Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show feels so thouroughly unique and fresh so far. The dance number sets the tone immediately, this project was someones creative playground.

Closest I can think of was BrainDead.

EDIT: If anyone missed Braindead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHPojrlDD0

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1484588610062008327?s=20

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I don't get this reference BUT I am irrationally furious that they don't allude to the supposedly human Peacemaker constantly working out and eating like John Cena.

Bodybuilders unsuccessfully count the days in a week.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How could you not link the video you monster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

How could you not link the video you monster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Huh. I somehow managed to never have seen that.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

incredibly fun show

I keep wondering if Rick Flagg is going to show up as a government zombie or something and pop Peacemaker in the head in the last episode after they’re done with the black op

or if James Gunn really likes showing that clip of Peacemaker stabbing him for emotional turmoil context

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

wolfs posted:

or if James Gunn really likes showing that clip of Peacemaker stabbing him for emotional turmoil context

I would love it if Flag showed back up, but I don't mind seeing that clip again and again because its such a good line read. peacemaker... what a joke

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wow, I am simultaneously burdened by the new knowledge of this bodybuilding-dot-com debacle, its fame (Jon fuckin' Bois?), and do agree that it is a conversation Peacemaker and Vigilante might have.

Thanks?

wolfs posted:

I keep wondering if Rick Flagg is going to show up as a government zombie or something and pop Peacemaker in the head in the last episode after they’re done with the black op

The constant referring back to this and "I don't care how many men, women and children I have to kill to get [peace]" - both of which were decent moments in the movie, but odd to revisit - does throw me. I don't know if they're going to pay either off, or if Gunn's just weirdly proud of them and thinks they were bigger than they were.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I mean, the entire show is about "paying off" the men, women and children by exploring what that means for Peacemaker and him actually reckoning with the consequences of that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That line by Flag really hit him, and I think that combined with killing Flag really got to Peacemaker. It was a really good moment, and I didn't care for much of that movie.

I do hope Flag somehow returns though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Anyone else holding out hope that the untrustworthy janitor who went to MIT will make a return? I'm so happy every time I see him in the opening dance number :allears:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I would love it if Flag showed back up, but I don't mind seeing that clip again and again because its such a good line read. peacemaker... what a joke

Every time it cuts to that I'm reminded that Peacemaker was the Charlton character The Comedian was based on in Watchmen, and it makes me want to see doofy Gunn versions of the other ones show up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One thought I had is that if they wanted to do the whole haunted helmet thing, they could have Flagg haunting it. I would definitely prefer if he actually came back, though.

EDIT: I liked The Suicide Squad but I was really sad that Peacemaker killed Flagg. I do like how last episode connected that to the first time he killed someone. I thought that was a neat bit of character development

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 22, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

"This is Peacemaker. I would advise not getting killed by him - his helmet traps the souls of his victims."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I don't get this reference BUT I am irrationally furious that they don't allude to the supposedly human Peacemaker constantly working out and eating like John Cena.

It's referring to the show's penchant for dropping everything so the characters can stand around and have inane arguments about ducks in human suits or how much you really need your little toe. Basically lol random monkey cheese, but the actors are all charismatic enough so it still works :cool:

PunkBoy posted:

One thought I had is that if they wanted to do the whole haunted helmet thing, they could have Flagg haunting it. I would definitely prefer if he actually came back, though.

Looks like ~somebody~ didn't watch through the credits for TSS :wink:

e:
I just doublechecked, I could have sworn it was Flagg in the post credits hospital scene but it's Cena. Someone didn't pay attention to that scene, and it was me. Now the Flagg/ghost comments make a lot more sense :negative:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 22, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Anyone else holding out hope that the untrustworthy janitor who went to MIT will make a return? I'm so happy every time I see him in the opening dance number :allears:

I assumed he was gonna be their tech guy but Economist is filling that role. He might still get roped in to do more equipment based technical work rather than computer-based stuff though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robot Style posted:

"This is Peacemaker. He stabbed my chest. I would advise not getting killed by him - his helmet traps the souls of his victims."

There, that's better.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
As it's been said many times already: the opening intro slaps so hard. Like, I appreciated it before but I just got home and took a bong hit to the brain and watched the intro sequence five times.

I always skip show intros after the first. This really might be the first show where I watch it every time, not to mention even when I'm not watching it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I also like in the opening that the actors aren't always completely in sync. It really drives home that they aren't professional dancers and just doing this because it's silly and funny as hell.

Like how Gunn got the Guardians cast to be in that music video complete with Hasselhoff.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The intro is a great metaphor for the world of the show. A bunch of tacky amateurs acting foolish in a completely earnest, po-faced manner. The eagle acting like it didn’t hit its mark right is the cherry on top.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 22, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That little shuffle to get onto its mark is the best :3:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that could have made it better would be if they had enough coverage to cut together 8 different takes. Not even anything major, just every cut has a couple of extra scenes with a different cast member or something. As it is now I just have to manually focus on a different person every episode like a peasant :(

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Yeah, the eagle at the end of the opening is the best. I'm always giggling at it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Opening credits choreography video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvszWqbwfyA

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Grimdude posted:

As it's been said many times already: the opening intro slaps so hard. Like, I appreciated it before but I just got home and took a bong hit to the brain and watched the intro sequence five times.

