Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was getting frustrated trying to kill one of the fashion show targets, so I just walked up behind him, knifed him in the back right before he was about to go on-stage, and walked away undetected in the confusion.

The other I walked in as Helmut, enjoyed a lovely conversation about doing a job for her, and poisoned her drink while her back was turned

VR Jank caused me to accidentally slap him when trying to strangle him from behind and he ended up ragdolling into the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What is the benefit of virtual desktop? I used the steam virtual desktop.. but it's not like I can play videos in VR mode?

Also what's so good about big screen? Do people really want to watch a random movie with some people you don't know?

What is the best "VR Player" for Windows if I was to remote desktop into my PC to watch .. you know those videos..

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

lol internet. posted:

What is the benefit of virtual desktop? I used the steam virtual desktop.. but it's not like I can play videos in VR mode?

Also what's so good about big screen? Do people really want to watch a random movie with some people you don't know?

What is the best "VR Player" for Windows if I was to remote desktop into my PC to watch .. you know those videos..

For #2, at least for me, it's popping in and watching stuff that other people are streaming for free if I'm bored. Although I mostly do that in VRChat now instead. It's still cool if you want to watch a 3d movie in a big VR movie theater. Or if you have, like, a friend or family member far away and wanted to watch something together with them.

For #3, I use SkyboxVR, but I think it may be Quest only now, it doesn't look like there's a Steam download for it anymore. If you're on Quest, it's pretty good. There's also one called DeoVR, I remember the UI on that being kinda weird but it working fine for any 3d video playing needs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hitman IS pretty janky but not so much more janky than say, Skyrim or Fallout 4 VR. The worst part is having to keep yourself centered in your playspace because your avatar doesn't follow the head like in every single other VR game. Lol every time a 'in PSVR' tooltip pops up on the loading screens.

I am having a ton of fun though replaying the first game, making my way through. Good, janky poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

StarkRavingMad posted:

For #3, I use SkyboxVR, but I think it may be Quest only now, it doesn't look like there's a Steam download for it anymore. If you're on Quest, it's pretty good. There's also one called DeoVR, I remember the UI on that being kinda weird but it working fine for any 3d video playing needs.

Skybox is good, and it has a PC Oculus version if you're using a Quest. Deo these days is falling out of it, it's picky about encoding and its UI especially on PC gets worse with every update.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://clips.twitch.tv/BraveAwkwardNostrilEleGiggle-rXkDpRVxGQPDXw4s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

rude goldberg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone else finding Hitman 3 to be a bit crash-prone? I've had it just decide to close out on me a few times now.

One just as I used the exit after I had a perfect run in the Morocco market level too :argh:. Took down the General as the Prisoner, then made my way into the Consulate disguised as a military officer to take out the Masseuse and give that Banker a massage he wouldn't forget.

Also had a real fun time in the Consulate because I quietly strangled the Masseuse in his office, and stuffed him in a locker... just turn around and find there was a guard tapping away at his phone the entire time who never saw a thing :stare:. And a guy walked in as I was heading out of the room to top it all off. I have no idea how I got away with that.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

lol internet. posted:

I use Virtual Desktop for videos. It has a 360 video player feature built in.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Godi got my kiwi strap yesterday and it is so drat comfy compared to my old one I got off Amazon. Like Holy Moly it's great.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

queeb posted:

Godi got my kiwi strap yesterday and it is so drat comfy compared to my old one I got off Amazon. Like Holy Moly it's great.

Mines arriving today. I got the fitness VRcover a couple days ago and it makes the standard strap almost tolerable. I can’t wait to see how theKiwi feels with it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's the best method these days for streaming yourself playing the Quest 2 to PC while also talking to people on PC, assuming there is one? Sidequest can handle the streaming, but how do you then chat to people on discord?

I've done couple sessions where I cast the Q2 to a Chrome on my computer, then stream Chrome to Discord. For voice and audio I've used a wireless headset I wore over the Quest. It's probably possible to use the Quest microphone and speakers directly with Discord, but I didn't manage to get it to work the first time and switched to headphones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jabro posted:

Mines arriving today. I got the fitness VRcover a couple days ago and it makes the standard strap almost tolerable. I can’t wait to see how theKiwi feels with it.

I have both and it's really good. I've got a giant noggin, so finding the exact level of comfort and stability is difficult, if I don't want it to leave marks on my face.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I have both and it's really good. I've got a giant noggin, so finding the exact level of comfort and stability is difficult, if I don't want it to leave marks on my face.

My Kiwi strap is in the mail. I also have the face cover with air vents and the grips coming too, but from Amazon instead. This will likely make me able to play for longer periods of time... Which means I should get a battery.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the Q2 lose more charge playing native games or over AirLink?

Maybe I should get a battery as well. I have had Anker ones in the past but not sure what's going to give the best charge/weight balance.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know if they've made some changes in the past few months, but my Quest seems to last plenty long while plugged into PC these days, and charges while connected in standby to PC as well. Or possibly it's because I switched cables a while back, and it is able to run at a higher voltage?

Saukkis posted:

I've done couple sessions where I cast the Q2 to a Chrome on my computer, then stream Chrome to Discord. For voice and audio I've used a wireless headset I wore over the Quest. It's probably possible to use the Quest microphone and speakers directly with Discord, but I didn't manage to get it to work the first time and switched to headphones.

So you cast to your PC, then enter Link and go from there? Genius, I'll try that. I've cast to my TV then entered Link in the past, but didn't think about whether I could cast directly to PC.

E: ah, misread, you used a wireless headset as well. It'd be great if we could finally get discord native on Quest, or is it possible to sideload it since there's an Android app anyway?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 23, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Inzombiac posted:

Does the Q2 lose more charge playing native games or over AirLink?

