Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

I was left pretty :stare: a while ago after doing one of those blind "which policies do you most agree with" tests, and ending up closest to second the SNP, and first Sinn Fein. I guess the Gaelic surname has deeper roots than I realised. (hosed off that it doesn't get me an Irish passport, though.) But since I live in Bournemouth, I'm doomed to be represented by a particularly lovely little Tory who was Owen Paterson's acolyte.

Sinn Féin don't really have very extreme policies, just a history of killing people (but then, most political parties that have been around for a while can say that)

E: pretty bad snipe, post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sinn Féin don't really have very extreme policies, just a history of killing people (but then, most political parties that have been around for a while can say that)

E: pretty bad snipe, post

Certainly a smaller bodycount than any British government in my lifetime.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Prole posted:

Just enough time to ring Johnson and work out a more dignified exit. Suggests either that the VONC is successful or that it isn't and Brady is pressing his luck. I can't be bothered to wait up to find out, but the result will leak soon enough.

Presumably the press conference is to announce that 54 letters have been received? The vote of no confidence would take place after that, like with May.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Niric posted:

Presumably the press conference is to announce that 54 letters have been received? The vote of no confidence would take place after that, like with May.

The letters I mean, sorry. And they'll give him the opportunity to jump before he's pushed... He won't take it. He's going out like an 80s action sidekick, duel-weilding and covered in sweat and grease.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's not going to jump, but I bet he's going to start removing the whips of the loudest dissenters to get the number of actionable letters below the threshold.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prole posted:

Just enough time to ring Johnson and work out a more dignified exit. Suggests either that the VONC is successful or that it isn't and Brady is pressing his luck. I can't be bothered to wait up to find out, but the result will leak soon enough.

You've skipped a step. Brady can only announce that enough letters have been submitted requesting a VONC; next step is the vote itself, which I suspect Johnson will win (but wouldn't be prepared to put money on it) because he's still too useful to too much of the old guard. At best we've got a couple of days of frantic arm-bending going on behind the scenes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, the backbenchers need to make sure he's been slapped with the blame for:

- Covid
- Brexit
- Andy Murray's inevitable early exit from the Australian Open
- the collapse of the NHS
- the collapse of schools
- the collapse of [rolls dice] prisons
- the Ashes
- inflation caused by Brexit and the unavailability of perishable goods
- the trains not running
- the trains running, but being more expensive
- cuts to the BBC
- the Queen dying
- Emma Raducanu's semi-final defeat
- every river in the UK being filled with raw sewage and the banks being coated with poop tomatoes
- a child dying of e-coli after eating a poop tomato
- muslims
- black people

There's probably a point where they think they've ticked enough points on their bingo cards to kick him out, but it doesn't feel like "now" is quite the right time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand the longer they leave to ditch him, the harder it will be to repair the damage.

E: to the party, that is. I don't think they want the successors to look complicit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've skipped a step. Brady can only announce that enough letters have been submitted requesting a VONC; next step is the vote itself, which I suspect Johnson will win (but wouldn't be prepared to put money on it) because he's still too useful to too much of the old guard. At best we've got a couple of days of frantic arm-bending going on behind the scenes.

It'll be a chuckle at least seeing Kieth rally behind Boris at PMQs in 12 hours

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Twitter has gangtags now, which one of you will be first to get one?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So this has started appearing under some twitter users' profiles :shepface:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

It doesn't show that when I click on his page, I think that is a joke?

https://twitter.com/joeywreck

Like yes it shows him with an image of that but it doesn't actually show that on his profile.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It was there a second ago, I think someone reported him to the feds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

It actually is more like a gangtag than you might suspect, in that that's the user themselves exploiting the way the platform does something to make that appear - Twitter have rolled out a newsletter function (presumably trying to get in on substack et. al.'s action), and the user (https://twitter.com/joeywreck) has set up their link to their newsletter to look like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes that was my surmision given that it says "newslettter" at the top and is giving you the option to subscribe to it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's their Twitter newsletter, whatever the gently caress that means.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want to subscribe to the communism newsletter by the... oh. At least they're honest this time.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Russia looking like they're on an invasion footing on Ukrainian border. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Prole posted:

Russia looking like they're on an invasion footing on Ukrainian border. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

