Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

macabresca posted:

I've never noticed how far Skellige is from Novigrad. What was Geralt doing all this time on a ship?

Trying to read a cookbook but the rocking of the boat made it too hard to focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to me the funnier part is the extended sequence in HoS where it seems geralt has been on a boat for weeks or at least days and then it turns out they never even got out of novigrad

I was legit stunned they did not just instance in a beach somewhere and have geralt cutscene his way back to the north lol

I’d always just assumed they DID sail farther away, but in the confusion of the storm that O’Dimm creates, he just magics them back near Novigrad so Geralt can fulfill wishes. Geralt’s no use to him in Nazair.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to me the funnier part is the extended sequence in HoS where it seems geralt has been on a boat for weeks or at least days and then it turns out they never even got out of novigrad

I was legit stunned they did not just instance in a beach somewhere and have geralt cutscene his way back to the north lol
The frog fight is in Oxenfurt and the Pontar delta is all shallow swampland so I'd imagine the big ship went to the coast at a snail's pace using oar-powered tugs to avoid running aground. And then Gaunter hit them with a storm the moment they reached the open sea around Novigrad.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

chaosapiant posted:

None, the game still looks gorgeous by default.

Ok Cool!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

That wind reduction one is pretty good though, makes it more of an event when it's *actually* windy.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Going through towards the end of the Blood and Wine story and remembered something I found out a few playthroughs ago and not sure I posted if you save your game in the land of 1,000 fables after getting the unicorn, you can use that save for NG+ and your roach will be a saddle-less unicorn in the regular game it’s hilarious

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fortaleza posted:

Going through towards the end of the Blood and Wine story and remembered something I found out a few playthroughs ago and not sure I posted if you save your game in the land of 1,000 fables after getting the unicorn, you can use that save for NG+ and your roach will be a saddle-less unicorn in the regular game it’s hilarious

Don't know if it's still a thing after patches, but using a Dead Man's Party save would make Geralt strut around like Vlod.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't know if it's still a thing after patches, but using a Dead Man's Party save would make Geralt strut around like Vlod.

oh my god what

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

appropriatemetaphor posted:

That wind reduction one is pretty good though, makes it more of an event when it's *actually* windy.

I actually ended up using STLM and Atmospheric Nights to cover the lighting and it looks amazing. The windiness is annoying but I can deal with it. I was just being snarky at Chaosapient.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 22, 2022

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

That wind reduction one is pretty good though, makes it more of an event when the wind's *actually* howling.

ftfy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVqPDCVR3g

Made me laugh

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That threw me for a loop as well. I thought the beach I was fighting on was this far off distant land that would be the introduction to a completely new area, and then... lol nope, you're still right next to the main city.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Gaunter O'Dimm is a reality bending troll.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Had the quest where you have to choose between your Temerian pals or Djikstra and after choosing the Temerian bros it wouldn’t let me draw a sword or hit anyone for like 5 minutes.

“I won’t let you do that”
*hops around awkwardly for 5 minutes while everyone ineffectually fights*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If only it would let you push him

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is the standalone qwent game exactly the same game as appears in this? Same cards, same rules, etc?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is the standalone qwent game exactly the same game as appears in this? Same cards, same rules, etc?

It’s pretty much entirely different.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

chaosapiant posted:

It’s pretty much entirely different.

Having played them both, but not to any great extent, I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. They seemed identical to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kaal posted:

Having played them both, but not to any great extent, I'm honestly not sure what the difference is. They seemed identical to me.

Well for one, the standalone game has pretty much every card reworked and only uses two lanes instead of three. It’s been a while since I played.

Basically, the version of Gwent in W3 is great for a single player game, but far too lopsided to be balanced for actual multiplayer.

The two games now sort of resemble each other, but they’re pretty far apart now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I’ve never played the gwent beyond the tutorial years ago.

Wild hunt is killing ciri oh no but first, a hand of gwent?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I’ve never played the gwent beyond the tutorial years ago.

