Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Alctel posted:

Superhot if you don't have it already

Also a great game for newbies to show off your new headset

The steam version of Superhot VR is currently on sale for :10bux: on the humble store.

___

Can anyone confirm if the PC gamepass version of Hitman 3 works with VR? I don't really want to install the 100 gigs or whatever only to find out it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It does, but you have to load it up first then select VR on the main menu; you can do that from within VR itself so it isn't too painful.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, the cutscene screen starts out in a sane position, like around eye height, but every time after the first it's down in the floor and there's no way to reset it that I can see.

Clicking the left stick to reset your view in game works the same way during a cutscene.

I haven't played Hitman since Blood Money but bought H3 today on Steam to play in VR. It.... owns?? It's insanely janky but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. It's taking some getting used to but I can already feel myself developing an understanding of how to, like, navigate around the jank while still accomplishing objectives and having fun. Maybe this is how Star Citizen players feel....

I'm at the 90 min mark so I can still refund it if I want to, but I'm inclined to just hold out and hope a future hotfix at least improves the shooting mechanics. I don't really have any interest in playing it flat. I just want to walk around beautiful locales and murk ppl tbh

The Walrus posted:

Does hitman have a mod community? The basic VR implementation is pretty good - even if they literally just made 47 invisible other than hands kt would be a massive improvement.

Who do I pay to make this happen

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 22, 2022

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally got my WidmoVR lenses, and it is a revelation not having my glasses push up against my face and it doesn't look like the lenses fogging up would be as big as a problem, at least so far.

Also, the covers they include finally allow me to not worry if the headset is pointed toward a window or not.

From a couple days ago, but I just got mine as well. Was a bit leery about getting lens from Europe, but I just tried them out and it is so nice not having to wedge my big rear end glasses into the headset or wearing my contacts even longer.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I can only speak for the PSVR version of Hitman 3, but at least there if you squeeze the right trigger partially instead of all the way you get a red light cone to help with aiming, and it switches to a laser sight if you go a little bit further than that. Kind of tricky to manage when things get hectic, but it really helps when you need to land a stealthy shot.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

BabyRyoga posted:

Lookup "Claw Grip". Not sure if it's even possible to do harder songs while holding the controllers the normal way.

It absolutely is, up until a couple of weeks ago the #3 ranked player globally played on a quest 2 with default grip and default offsets. He's since changed his controller offsets slightly but still just uses default grip. There's nothing intrisically wrong with it but if you have super sweaty hands like I do then claw grip is definitely easier to hold onto as you've got your fingers going over the top of the controller which stops it sliding out of your hand. You need to put some tape or something along the top edge of the tracking ring though because it's pretty sharp.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I got Netflix and Prime Video both working and neither of them has any 3d content. I mean Prime has one (1) piece of content, and it's some kind of VR experience of that show The Loop. Ok show I guess, bailed after a few episodes, whatever. So yeah, totally bereft.

I was hoping at least Amazon would have the kind of movie content you'd get in the theater with the glasses. Pretty decent stereoscopic stuff of things that were filmed in 3d like Avatar, or converted in post-production.

Netflix says they don't offer 3d tv support anymore, though they used to. So now that VR is becoming a thing for real, seemingly, should we hope for that kind of content to come over, or is it too costly/laborious to do it? Maybe it's too costly for streaming? I'm pretty sure some new movies in the theater are being shown in 3D. I didn't check, but it sounds like you can rent them on Prime. What's the deal? :jerry:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's the same thing as with 4K, they want you to fork out 40 dollars for a blu ray edition (which cannot be played on PC without ripping them or using an approved player).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think there are some apps where you can rent 3d movies, pretty sure bigscreen does

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Tip posted:

I think there are some apps where you can rent 3d movies, pretty sure bigscreen does

It does. You can also hop in people's public rooms showing 3D movies and watch them that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Playing a bit of Hitman III and hoo-boy can you tell this was a PSVR game with minimal changes.
  • The menu's clearly built for a gamepad when they should've built off their PC interface with a cursor. Grip is not an acceptable button choice with an Index controller.

• I haven't played it on PSVR, but I think the cutscene placement is built for a seated experience, where you just look down to watch and back up to play.

