Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

megane posted:

Definitely. Wizard also has the least flexible builds and is just generally not as fun as the other classes, in my opinion.

To add onto this:

Wizard is the minmax class - a lot of its options are useless or even detrimental if not paired with other, complementary options. For instance, you're not going to win as a necromancer with equipment that gives you heat management, since those items aren't doing you much good and you would benefit a lot more from something that provides souls or zombies or whatever. Wizard is all about being prepared for every risk you're going to face; you win by having a carefully assembled deck, items to complement that deck, and the patience to thoroughly think things through rather than warhammer berserkering everything into a paste. You very much have to approach it like solving a series of puzzles.

Starting out, players inevitably end up doing a lot of doomed runs to try to unlock more useful stuff to play with, which can definitely be frustrating. Once you've got your hands on a good, synergistic kit, though, Wizard can be pretty fun to play. You just need to go in with the right expectations - it's overall much less forgiving of mistakes than the rest of Card Quest's classes, but if properly built, it tends to strongly reward meticulous play. It just takes a while to get those builds together, is all :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, it's been picking up some traction due to exposure from streamers/youtubers. pretty fun for what it is, where you exist as the bullet hell yourself and strategize as well you can to maximize your damage output to fight off the ever-increasing hordes. hard to go wrong for 3 bucks, and it's got enough to sink your teeth into for a bit already. i guess the connections to roguelikes is debatable but whatever.

I figure the connection is from the permanent upgrades and single life. Two checkboxes off the bat!

Got linked on IRC one night, then multiple people I follow on Twitch were streaming it the next day so I caved, and then I just gifted it to a friend since it's cheaper than a coffee+tip. My only real issue (for now since it's early access) is that a complete run takes 30 minutes and one of mine fell apart at 29:42 or 29:24 :mad:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm another Card Quest dummy that couldn't get through the tutorials for any of the classes besides Fighter. The different playstyles and variety of that class alone was pretty fun though, so I'm hoping to jump back in with the other classes when they release the remaster.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

skip the tutorials and just dive into the game, I've beaten multiple runs and never did some of the tutorials

play each of the classes, and try them in each area - you'll find one that clicks and then you just get to unlock more toys that expand your options and builds from there

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beating the first location or two of each area with each class will also give you replacements for a lot of the crappy starting equipment.

e: For example, the hunter's starting bow is hilariously bad, but you can get the Short Bow from the first level of the Mountain and the Composite Bow from the first level of the city.

megane fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 26, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

and for a single general tip: be really aggressive about card cycling

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

To add onto this:

Wizard is the minmax class - a lot of its options are useless or even detrimental if not paired with other, complementary options. For instance, you're not going to win as a necromancer with equipment that gives you heat management, since those items aren't doing you much good and you would benefit a lot more from something that provides souls or zombies or whatever. Wizard is all about being prepared for every risk you're going to face; you win by having a carefully assembled deck, items to complement that deck, and the patience to thoroughly think things through rather than warhammer berserkering everything into a paste. You very much have to approach it like solving a series of puzzles.

Starting out, players inevitably end up doing a lot of doomed runs to try to unlock more useful stuff to play with, which can definitely be frustrating. Once you've got your hands on a good, synergistic kit, though, Wizard can be pretty fun to play. You just need to go in with the right expectations - it's overall much less forgiving of mistakes than the rest of Card Quest's classes, but if properly built, it tends to strongly reward meticulous play. It just takes a while to get those builds together, is all :v:

Meanwhile, I bounced off the Undead City hard as the Ranger and Rogue, then tried Wizard and made it to the Cemetery with the starting gear :science:

In the process I unlocked what looks like a full starting set of Necromancy kit -- Necromancy School, Book of the Dead, and Scrolls of the Damned -- but I cannot figure out how to get it off the ground; you need to take 4 damage right at the start to get souls, and once you have them you have to be really, really careful about what you cast to make sure you're getting back at least as many souls as you spend. You're always one bad draw away from running out of souls and running out of souls is guaranteed death.

Maybe there's some trinket that goes with it that I'm missing? I tried the Arcane Channeler for increased max energy and reduced energy cost, but in practice that doesn't help much because your limiting factor is souls, not energy.

victrix posted:

and for a single general tip: be really aggressive about card cycling

By card cycling, do you just mean, like, playing cards that you don't need but have [draw] on them in order to hopefully get cards that are useful? The in-game help really heavily emphasizes discarding cards I don't need but that doesn't seem to actually do anything except make room for card draws; if I don't have any way of drawing more cards discarding doesn't help.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya, it's basically just make sure you aren't burning card draws by keeping a full hand when you have cards coming in. You don't want to miss card draws even if you have to pitch cards that are potentially useful sometime soon because more card draws means more energy gain from resource generating cards.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe there's some trinket that goes with it that I'm missing? I tried the Arcane Channeler for increased max energy and reduced energy cost, but in practice that doesn't help much because your limiting factor is souls, not energy.

