Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Consider past "big, open" maps like Altai Range and Somme. There's still a ton of functional cover and you can manage to gently caress about from point to point with a shotgun, no problem.

If you dropped the 2042 vehicles and weapons into those settings, I bet they'd play better than Hourglass or Kaleidoscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Just had a round on kaleidoscope where everyone was using the condor instead of the little bird. Was a great, close game. We barely won by 6 tickets. Ended up piloting for a pubbie who seat swapped and managed to make the final score quip thing for pilot assists. We ended up doing like a 12 minute run in the basic loadout condor until the other team just relentlessly ran AA and jets to knock us out of the sky.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dog nougat posted:

Lol. Just had a round on kaleidoscope where everyone was using the condor instead of the little bird. Was a great, close game. We barely won by 6 tickets. Ended up piloting for a pubbie who seat swapped and managed to make the final score quip thing for pilot assists. We ended up doing like a 12 minute run in the basic loadout condor until the other team just relentlessly ran AA and jets to knock us out of the sky.

Anyone who takes the little bird over the condor / hind hates their team. :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chronojam posted:

There definitely isn't enough cover, especially between points. The meager cover there is directly around points crates lines of scrimmage that players on both sides are very hesitant to cross, because there isn't enough cover elsewhere.

Zavod wasn't a big map but it's got tons more cover and feels like more trees than any 2042 map.
Huh if you think about it there's not a single well-forested map in the game.

Like they have trees, breakable trees, so we know the engine can handle them... but there are just so few of them.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I've just realised what the maps remind me if. It's really old open world games and the voxel era like Delta Force. Really basic terrain and a huge amount of empty space - just in high resolution this time.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah this is the crazy stuff to me, several of the maps just lack, like, almost any sign of any of the lessons learned over the last two decades of 3d fps level design, it's beyond perplexing. Like it's common that there will be both little to no cover (much less actual defilade to work around) for attackers while simultaneously there are no meaningfully strong positions for defenders to anchor a defense around. It's often like the inherent asymmetry of defenders being at a disadvantage because you know where they're going to be just was never even considered. It also plays better because then the fight for the point is over, generally, first the strong point(s) of the site, then over the objective itself

to say nothing of the almost total absence of z-axis map design outside of pointlessly large towers. Most of the time there is something going on with verticality it's too high to actually make a difference or be accessible to anyone without a grapple.

imo the flat objectives without mixed level approaches really exacerbates every other problem with the game

Yes but have you considered that one half of the map is lush and the other is arid? That is very _Thought Provoking_

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I honestly forgot this was a last-gen game

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anyone who takes the little bird over the condor / hind hates their team. :colbert:

Skygods with the littel bird can climb to 140 kills. Make a kill every 6 seconds or so. Die maybe one or two times in a game.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Tei posted:

Skygods with the littel bird can climb to 140 kills. Make a kill every 6 seconds or so. Die maybe one or two times in a game.

One good thing about getting the scoreboard back: I was helping out a squadmate in the littlebird as our team tried to push A1 (miserably) in Breakaway Breakthrough. When someone complained that we have no air support, I was able to say that my squadmate had something like 70 kills, but everytime he wiped out a bunch of enemies, nobody pushed up to take advantage.

Incidentally, I noticed the other day that the killfeed is just broken for me. It only shows my squad mates, no matter what the setting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In defense of skygods, any good player can score more than 90 kills in a game. Infantry, vehicles, flying machines. A good player is a good player no matter what role he excel at.

These of us that are bad or average and die a lot, is because we are bad or average. The god tier levels die a lot less and do a lot more kills. Randomness still kill them sometimes.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Incidentally, I noticed the other day that the killfeed is just broken for me. It only shows my squad mates, no matter what the setting.

Yes, there's something horribly broken with the proximity-based 'event feed' for lack of a better term. This is most easily visible when it shows you the range-sorted list of who can revive you when you're downed.

1. Names on list are incorrect. I've looked around while downed and seen multiple Falcks within a couple meters of me but the list will show 2 people 40+ meters away.
2. Ranges on list are incorrect. Adjacent names have a tendency to lock to the same range so you'll have 2 squad members in completely different places but the range for both of them will be exactly the same and change at the same time.

So basically it has 2 purposes and utterly fails at both of them. Feels like they just put it in so they could say they did something.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tei posted:

In defense of skygods, any good player can score more than 90 kills in a game. Infantry, vehicles, flying machines. A good player is a good player no matter what role he excel at.

Can't really speak much for BF2042 but in previous titles getting 90 kills in a game playing only as Infantry is much rarer feat than "any good player"

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Tei posted:

These of us that are bad or average and die a lot, is because we are bad or average. The god tier levels die a lot less and do a lot more kills. Randomness still kill them sometimes.

That's not true for the most part, BF1 stats page had separate KDR for vehicles and infantry and you could clearly see that skygods never set foot on the ground.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's this. The little bird is a totally valid option for just killing infantry and the occasional oblivious vehicle. But it's harder to be an actual benefit to the team through raw kills alone when it's easy as hell to revive someone. The transport vehicles offer more use to the team overall. The ability to act as a mobile spawn point is incredibly useful, especially on breakthrough. They take a while to upgrade, but the base grenade launcher is still a super viable weapon unless you wanna engage armor.