I always skip show intros after the first. This really might be the first show where I watch it every time, not to mention even when I'm not watching it.

exact same. i think it might just be the perfect song for it

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

Pure Joy

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Takes No Damage posted:

The only thing that could have made it better would be if they had enough coverage to cut together 8 different takes. Not even anything major, just every cut has a couple of extra scenes with a different cast member or something. As it is now I just have to manually focus on a different person every episode like a peasant :(

Yeah, just using slightly different dancing takes for each part of it on every episode would be a lot of fun. Or have each intro be mostly the same, but each time there's one part of the dance that someone completely biffs it or is way off and you get to try to spot that each time.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Hah, I noticed that Holland was wearing the same shirt that Rick Flagg wore in The Suicide Squad. Also I just realized that the rabbit (mouse?) figurine on Vigilante's car dashboard is the same mascot as well.

EDIT: Oh, the rabbit/mouse is apparently a James Gunn thing?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 22, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, just using slightly different dancing takes for each part of it on every episode would be a lot of fun. Or have each intro be mostly the same, but each time there's one part of the dance that someone completely biffs it or is way off and you get to try to spot that each time.

The easiest way would be to have Eagly do something different each time or have something else in its place like a Butterfly

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MiddleOne posted:

The show feels so thouroughly unique and fresh so far. The dance number sets the tone immediately, this project was someones creative playground.

Closest I can think of was BrainDead.

EDIT: If anyone missed Braindead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHPojrlDD0

I had completely forgotten about Braindead. I wish there were more random mini series like that on tv.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I had completely forgotten about Braindead. I wish there were more random mini series like that on tv.

You should probably check out Evil if you liked BrainDead. Starts out slower, goes just as crazy. Same people behind it.

Or The Bite; again, same people, and it's a miniseries.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

You should probably check out Evil if you liked BrainDead. Starts out slower, goes just as crazy. Same people behind it.

Or The Bite; again, same people, and it's a miniseries.

Evil is great, but I didn't love when the goat head demon was introduced as just a real thing, I preferred the early episodes when the demonic influence was very present but ambiguous

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

exact same. i think it might just be the perfect song for it

Exact same and I normally skip intros after the first time. I normally don’t repeat it again unless it really slaps and that’s only the first and last intro. I watch the dance number every freakin ep. Every ep so far I find someone that makes me laugh. Harcourt’s jig is stiff and awkward but super aggressive like this buff dude that used to go to a London goth club that always made me giggle a few years back. Like an angry robot baby. Dude really loved Ladytron.

Whole cast is great but Vigilante has been the biggest surprise. His speech to the nazis had me dying. He may be a sociopath but he’s not that much of a douche. Still shocked Cena is THIS good at comedy. Can we just let Taika and Gunn do more shows?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I personally find his dancing and crying and cry-dancing more impressive. He's selling the "abused/neglected boy" good enough that I don't want to see him kill anyone again. In fact that'd be pretty ballsy.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

DogsInSpace! posted:

Whole cast is great but Vigilante has been the biggest surprise. His speech to the nazis had me dying. He may be a sociopath but he’s not that much of a douche.

You put your finger on why I find his relationship with Peacemaker so funny: Peacemaker is a douche, but he either is no longer or never truly was the psychopathic killer he tried to be; meanwhile Vigilante definitely has something broken in his brain, but his chipper friendliness is earnest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DogsInSpace! posted:

Exact same and I normally skip intros after the first time. I normally don’t repeat it again unless it really slaps and that’s only the first and last intro. I watch the dance number every freakin ep. Every ep so far I find someone that makes me laugh. Harcourt’s jig is stiff and awkward but super aggressive like this buff dude that used to go to a London goth club that always made me giggle a few years back. Like an angry robot baby. Dude really loved Ladytron.

Whole cast is great but Vigilante has been the biggest surprise. His speech to the nazis had me dying. He may be a sociopath but he’s not that much of a douche. Still shocked Cena is THIS good at comedy. Can we just let Taika and Gunn do more shows?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Vigilante is enjoying himself in the dance intro too. His moves seem more exaggerated and less stiff than everyone else. A neat detail if intended(or if I am not just seeing things I want to see).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It might be as simple a matter as we can't see Vigilante's face so he seems more energetic and excited, since everybody else is so blank-faced.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It might be as simple a matter as we can't see Vigilante's face so he seems more energetic and excited, since everybody else is so blank-faced.

Judomaster looks just as energetic, so that may be it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Harcourt's actress was a gymnast and is actually the best dancer of the group, and everyone behind her is actually watching her for timing and prompts. But because she's wearing heels her footwork gets really hosed up and stompy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grimdude posted:

Gunn said this was the whole point! He was tired of how every show with a "skip intro" button immediately gets its intro skipped so nobody sees any of the credits. So he decided to make an intro that would be watched every single time.

I feel the same about Doom Patrol. The awesome song and visuals are more atmospheric than many whole TV shows.