Maybe I should get a battery as well. I have had Anker ones in the past but not sure what's going to give the best charge/weight balance.

It's probably a wash, since decoding that signal is going to be a significant task for a processor like that.

The basic Anker 10k mAH is what I use, it wont charge it while playing, but the onboard battery barely drains. It's the right weight to counterbalance the Quest 2 and most straps have some kind of holder designed for it on thangs/thingiverse.

Edit: looks like there's a few cheap ankers now. I used this one specifically.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WKVMRCW171CRTE1FEJAC

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Stream quest to PC friends:

Use virtual desktop and connect to your computer.

Sign into discord normally. Audio is passthrough so you should hear your homies and they should hear you.

Press the menu button on your right Quest controller. Start casting to your PC.

In discord either share your whole screen normally or the specific window being cast too. That's up to you.

Bingo that is it. You are now able to share your gameplay while talking to your homies

If you're recording for later Virtual Desktop creates audio devices that you can switch to in OBS to record yourself speaking, discord, the game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does that let you stream native Quest games while chatting on discord though? Wouldn't you have to quit out of VD to run other games, which might let people hear you through the stream, but you wouldn't be able to hear them?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why the gently caress is Virtual Desktop $20???

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

Why the gently caress is Virtual Desktop $20???

Because its worth 20?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tbh it probably isn't worth quite as much now that AirLink exists, especially since it only does one screen at a time. People go back and forth on whether it performs better than AirLink though, and it's currently useful for turning AirLink on in the desktop app, at least until Meta let you leave it on instead of bizarrely turning it off after 24 hours.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Tbh it probably isn't worth quite as much now that AirLink exists, especially since it only does one screen at a time. People go back and forth on whether it performs better than AirLink though, and it's currently useful for turning AirLink on in the desktop app, at least until Meta let you leave it on instead of bizarrely turning it off after 24 hours.

If you say so.

VD has so many uses that its absolutely worth 20 dollars.

And what are you talking about with 24 hours? I've never had VD just like "Shut down" or something? That line is confusing me and I have no idea what use case has anything to do with a full day of being on?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EbolaIvory posted:

If you say so.

VD has so many uses that its absolutely worth 20 dollars.

And what are you talking about with 24 hours? I've never had VD just like "Shut down" or something? That line is confusing me and I have no idea what use case has anything to do with a full day of being on?

If you don't use airlink for 24 hours the setting must be re-enabled in the beta menu in the oculus software. It's annoying. People use VD to get their PC's desktop into their headset and re-enable it there and then fire up airlink.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not VD, AirLink turns off after 24 hours if you haven't used it. It's incredibly annoying to switch on your Quest, try to connect to the PC that you know for a fact is switched on, then sigh as you realise that you need to climb two flights of stairs to click a button in the app for no reason.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've never had to turn on airlink again on my pc and I rarely use it twice within 24 hours.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I have also used virtual desktop to turn on airlink which is hilarious.

But honestly the only reasons I ever use airlink is for A/B comparing. virtual desktop plays much nicer with OVR toolkit in my experience. I can't say I've ever had a better experience using airlink. Ultra in virtual desktop with 120hz and 90mbps is flawless. If there's a crash it's because the quest OS is bugging out or trying to spin too many plates at once

and since my airlink left beta it DOES turn itself off infrequently.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 23, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is virtual desktop somehow more useful on the quest than on PCVR? I've recently bought the steam version because I saw a guide to get X4 working in a vorpx-like VR through (and it's, uhh, vorpx-like) but now I don't really see what I would use it for instead of the native Steam options or vorpx itself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Private Speech posted:

Is virtual desktop somehow more useful on the quest than on PCVR? I've recently bought the steam version because I saw a guide to get X4 working in a vorpx-like VR through (and it's, uhh, vorpx-like) but now I don't really see what I would use it for instead of the native Steam options or vorpx itself.

The quest version lets you stream PC VR games to the quest. before Airlink it was the only way to do it without a cable.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not VD, AirLink turns off after 24 hours if you haven't used it. It's incredibly annoying to switch on your Quest, try to connect to the PC that you know for a fact is switched on, then sigh as you realise that you need to climb two flights of stairs to click a button in the app for no reason.

Gotcha.

Another reason to just use VD. XD

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

I've never had to turn on airlink again on my pc and I rarely use it twice within 24 hours.

Yeah I need to turn it on in the headset itself sometimes, but not the PC app

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ideally it would default to Link when plugged into a PC and AirLink when it's not, but I guess we'll get that at some indeterminate point in the future, when the devs feel confident enough in AirLink's reliability for casual users.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I want to be clear I have not purchased the PCVR steam version of Virtual Desktop, only the quest version. I didn't feel the need for the desktop version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD has the integrated video streaming feature, it has more 'power user' options like strength of sharpening filter (unlike AirLink), it has the 360 controller emulation, it can run poo poo without having to open the stupid oculus vs home, etc. It's a paid app, but it has enough going for it that can be worth it, even if AirLink works fine for you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

htt ps://twitter.com/EricPresidentVR/status/1485345196686536704

i want to get off, etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Makes sense, people inherently know what virtual reality is but no-one has any loving clue what metaverse means so they look it up only to find articles about literally any tech thing tagged with it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

htt ps://twitter.com/EricPresidentVR/status/1485345196686536704

i want to get off, etc.

njsykora posted:

Makes sense, people inherently know what virtual reality is but no-one has any loving clue what metaverse means so they look it up only to find articles about literally any tech thing tagged with it.

They also tend to use VR not Virtual Reality.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, replies in the tweet showed succinctly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Metaverse is the new blockchain, since VC’s are getting wise to the plan of “come up with any plan and add the word blockchain to it” as a way to scam VC money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

VC’s are getting wise

Find this incredibly hard to believe to be honest.