On the flip-side I've found myself mostly gravitating to an AA assistance/spotter role. I'll play as Rao with the soflam and emp grenades a full-on electronic warfare setup. Designating and hacking vehicles is really helpful to the team and helps drive off the vehicles or makes them easy pickings.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah my default gadget is the AA launcher. I don't even pull it out every life, but it's nice to have a back pocket way to spook choppers away from a point I'm trying to cap or defend

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Didn’t see any notes to lock in for the AA being fixed.

Seems like half the time it still refuses to provide visual and auditory feedback

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Beastie posted:

Didn’t see any notes to lock in for the AA being fixed.

Seems like half the time it still refuses to provide visual and auditory feedback

dunno if you've noticed this part but if an aircraft has recently shot it's flares you won't be able to lock on to it for a little bit. that's usually what keeps me from getting any sort of lock on indicator on aircraft

forest spirit posted:

Am I in battlefield 3?
Is this operation firestorm?
am I located at a destroyed oil refinery?

because I'm being gaslit yo

unless i'm going crazy i feel like every battlefield game has had people complaining about too much running and not enough cover. pretty easy to find people online complaining about it in 5 and 1

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

whaley posted:

dunno if you've noticed this part but if an aircraft has recently shot it's flares you won't be able to lock on to it for a little bit. that's usually what keeps me from getting any sort of lock on indicator on aircraft

The issue seems to be that the lock on indicator doesn't work afterwards and just magically locks on again with no acquisition portion

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as a pilot idk why i'm saying this, but the secret to the aa launcher is, after you know counter measures have been used (and if you can't lock, they've used counter measures), to continue tracking like you can lock on while holding down m1.

I'd probably just hold m1 as a blanket thing with the launcher since aside from bad pilots you generally aren't getting them to pop flares without the missile launch cue

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I usually just hold mb1 and fire no matter what I think their flare status is since I consider MANPADS mostly a deterrent rather than something I'm actually gonna kill a pilot with. It's a pleasant surprise if I get a hit or even a kill, but as an infantryman I really just want them to go away and stay scared

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Found a zombie lobby with no time limit and no scoring goal. Guess that’s an easy way to unlock gun attachments.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat did a bunch of terrible players come crawling out of the woodwork this patch? I'm consistently on terrible, terrible teams with zero concept of teamwork all day today.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

dog nougat posted:

drat did a bunch of terrible players come crawling out of the woodwork this patch? I'm consistently on terrible, terrible teams with zero concept of teamwork all day today.

It's people who haven't played since the last patch so they're a month out of touch and rusty

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Rip battlefield. :rip:

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1484261137818525714?t=R8Ih8vGFcWDX2_oFKXZ64w&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Making a bad game F2P doesn't convince people to play a bad game

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's some bad game that went f2p and did better than I thought on streaming but its not DayZ and I don't remember now.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

geez.. well they did this to themselves

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i cooked this pizza for half the time it said to, why don't people like eating raw dough

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i cooked this pizza for half the time it said to, why don't people like eating raw dough

I'll bet that's the one option EA still will not even entertain exploring is time. The "don't release half cooked poo poo" message hasn't gotten through.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ive seen literally 0 cheaters getting to level s000 or w/e it is which is extremely anomalous in the current fps landscape but making the game f2p is a great way to encourage a mass cheater problem

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's because the cheat producers pulled support for the game due to all of its issues

Literally

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

it worked for Destiny

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all the major fps titles currently have a huge gigantic cheater problem it's ridiculous

rust, halo infinite, cs:go, apex legends, escape from tarkov, pubg, overwatch, warzone, even bfv/1 according to this thread

2042 having basically no cheaters is one of its major selling points lmao it's so refreshing

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, the F2P weekend on Steam worked for only the weekend and slowed down the playercount bleed on Steam by a little bit. Still ~7-10% player retention after 2 months is not a good luck and it's easy to see why EA is very disappointed

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Forcing it out the door and then abandoning it for three months after which you triumphantly declare you're adding a scoreboard.

Who could've predicted the poor reception?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's because the cheat producers pulled support for the game due to all of its issues

Literally

Too much dev time and not enough of a market to cover the costs, I'd imagine. Maybe going f2p would increase the market size enough to pay for the additional resources required to develop cheats?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

When did 2042 release again? Im trying to figure if my 5 month F2P / Gamepass prediction was on point or if i need them to hold off a little.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ZeusCannon posted:

When did 2042 release again? Im trying to figure if my 5 month F2P / Gamepass prediction was on point or if i need them to hold off a little.

We hit two (2) months yesterday.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm gonna wait and see for what he says because so far dude has been the primary source for the "it was originally a battle royale" statement that has been completely unsubstantiated.

Like the entire tweet is stirring the pot and offering no actual information.

"EA is reportedly very disappointed with how Battlefield 2042 has performed"

Performed how? It sold extremely well, even in December and was the 5th best selling game in the US all year: https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/01/18/switch-was-2021s-best-selling-console-in-us-call-of-duty-vanguard-was-best-selling-game

"and is 'looking at all the options' when it comes to the title, this is including looking at Free to Play in some capacity."

So it could go F2P, it couldn't go F2P, or they could make part of it F2P. Henderson himself tweeted in March that there was a BF survey looking to consider a F2P element before BF2042 was even announced.

https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1375403976980639748?t=aL9hSo9LhvcwOQRAlhdMYQ&s=19

This series is a cash cow. People wanted Firestorm to go F2P and it never did and it died. If anything, Hazard Zone would go F2P, but there's no way that they would have the main modes do that.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
didn't henderson also report battlefield 2042 was ahead of schedule

Tiny Timbs posted:

Literally

good