Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

How do Verizon employees not get free coverage or something?

I get 50% off (and a free work cell / plan), I’m just on a grandfathered unlimited plan and with my discount it’s just way cheaper than the current plans.

If I want to, I can add UW for $5 a month for my line, which I might end up doing for a few months.

waffle iron posted:

I can almost think of it as some kind of unfunded mandate from the federal government, but they've known spectrum reclamation and auction was coming for more than 5 years.

Yeah, I think airlines just decided they didn’t want to do anything and are now mad seeing the consequences of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I live out in the boons. Only one bar of LTE for me even still today. Thank goodness for Wi-Fi calling.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, the my Verizon app is pushing the ultra on me. It looks like the same price, $40 with my Verizon Visa auto pay.

Does that sound right?

I see the biggest benefit as the bump up to 50GB on the hotspot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, the my Verizon app is pushing the ultra on me. It looks like the same price, $40 with my Verizon Visa auto pay.

Does that sound right?

I see the biggest benefit as the bump up to 50GB on the hotspot.

Yeah, the Do , Play , get and start plans are all the same price as before, but with legit extra stuff, so it’s like “might as well auto upgrade.”

Fyi Do and Get More accumulate 12 travel passes a year (1 a month), so if you’re traveling overseas (Covid so I lol I know) you could get a week of free service for said line with that in theory.

Also, Get More is now 100% premium data no caps. Play and Do are still 50GB premium data, but there’s no slow downs on Get More.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Noice. Time to push some buttons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, the Do , Play , get and start plans are all the same price as before, but with legit extra stuff, so it’s like “might as well auto upgrade.”

Fyi Do and Get More accumulate 12 travel passes a year (1 a month), so if you’re traveling overseas (Covid so I lol I know) you could get a week of free service for said line with that in theory.

Also, Get More is now 100% premium data no caps. Play and Do are still 50GB premium data, but there’s no slow downs on Get More.
I’m on Do More right now. I don’t use the cloud storage but the free subscription on Play More doesn’t really matter since I’m already on a friend’s Disney+ bundle.

If I understand correctly, there’s no difference in upgrading to the Ultra plan except I gain the travel pass? I keep my FIOS bundle discount and it doesn’t mess with my trade-in credit?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m on Do More right now. I don’t use the cloud storage but the free subscription on Play More doesn’t really matter since I’m already on a friend’s Disney+ bundle.

If I understand correctly, there’s no difference in upgrading to the Ultra plan except I gain the travel pass? I keep my FIOS bundle discount and it doesn’t mess with my trade-in credit?

Correct.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
So my own voicemail just called me to say my account was suspended.

I assume this was spam but the fact it was my own voicemail is really weird. It comes up in my call history as voicemail and dails to it when I select it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Digital Jedi posted:

So my own voicemail just called me to say my account was suspended.

I assume this was spam but the fact it was my own voicemail is really weird. It comes up in my call history as voicemail and dails to it when I select it.

Uh, I'd confirm with logging into the VZW website. Sounds like a scam - they can spoof *86.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah. Scam callers are getting more sophisticated. See the mention I have in this thread from a few months ago. They were somehow able to drop a 57 second vm in my box with just a single ring call, but the number from the call and vm were different.

VZW said they couldn't do anything but sign me up for call screening for $7/mo. I declined and dealt with it for a while, then they stopped. Assuming the backdoor that allowed that was shut.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not to be overly negative but I haven't had good luck with paid Verizon's Call Filter app.

Part of the issue is the scammers are moving faster than the technology. Part of the problem is Call Filter app for Android was built several Android releases ago and has been band-aided along.

It's better than nothing but not great.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I checked VZW's site and my account is perfectly fine. I figured it was a scam once the voice staying talking about pressing 1 to prevent my account be suspended crap.

I've just never seen or knew they could spoof my own voicemail to display as calling. It bypass google's spam filter and caller id not only says voicemail but lists my own cell number as the number received. And it's typically pretty good plus with the call screen function I rarely even now I get them.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Chances are they spoofed your own number and your phone is masking it as Voicemail. You can dial your own number to access voicemail on most carriers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that’s 100% a spoofer. It’s def a cat and mouse thing, they’re very good at what they do unfortunately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Since you asked, I found a pocket of 5G UW at the gas station.