• The sniping system can be fixed in about five minute with a render texture on the scope instead of this full-screen thing that's clearly built around holding a gamepad.

• Force-crouching to drag a body is just... no. If you want people to crouch, tell the player they HAVE to crouch to grab and drag, and just release the grip if they exit the crouch state.

• The firearm IK is just woeful and was clearly intended to track a gamepad aiming straight ahead. They get halfway with being able to grab the foregrip on longarms, but need to realize you need to bring that grip into managing the firearm as well.

What's frustrating is you could fix all this in about the span of an afternoon. I could do this myself if this was built in Unity. (The last one looks complex, but I'm relatively-certain I could fudge it with a LookAt constraint without needing to dip into the Big Boy VRIK stuff; Look at left hand from the right hand, now the left hand pivots the gun!)

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

EbolaIvory posted:

Double check your floor but unless its scuffed its probably just you. Not like, trying to be a dick but upswings tend to be harder than downswings in general and you dont need "wide" swings to 110 or we wouldn't be 90%ing maps in the 500+ PP range.

You're just missing the entry/exit/cut somewhere. If you're ultra anal about it, record some stabilized headset footage and watch it. Or, just keep playing and itll get better.

Again I'm really not trying to be a dick about it but it just sounds like to me you're not there yet at the level of maps you're playing. And swapping platforms and or controllers and or grips fucks with me for quite a while on ACC.

Days later but you're right - I wanted to try it before I went "NUH UH IM GREAT IT"S THE COULUS THAT SUCKS." My upswing had a bunch of motion, but not much angle change, like I was picking up something heavy, and that's the issue. My down swings were more of a twirl and that's why scored better. The oculus didn't have anything to do with it.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is there any reason I need to be logged into my Oculus/Facebook account on my Quest 2 when I pretty much exclusively use it for PC games over Oculus Link? I've done a bit of a password audit recently and it's asking me to log into my Facebook/Oculus account. The passwords are 64 character monstrosities, and I don't think there's a way I can copy paste them.

Everything seems to be working fine from an Oculus Link side of things, just wondering if I'm going to run into issues down the line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can't connect through Link or do anything else unless you're logged in on the headset.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's owned by facebook and they want to track everything you do. That's the deal

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

fuckpot posted:

Is there any reason I need to be logged into my Oculus/Facebook account on my Quest 2 when I pretty much exclusively use it for PC games over Oculus Link? I've done a bit of a password audit recently and it's asking me to log into my Facebook/Oculus account. The passwords are 64 character monstrosities, and I don't think there's a way I can copy paste them.

Everything seems to be working fine from an Oculus Link side of things, just wondering if I'm going to run into issues down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rERApU26PcA is this you?

Just log in and turn everything to private and youll never have to login again or mess with any of the fb/oculus things

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
hitman 3 vr is pretty funny but hella jank. also too much locomotion from doing the missions making me feel very sick. worth a try on gamepass but lol at people shelling out full money for it

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I despise Facebook and put off buying a Quest 2 for ages because of the Facebook account requirement but then gave in. Everything is locked down to the max.

The headset in Link mode works. There is just a prompt to sign into Facebook and/or Oculus that pops up whenever I try to access Quest stuff, which I don't use. Just worried it might rule me out of updates and stuff.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are all methods of streaming the Oculus to a TV equal in efficacy? I tried streaming by going to the Oculus website's casting section on the TV browser and then connecting that directly with the headset. It was horribly choppy/laggy. Does this just mean my internet is the limitation and all other methods will suck as well?

I have an LGC1 TV so unless I buy a chromecast separately, I think my options are pretty limited.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Megasabin posted:

Are all methods of streaming the Oculus to a TV equal in efficacy? I tried streaming by going to the Oculus website's casting section on the TV browser and then connecting that directly with the headset. It was horribly choppy/laggy. Does this just mean my internet is the limitation and all other methods will suck as well?

I have an LGC1 TV so unless I buy a chromecast separately, I think my options are pretty limited.

