Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I usually clean / de-scale my 2L Nalgene like every 3-4 months. Drinking out of a toilet would probably be better for my health.

What's the maximum amount of time without cleaning your reusable water bottle before it starts making you sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this is a trick question. they never need to be cleaned. same goes for bicycle water bottles.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
You mean clean it by filling it with vodka and getting belligerently drunk in public right?

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I have two identical ones so I can leave the other one full, in the freezer. This doubles the normal amount of time I can go without giving them a once over. Working in restaurants, I have access to industrial cleaning apparatus which I use once a week. Any longer and the threads at the top become indefensibly gross. Ever wipe the top with a white napkin after a road trip and it comes away with dark orange streaks? Human beings are disgusting.

Relatedly, I love the idea of camelbacks, but I could not be satisfied after two months of use that they would ever be sanitary again.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

numberoneposter posted:

this is a trick question. they never need to be cleaned. same goes for bicycle water bottles.

Yup. Actually at some point I had one start smelling bad so I pulled another one out of the pile of free ones I've gotten over the years

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I have two, and I generally go about three days with one before putting it in the dishwasher and using the other.

I also never put my mouth on the lip, preferring instead to pour the water into my big stupid open mouth from a slight distance.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just dribk tap water (:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
like once every couple of weeks usually. I have the little rubber inserts for the wide mouth Nalgene to help control the flow so I don't make a mess of myself and those need cleaning wayyyy more often

tbh tho I have like 3 32oz Nalgenes and 2 24oz bike water bottles and another 20 oz one by my computer so it's a lot to keep track of

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I drank some milk in one once, as one does, and didn’t rinse it out well. It never smelled the same again.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I dunno? Every few months I guess. The water started tasting real bad once so now I know when it’s ready

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bagmonkey posted:

like once every couple of weeks usually. I have the little rubber inserts for the wide mouth Nalgene to help control the flow so I don't make a mess of myself and those need cleaning wayyyy more often

Lol I love waking up and trying to take a sip at 3am and accidentally splashing my face and neck with cold rear end water. I refuse to use one of those tbings

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

numberoneposter posted:

Lol

Matlack Radio posted:

I have two identical ones so I can leave the other one full, in the freezer. This doubles the normal amount of time I can go without giving them a once over. Working in restaurants, I have access to industrial cleaning apparatus which I use once a week. Any longer and the threads at the top become indefensibly gross. Ever wipe the top with a white napkin after a road trip and it comes away with dark orange streaks? Human beings are disgusting.

Relatedly, I love the idea of camelbacks, but I could not be satisfied after two months of use that they would ever be sanitary again.
I'm hip to the streaks. Dark orange exactly like you describe. Vile!

Sometimes I will take a swig and immediately feel like 5% nauseous. That's when I dump the water out and rinse with hot water, but I usually don't break out the bottle brush + effervescent descaling tablets until I start wiping orange Crudd from around the Rimm.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Lol I love waking up and trying to take a sip at 3am and accidentally splashing my face and neck with cold rear end water. I refuse to use one of those tbings

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRNW1B5/ref=twister_B08G2JSKK9?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 game changer my dude!!! I use this on my bedside one, it's a cool looking one from REI with a neat retro print and lady bagmo doesn't mind it shockingly

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Matlack Radio posted:

they work really well if you put booze through them every so often! otherwise you better dry those fuckers out 100% or The Black Gunk is comin for ya

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've had both those lids and the inserts and I honestly just prefer the wide mouth

It's just water so who cares if u get a little wet u know?? In exchange you get luxurious high throughput for wjent youre REALLY THIRSTY!! :q:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i bring mine with me to the dentist and ask them to clean it for me while they're cleaning my teeth

might as well get all mouth related upkeep done in one trip

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Both of the default lids on my two 48oz 'genes are broken and in different ways. I ordered replacements from the official Nalgene site over two months ago. I finally called customer support last Friday and they assured me they'd overnight a new shipment of my order. This order was supposed to arrive yesterday and I have yet to receive my fwiggen lids!!

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

The Black Gunk
If you ever need some sort of general, anecdotal idea of a restaurant's quality, fieldstrip one of these bad boys:

It is the first thing I do when staging at a new place, and in my fifteen years in the industry(usa) I'd say I have found 38% of them cared for.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I like to give my immune system a good workout

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I paid good money for those germs and like hell I'm going to throw them out like nothing.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a dishwasher so if I have space for the nalgene and other bottles I put them in there. So at least once a week. I assume anyone waiting literal months doesn’t have a dishwasher??

