Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

boop the snoot posted:

as long as $$$ is the name of the game for the people in charge then you can pretty much dream up any government you want and it'll still find a way to suck

It's like playing a board game with an rear end in a top hat. They'll argue the letter of the law to break the spirit of the law, plead the spirit of the law to break the letter, and willingly misinterpret rules that are clear as day to gain a minor advantage. No form of government on any level can survive having bad-faith actors at the top, and the only thing you can really do is try and limit the power and numbers of assholes who make it in—because there will always be assholes who want nothing more than to be at the top, regardless of what system you have in place.

(This is why, though I am not an anarchist myself, I have a lot of sympathy for anarchist philosophy: because they are fundamentally correct that any system that allows one person to have power over another will inevitably be abused by those with power against those who don't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

One of the things the last 5 years has screamed loudly into the ears of anyone listening is just how half-baked the government that booted up in 1789 was, and how it survived fairly well for at least 200 years based largely on reasonable people being reasonable and making handshake deals that plastered over all the gaps.

I get a chicken/egg divide in my feelings on this. The US has absolutely been held together by bubble gum and duct tape norms that plastered over the flaws. The flip side of my thoughts on this are that when a critical mass of an organization like a society care about nothing but hatred of the other and attempting violence on them I don't see how much of any system continues functioning under those conditions. Brutally suppressional totalitarianism maybe, where bigger guns leave no options. Anything short of that though, when too many of the people in a system decide hating the other is more important than the system how does anything stand against that tide?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Things are looking bad for Tonga

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/300500479/in-pictures-tonga-covered-in-ash-devastated-by-natural-disaster

There's serious concerns about water - a lot of supply has been contaminated. Two RNZN ships are on their way up now, and our Hercs are in the air with supplies which is likely to be a recurring theme.

US can just dock a nuke there and get easy power generation and desalination right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

"After terrible misunderstanding, US nukes Tonga."

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/danny_catlow/status/1484188228546490376?s=21

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1484184299914076160

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How are you surprised by this?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

FrozenVent posted:

How are you surprised by this?
This.

This poo poo is EXACTLY the intent of these laws. Drip drip dripping our way into christofacist sharia law.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Best general description of the administration and our collective attitude about it:

I remember in the late Obama years that there were a lot of authors publishing books about how government got so big and has to do so much that not even someone fully competent could run it effectively. They never had good solutions, because right now, the only ones that can do anything would be the states, and they're full of this kind of thing:

Ive had that shower thought before. either we need to massively increase the effectiveness of education on the populace, to spread and lighten the load. orrrr the complexity will reduce by itself. You can guess how the latter will happen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
WOW the moral high ground for Democrats just gained another 10k feet with this TN news! Can't wait to donate to stop this kind of thing.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I’m starting to think TN is going to be the first to restrict voting access to white Christian landowning males

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

crazyivan45 posted:

I’m starting to think TN is going to be the first to restrict voting access to white Christian landowning males

Hard to be first when that used to be every state.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"After terrible misunderstanding, US nukes Tonga."

You'd make a terrible WH press secretary.

"US takes swift action to reduce magnitude of future refugee crisis due to naturally occurring climate change. Anyone affected who did not see this coming ahould have referred to sea level forecasts freely available on the internet."

Or the official map locked in a disused basement lavatory with a sign saying "beware of jaguar" on the door.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Tennessee.

That lol is in the sense of crack-ping. Not "lol, disparaged minorities getting hosed" lol.

They also have a bill they want to name after Rittenhouse.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Tennessee is a loving weird state. A lot bigger than you’d think. Tennessee in general is MAGA country, but it’s real bad outside the blacker counties.

And lest we forget: Shelby County V. Holder came straight from Tennessee. (Shelby county is the Memphis area) It’s a loving awful state, politically.

But within my living memory I recall this being the State of Al Gore and big leaders in the civil rights movement before that (not so much my memory on the latter).

It’s been all downhill since the Clinton era. Again, politically.