Honestly, plenty of builds get way better with the right armor/trinket/bag. For necromancy specifically, there's the Necromancer robes that passively generate 2 souls per turn, and can be used to generate 6 souls.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Made it to the Cathedral and the died halfway through, unlocked a whole bunch of new stuff. I found the Storm Ring on that run and ended up leaning into lightning aura stacking; first two turns of each fight anything that attacked me was taking 6 damage, which let me completely ignore a lot of enemies.

Now I'm taking a pyromancy run and it takes a bit of getting used to, although I can't argue with the damage output. I do wonder why anyone would take Fire Mastery (+1 fire/turn), though -- the biggest problem I have is having too much fire and having to back off on the destruction until I can play Cooling Stance.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Arzaac posted:

Honestly, plenty of builds get way better with the right armor/trinket/bag. For necromancy specifically, there's the Necromancer robes that passively generate 2 souls per turn, and can be used to generate 6 souls.

The familiars that reduce the soul price is great too. Fire mastery can work if you have fire as a side thing to another spell school.

Don't forget to mulligan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I do wish Card Quest actually, like, explained its mechanics more.

For example: what counts as a "defenceless target"? The Rogue has loads of stuff that either only works on defenceless targets or gets a large bonus against them, but no-where does it explain what that actually means.

E: poo poo, rogues have no ranged attacks, how are you meant to deal with the damage-on-hit enemies all over the undead city? Try the forest or the mountain instead and come back after unlocking different gear?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IIRC, a defenseless target is a target that can't attack you on their turn, so either stunned or confused.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's some way to hit retaliation enemies without taking damage. I think either confused targets can't retaliate, or you can kill retaliate foes with block effects that deal damage. Something like that.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The base Rogue kit has Trick Dodge, which you can use to get other enemies to kill the damage-on-touch enemies for you. They also unlock a few ranged items and weapons eventually, and for the items in particular some of them are strong contenders for best in slot. In general, though, damage-on-touch enemies are the Rogue's biggest weakness and you need to consider which places you go if you don't have the kit to deal with them.

Don't feel like you have to beat the first campaign to handle the second and third, they do get progressively harder overall but the first few levels of each aren't that bad and it's a good idea to try them all so you can unlock a nice broad kit of stuff to try out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How the gently caress is Gordian Quest still in EA

I was getting into Star Renegades again recently, they've added a ton of content and patches since launch, but I was having an oddly difficult time finding any recent gameplay info - there doesn't seem to be much of a YT fan community for it, though there are a few steam guides

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

victrix posted:

How the gently caress is Gordian Quest still in EA

I was getting into Star Renegades again recently, they've added a ton of content and patches since launch, but I was having an oddly difficult time finding any recent gameplay info - there doesn't seem to be much of a YT fan community for it, though there are a few steam guides

It's probably because they realized a lot of people just wanted to play StS but with the Gordian Quest characters/mechanics rather than the campaign, so they spent a lot of time making a functional StS mode before going back to their original linear campaign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kanos posted:

It's probably because they realized a lot of people just wanted to play StS but with the Gordian Quest characters/mechanics rather than the campaign, so they spent a lot of time making a functional StS mode before going back to their original linear campaign.

Tainted Grail did the same thing. Conquest was implemented as a score attack mode to test out the mechanics for The Fall of Avalon and to give people something to play during development. Then they got enough feedback saying "yeah, not too bothered about the RPG but this is fun" that they decided to sell Conquest and TFOA as separate games.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In other increasingly rare happenings as far as having been Awhile since prior updates given the prevailing trend of either steadily burning the candle vs burning at both ends unto burning out into vanishing in the form of chucking the entire thing into a fireplace: Fame out of nowhere with signs of life

https://sourceforge.net/p/untitled-rpg/blog/2021/06/fame-0918-released/

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I do wish Card Quest actually, like, explained its mechanics more.

For example: what counts as a "defenceless target"? The Rogue has loads of stuff that either only works on defenceless targets or gets a large bonus against them, but no-where does it explain what that actually means.

E: poo poo, rogues have no ranged attacks, how are you meant to deal with the damage-on-hit enemies all over the undead city? Try the forest or the mountain instead and come back after unlocking different gear?

