Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

downout posted:

I always put lower level troops in front of the higher level troops.

My thinking is they need to be in front to get the kills to level, if they get hit and die then I care less because they're lower, and higher level troops can shoot from farther away accurately.

Anyone else do it this way?

I used to, when you still could lol

My tactic was that when I had a bunch of units, or if I was just trying to train dudes I'd have a line of elites and then I'd have my giant ball of low rank idiots follow me around their flank and hammer the anvil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Ah the goonswarm method. Tried and true indeed

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I used to, when you still could lol

My tactic was that when I had a bunch of units, or if I was just trying to train dudes I'd have a line of elites and then I'd have my giant ball of low rank idiots follow me around their flank and hammer the anvil

Can you not do this anymore in 1.7?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah they have this flashy new system that looks cool but is actually kind of annoying to use. No more assigning specifics units or character into specific groups, everything is now automatically grouped into similar-unit squads that you assign in a pre-battle screen

the problem with this is that in order to say, get more spearmen in this squad and more shieldsmen in that squad, you use a slider and the game mostly treats these weights as a suggestion more than a hard rule. And you can't tell it "no shields", just "I would prefer no shields please if you don't mind". And you can't get too specific with the unit weighitng either, there's no way to separate crossbowmen and archers, or low rank units and high rank units. And no more assigning companions to whatever, they're stuck being sergeants for assigned squads.

It's a cool system (that I would prefer if I didn't have to do it every single time I start a battle; at least it remembers your last settings lol) but it's not so cool that it was worth just ditching the customizability and granularity of the old system imo

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 14, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i saw a bunch of people complaining about them taking away the formation assignments on reddit so they may eventually implement something like it in the new system

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it seems like the best thing to do would just be to roll the old system into the new one. Something as simple as it remembering your assignments in the party menu like it used to, and then just letting you select those assignments in the new menu would be enough for most people. It'd be enough for me at least.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the new system would be cool but the auto assign is loving garbage.

So if they just let me assign troops to specific formations that'd be grand.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is there any way to make sure your peasants are fed? I would go and give the stupid leaders food but nope village is still starving. what the gently caress did you assholes do with all that grain?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When it says the villagers are starving in the village menu text that just means the village is poor. The only economic statistic that villages have is "hearths" (ie households) which goes up automatically with time, and a higher value increases the food it supplies to the town and I think the amount of goods it produces. The hearths go to like 0 when the village gets raided by enemies. I think the only way to give hearths a boost is with the town projects.

I think the villages should be self-sufficient in food but if you see in the village's trade inventory that they're out of food items you should be able to sell them some to plug the gap.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 15, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My villagers seem to eat an extraordinary amount of wheat and cheese and nothing else. Maybe they're making pizzas or something?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Is it possible to make a kingdom without doing the campaign quest? Clan level 6?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Is there a mod that allows you to just buy whatever custom smithy weapon you want?

Smithing could be OK but now it feels like its only purpose is to lock 99% of all the available weapons behind a dump stat that breaks the economy. I'm a millionaire with a dozen fiefs, I should be able to commission my own gear now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shear Modulus posted:

When it says the villagers are starving in the village menu text that just means the village is poor. The only economic statistic that villages have is "hearths" (ie households) which goes up automatically with time, and a higher value increases the food it supplies to the town and I think the amount of goods it produces. The hearths go to like 0 when the village gets raided by enemies. I think the only way to give hearths a boost is with the town projects.

I think the villages should be self-sufficient in food but if you see in the village's trade inventory that they're out of food items you should be able to sell them some to plug the gap.

I believe the "Village needs tools/draft animals/grain" quests also add hearths

Doing quests for your village in general is probably a good idea

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
+1 to the 'new formation system is annoying.' I do not know how the game decided that calvary needs to be in the archer formation at all times, but I'm also never allowed to correct it. Sliders don't help, and adding new formations just makes the game throw up proverbial question marks and give nothing to them.

