Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
this game is inscrutable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i got to a red knight and died and when i respawned there was a red knight asking for 100 gems so i went back and got 100 gems and then i couldnt find the red knight asking for it again? i guess? and then i game overed

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

i got to a red knight and died and when i respawned there was a red knight asking for 100 gems so i went back and got 100 gems and then i couldnt find the red knight asking for it again? i guess? and then i game overed

he was gone because you had 100 gems for him.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

P-Mack posted:

Nominating 'dying to the purple ghosts that appear when you kill a boss' as one of the worst feeling gaming fails

this ruined my first no continue level 2 run

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mycophobia posted:

this game is inscrutable

its not that bad really. read the instructions

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can scrute this game perfectly.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm gonna do this now since tomorrow is really busy for me, and I'll link to this post from the OP since I will use this going forward to pick

1) TLD (first pick)
2) a Loving Dog
3) American McGay week 4 pick
4) grieving for Gandalf (don't know this guy but CSPAM gangtags = sus and might say gently caress him if his pick is retarded)
5) Fungah! game 13 pick
6) elf help book
7) heehee
8) Evil Eagle week 5 pick
9) herculon
10) Lumpy the Cook
11) Muscle Wizard
12) I got the tude now - game 9 pick
13) Bicyclops
14) P-Mack game 14 pick
15) Arrhythmia - game 10 pick
16) Plebian Parasite game 11 pick
17) Knuc U Kinte
18) Sudden Javelin (same deal as #4 lol)
19) Cubone
20) trying to jack off game 7 pick
21) Pablo Nergigante
22) In Training
23) ArfJason
24) goferchan
25) Wormskull
26) STONE COLD 64 MIA
27) mycophobia
28) b_d (pick for week of 2/2-2/8
29) Dr. Furious (????)
30) Sub-Actuality game 12 pick
31) Joan (pick for week of 1/26 -2/2)
32) welcome
33) mbt

I think that is everyone, but if you want on/off the IZGC pick list, just let me know

A couple of rules:

-If you don't want to pick after your number came up, just let me know and I will reroll for someone else
- If you don't answer within a day, I will reroll
-Please pick games that can be emulated easily, I will determine by howquicktobeat.com if we need 1 or 2 weeks

That Little Demon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 26, 2022

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ok i realize now the red knight moved out of the way to uncover a hole. i beat stage 1 and then game overed on 2

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
yay i didnt die on stage 1

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

patiently waiting to make my pick just so i can replay it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

this game is inscrutable

wait until level 3 lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

once i do a run through my opinion might change but the first level of vertical climbing on thin platforms while enemies spawn from above is tedious and not enjoyable at all. soon as i loaded it i instantly remembered turning this game off after 2 minutes and never playing it again like 20 years ago when i was going through nes roms lol

This

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s not that bad imo because jumping into enemies kills them most of the time and you almost never get stunned/knocked back

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s not that bad imo because jumping into enemies kills them most of the time and you almost never get stunned/knocked back

The enemies are just kinda randomly spawning from the edges of the screen all the time and sometimes they damage you but usually they don't and either way they really aren't interesting in the slightest. This same game with interestingly designed enemies carefully placed to complement the exploration and platforming would be remembered much better.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Enemies spawning seemingly infinitely is super annoying yeah.

Note: I haven't made it out of the tree yet, maybe it's different outside of the tree.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

Enemies spawning seemingly infinitely is super annoying yeah.

Note: I haven't made it out of the tree yet, maybe it's different outside of the tree.

its the same everywhere

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

lolling thinking about my game pick and the infinitely respawning enemy chat

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

lolling thinking about my game pick and the infinitely respawning enemy chat

theres a place for infinitely spawning enemies, and that place is not directly over your head when you basically need to touch the top of the screen to make it scroll up lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Winner: Joan

