy to recruit mounted archers, most of whom can fire on the move in any direction without penalty AND most ranged unit positioning is largely meaningless as far as their efficacy goes ranged dragoon units will be pretty niche at best while mounted infantry are pretty much relegated to the rare time you need a fast moving melee unit and don't want cavalry for some reason

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Dragoon style units were completely useless in FOTS. The lack of things like a proper skirmish mode and general high accuracy of rifle armed units made them nearly completely redundant. The tier 2 factional line infantry would do the exact same thing with lower costs and higher unit counts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, TBF weren't horse cavalry units finally starting to die out due to the prevalence of rifles over muskets around that time?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No they weren't. They became mounted infantry and did a lot of work that way. Hell the japanese were one of the biggest proponents of giving their cavalry air cooled MGs for sustained firepower a generation after FOTS.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, so it was a change of doctrine instead of staying as combat riders. That's pretty cool.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Horse cavalry were used through WW2, because horses eat a lot but are still pretty mobile even over rough terrain and don't need any gasoline. They just rode up to the battlefield and dismounted to fight like normal infantry.

In a pinch, they can skip a meal. A truck can't skip a tank of gas.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jokes posted:

When you guys talk about dragoons I envision final fantasy dragoons and it makes me very sad knowing there isn’t a final fantasy RTS/Total War

it is still the funniest thing that final fantasy dragoons are based off a Japanese guy seeing the words 'dragoon' and 'dragon' and thinking 'oh that's so cool the westerners have a special kind of Dragon Soldier, I should make that a thing in my video game, no I am not going to look up anything about what a dragoon is I'm sure it's awesome and dragon based though"

meanwhile irl it was the only job considered worse than being line infantry, because at least if you're line infantry you know you've got the rest of the army backing you up. the twofold reason for the expression "getting dragooned into something" is that nobody wanted to be a dragoon, and most of what dragoons got used for was bullying civilians into doing poo poo for the army. christ knows a bunch of infantrymen on horses with no backup aren't good for much else.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Horse cavalry were used through WW2, because horses eat a lot but are still pretty mobile even over rough terrain and don't need any gasoline. They just rode up to the battlefield and dismounted to fight like normal infantry.

In a pinch, they can skip a meal. A truck can't skip a tank of gas.

and in a pinch they become a meal

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tirranek posted:

Total War: Heroes of Might and Magic 3

This, but make the end game crisis an invasion by Spazz Maticus

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Total War: Lord of the Rings would work well.

I’m not at all biased by loving Battle for Middle Earth II when I was younger. :D

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Total War: Lord of the Rings would work well.

I’m not at all biased by loving Battle for Middle Earth II when I was younger. :D

Alas, the best game for Lord of the rings is Mount and Blade. There was a mod for Warband that was literally a better representation of the war and all of the factions than any other game I've ever heard about or seen.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mans posted:

This, but make the end game crisis an invasion by Spazz Maticus

You mean Mysterio the Magnificient.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

Alas, the best game for Lord of the rings is Mount and Blade. There was a mod for Warband that was literally a better representation of the war and all of the factions than any other game I've ever heard about or seen.

Taking a look at that then!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Taking a look at that then!

Enjoy! https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days

Really hope they make a good stab at a bannerlord mod.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

You mean Mysterio the Magnificient.

You mean MONGO?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mongo vs SLAMBO DLC please

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Napolean TW had these dragoons. I think the game even classified them as mounted infantry for most cases, not light cav. I don't know if this could be modded in without CA adding this mechanic, but they have done it before.

No idea if Warhammer has a unit like this, but it does feel a bit more "realistic" and less fantasy vibe of elven 360 no scope arrowin' you from a giant birb.

Edit: Looks like someone has made a (seems to be buggy) mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1980258124

Yeah, I think the majority of historical TW have had mounted infantry and/or cavalry with passable stats to use as mobile infantry in a pinch, I just meant we're not gonna officially see Hawk Dragoons or Pegasus Paratroopers in Warham 3

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm sure this has been asked here a million times before but how do I stop cav from getting stuck on enemies? I'm trying to play Bretonnia right now and this is absolutely killing me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, I think the majority of historical TW have had mounted infantry and/or cavalry with passable stats to use as mobile infantry in a pinch, I just meant we're not gonna officially see Hawk Dragoons or Pegasus Paratroopers in Warham 3
Only moderately related but I'm including it here anyway, but in WH3 the units that fly will be able to go to land without having to be in melee. However, they won't actually count as land units for the purposes of the morale malus for having a flying-only army unless they are in melee (as now) so you can't just send to flyers to alternate corners of the map and land them while the rest of your army endlessly kites while flying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lucinice posted:

I'm sure this has been asked here a million times before but how do I stop cav from getting stuck on enemies? I'm trying to play Bretonnia right now and this is absolutely killing me.

If you have to, right click nonstop until they all extract themselves.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Vagabong posted:

Honestly a lot of warhammer campaigns can be like this, especially if you screw up and get your starter units killed.

This is why I was hoping they'd bring in a modified version of the 3k retinue system - if lord's came with 2-3 special recruitment slots, it could do a lot to spice up the early game and even promote hiring off-meta lords if they came with the right slots.

