Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

read back through the thread now that i've actually played the game. i think i missed the shield but that's ok because i don't know what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the bats are just too hard but im claiming the secondary. level three was more annoying than it had any right to be.

b_d posted:

read back through the thread now that i've actually played the game. i think i missed the shield but that's ok because i don't know what it does.

protects against small projectiles flying directly at u

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

My JOurney So Far... the first time i got the boots of force i forgot about the select button so i just ran into doors and chests wondering why they weren't working. then i spent a good half hour jumping around in level 3. still can't tell what the cloak of darkness does other than make it hard to see yourself.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1275336424

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Joan posted:

How about Axelay for the SNES? The secondary challenges could be beating it on higher difficulty levels and doing it with no continues.
drat good choice, been looking for an excuse to play this

b_d posted:

still can't tell what the cloak of darkness does other than make it hard to see yourself.
invulnerability to monsters

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
oh also are we gonna use this thread for next week or is there gonna be a new thread

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Kins posted:

invulnerability to monsters

i don't think it works.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

b_d posted:

its a shield

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

b_d posted:

i don't think it works.

It doesn't. It was supposed to make you invisible to monsters but it's bugged or something. It does reduce any damage you take to 1 HP, which is what nearly every enemy in the game does anyway.

Playing this on emulator and mapping select to a face button makes using items so much more convenient than with an NES controller.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

oh also are we gonna use this thread for next week or is there gonna be a new thread

gotta use the same thread for the trophy case.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

pretty sure lava boots were also bugged since you still lost life in lava

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all of the alternate items that replace the boots of skull kicking are traps.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

The Kins posted:

same thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'll try to edit the title around noonish

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

i'll try to edit the title around noonish

well tomorrow at midnight is when the next game starts, but I'll make the post for this weeks game shortly

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Second Game:
Axelay (SNES) - 1992 - Deadline 2/1/22 11:59EST

Axelay is a 1992 scrolling shooter video game developed and published by Konami for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Set in the fictional solar system Illis where an alien empire known as "Armada of Annihilation" invades its planets including the Earth-like Corliss (Mother), players take control of the titular D117B space fighter craft as a last resort to stop the alien invasion by recovering its lost weaponry. The gameplay mainly consist of both vertical-scrolling and horizonal-scrolling stages in the same vein as Konami's own Life Force, with players choosing three different weapon-types that increase in number as they progress through the game.

Headed by Super Castlevania IV producer Kazumi Kitaue, Axelay was developed by most of the same team that would later go on to form Treasure, the creators of Gunstar Heroes. Though first launched for the Super NES, the game has since been re-released through download services for Nintendo consoles. The title became popular and regarded by publications as a classic of the shoot 'em up genre, garnering praise for its visuals, music and an advanced selection of weapons available at the time. A sequel, Axelay 2, was planned but never materialized due to low sales of the first game.

Here is the OST - It sounds awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGUnAo3bhc

Trophies this week (thanks to Sub-Actuality):

Game Beat:

Game Beat with No Continues on Normal or above:

Good luck gamers!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Game starts tonight at midnight

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off posted:

pretty sure lava boots were also bugged since you still lost life in lava

you could ride on top of that lava spout without getting hurt, but that's it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

well tomorrow at midnight is when the next game starts, but I'll make the post for this weeks game shortly

ah, i'll wait then.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Axelay looks sweet. Pumped to drop some quarters so to speak on this number

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

Axelay looks sweet. Pumped to drop some quarters so to speak on this number

am im gonna pump hard to drop some number twos with no quarter on this, so to speak.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
whoops ok playing the wizard game here I go

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's really more of a warrior game. there's only one wizard i think.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
yeah I haven't seen any wizards yet I think, mostly birds

I got pretty much everything in the first level because I didn't realize you were supposed to go down the bee tree
also I missed every single treasure chest on the way down the bee tree and feel like a dope

I don't think I'll be able to do the no continues challenge at all, I hate this long bat hallway with my loving balls

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

all the chests in the bee tree are just the items in the first level over again in case you missed them (plus a wand to replace your boots and gently caress you over)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think there are some gems too, but yeah, nothing important.

also, it's probably the wrong way to do it, but for the bat hallway i just sprint to the end, then turn around and pelt the swarm. you lose a few bars of health to the swarm, but the big bat is easy enough to dodge that you can afford it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

also, it's probably the wrong way to do it, but for the bat hallway i just sprint to the end, then turn around and pelt the swarm. you lose a few bars of health to the swarm, but the big bat is easy enough to dodge that you can afford it.

thats the most reliable way i found as well

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alright, finally playing this turd for real now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

That exactly what I did

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Alright, finally playing this turd for real now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What's wrong? Couldn't find a Simpsons screengrab to post about it? :twisted:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

all the chests in the bee tree are just the items in the first level over again in case you missed them (plus a wand to replace your boots and gently caress you over)
this is a relief ty

Bicyclops posted:

yeah I just figured this out
the game basically forced me to get good at dodging to progress, which I always respect in a video game

also I just noticed that after you rescue the damsels you just walk away and leave them in a heap on the ground lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

What's wrong? Couldn't find a Simpsons screengrab to post about it? :twisted:

Windjammers

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You wanna play? It's free on Game Pass. I'll invite you. C'mon bro, just log on.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

don't even get him started lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dagger of Throwing ftw. This game rules now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alright, just made it to the tree with the plinko rear end roots. This game sucks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pressing Select to kick a giant skull in the face(?) for maximum damage ftw.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

American McGay posted:

Dagger of Throwing ftw. This game rules now.

American McGay posted:

Alright, just made it to the tree with the plinko rear end roots. This game sucks.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012