Please pick a game by the end of the day today and I will make some badges. Also, if you have an idea for the secondary challenge let me know as well let me know. Thanks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps, don't gently caress up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

playing this now. if i'd started earlier i think i would have gone for the no continues because it feels like it just would have been learning level 1. it's not even all the climbing, it's figuring out where everything is so that you can fall to stuff from the right door, lol. i'll probably beat it, infinite continues owns.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

playing this now. if i'd started earlier i think i would have gone for the no continues because it feels like it just would have been learning level 1. it's not even all the climbing, it's figuring out where everything is so that you can fall to stuff from the right door, lol. i'll probably beat it, infinite continues owns.

yeah its basically all routing to spend as little time s possible in the main forest area nd the tree before the boss. honestly it only took me like an hour and a half but i played the hell out of this as a kid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeah its basically all routing to spend as little time s possible in the main forest area nd the tree before the boss. honestly it only took me like an hour and a half but i played the hell out of this as a kid

this was about how far i got without losing a life and then i game over'd while i was trying to figure out where to jump next, lol.

i made some notes, though. if i can get to the end early enough, i'll try.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

this was about how far i got without losing a life and then i game over'd while i was trying to figure out where to jump next, lol.

i made some notes, though. if i can get to the end early enough, i'll try.

tbh thats pretty good, you just need to figure out how to get a couple of key items from there nd get some gems. that's like 40% of the routing done tho

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah, it took me two continues for the first level, but most of it was being lost. the boss isn't hard and the ice cave seems easier. it owns that you keep literally everything with a continue.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, it took me two continues for the first level, but most of it was being lost. the boss isn't hard and the ice cave seems easier. it owns that you keep literally everything with a continue.

very rare for NES games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Nominating 'dying to the purple ghosts that appear when you kill a boss' as one of the worst feeling gaming fails

lol just bit it to the ghosts on the second boss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Choose wisely, Joan.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Reserved.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

joan, might i recommend NES classic, Lunar Pool?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

good first pick IMO. the continues being infinite, dropping you right where you left off, and letting you keep all your stuff is really generous for this period.

good stuff:
the game gives you plenty of opportunities to get power ups later on if you miss them. falling a long way actually isn't that bad. it's actually the only way to lose progress and you don't lose that much. someone complained about the hit boxes, but almost everything dies to one blow and the bosses make a noise and flash when you hit them. usually any game that gives you a power up that lets you slow fall basically just puts the game in cheat mode for you, but i didn't feel that way in this one. rare's weird horniness is mostly in check except when you rescue the princesses.

bad stuff:
there's still a little too much climbing, and the difficulty is mostly front-loaded at the beginning, before you can get all your gear. i don't like that a lot of the power ups replace the skull kicking boots. most of the bosses are too easy and the last one is bullshit. i think the only one that nails it is the second-to-last boss, who made me lol even if he did, once again, kill me by ghosts once before i could get him.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
gently caress!

Decided to skip the treetops and just pick up the shield in the caves, I think that's the right choice if anyone's still trying to do this. The red birds are the loving worst.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
also if Joan doesn't pick she should be probated for week lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

welcome posted:

gently caress!

Decided to skip the treetops and just pick up the shield in the caves, I think that's the right choice if anyone's still trying to do this. The red birds are the loving worst.

i did the treetops instead of collecting the gems in the grey (british spelling) door tree

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

th treetops arent bad if you get good at bouncing off insects for the boost to get up there, you pretty much just run through nd get the shield/gems

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

th treetops arent bad if you get good at bouncing off insects for the boost to get up there, you pretty much just run through nd get the shield/gems

I wound up losing half a lifebar or more every time thanks to birds/bees/blobs. There were enough gems in the tree trunks that I had plenty.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

did the first two stages with one continue, but i was on my last life and the ghosts almost got me again.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Several continues later

Wild-rear end difficulty curve in this game, first stage is by far the hardest until you're inside the castle (although the outside of the castle is probably a huge pain if you missed both feathers).

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
warriors rule, wizards drool

fun game. glad i played it. the infinite continues things is an interesting choice for an nes era game, where brutal difficulty is the only way to make a game more than two hours. controls really well, and looks fantastic. def not doing the challenge though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

also if Joan doesn't pick she should be probated for week lol

ban+30 if they try to pick chrono trigger