This has been true for at least 70+ years of not more, and I'm including the actual invasions in that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Altho hearing the Defense Secretary bravely vowing to stand up to the Russians with Britain's non-existent capacity to project force abroad is honestly pretty funny, so swings and roundabouts, you know.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think Johnson could probably have waffled his way out of this one if it hadn't been for the Owen Patterson stuff. That burned through all his political capitol and mightily pissed off the backbenchers he's now relying on. Also gave those those backbenchers their first of many tastes of getting torn to shreds by constituents.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Prole posted:

I wouldn't worry about it - it's more beneficial for everyone to pretend Russia is about to invade than if they actually did.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Has anyone ever attained such a massive lead by doing so little and just letting the other guy gently caress up?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't that Blair's strategy?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

smellmycheese posted:

Has anyone ever attained such a massive lead by doing so little and just letting the other guy gently caress up?
Luigi

^^ also, Blair

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No wait Blair had D:Ream too. Who will be Starmer's Brian Cox?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It does seems unlikely that we'd see a full scale military invasion of a European state in 2022 given the current geopolitical context, but then that's exactly what people were saying before WW1 lol.

That said Putin is not stupid, he knows Russia could not come out on top of an actual large scale conflict with the West, which at the end of the day wouldn't actually benefit anyone. I'd stake money on this being mostly dick waving, but who the hell knows.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1483743495525478404?s=19

Lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to imagine he is a very snotty cryer.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The worst case scenario I would expect is they nibble a bit more out of Ukraine and kill a big chunk of the Ukrainian forces. Putin will want a quick easy and above all popular win, territory that's easy to hold, and not do *quite* enough to warrant a military response from the West. That's obviously a pretty major outcome, but then Russian managed to grab Crimea without facing serious repricusions and might be betting on similar apathy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmxeaz6ftE

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, so this is what priapism feels like.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
ahahaha yes! yes!!! i thought that picture of him was after a crying session

if your johnson is weeping, please seek medical advice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he does it for very long you have to think he's just going to dissolve into a bubbling pile of mucus.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao.

I just imagine a few lil drops of custard leaking out of his eyes.

I don't care if any of it's true

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

A pile of snotty custard

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm intrigued about the idea of counting the letters. We know that only Sir Graham Brady gets them and have to take his word that they've been received.

But when they've 'reached' 54, does he then have to prove it? Or does he just say it's at 54, vote time.

I get that he'd be stupid to make it up, because if you can't get 54 to trigger then you won't get the vote through, but even that raises another question. If the vote can only be held each 12 months, could he 'declare' early to make sure it fails?

Regarding the Hodges tweet, much as I'd love it to be true, Hodge's is full of poo poo normally, so it would be hypocritical to believe this one just because it's what I want.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 19, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cue the centrist columns about how now that we've seen Boris's human side he's ok with us in 3, 2...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

I'm intrigued about the idea of counting the letters. We know that only Sir Graham Brady gets them and have to take his word that they've been received.

But when they've 'reached' 54, does he then have to prove it? Or does he just say it's at 54, vote time.

I get that he'd be stupid to make it up, because if you can't get 54 to trigger then you won't get the vote through, but even that raises another question. If the vote can only be held each 12 months, could he 'declare' early to make sure it fails?

Regarding the Hodges tweet, much as I'd love it to be true, Hodge's is full of poo poo normally, so it would be hypocritical to believe this one just because it's what I want.

Is the running tally made known to them too? I can't remember from the May one. If so, I should imagine there's a flurry towards the end, with people hedging their bets submitting only when they're sure it'll definitely go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bug Squash posted:

The worst case scenario I would expect is they nibble a bit more out of Ukraine and kill a big chunk of the Ukrainian forces. Putin will want a quick easy and above all popular win, territory that's easy to hold, and not do *quite* enough to warrant a military response from the West. That's obviously a pretty major outcome, but then Russian managed to grab Crimea without facing serious repricusions and might be betting on similar apathy.

It's a hell of a gamble though, and what does Putin gain? A bit of a ratings boost? He's already untouchable in Russia. He got away with Crimea because of Western apathy, but I'm not sure that would hold once he started to seriously threaten to encroach on NATO's borders. Ukraine serves as a useful buffer state, and in any case would he want to even further tank relations with the EU/USA to take over a territory that would just end up being a huge headache to control?