Walking from one side of my car to the other was enough to go from 5G UW to LTE lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have the same problems. If I have UW it is extremely fast great job Verizon so impressive wow

but 95% of the time I don’t have anything more than LTE, and it’s basically half a block of UW if I even get it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for that big long effortpost about the different flavors of 5G. It definitely helped clear things up!

Even after turning on the new network, I still don't have 5GUW in my apartment, just vanilla 5G. But I also live less than 2 miles from a major airport, so it's possible they haven't turned it on in my area yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for that big long effortpost about the different flavors of 5G. It definitely helped clear things up!

Even after turning on the new network, I still don't have 5GUW in my apartment, just vanilla 5G. But I also live less than 2 miles from a major airport, so it's possible they haven't turned it on in my area yet.

Lol if you are literally under 2 miles from an airport you are in the very unlucky set that probably won’t get UW for like, years. They’ll fight that one for a long time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So my new favorite thing is the text spam for insurance from SBA and Realtors.

I have hundreds of them. All from different numbers.

Spammers can die in the slowest most painful way possible.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jokes posted:

I have the same problems. If I have UW it is extremely fast great job Verizon so impressive wow

but 95% of the time I don’t have anything more than LTE, and it’s basically half a block of UW if I even get it.

There's a spot on a local McDonald's drive-thru where in about a six foot radius I can get 5GUW, then if I move one inch outside that space, I lose it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am getting spam texts like crazy. The phone calls are a regular thing but I am currently getting 8 or so spam texts a day now.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I want to know who Marcellous is. I get about 8 of his text messages a day.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol if you are literally under 2 miles from an airport you are in the very unlucky set that probably won’t get UW for like, years. They’ll fight that one for a long time.

I get 5GUW just fine when I’m outside, but I assume that just means the “doesn’t penetrate walls” flavor of 5G is also the “doesn’t gently caress with airplanes” flavor

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I live just under 2 miles away from a Regional Airport. I'm still getting 4G.
What's the best way to find out if I'm being affected by the Airport proximity or now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

I live just under 2 miles away from a Regional Airport. I'm still getting 4G.
What's the best way to find out if I'm being affected by the Airport proximity or now?

Not joking, drive away from the airport to see if it kicks in in a few miles.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Cross posting because we are on Verizon. My wife just saw she had cracked the back glass on her iPhone 12 Pro that we were about to do her yearly trade in for. What’s my best step here?

Apple says the repair is like 550, which is more then we owe on the phone. Will a trade in still work if you do a 3rd party repair? Or make a claim with my Verizon insurance?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Cross posting because we are on Verizon. My wife just saw she had cracked the back glass on her iPhone 12 Pro that we were about to do her yearly trade in for. What’s my best step here?

Apple says the repair is like 550, which is more then we owe on the phone. Will a trade in still work if you do a 3rd party repair? Or make a claim with my Verizon insurance?

Verizon insurance is $229 for the repair, they’ll just replace the whole thing.

Trade in won’t work without buying out the phone, and even then a trade in is something like $440, so only do that if she really wants to upgrade.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not joking, drive away from the airport to see if it kicks in in a few miles.

:catstare:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I mean, they’re not gonna show exactly where the line is for something like that is my logic ?

For the record, this is something I’ve been guilty of brushing aside a bit. IMO, the coverage map for all the carriers is gonna be rosy and just coverage unless you’re in a pretty remote area. They’re more specific for 5G UW, but it’s because it kind of demands it with its short reach. I don’t know yet how accurate they’ll be with C Band.

I am very guilty of telling a customer the only way to know about coverage, at the end of the day, is to drive around and see, and my one friend still makes fun of me for it to this day.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon insurance is $229 for the repair, they’ll just replace the whole thing.

Trade in won’t work without buying out the phone, and even then a trade in is something like $440, so only do that if she really wants to upgrade.