It's a good thing I heavily invest in putting stuff away for rainy days and being the fastest mofo on the map. I don't get into that many situations where it'll punish me for the weirdness.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Bring able to pre-place formations is awesome but the decision to change the existing method for placing individual troop types into categories is so incredibly dumb.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I do really like the ability to split formations into two easily. Previously you couldn't easily, because all troops of the same type had to be in the same formation (ie you couldn't command two groups of Khan guards simultaneously).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What mod manager should I use? Nexus' default sucks rear end.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just like warband, there's not much need for a mod manager for bannerlord. Put the individual mod folders inside (steam default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules and then you can enable/disable them and specify launch order in the regular game launcher.

The only issue you'll run into is needing to unblock the DLL files in the mods, which you can do manually or with something like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/397

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Anyone found a mod or way to make companion parties a little more productive on their own? Seems like with larger bandit parties they should be able to be productive just farming on them, but they are almost always a net negative.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Our firstborn son! He shall be our heir. He will rule this kingdom, one day. We should give him a name redolent of steel, fire and blood; a name that strikes terror into his enemies. He shall be named... DERR-THERRRT"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tree Bucket posted:

"Our firstborn son! He shall be our heir. He will rule this kingdom, one day. We should give him a name redolent of steel, fire and blood; a name that strikes terror into his enemies. He shall be named... DERR-THERRRT"

Bob Loblaw

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, something gives a fuckton of charm experience to governors every so often. I can't see what, but my Spicevendor governor just got 30 charm levels at once. It doesn't look like a building was built during that time either.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Unlocked the voulge head and its hilarious how much more powerful it is on horseback than anything else. 400+ damage per hit and you barely have to aim.

I know it was similar in Warband but it's a bit disappointing that the balance seems to be so off here, there's a bunch of stuff that's just head and shoulders above the rest to do (smithing, horseback archer + polearm, Fians) that its hard to justify doing anything else.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Unlocked the voulge head and its hilarious how much more powerful it is on horseback than anything else. 400+ damage per hit and you barely have to aim.

I know it was similar in Warband but it's a bit disappointing that the balance seems to be so off here, there's a bunch of stuff that's just head and shoulders above the rest to do (smithing, horseback archer + polearm, Fians) that its hard to justify doing anything else.

I'd suggest you look at smithing yourself a two-handed axe instead of the polearm, tbh. At some point you do enough damage to just outright kill people like with polearms, but two-handed axes get cleave. If I'm doing archer drive-bys I can kill two or sometimes three people per swing.

Also i suspect a very high ranking javelin character can put out comparable kills as an archer can, but I haven't tried it. Being able to ignore shields sounds so good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ravenfood posted:

I'd suggest you look at smithing yourself a two-handed axe instead of the polearm, tbh. At some point you do enough damage to just outright kill people like with polearms, but two-handed axes get cleave. If I'm doing archer drive-bys I can kill two or sometimes three people per swing.

Also i suspect a very high ranking javelin character can put out comparable kills as an archer can, but I haven't tried it. Being able to ignore shields sounds so good.

I literally haven't unlocked any 2 handed axe pieces (aside from the default 2 annoyingly)

I've heard mixed things about axes anyway, some people seem to say the damage is mediocre but others like the cleave? Will give it a go when I can anyway.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

MikeCrotch posted:

I literally haven't unlocked any 2 handed axe pieces (aside from the default 2 annoyingly)

I've heard mixed things about axes anyway, some people seem to say the damage is mediocre but others like the cleave? Will give it a go when I can anyway.

Having done extensive horseback flailing, I feel the axes being so much slower somewhat negates the cleave- especially when riding along an archer line golfswinging the same length glaive header has So much more swing speed that you can usually hit twice compared to one axe swing. Then again I do play at minimum difficulty so have more leeway on riding along rather than making every hit count. A short hafted glaive can get near 100 swing speed when masterworked and still be comfortably longer than a 2h axe.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Playing on vanilla, I’ve got my dude married and have given the dragon banner to Battania. Now trying to conquer the world for my new buddies.

What am I supposed to be doing at this stage in the game? Just conquering as much as possible in each war? Is there a less painful way to get troops into my clan’s other parties rather than recruiting by hand and then transferring them over?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

The real benefit is being able to 1 shot anything while moving so I can charge right for the enemy lord and one shot him and his buddies. Sure I only get about 33ish shots a fight but it's enough to kill anything and every shot is a kill as armor/shields don't matter and I hit for like 500 damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Playing on realistic, the cleave of the axe is real good when you can't just sit there because you'll get owned by a fian or some poo poo.