Wild hunt is killing ciri oh no but first, a hand of gwent?

What I appreciate about having read the series is that it turns out 'Geralt searching for Ciri but getting sidetracked by refugee troubles, hot sorceresses and Witcher contracts' isn't just video game ludonarrative dissonance but literally canon, so him also becoming obsessed with a card game is really par for the course

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Gwent was the first rpg minigame I ever played that was actually good and it was such a surprise

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Gwent was the first rpg minigame I ever played that was actually good and it was such a surprise

There’s been a few for me. The first one I can remember that I thought was neat was Triple Triad in Final Fantasy 8.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

There’s been a few for me. The first one I can remember that I thought was neat was Triple Triad in Final Fantasy 8.

It was the golden saucer for me, I spent hours playing those dumb games when I was 13.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I forgot how much a of bummer Velen was.

Edit: all of the noticeboard notes are things like "I have sold our goat so we could afford a funeral for my son but alas the goat hath plague also,"

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 24, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Velen can be a bit of a peasant misery simulator at times. Skellige is also a peasant misery simulator, but the Skelligers aren't the peasants, so it's a bit less depressing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
"Mum told me if I was good she'd send me on the trail of treats" :smith:

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
At least people in Velen don't talk about their traditions like skelligers. Your traditions sucks and I grow tired of you hiding behind them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think most of Velen has been depopulated by war and plague, but there is a little corner that is proud of its traditions of sending children off to the hags in return for some nebulous "protection", magic acorns that help the crops, and some helpings of mysterious stew at the end of the year party.

Which I guess is on par with Skellige tradition. I'm glad that their viking society is dying out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think most of Velen has been depopulated by war and plague, but there is a little corner that is proud of its traditions of sending children off to the hags in return for some nebulous "protection", magic acorns that help the crops, and some helpings of mysterious stew at the end of the year party.

One of the main reasons I consider helping the spirit in the tree a win-win situation. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
what happens to the kids when you do that? Do they just die, cause I’m not gonna lie that seems far more merciful than being eaten if it’s instantaneous.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

what happens to the kids when you do that? Do they just die, cause I’m not gonna lie that seems far more merciful than being eaten if it’s instantaneous.

The spirit actually upholds its end of the bargain, so it saves them and deposits them in an orphanage in Novigrad, where you can later visit them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Good to know I made the wrong choice on my first playthrough then!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
What about the proud tradition of Redanian marching songs, esprit de corps and Boats Guard Boats! still going strong just west of Oxenfurt :colbert:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What about the proud tradition of Redanian marching songs, esprit de corps and Boats Guard Boats! still going strong just west of Oxenfurt :colbert:

Trolls are the best characters in this game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that rock trolls are essentially game-original characters after reading the books (I’m sure they’re taken from some facet of Polish folklore if not just inspired by Tolkien), AND that it’s pretty easy to mostly avoid killing them cause they’re intelligent if someone cantankerous. Feel bad about that lake one by Kahr Morhen though, especially if it turns out you can cast that mind spell on him like the other one.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I'm pretty sure there isn't anything like these trolls in Polish folklore, it was probably mostly Tolkien

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Last Celebration posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that rock trolls are essentially game-original characters after reading the books (I’m sure they’re taken from some facet of Polish folklore if not just inspired by Tolkien), AND that it’s pretty easy to mostly avoid killing them cause they’re intelligent if someone cantankerous. Feel bad about that lake one by Kahr Morhen though, especially if it turns out you can cast that mind spell on him like the other one.

That one, the hostile ones in skellige and the respawning one in southern Velen are basically there so you can get the concoction without killing a good guy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite troll is the one that challenges you to a riddle contest in which the answer to the troll's riddle is "troll". just perfect characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I, just yesterday, discovered the singing rock troll and immediately stopped my partner's studying to show her.

She wasn't as entertained as I was :mad: