Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Its already about child slaves prodigy has plenty of dark elements in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry, what's lazy about that scene exactly?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sorry, what's lazy about that scene exactly?

I mean unchanged voice codes maybe but that's not so much lazy as consistent with the rest of Trek

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I mean unchanged voice codes maybe but that's not so much lazy as consistent with the rest of Trek

If that’s all it takes to be considered lazy then TNG was a godawful piece of slop written by a cabal of hacks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

If that’s all it takes to be considered lazy then TNG was a godawful piece of slop written by a cabal of hacks.

https://i.imgur.com/dgZ2eak.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the Protostar was sitting abandoned in a mine shaft in Tars Lamora for [timefuckery] years before the kids found it. No one had the time, ability, authority or knowledge to disable Chakotay’s command codes. The Diviner and Drednokk clearly tortured the codes out of him or otherwise acquired them when they took Chakotay and his crew captive.

This is lazy writing… how?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Lipsync is still off. Otherwise... yeah decent episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the Protostar was sitting abandoned in a mine shaft in Tars Lamora for [timefuckery] years before the kids found it. No one had the time, ability, authority or knowledge to disable Chakotay’s command codes. The Diviner and Drednokk clearly tortured the codes out of him or otherwise acquired them when they took Chakotay and his crew captive.

This is lazy writing… how?

I mean in theory Janeway maybe could have if she reported to the ship's computer that the captain was killed/captured

Who knows, none of this makes a lot of sense from that perspective but security on starships has always been lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Bloop posted:

I mean in theory Janeway maybe could have if she reported to the ship's computer that the captain was killed/captured

Who knows, none of this makes a lot of sense from that perspective but security on starships has always been lol

Anytime Worf offers a suggestion that might improve security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's more just basic policy stuff like the ship knows the first officer vanished and doesn't tell anyone unless they ask

space HIPPA is no joke

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

this episode reminded me of a sci-fi book I read as a kid called singularity. One of the major plot points of that involves things dying when inside a building because of time dilation and the whole "how long was Rok alone?" brought me right back to that book and man, I think it's time to bring out the EMH for some therapy sessions :therapy:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

…It’s a kids show. The gently caress are you expecting from it, Dostoyevski?

Yes. :colbert:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 20, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HoloJaneway said her memory files have been tampered with. She didn't even seem to know Chakotay was the Captain of the Protostar until she saw that holo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am warming up to Prodigy, the cast isn't driving me nuts anymore, well, Dal isn't. Also, I know its only the 7th episode, but they keep adding more and more mysteries into the show and not answering ANYTHING. Give us some log they find that gives a basic idea of what the ships original mission was or something.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tiberius Christ posted:

The borg took all the good species in the delta quadrant so all voyager had to visit were the leftovers

8one6 posted:

I vaguely remember someone pitching the delta quadrant as almost post-apocalyptic because any time the borg detected anything interesting they'd just show up and take it.

This, plus some the great ideas above going off on that makes me hate Voyager even more. Thanks.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Can I also just say that it's very funny to me that the Trek show with an evil killer shapeshifting robot named Drednokk somehow still manages to be more of a Trek show than Discovery

I don't know if it's more hilarious or infuriating that the cartoon adult comedy and the animated kids' show are mopping up the floorswabbing the deck with disco and picard.

E: SNW turning out awesome wouldn't make up for it but it'd sure help.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
loving lol that anyone hears Chakotay's voice and codes coming out of murderbot's mouth and thinks that's lazy rather than hinting at a whole horrible history behind what happened to the ship and its crew.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I know its only the 7th episode, but they keep adding more and more mysteries into the show and not answering ANYTHING.

No, just the one mystery - why is the Protostar so important to the Diviner?

Everything else in the show feeds into that one core mystery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving lol that anyone hears Chakotay's voice and codes coming out of murderbot's mouth and thinks that's lazy rather than hinting at a whole horrible history behind what happened to the ship and its crew.

TVIV sucks at watching TV, what else is new? :v:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, just the one mystery - why is the Protostar so important to the Diviner?

Everything else in the show feeds into that one core mystery.

Thanks. I wasn't gonna say anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I am warming up to Prodigy, the cast isn't driving me nuts anymore, well, Dal isn't.

He's not as bad anymore but it is becoming funny how the narrative is driving him as leader when every episode is making it more obvious to both the audience and all the characters that Gwyn is vastly better at both leading and decision-making.