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress's a nalgene? is that like a cloaca?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I use it for about 2 or 3 weeks before throwing it down the storm drain and buying another

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i have a water filter that cost like 400 bucks that screws right onto a nalgene bottle and filters a L of water in about 30 seconds. its one of my favourite things I own easily. theres a video where the hipster idiots at the company that make it go to rural india and stick it in a ditch and fill a bottle and the locals literally come running and are like 'noooo don't drink that!!'

but you can drink it. pretty cool.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

My wife had one I made her throw away, and promise not to be gross anymore. She hadn’t cleaned it for years and the bacteria had pitted and was deteriorating the top of the bottle. She kept it at work so I normally didn’t see it.

This arrived this morning!

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 19, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

LuckyCat posted:

I have a dishwasher so if I have space for the nalgene and other bottles I put them in there. So at least once a week. I assume anyone waiting literal months doesn’t have a dishwasher??
i put my nalgene through the dishwasher every time i put my cast iron in there

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

LuckyCat posted:

The only time I tried washing my bottle in the D-Washer the lid ended up floppin' down onto the heating element that dries the dishes during the dry cycle. It melted / cut the lid in twain like a lightsaber.

I'll try this again sans lid, thanks!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The Walrus posted:

i have a water filter that cost like 400 bucks that screws right onto a nalgene bottle and filters a L of water in about 30 seconds. its one of my favourite things I own easily. theres a video where the hipster idiots at the company that make it go to rural india and stick it in a ditch and fill a bottle and the locals literally come running and are like 'noooo don't drink that!!'

Post your affiliate link this sounds like a cool product!!

You still gotta clean it tho

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

numberoneposter posted:

Why would a nalgene need daily cleaning?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's analgene

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

numberoneposter posted:

That makes a lot more sense, I put mine in with my paper plates

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Why would a nalgene need daily cleaning?

he's a goon, he's probably got some nasty mouth poo poo goin on

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mkvltra posted:

Post your affiliate link this sounds like a cool product!!

You still gotta clean it tho

gets run through with a bleach solution one time at the end of the camping season, thats it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Walrus posted:

gets run through with a bleach solution one time at the end of the camping season, thats it

but enough about your bunghole

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The Walrus posted:

theres a video where the hipster idiots at the company that make it go to rural india and stick it in a ditch and fill a bottle and the locals literally come running and are like 'noooo don't drink that!!'

And while I was there this Indian guy comes running up to me with tears in his eyes, he says "Sir, we can't let you do this. Sir you can't drink the ditchwater." Big, strong guy, folks, and he had tears. And then a big, big crowd came too. I don't want to say a number, because then they'll... well, let's just say it was a huge crowd. Tremendous. Of Indians. They like me in India. And I assume there were others too. But I did drink that water. Believe me, I drank it. I drank it strongly until there was none left. Dirty water like you wouldn't believe, in that ditch. But these filters, they're something aren't they? Yes they are, they're something folks. And the people, the Indians, they loved it and they said "Thank you, sir, thank you." Beautiful Indian women came up to me to say thank you, to kiss me, you know, but that's. Well, let's just say they were very grateful and sometimes, maybe a little too grateful.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the implied comparison is one of the most insulting things anyone has ever said to me but also, lol

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

We are a hydroflask family. I don’t allow that nalgene garbage under my roof. :colbert:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Bad Purchase posted:

And while I was there this Indian guy comes running up to me with tears in his eyes, he says "Sir, we can't let you do this. Sir you can't drink the ditchwater." Big, strong guy, folks, and he had tears. And then a big, big crowd came too. I don't want to say a number, because then they'll... well, let's just say it was a huge crowd. Tremendous. Of Indians. They like me in India. And I assume there were others too. But I did drink that water. Believe me, I drank it. I drank it strongly until there was none left. Dirty water like you wouldn't believe, in that ditch. But these filters, they're something aren't they? Yes they are, they're something folks. And the people, the Indians, they loved it and they said "Thank you, sir, thank you." Beautiful Indian women came up to me to say thank you, to kiss me, you know, but that's. Well, let's just say they were very grateful and sometimes, maybe a little too grateful.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
btw if you have a nalgene other than one of these babies you are a sucker. cheaper AND lighter and there is a cool cougar on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Flowers for QAnon posted:

My wife had one I made her throw away, and promise not to be gross anymore. She hadn’t cleaned it for years and the bacteria had pitted and was deteriorating the top of the bottle. She kept it at work so I normally didn’t see it.

This arrived this morning!

TIP BACK THE YETI TIP BACK THE YETI