It sucks that all the places I like geographically are filled with chuds. Maybe it’s because I grew up around chuds that I have the same taste.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The South is pretty much dead to me, despite growing up and spending the majority of my life there.

As I get older I've found I have less and less common with my fellow southerners. Though to be fair, I didn't like them much when I was younger either. The religiousness of the South always rubbed me the wrong way and I never enjoyed the standard redneck stuff like football and hunting.

I'll be living here in the Pacific Northwest until the day I die, much better quality of people out here.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It sucks that all the places I like geographically are filled with chuds. Maybe it’s because I grew up around chuds that I have the same taste.

The South and Appalachia are places of stunning physical and natural beauty but are inhabited by some of the worst people in the country.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Thwomp posted:

The South and Appalachia are places of stunning physical and natural beauty but are inhabited by some of the worst people in the country.

I feel the same way about much of Arizona and Utah. So many awful people living in some of the most incredible natural landscapes on the planet.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You could say that about literally everywhere. People ruin everything about the natural world, it's kind of our thing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's why I like the PNW, or at least western WA. You're surrounded by mountains, forests full of huge evergreens and the Puget Sound is probably my favorite body of water anywhere in the world. Watched sea lions from the beach this morning while I was eating breakfast.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's also nice that in Seattle if you express MAGA beliefs you're much more likely to be punched in the face than find a sympathic ear.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I spend a lot of time doing recreational activities in West Virginia and I'm head over heels in love with the geography of the state but man most of the people that live there can go gently caress themselves.

Meanwhile, NYT has a story about how the US-led coalition in Syria bombed the Taqba Dam in March 2017- despite it being on a "do not target" list- nearly causing it to fail. If that had happened, potentially tens of thousands of people could have been killed and the effects would have been apparent 100 miles downstream. It came so close to failing that ISIS, the Syrian Democratic Forces and the Syrian government agreed on a hasty truce to prevent the dam falling entirely. US SOF on the ground apparently called in the strikes on the dam itself for "terrain denial" and had a B-52 first drop airburst munitions, then hit the concrete structures on the dam (again prohibited due to the high risk of the dam failing) with three 2,000 lbs bombs. Whoopsie!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/us/airstrike-us-isis-dam.html

quote:

Less than 24 hours after the strikes, American-backed forces, Russian and Syrian officials and the Islamic State coordinated a pause in hostilities. A team of 16 workers — some from the Islamic State, some from the Syrian government, some from American allies — drove to the site, according to the engineer, who was with the group.

They worked furiously as the water rose. The distrust and tension were so thick that at points fighters shot into the air. They succeeded in repairing the crane, which eventually allowed the floodgates to open, saving the dam.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Western Washington is appealing to me, if only because there are more geological events that could kill me there. I want to plant my rear end between two volcanoes and wait for one top pop with a front row seat.

Maybe someday.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mustang posted:

That's why I like the PNW, or at least western WA. You're surrounded by mountains, forests full of huge evergreens and the Puget Sound is probably my favorite body of water anywhere in the world. Watched sea lions from the beach this morning while I was eating breakfast.

And there's a convenient mountain range between you and the chudly hill folk of the eastern half of the state!

If I had to move to the US Seattle would be my top choice. It's basically the same as Vancouver, just with the second amendment instead of universal healthcare. Super looking forward to visiting again in the spring.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mustang posted:

Have you pet a Sea Lion yet?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The PNW is one of two areas of the contiguous US I haven't driven through yet (The other being the upper NE), and I really want to go. I'd love to spend a whole month just driving and hiking around, and checking out some of the big air museums up there.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah it's both funny and convenient that there is a literal mountain range separating the liberal and conservative sides of WA. Western WA has like 90% of the scenic parts of the state, unless you're one of those weirdos that prefers deserts to trees.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

maffew buildings posted:

WOW the moral high ground for Democrats just gained another 10k feet with this TN news! Can't wait to donate to stop this kind of thing.
Jesus gently caress does your first reaction to anti-Semetic Christo-fascism really have to be whining about Democrats fundraising??

