Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i even have some western tracks in my top replay tracks for 2021, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

fun fact: AAA can't/won't tow cars if they aren't registered. Whoops!

Truck's all sold and the guy was juuust about to have it out of here but narp, gotta find a different tow service.

this is entirely up to the tow truck driver, fyi. when you call AAA they just send out someone local who they have an agreement with, and he bills AAA later. what happens between you and the driver is between you and him.

for instance, in order to get AAA to tow a motorcycle, you need to have the super premium plan that lets you get your RV towed or whatever. but if your motorcycle blows up and you have the regular plan, you can just lie and say you're driving your car, insist that you need a flatbed truck because the rear tires shredded, and when the truck arrives it's up to the driver to load your bike or not. for a couple of bills i'm sure he would.

:eng101:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this rules, cheers cinci 😊

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
cjs: JavaScript is actually kind of good

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

this is entirely up to the tow truck driver, fyi. when you call AAA they just send out someone local who they have an agreement with, and he bills AAA later. what happens between you and the driver is between you and him.

for instance, in order to get AAA to tow a motorcycle, you need to have the super premium plan that lets you get your RV towed or whatever. but if your motorcycle blows up and you have the regular plan, you can just lie and say you're driving your car, insist that you need a flatbed truck because the rear tires shredded, and when the truck arrives it's up to the driver to load your bike or not. for a couple of bills i'm sure he would.

:eng101:

Well sounds like the hapless dude whom I sold the truck back to isn't a very good negotiator.

His original plan was to bypass the fuel line completely (because it seemed like the pump was working fine) by having a gas tank in the bed with the hose running over or through the cab into the pump. Didn't get the chance because he locked the keys in there and said "oh I've opened this a million times, I'll come back tomorrow with a coat hanger" then came back the next day and spent all afternoon trying and failing to get the door open at all. That was his 4th visit and I'd lost my patience and told him to get it towed so here we are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

i propose that we make you ik of terrible programming thread

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh man i are so much szechuan food

oh man

i feel amazing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
4 mala rivers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you should be banned for this opinion

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

No you're only allowed post that in the terrible programming thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know about javascript, but i do kinda like java.

it's better than python at least.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Java and Python don’t even occupy the same problem space

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Fool posted:

Java and Python don’t even occupy the same problem space
They are both in my space of experience and I'm nothing if not perpetually a problem so I must disagree

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just spent the last hour figuring out the right incantation of npm audit commands to resolve all vulns in a tutorial project i maintain, only to find out that right now there are about 43 unsolveable vulnerabilities for an empty angular project, none of them actually applicable in any way.

so no, you don't under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"ios developer" on the team needs to set JAVA_HOME for some reason and doesn't know how

doesn't know how to add a command to his shell config file

doesn't where the shell config file would be

doesn't know how to change to his home directory in the shell

isn't quite sure how to "open the file in a text editor"

aside from that i assume he's a v. effective ios developer

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CPColin posted:

cjs: Watching as my most useless coworker flails around in tickets where I know exactly what the problem is, but they keep not reaching out to me, the person who writes the code for these dumb applications, so gently caress them lol

But also gently caress the users for every ticket being a variant of "I can't log into (application name that only mostly resembles what they're trying to log into) at (incorrect URL)" and setting up Useless Coworker to go down yet another rabbit hole.

Have you considered writing documentation for your coworker and others to actually understand your code and what it does

Like, how likely is it that everyone else is the problem, versus your code not being self documenting / obvious enough

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Especially since, it would free up your time in the long run, and solves the "They don't want to bother me for the fifth day in a row because I wrote something weird and confusing" problem, right?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Gazpacho posted:

"ios developer" on the team needs to set JAVA_HOME for some reason and doesn't know how

almost like some people aren't loving obsessed with computers and just learn the parts they need to be productive, and this is that person's moment of having to learn something new to be productive, and they could probably do with someone less insufferably smug being the one to teach them

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I was working on a pipeline template last week and needed to test it against maven

that was my first time touching maven and I’m not impressed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

almost like some people aren't loving obsessed with computers and just learn the parts they need to be productive, and this is that person's moment of having to learn something new to be productive, and they could probably do with someone less insufferably smug being the one to teach them
opening a file in a text editor ffs. not any particular editor, just whatever comes to his mind. except nothing did