Might be a good way to add some weight to some of the less great unit things on certain lords and lord types. I'd be a lot more interested in hiring a non-slann lord if I could get a fast dino out or something of similar utility.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Lucinice posted:

The key with Bretonnia is using your superior speed to break up the enemy army and isolate units. When you do go in for the kill, bring in several units and charge them from every angle at the same time. they take some serious leadership debufs when they're alone and surrounded. Stay in melee until they break and then run them down. Repeat.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ardent Communist posted:

Enjoy! https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days

Really hope they make a good stab at a bannerlord mod.

the original lead dev for The Last Days (Ancientwanker) abruptly disappeared and hasn't been heard from in over a decade so it probably won't come from him. There is at least one LotR mod for Bannerlord in development but it's probably a long way from a release

The Last Days is really good though if you don't mind the Warband jank. A couple tips: turn off the option that makes you manually find every vendor in each settlement, and if you play a uruk make sure to get 15 agility because there's only one mount you can ride, the Huge Warg, and it requires 5 riding

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Total_War:_WARHAMMER

Reading this and serenely smiling at how far this game has come.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Random speculation: last LL is Boris Borkha and he starts in the Chaos Realms. This would meet the requirements of going against community expectations wrt the 9th lord's identity (as CA mentioned) and, unlike Be'lakor, he already belongs to a launch faction (since Be'lakor wouldn't serve one of the Gods and I doubt you'd have him as Warriors of Chaos - thus, Be'lakor would have to lead his own faction, which would have been mentioned in the announcement FAQ).

It's gonna be Be'lakor

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that the highest ideal for TW:WH is a set of interesting, varied battles in the context of a world campaign where I get to deploy all the cool models I could never afford in real life and mash them against the cool models my friends also could not afford in real life.

I'm looking forward to learning how they do (or don't) adjust 3 in a way that incentivizes more varied armies. It sucks that the red line of lord skills pushes you towards mono-unit armies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The unit caps in SFO help with that, you want to pick your red line skills based on what unit combinations you want to use, and also bearing in mind that you have factionwide and army caps of unit types, so everyone is gonna have to use some basic core units and you will also probably want to field some armies entirely made of them for support/rearline defence, because you will probably only have enough faction cap to give your best armies the best units.

Combine that with different lord types and the random buffs they can have, and I usually end up fielding a pretty wide variety of army compositions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

The unit caps in SFO
I want to be able to play the game unmodded. Or with as few mods as possible. Saying "SFO does this <thing thay may or may not address the issue>" doesnt help the majority of people.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I sorta see that like saying you want a specific car in red, but they only sell it in green, some stranger out there is offering to paint it red for free but you refuse because that's not what it was sold as.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Have any nerds crunched the numbers of what percentage of people play with mods? Considering how easy workshop is to access it's probably significant

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

I think that the highest ideal for TW:WH is a set of interesting, varied battles in the context of a world campaign where I get to deploy all the cool models I could never afford in real life and mash them against the cool models my friends also could not afford in real life.

I'm looking forward to learning how they do (or don't) adjust 3 in a way that incentivizes more varied armies. It sucks that the red line of lord skills pushes you towards mono-unit armies.

I mean, for one they could make ranged firepower less dominant. That would incentivize more variety. But I agree, I don't think the red line skills are in a great spot now. SFO at least tries to fix it but I don't like a lot of the rest of it. As it is, I think the bigger barrier is that it encourages doomstacking. The supply lines rework mod that gives stacking upkeep on high-tier units instead of armies might be a better way to go (ie a hellstorm gives you a 3% upkeep or whatever the number it is is)

But also, it would take a bunch of work, but I think about how Pillars of Eternity 1 handled weapon specialization. There, instead of picking a weapon you picked a whole group of them at once, themed. So you could pick "soldier" which gave you something like pike, arquebus, greatsword, and warhammer or "peasant" which gave spears, quarterstaves, hunting bows, and hatchet. Point is, all of the various sets included at least one ranged weapon and a variety of different options within the weapon set and had a thematic link. I wonder if you could somehow do the same? I doubt it though.

Last option is just to rework red line skills to be less unit-specific, so now every unit gets +5% speed or whatever.

I think the biggest thing forcing a lack of variety in armies is the supply lines thing though, not red line skills.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I sorta see that like saying you want a specific car in red, but they only sell it in green, some stranger out there is offering to paint it red for free but you refuse because that's not what it was sold as.
This is not at all what is being said. The base game's redline skills push you towards only using, roughly, two unit types in your armies. A mod that completely overhauls the game which includes, but is not limited to, hard restrictions on how many of a unit type can be in an army does not at all address the fact that the base game could make some minor changes related to the original issue and be fine. Or, to use your analogy, you buy a car in green but someone can paint it red for you for free, but they also change the suspension, seats, and sound system to things at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I want to be able to play the game unmodded. Or with as few mods as possible. Saying "SFO does this <thing thay may or may not address the issue>" doesnt help the majority of people.

Use Table Top Caps. It does what it says on the can. Limited amount of special units per army and it forces the AI to follow it as well.