Thanks for the fast reply. I used the wrong term I think. I’m not looking to trade it in for money, just do the thing where I give it back to Verizon and restart the 2 year loan on a new phone. So I am looking for the cheapest way to make the phone eligible to give it back to Verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks for the fast reply. I used the wrong term I think. I’m not looking to trade it in for money, just do the thing where I give it back to Verizon and restart the 2 year loan on a new phone. So I am looking for the cheapest way to make the phone eligible to give it back to Verizon.

Totally. Unfortunately you have to repair it for that, has to be no cracks or damage for the yearly trade in.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The Verizon app is trying to tell me I should switch from "Get More Unlimited 5G UW" to "5G Get More". The new plan allegedly includes Apple Music, but at the end of the plan change flow there's a dire warning about how I'll now be billed :10bux: for that. Is this just a weird quirk of the billing system or does that new plan actually no longer include Apple Music?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The Verizon app is trying to tell me I should switch from "Get More Unlimited 5G UW" to "5G Get More". The new plan allegedly includes Apple Music, but at the end of the plan change flow there's a dire warning about how I'll now be billed :10bux: for that. Is this just a weird quirk of the billing system or does that new plan actually no longer include Apple Music?

Both plans have free Apple Music , I think it’s a weird quirk.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Is the 5G UW home plan good enough for family of 4 usage: ie video calls during the day and 3-4 devices surfing and streaming at night?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Verizon 5G UW is pretty fuckin pro

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Os Furoris posted:

Is the 5G UW home plan good enough for family of 4 usage: ie video calls during the day and 3-4 devices surfing and streaming at night?

It’s 80-300mb average speeds , but can be up to 1000. Overall the answer to this is yes.

If you want me to help you with any options, etc, let me know here or PM me.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My partner and I want to get iphone 13s pro maxs (or one pro and one max haven't decided yet). Looks like we can still get $800 in trade in for both my Note 9 and her iphone xr. What's our best bet with the two current promos going on (buy one get 1000 off other vs 800 for each of our trade ins) and is it better to be on the same plan vs two separate lines? Looks like i can also get a mastercard gift card after switching (switch22 promo code)? Seems all too good to be true?

It seems like trading in our phone for whatever iphone we want and then having both of our lines on the same account is the best course, but I'm looking for confirmation I understand this right. I haven't shopped for a new phone plan in almost a decade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

My partner and I want to get iphone 13s pro maxs (or one pro and one max haven't decided yet). Looks like we can still get $800 in trade in for both my Note 9 and her iphone xr. What's our best bet with the two current promos going on (buy one get 1000 off other vs 800 for each of our trade ins) and is it better to be on the same plan vs two separate lines? Looks like i can also get a mastercard gift card after switching (switch22 promo code)? Seems all too good to be true?

It seems like trading in our phone for whatever iphone we want and then having both of our lines on the same account is the best course, but I'm looking for confirmation I understand this right. I haven't shopped for a new phone plan in almost a decade.

I can help with this.

Ok, I assume neither of you have Verizon.

Because you don’t have Verizon, you can indeed get $800 on each of your phones. This is better than the BOGO for sure, because you get 2 $800 credits instead of one. BOGO is basically there because some people have really old phones, etc.

Bad news: gift card is not a switcher promo, it’s a buyout promo. Which means you only get reimbursed for any balance owed (like if you owed $400 it’s a $400 gift card). I assume your phones are paid off, so unfortunately nothing on this part.

You will save being on the same account. 2 lines on Verizon, with autopay with debit card, is $70 + $70 = $140. You get unlimited data, 50GB priority data (other people get slowed down before you do), 25GB mobile hotspot, and free Disney+ bundle.

The phones are discounted over 24 months. As an example, the Pro Max 128GB is $1000. You pay $200 after trade in, which is $8.33 over 24 months. In most states you pay the sales tax of the retail cost of the phones up front, and there’s a setup fee of $35 a line on the bill.

Fyi, if you want me to help you order the phones I next work Sunday. I work in the sales center, so I can literally call you (then or whatever day works) and help you order the phones. PM me for details if you want my help there.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the details Duckman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I have an ancient New Verizon 12gb Plan with a galaxy 8 and 10 that are both eligible for upgrade/tradein.

I don't pay enough attention to this stuff, should I be upgrading my plan and phones? Like sure the phones are older but is there a downside to not upgrading?