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
also idk why you assume that my vents here are a perfect reflection of how i interacted with someone directly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Gazpacho posted:

also idk why you assume that my vents here are a perfect reflection of how i interacted with someone directly

because nerds think they're being stealthy with their scoffs and eyerolls when interacting with someone they view as an intellectual inferior and they aren't. at all.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

linux sucks poo poo and is a terrible development environment

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

linux sucks poo poo and is a terrible development environment
and not one that people generally develop ios software on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

just spent the last hour figuring out the right incantation of npm audit commands to resolve all vulns in a tutorial project i maintain, only to find out that right now there are about 43 unsolveable vulnerabilities for an empty angular project, none of them actually applicable in any way.

so no, you don't under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

javascript is trash and the tooling around it is trash. if you people would just stop using it it would go away

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

and not one that people generally develop ios software on

if you're doing linux shell bullshit its a linux. doesnt matter if apple makes your specific distro

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't mind explaining the other stuff. programmers edit text files. that's what they do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

alexandriao posted:

Have you considered writing documentation for your coworker and others to actually understand your code and what it does

Like, how likely is it that everyone else is the problem, versus your code not being self documenting / obvious enough

The application in question is one I inherited with no documentation and haven't written that much new code for. The specific issue going on is probably that the user is being redirected to the Test SSO portal and using their Production SSO credentials, then getting locked out. If my coworker asked things like "what URL are you trying to use" or "what URL are you being sent to" the problem should become obvious. Instead, they marked the ticket as "in progress" and it's been sitting there like that all day. In the four years I've been here, this coworker has not once successfully delegated a task to anybody who might know better/faster and instead tries to tackle everything on their own for far too long.

Oh, and there have been a few times where they finally did reach out to me about something and I pointed them at the procedure I put in the wiki and got an "oh, I didn't read that" in reply. So keep on flailing until you retire, I guess!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

alexandriao posted:

Especially since, it would free up your time in the long run, and solves the "They don't want to bother me for the fifth day in a row because I wrote something weird and confusing" problem, right?

And the other problem is that, because they never do reach out to me on some of these, they're just sitting there with fifty rotting tickets assigned to them. This is someone with thirty years of experience in their current position.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my boss constantly has to remind me how to do git stuff that gitkraken/fork don’t do automagically for me and I frequently have to Google the commands to set PATHs or envvars or whatever the hell

but boy oh boy do I know exactly what to do to make sure android lifecycles are never the reason I get an NPE

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cjs: i sent the guy an apology

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CPColin posted:

The application in question is one I inherited with no documentation and haven't written that much new code for. The specific issue going on is probably that the user is being redirected to the Test SSO portal and using their Production SSO credentials, then getting locked out. If my coworker asked things like "what URL are you trying to use" or "what URL are you being sent to" the problem should become obvious. Instead, they marked the ticket as "in progress" and it's been sitting there like that all day. In the four years I've been here, this coworker has not once successfully delegated a task to anybody who might know better/faster and instead tries to tackle everything on their own for far too long.

Oh, and there have been a few times where they finally did reach out to me about something and I pointed them at the procedure I put in the wiki and got an "oh, I didn't read that" in reply. So keep on flailing until you retire, I guess!

Ok, so at that point you make yourself a bit more approachable and just reach out to offer a bit of help. Like it wouldn't hurt to say "Hey buddy, I was browsing the open tickets and saw (active ticket id). It's been open for a while and I had a hunch and I think they are actually using the wrong url lol, might be something to check out and i hope u haven't been sent on a wild goosechase because of that!" or whatever.

Personally ive been in the "wow this task that should take 1hr is taking 3 days" territory (I'm in it right now :negative:). It is embarrassing and hurtful and ruins your self confidence. What is likely happening is that this person has a preconception about the codebase and is working either on other things because of the stress, or presumes good faith on the side of the client and is digging into the wrong part of the code to deal with it. If this happens often it just becomes a cycle because you get progressively demoralised and less able to think the longer it goes on :(

Hell, you might learn something about them and they will definitely learn something from your interaction, it sounds like

Also I mean if the job pays and nobody hates you, lmao. Sometimes it's just a learning thing... I hope

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gazpacho posted:

cjs: i sent the guy an apology

I've been on both ends of your story and can say that the apology is probably unneeded but a nice gesture.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Fool posted:

I was working on a pipeline template last week and needed to test it against maven

that was my first time touching maven and I’m not impressed

convention over configuration is a terrible idea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

convention over configuration is a terrible idea.

oh yeah? do you have a better idea?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

yes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

what both make and gradle do: provide the pieces of the golden path, make it easy to use them, while also providing a way within the tool to vary from them as the project and the Boss require

basically follow the end to end principle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

maven is fine as a dependency resolver, if you absolutely must have that sort of thing. The rest of it sucks.