I guess she's too freshly not-evil to be placed as leader but this is Star Trek it's not like that's stopped anyone before.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Prodigy might be my favorite Trek thing since DS9. I know that's not super high praise, though I kind of did enjoy that one reboot movie.

I've begun to wonder whether General Grievous has worked for the Diviner all this time or served someone else initially but needed a new patsy after the time jump.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Prodigy might be my favorite Trek thing since DS9. I know that's not super high praise, though I kind of did enjoy that one reboot movie.

I've begun to wonder whether General Grievous has worked for the Diviner all this time or served someone else initially but needed a new patsy after the time jump.

Yeah, Drednok’s bigass evil face is in the opening credits and the Diviner’s isn’t for some reason :thunk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also - does this mean there are now two murderbots?

He got on-board via replicator, not transporter.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also - does this mean there are now two murderbots?

He got on-board via replicator, not transporter.

Three, at least

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You're right. One back with the Diviner, one blown out the airlock and part of one still in the ship.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My lazy writing comment was about the show as a whole, I hadn't seen that episode when I made it.

That was a good episode, the best of the series. It all tied together, no bits where you go "Wait, what?". The first actually good prodigy!

And again I'm not saying the show is BAD just that it often has ridiculous bits in. Like Jankem making a big deal of wearing an environmental suit then getting gassed with no comment being made on it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That was just an excuse to have a bunch of gas clouds with fart noises in them

It is a kid's show at the end of the day

Also: re the Drednokks, I have to assume the one that got spaced won't come up again, and the one they'll have to deal with is the partially-assembled one.
Though since they seem to have control of the ship again, they'd notice if the vehicle replicator was acting up again, so my guess is the partially-assembled Drednokks is gonna hide out on the ship and pass intel to the original/Diviner.

It'd be funny if an episode's plot is "track where on the ship this anomalous subspace broadcast is coming from" and they bust into a Jeffries tube just in time to see Murf burp up a Drednokk eye

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
By the end of the season they will have uniforms

Murph will be captain

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hell I expect them to have uniforms by the end of S1

Acting Cadets of course which means Wesley-style gray-with-rainbow uniforms

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hell I expect them to have uniforms by the end of S1

Acting Cadets of course which means Wesley-style gray-with-rainbow uniforms

I wanna see a costume designer make that outfit work in a modern Trek, sometime

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want them to somehow stick Chakotay’s backstory for Prodigy into Lower Decks. Give me more series cross-contamination, dammit!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Picard Trailer with Guinan, Q, and Spiner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuddrlFajs&t=2s

goddamn you for pushing my nostalgia buttons again you jerks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Looks like complete bollocks.

Probably still going to watch it though

...drat it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'll be happy to catch up on Picard once Lower Decks is back, but there's no way in hell I'm subbing to watch it week to week.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nice to see Guinan but whew boy that's not looking great

Caught a quick cut of Q handing a vial of blue liquid to 21st-century Soong, bet that's gonna be a big facepalm of a plotline

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
looking like Agents of SHIELD icer bullets

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not hopeful that it's going to be actually good, but I am hopeful that it'll be coherent and that there will be a string of feel-good nostalgia scenes that make it just about worthwhile.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I liked Picard Season 1 and will probably like Picard season 2, there I said it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alchenar posted:

I'm not hopefully that it's going to be actually good, but I am hopeful that it'll be coherent and that there will be a string of feel-good nostalgia scenes that make it just about worthwhile.

Same. I can watch De Lancie chew scenery all day. Wonder how much Q is in it.

I didn't hate Picard as much as everyone else seems to but it definitely was a case of some good scenes scattered around a mess that never came together. It wouldn't take much for season 2 to be better.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Alchenar posted:

I'm not hopefully that it's going to be actually good, but I am hopeful that it'll be coherent and that there will be a string of feel-good nostalgia scenes that make it just about worthwhile.

Yup this. Looking forward to it for this even though I don't hope for much else.

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. I can watch De Lancie chew scenery all day. Wonder how much Q is in it.

I didn't hate Picard as much as everyone else seems to but it definitely was a case of some good scenes scattered around a mess that never came together. It wouldn't take much for season 2 to be better.

Yes, I love Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is clearly me being an old woman but I just hate how the lighting is and how cold and crisp every image feels. It's sterile and offputting.