Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Resume and cover letter have been sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

:yotj:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Both resume and cover letter were just a link to my post history

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

larchesdanrew posted:

Both resume and cover letter were just a link to my post history

I hope it includes a link to that wonderful song

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I hope it includes a link to that wonderful song

I’m saving that for the live rendition I’m singing at the interview

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

I just want to slide into a cushy position somewhere and fly under the radar forever.

:same:
...but a bit more difficult for me since I'm nowhere near management, nor do I want to be. Also, I'm remarkably lazy.

quote:

Also the switch has been flipped and I immediately got notified of a position opening up at a college for an IT Director position that is exactly what I was doing at my previous job for a 300% pay raise and an actual department (with employees!) to run.

Definitely applying. Wish me luck :ohdear:

Good luck!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

larchesdanrew posted:

I just want to slide into a cushy position somewhere and fly under the radar forever.

This is, quite literally, the dream.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

quote:

[10:45 AM] new guy
Found a really cool network security site that has a bunch of different useful tools.
https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

Is Steve Gibson still generally thought of as a crackpot? Is there anything useful on his site?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is Steve Gibson still generally thought of as a crackpot? Is there anything useful on his site?

He's great at extrapolating the wrong conclusion from poorly-understood snippets of understanding, and I've seen nothing recent from him that makes me think he's gotten better. I'd avoid on principle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is he still doing everything in machine code?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'd check but his disclaimer sounds scary :ohdear:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Total crackpot.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Steve Gibson inspired some healthy paranoid mindset in me, but that was in fricking 1999. I can't imagine anyone still taking him seriously now if he's still spouting nonsense like he did then.

His ShieldsUp! is a case for unbinding Netbios from your modem adapter to prevent people from accessing your network shares over the internet, FFS. Nothing in that would still apply in TYOOL 2022.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Would a modern version just be him screaming endlessly about cloud services and always-on spy devices masquerading as home assistance by letting you pretend you're on the Enterprise talking to the ship's computer?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You guys should read up on SQRL

It’s.. something

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

It took me a few rereads of this recent Indexed to realize they weren't talking about Information Technology:

https://thisisindexed.com/2022/01/cheers-to-whats-next-for-you/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I used to listen to the Security Now podcast with Steve Gibson back when I was doing a lot of driving for work. I'm pretty sure he was still using Windows 2000 as his primary desktop OS well into the 2010s.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What's the best way to corral power cords in a cart? I'm kind of at a loss how to best clean this up.
Front

Back:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Maigius posted:

What's the best way to corral power cords in a cart? I'm kind of at a loss how to best clean this up.
Front

Back:

Use a lock the people on the front can't access and pretend it never happened.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Maigius posted:

Front

Back:

I'm pretty sure the connector on the outlet-to-brick cable is standardized, so you could get cables with a more reasonable length. Then you could use those little command velcro stripe to secure the bricks to the side. Beyond that, out of sight, out of mind.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ask A Manager: the new hire who showed up is not the same person we interviewed

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fuckin awesome.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Maigius posted:

Front

Back:

What you have there is organized and fine. It doesn't look like anything is getting strained.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

What you have there is organized and fine. It doesn't look like anything is getting strained.

At a glance, at least some of those look like the kind of power bricks with a socket in them rather than a hardwired cable, so they could potentially gonna slip off at some point.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Maigius posted:

Front

Back:

Compared to the laptop carts I’ve dealt with in the public school system that’s not too bad.

Maybe just make sure there’s adequate space around the power bricks for ventilation.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lmao

We actually had this happen for a pretty low level role.

He lasted about a week. Ended up sexually harassing another employee. When she told him to stop he double downed on being lovely, so she left her desk to get her manager. When they came back he was gone, up and left the building without a word and never came back.

Unfortunately the supervisor who hired him ate poo poo for it and nobody believed him when he claimed we got catfished. But the most telling sign was that he walked the guy he interviewed to the front door of the building. The guy who showed up had a heavy limp and couldn't make it up the stairs. That, on top of the expected performance problems like not knowing basic things he aced in the interview and being an all around moron. (Like interrupting a VP meeting to complain that someone stole his lunch. It got pushed to the back of the fridge. We also warned him that would happen.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's kind of nice to see the old urban legend about India make its way to the USA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maigius posted:

Front

Back:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The company my wife works at, they hired a remote programmer named 'Jake' that lived in Chicago. He was great, they tried getting him to come into the office (they are only a couple hundred miles away) and he kept putting it off etc. It ends up he's in CHINA.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

The company my wife works at, they hired a remote programmer named 'Jake' that lived in Chicago. He was great, they tried getting him to come into the office (they are only a couple hundred miles away) and he kept putting it off etc. It ends up he's in CHINA.

This like the story of the guy who outsourced his own job?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

This is my first time being contacted by recruiters and I’ve learned that recruiters are loving awful. I’ve had the same person contact me 4 times since yesterday for basically call-center jobs because no one understands hierarchy I guess?

15 years of experience with 7 of those being director/upper management positions and you think I’m going to jump at a tier 1 phone support job at a treadmill startup on a 6 month contract for $20k a year? Lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

They are constantly surprised that its a labor friendly market

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://alexchesser.medium.com/career-advice-nobody-gave-me-never-ignore-a-recruiter-4474eac9556

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

larchesdanrew posted:

This is my first time being contacted by recruiters and I’ve learned that recruiters are loving awful. I’ve had the same person contact me 4 times since yesterday for basically call-center jobs because no one understands hierarchy I guess?

15 years of experience with 7 of those being director/upper management positions and you think I’m going to jump at a tier 1 phone support job at a treadmill startup on a 6 month contract for $20k a year? Lmao

Unless you're dealing with a boutique recruiter for the specific elements of your industry they're going to be garbage. They don't understand who you are or what the job involves, they're just yelled at by management to put a warm body in the job hole so they can get their commission and bollocks to whether or not its a good fit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My best luck has been to reach out to an IT recruitment firm and tell them what I am looking for. That said, I don't look for director level roles, so I don't know how they handle stuff like that

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreenNight posted:

This like the story of the guy who outsourced his own job?

the guy who outsourced his own job at least outsourced it to someone who was good at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Shugojin posted:

the guy who outsourced his own job at least outsourced it to someone who was good at it

I think he outsourced it to five someones in fact.