MikeCrotch posted:

I've been playing a Sturgian axeman + thrower, which has been really fun. Sturgian shieldwalls are pretty good too, higher level troops with throwing axes + your own character skilled to break shields will absolutely blunt the gently caress out of an enemy charge before they get there due to them having no shields anymore.

It's not quite as powerful as Fians but Fians don't really get to do poo poo against a wall of shields walking at them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The real benefit is being able to 1 shot anything while moving so I can charge right for the enemy lord and one shot him and his buddies. Sure I only get about 33ish shots a fight but it's enough to kill anything and every shot is a kill as armor/shields don't matter and I hit for like 500 damage.

How do you get so many javelins? The highest stack I've seen is 5. But yeah, while bows get more ammo they often don't kill in one shot so your total kills/battle goes down a lot. Plus they can be blocked by shields as well. Crossbows probably can get up to the one-shot-kill range but they are just so slow I haven't tried personally, but elite vlandian crossbowmen seem like they come close to fians in terms of ranged power while still being good in melee. Obviously not as good, but maybe worth trying.

I wish I could get "noble" infantry. Elite Sturgian axemen as upgraded Varyags would be great. The increased number of noble troops is great for fians and khan guards but horrible for trying to recruit high tier infantry and it seems like there are more cavalry recruits for the sturgians than infantry.

e: Answered my question about number of javelins. You can get a total of +5 ammo (presumably per slot) if you start mounted. That's 30 javelins if you take three slots each, which, yeah, gives you about 1/2 to 2/3rds of bow ammo in return for monstrously higher damage and through-shield penetration. So it would take a long while but you're probably better off in the very long run. I might have to try an infantryman with 3 javelins next time around.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 19, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I wonder how effective it would be to get noble heavy cav and order them to dismount in battle? Would be historically accurate! I am assuming that lovely Athletics would be the killer there (plus cost).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MikeCrotch posted:

I wonder how effective it would be to get noble heavy cav and order them to dismount in battle? Would be historically accurate! I am assuming that lovely Athletics would be the killer there (plus cost).

They can fight pretty well if my experiences in hideouts and keeps is any indication but they'd be crazy expensive for what you're using them for.

Reject noble troops, embrace removing the companion cap and making an entire army out of cast off nobles with crafted 200,000 gold swords

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there any gunpowder era mod in the works? Seems much more sparse than warband's rich mod ecosystem.

Lmao well there's this atrocity:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/space-station-13

Also last time I played the gang and crime thing seemed so potentially interesting but insanely undercooked. Has that improved much?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 19, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Is there any gunpowder era mod in the works? Seems much more sparse than warband's rich mod ecosystem.

Lmao well there's this atrocity:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/space-station-13

Also last time I played the gang and crime thing seemed so potentially interesting but insanely undercooked. Has that improved much?

what in the absolute christ is this

also how was this posted in 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There are several, but none particularly close to being playable that I know of.

Yes, the game that has been out for 12 years has a richer mod ecosystem than the game that's still in early access.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

HiroProtagonist posted:

what in the absolute christ is this

also how was this posted in 2013

Dying in the cradle is on brand for SS13 clones though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SS14 looks the most likely to go the distance at this point.

https://spacestation14.io/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cup Runneth Over posted:

SS14 looks the most likely to go the distance at this point.

https://spacestation14.io/

This is going to be absurd when it hits steam. I honestly wonder how it's going to do. It's kind of too complex and roleplay heavy for the Amogus groups, and too visually simple to get a lot of streamer attention. But maybe it'll have enough of a base that it can get off that godawful service it's currently on.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm glad at least one of the ss13 clones is approaching being a real game. At the same time, I don't think I would play unless its a goon server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is going to be absurd when it hits steam. I honestly wonder how it's going to do. It's kind of too complex and roleplay heavy for the Amogus groups, and too visually simple to get a lot of streamer attention. But maybe it'll have enough of a base that it can get off that godawful service it's currently on.

There's streamers that do complex and roleplay heavy games. Like Criken, and he's got a big following.