It is extremely true that the built-in smart tv software is often slow as poo poo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Welp, 2 weeks in and I had The Accident. Poured myself a cup of coffee, sat down on the couch, loaded up Vader Immortal in seated mode and at the first lightsaber fight smacked right into the coffee cup. All over the table, all over the couch, all over the rug and and over the me

Took an hour to clean up and the controller still smells like dark roast Arabica

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
After all of the complaining I did about Hitman upon release I've worked through the jank and it's incredibly fun (i've got 14 hours played since the VR patch). I should probably give payday 2 another chance.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

Took an hour to clean up and the controller still smells like dark roast Arabica

I wish mine smelled like tasty dark roast Arabica instead of nerd sweat tbh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We've all learned at some point, you either put your glass outside the boundary or put it in a container.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GutBomb posted:

After all of the complaining I did about Hitman upon release I've worked through the jank and it's incredibly fun (i've got 14 hours played since the VR patch). I should probably give payday 2 another chance.

I will say it took me a second time with Payday 2 VR to realize how truly great it was. I hated it initially and posted here saying as much but happily ate crow when we went back for another try and ended up spending another ~20 hours with that game just in VR

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Megasabin posted:

I have a TCL roku tv that I airplay from my iPhone. It usually is just a little bit behind (and the iPhone does not let you mute the phone while casting so Beat Saber has delayed music playing).

My wife challenged me to beat saber last night so she went and then gave me the headset. Screen went black, then lit up like it was starting, then went black. I pushed the power button and the oculus logo popped up but it went black again. It took powering down and restarting the headset twice to get it to go.

After that, we could not watch from the oculus app. It would just show a gray screen instead of what the oculus was showing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

Welp, 2 weeks in and I had The Accident. Poured myself a cup of coffee, sat down on the couch, loaded up Vader Immortal in seated mode and at the first lightsaber fight smacked right into the coffee cup. All over the table, all over the couch, all over the rug and and over the me

We’ve all been there. In Pokerstars VR I had a particularly strong hand on a high stakes table and was making a big dumb show of putting a grip of chips on the table in the last round of betting.

I grabbed my chips, stood up, moved to the center of the table and slammed them down, right into a full glass of water, which went literally everywhere including all over me, an Xbox one, all of its controllers and a bunch of other stuff

I did win the hand and promptly left the table to clean up, a real dick move lol

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

fuckpot posted:

If you have SideQuest installed, there is a tool within that lets you paste text directly into an active input field in VR. That's a possible solution.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What's the best method these days for streaming yourself playing the Quest 2 to PC while also talking to people on PC, assuming there is one? Sidequest can handle the streaming, but how do you then chat to people on discord?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Speaking of movies and stuff I was just coming to ask if there was anything interesting on the Quest as far as like watching real sports? (Or other systems, just for knowledge I guess.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Speaking of movies and stuff I was just coming to ask if there was anything interesting on the Quest as far as like watching real sports? (Or other systems, just for knowledge I guess.)

The NBA will occasionally have VR games in the Venues app (like, once every three weeks) and it was pretty neat but the video quality was poo poo so not really worth watching a whole game that way. This was also last season so maybe it's better now or they're not doing it anymore. This was the only live sports event I ever saw advertised on the quest though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered, but how is the game library for the Quest 2? I have a pretty old rear end PC (GeForce 1050 Ti and Intel I5-2500K cpu), so I have a feeling that excluding things like RE4 I'm going to be locked out of a lot of the quality games, right? My concern is buying it and (even with a PC link) being restricted to most of what's on Zucks store, which a lot of it looks like shovelware/indie trash/music games. I have no problem spending money and getting something goofy like that bar fight game, if say I can run that on my PC, so low quality isn't always a horrible barrier. I just want to know how decent the Quest 2 non-PC link games are in terms of quality and availability.

Also what accessories are considered, you must get this, it should have be included with the system?

Shame that VR can't work through cloud gaming as I WOULD love to try Hitman PCVR using GeForce Now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: I misread what you’re asking, let’s try again

Yeah a 1050ti isn’t great but it will drive a PCVR game. I put tons of time into elite dangerous, iracing, pokerstars and rec room on a 1050ti and an AMD FX-8350, you’ll just have to turn the graphics and potentially the render resolution down.