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

Yeah it's both funny and convenient that there is a literal mountain range separating the liberal and conservative sides of WA. Western WA has like 90% of the scenic parts of the state, unless you're one of those weirdos that prefers deserts to trees.

It is my professional opinion that both trees and deserts are Extremely Cool.

e: other cool places include mountains, canyons, lakes, and other large bodies of water

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 20, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Western Washington is appealing to me, if only because there are more geological events that could kill me there. I want to plant my rear end between two volcanoes and wait for one top pop with a front row seat.

Maybe someday.

Also Bigfoot!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Comparison pics of Tonga here:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/459912/safety-at-tonga-port-being-checked-for-arrival-of-more-humanitarian-supplies

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is my professional opinion that both trees and deserts are Extremely Cool.

e: other cool places include mountains, canyons, lakes, and other large bodies of water

Well, they can definitely be scenic but I can't stand the dust and dirt that gets into everything that comes with living in a desert.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cugel the Clever posted:

Jesus gently caress does your first reaction to anti-Semetic Christo-fascism really have to be whining about Democrats fundraising??

because the national party has zero desire to actually contest anything in red states and sees them just as a vehicle to fundraise with awful candidates like Amy McGrath and MJ Hegar who appeal to the PMC

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

because the national party has zero desire to actually contest anything in red states and sees them just as a vehicle to fundraise with awful candidates like Amy McGrath and MJ Hegar who appeal to the PMC

Yeah this is absolutely undeniable in the wake of making the guy who spent $100,000,000 losing to Lindsey Graham by 12 chair of the DNC. They're not even pretending anymore.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah this is absolutely undeniable in the wake of making the guy who spent $100,000,000 losing to Lindsey Graham by 12 chair of the DNC. They're not even pretending anymore.

It's almost like The Producers at this point.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
POTATOH THE HUMANITY

https://twitter.com/MSPPIO_NW/status/1484147503612190724?t=ZcKVpckC4aC0OwORHM_kog&s=19

https://www.kare11.com/article/traffic/i-94-eastbound-closed-albertville-potato-truck/89-047bdf96-7b69-4f5c-a2ac-aaaf870224ff

It's currently 1° in Minnesota, so the truck's potatoes froze and basically became caltrop boulders on the interstate :toot:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Holy loving poo poo

At what point do you just have to up and bring those people back with you as climate refugees? Without fresh water those people are completely reliant on outside help. At what point do these people realize their home is unfortunately not adequately habitable any longer?

On another note, at what point do we need to start building nuclear power plants to power massive desalinization plants because WE'RE going to run out of fresh water? Why the gently caress isn't anyone important or in power talking about this poo poo? Why the gently caress are we fighting about water in the western states when the federal government can create tens of thousands of jobs making nuke plants and desalination plants and make sure we have enough loving water, the literal lifeblood of humanity without which we're all going to loving die but cool cool cool lets just let corporations keep buying the rights to it we'll just all have to become loving moisture farmers won't we?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

On another note, at what point do we need to start building nuclear power plants to power massive desalinization plants because WE'RE going to run out of fresh water?

Given the average budget and schedule overrun on nuclear plant construction... Uh, maybe a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy loving poo poo

At what point do you just have to up and bring those people back with you as climate refugees? Without fresh water those people are completely reliant on outside help. At what point do these people realize their home is unfortunately not adequately habitable any longer?

On another note, at what point do we need to start building nuclear power plants to power massive desalinization plants because WE'RE going to run out of fresh water? Why the gently caress isn't anyone important or in power talking about this poo poo? Why the gently caress are we fighting about water in the western states when the federal government can create tens of thousands of jobs making nuke plants and desalination plants and make sure we have enough loving water, the literal lifeblood of humanity without which we're all going to loving die but cool cool cool lets just let corporations keep buying the rights to it we'll just all have to become loving moisture farmers won't we?

There was a documentary about this from the 90's called Tank Girl.