Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arquinsiel posted:

Tricking the gung-ho idiot fash brigade into demanding funding of public services by putting them under the Department of Defence is a pretty good trick TBH. Just wait a few years and change the name to the "Department of Social Defence" and watch the rage pour in.

america is currently doing this with teachers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

Where did you get it??????
Throwing it into google image search brings up a variety of Redbubbles.

gonadic io posted:

america is currently doing this with teachers
I feel bad now :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Go watch Band of Brothers.

I've watched it like 3 times! I wasn't concentrating on the hedgerows obviously

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why does any country need a navy, people can't live in the sea can they?:!?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Funnily enough, the terrain similarity is also why Saving Private Ryan filmed in Wexford neatly tying us back into using the Irish Defence Forces for non-military tasks :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

why does any country need a navy, people can't live in the sea can they?:!?
Provides good settings for comic operettas and such.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bedshaped posted:

seeing a really really big field for the first time can cause irrevocable psychic damage to an irish person

I have seen this actually happen to Dubs

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shoehead posted:

I have seen this actually happen to Dubs

I remember a few years ago RTE ran a story about a bunch of Dubs going to a farm for the first time in their life.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gonadic io posted:

I'll be honest, I have at times wondered if getting the passport and moving here from england was like moving to from germany to czechoslovakia in 1933 or so

We'll find out I think, depends on what happens with the EU imo. Ireland either needs the EU to continue to exist to muscle britain for us, or actual nuclear weapons.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Southpaugh posted:

We'll find out I think, depends on what happens with the EU imo. Ireland either needs the EU to continue to exist to muscle britain for us, or actual nuclear weapons.

I must say it was very nice specifically for Ireland that joe "I'm irish" biden won and told the uk to gently caress off, you just know trump would have been immediately undermining the GFA for his mates boris and nige.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skull Servant posted:

I remember a few years ago RTE ran a story about a bunch of Dubs going to a farm for the first time in their life.

You were watching Bosco

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Skull Servant posted:

My wife keeps seeing foxes and hedgehogs and cows and horses and it blows her mind every time. We're only in fuckin Bray

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bray is like some kind of fringe existence between urban chaos and bogger decline.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

My wife keeps seeing foxes and hedgehogs and cows and horses and it blows her mind every time. We're only in fuckin Bray
Foxes are pretty common in Coolock and one goon visiting me from Texas got to see one in Smithfield so I dunno WTF her problem is TBH.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pookah posted:

Bray is like some kind of fringe existence between urban chaos and bogger decline.

It’s a town full of fish people freaks.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The only time I was shocked to see an animal was a pheasant and that's because I assumed it would have been shot.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

I'd say more urban decline and bogger chaos tbh

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lovecraft inspired Irish Horror film when?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Or instead they could just focus on the coast guard instead of a military force being used for non-military stuff.

So it's not that simple.

First the Navy is covered by the Minister (and the Department) of Defense.
But Ireland is unique in that it's one of the only countries on Earth where our Coast Guard aren't a part of the Department of Defense. They are a part of the Department of Transport.

Secondly this limits their jurisdiction. The Coast Guard are limited in how far away from Irish waters they can operate. Where as the Navy is nominally allowed operate much further from Ireland.

Thirdly, while the Coast Guard is charged with enforcing Maratime Law, they are very limited in what they can do. Not only are they not armed, they don't even have powers of arrest.
Basically they have to get assistance from the Air Force, Navy, the Guards or even the office of Customs for some of their duties.

Essentially you need to have a Coast Guard and a Navy.

One of my friends is from Bray.
He says that on the weekends the people go down to the beach and stare at the sea until, willing it to be Monday again. I believe him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I was in the Bray Head Hotel about a decade ago when it was being used for a movie shoot, and it was without a doubt the most cursed building I've ever been on, they must have been doing ritual sacrifices or something in there every weekend back in the day

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was in the Bray Head Hotel about a decade ago when it was being used for a movie shoot, and it was without a doubt the most cursed building I've ever been on, they must have been doing ritual sacrifices or something in there every weekend back in the day

Should have run and gotten the local vicar

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PowerBeard posted:

Lovecraft inspired Irish Horror film when?
Wasn't that Grabbers?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

The only time I was shocked to see an animal was a pheasant and that's because I assumed it would have been shot.

Reminds me of the time we were driving down this road and a pheasant with a deathwish came charging at us. We stopped in time and I had to shoo it to the side.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

What shoot out of interest? Feature, tv or student?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It was the film Frank, I think I crop up as a random punter at the band's gig in an early scene

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice. Great film.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Rust Martialis posted:

Should have run and gotten the local vicar

I suppose its possible that you might find a Vicar down amongst the wicklow milieu.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

They have shot so many things down in or outside that hotel.
Back in my Extras days I was a background extra for a seaside scene in the adaption of the book Ice Cream Girls.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bray is such a kip. i used to work in ardmore studios so if i wanted to get food after work, i'd have to go to bray. so depressing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Had a good night at a birthday party in Bray Bowl where we had the run of the place, free booze and all the arcades were on free mode. Achieved a childhood goal by actually beating the TimeCop arcade, one of the most money-eating games of all time.

I guess that didn't have a lot to do with Bré per se

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Skull Servant posted:

Oh we have one of those living next to us, they've some voice on them.

The Question IRL posted:

One of my friends is from Bray.
He says that on the weekends the people go down to the beach and stare at the sea until, willing it to be Monday again. I believe him.

You literally can only do things like this in the winter, in the summer the seafront is wall to wall cityfolk and... shite I just reminded myself that the airshow will be back this year. We had to lock the doors the other year (they'll be covid locked still this year)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The airshow is the only time I've bothered going to Bray in recent years. It really hilights how the town is not at all capable of handling that many dubs at once.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bray is a great spot and infinitely superior to its bougie twin, Greystones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Bray to Greystones walk is nice enough. The further you go the nicer it is. Dalkey and Killiney are nice cycles as well if you like hills.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

It really hilights how the town is not at all capable of handling that many dubs at once.

Also true of Dublin tbf

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dublin suffers from employers insisting that everyone start and nine and quit at five or six PM. If presenteeism wasn't such a big fetish with Irish middle management it'd not be a problem at all.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

The Bray to Greystones walk is nice enough. The further you go the nicer it is. Dalkey and Killiney are nice cycles as well if you like hills.

Was on it there a few days ago. The council have put up barriers near the greystones end to try stopping people doing the full walk.

On account of some of the path being fairly eroded a few months back. Of course everyone just goes around the barriers anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Dublin suffers from employers insisting that everyone start and nine and quit at five or six PM. If presenteeism wasn't such a big fetish with Irish middle management it'd not be a problem at all.

That sucks. I work from whenever I drag myself out of bed to whenever I get too bored, which is probably 10-5. Can't imagine going back to the clocking-in grind at this point

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am now in much the same situation. Working 100% remote for a small company that works to task rather than to time. Thanks to being fast, I spend a lot of time reading forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I am now in much the same situation. Working 100% remote for a small company that works to task rather than to time. Thanks to being fast, I spend a lot of time reading forums.

i started WFH in April 2020 and my forums time has increased exponentially