Honestly you may be more hamstrung by that cpu than anything. Physics heavy games like boneworks are definitely a no go on that cpu

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 22, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered, but how is the game library for the Quest 2? I have a pretty old rear end PC (GeForce 1050 Ti and Intel I5-2500K cpu), so I have a feeling that excluding things like RE4 I'm going to be locked out of a lot of the quality games, right? My concern is buying it and (even with a PC link) being restricted to most of what's on Zucks store, which a lot of it looks like shovelware/indie trash/music games. I have no problem spending money and getting something goofy like that bar fight game, if say I can run that on my PC, so low quality isn't always a horrible barrier. I just want to know how decent the Quest 2 non-PC link games are in terms of quality and availability.

Also what accessories are considered, you must get this, it should have be included with the system?

Shame that VR can't work through cloud gaming as I WOULD love to try Hitman PCVR using GeForce Now.

Quest 2 is the primary development for VR games these days, to the point where there are platform exclusives like Resident Evil 4 VR, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, as well as time limited exclusives that eventually got ports to PCVR. Your PC should technically be able to run some games in VR, Minecraft will work, but Half Life Alyx, Skyrim VR and most car/plane sims are out.

Get a head strap, though keep in mind that even the official options have issues with plastic breaking rendering them useless. Some people don't run into it, but fwiw the best head strap is either the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and 3D printed adapters so it fits the Quest 2, or one of the PSVR Halo-style straps (the BoboVR M2 is popular and comfortable, but mine broke lol).

Some people have been able to play PCVR over Shadowplay, I presume they live next door to a datacenter or have vestibular systems of steel.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
There are many native quest games that are pretty awesome. It's rather subjective because there are a lot of different genres. The free stuff on sidequest alone makes the platform worth it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: I misread what you’re asking

Yeah a 1050ti isn’t great but it will drive a PCVR game. I put tons of time into elite dangerous, iracing, pokerstars and rec room on a 1050ti, you’ll just have to turn the graphics and potentially the render resolution down.

Honestly you may be more hamstrung by that cpu than anything. Physics heavy games like boneworks are definitely a no go on that cpu

Yeah, the CPU has been around since 2011 (I built the computer for Deus Ex Human Revolution originally), but the graphics card was around when BF1 came out. On the plus side I have 24gb of ram (when I upgraded I was lucky enough to find a pair that would run with my existing ones). I was surprised when it look like Alyx might even run for my system.

I don't mind lower graphics if the gameplay experience is super fun. I'm just concerned about being hamstrung with shovelware.

Stuff like this or Vader's quest is fine though.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1196665787048646

Sam and Max game also looks awesome.

EDIT: Thanks for the additional info. Being able to play Skyrim or Alyx would be perfect for me. I consider those to be the type of options I was hoping for. What is sidequest though?

It's funny I'm actually considering this because, no one really uses the PS5 I got (besides Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding, but I can just play that on GeForce if I ever want), just the Series X. It's also good that the hardware is quality and that it's the industry leader, which is not too surprising since it is Carmack running it iirc.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 22, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skyrim and Alyx won't work. At least not well, they'll technically run but would stutter to the point where they might give you a headache. Alyx scales pretty well, but chokes on less than ~3GB VRAM, SkyrimVR requires 1070-level rendering performance and hammers CPU pretty hard in cities.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 1050ti has 4gb, the normal 1050 only has 2gb.

That being said I still wouldn’t count on alyx running super well but it is a game that scales extremely well and still looks gorgeous on its lowest graphics settings

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There are plenty of good games on the standalone Quest 2. For me personally it wouldn't have 100% justified the purchase, but you'll be able to run enough PCVR stuff that (again, for me) it's worth it overall.

Chances are you won't get worthwhile performance out of the likes of Alyx and Boneworks, but we're talking a very very small part of the VR library there.

Speaking of Quest 2 standalone I started playing RE4 and it's great, I know this game like the back of my hand but the perspective and controls are enough to make me feel like I'm 14 again. It's a pity it's Quest exclusive because the graphical concessions are a bit jarring (Ganados blowing up in a small ugly 2D fireball with Quake 1 level blood chunks) but it's not a big deal

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 1050ti has 4gb, the normal 1050 only has 2gb.
I had heard of people playing it on 1050tis, so I guess it can scrape by?