Some of this has been said already, but:

Anything that's stunned or unaware is defenceless. This means that attacks that do more damage to defenceless targets can never get that bonus against "unaware & status immune" targets, so make sure you have some means of taking those out without burning through your entire supply of energy and/or cards.

The Assassination school gets a Killing Strike attack that flat-out ignores all armour and retaliation damage (and hits really hard, and IIRC is undodgeable). You have to save up 3 tactics points to use it though. There are also a few trinkets/bag items that let you toss out free ranged attacks once in a while.

Probably the best solution is the throwing daggers offhand weapon. I forget where you get it, but it's a phenomenally good pick for enhancing Rogue's flexibility and giving him a sustainable means of fighting at range.

When you're still limited to melee, Rogue is pretty dependent on careful, sustainable fighting. You need to think ahead, neutralizing just enough opponents to let you reliably block/dodge/whatever your way through the remainder without eating hits - but also without getting into a losing spiral of spending all your stamina on defence and being unable to continue attacking. If you've got the hang of that, you'll be a real terror as soon as you pick up some of the more exotic Rogue unlocks.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I know others have said it but the number 1 thing for Card Quest is to always make sure you have room for all your draws. The number 2 thing is to never just stick to one of the worlds. Beat the first couple of zones in all worlds as each zone you beat is a new unlock and is pivotal for a lot of the characters.

After you start unlocking the shortcuts you can start figuring out what loadouts are good for what zone (as mentioned, assassination for rogue against retaliation heavy stuff, etc).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, don't use the key shortcuts. They might save you a little time but they starve you of items and gold and whatnot. Start from the first zone, plan your route, and use the first couple of areas as a warm-up to experiment with new inventory items and work out the rhythm of your build (or go back and restart when you realize it doesn't work very well).

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, don't use the key shortcuts. They might save you a little time but they starve you of items and gold and whatnot. Start from the first zone, plan your route, and use the first couple of areas as a warm-up to experiment with new inventory items and work out the rhythm of your build (or go back and restart when you realize it doesn't work very well).

Is it that much worse? Maybe that's why I seemed to hit a wall and can't win anymore...

I had assumed the bonus levels they gave you when using the shortcut would balance it out.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The key shortcuts aren't necessarily bad. At most you miss out on a few items, but for the stronger builds you won't need them. It IS better to go from the start when you're doing subclass unlock runs because those are usually more challenging, by virtue of leaning really hard into their gimmick when in a regular game you'd probably have a few utility picks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Farquar posted:

Is it that much worse? Maybe that's why I seemed to hit a wall and can't win anymore...

I had assumed the bonus levels they gave you when using the shortcut would balance it out.

You're compensated for missed experience, but all the gold you miss is still potentially pretty important. Picking up a whiskey flask or dwarven bomb at a shop can easily make the difference between a winning run and a losing one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1147560/view/3130565855261305978

quote:

Hey Skul Squad!
There are now more than 1,000,000 players, meaning that Skul is now a million seller! We are extremely delighted and honored to have more than 1 million players with us. Hence today, we’ll be looking back on our journey to becoming a million seller.

This is cool. Unfortunately, I have no idea what this line near the end of the article means.

quote:

Future Plans
We originally planned to provide updates such as a hard mode, and QoL improvements in 2021. But it unfortunately didn’t happen and it is true that recently updates have been infrequent. This is because there was a lot of trial and error while developing hard mode, which meant that we had to adjust the design and update plan.
[...]
Therefore as you all know, plans were changed and it was decided that the reform of Skul be carried out first.[...]Through the upcoming Skull reform update, we would like to bring forth a new sense of enjoyment and experiences while laying down the foundation for hard mode content.
[...]
It is very unfortunate that content which should have been released in 2021 is delayed once more. But in addition to re-creating hard mode, many quests occurred in the process of expanding the size of the development team, which inevitably led to a longer update cycle.

Does it mean hard mode specifically is getting delayed? The whole reform update? Who knows? Certainly not me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

While I may be complaining about it a lot, I am really enjoying Card Quest; it turns out that I don't really like the deck-management aspects of games like Slay the Spire, so something like this where you design your deck at the start using a few fairly coarse knobs at the start of the run and it's fixed thereafter is exactly what I'm after in a "card roguelike".

With that out of the way, things Card Quest did not explain that I wish it had, often because not knowing it killed me. Maybe this will be of use to someone else.

- If an enemy is both Distant and Unaware, both debuffs count down at once, so there's no point stacking both.
- If they're Stunned as well, the other debuffs won't tick down until the stun wears off, so it *is* useful to stack Stun with other disabling effects.
- Counterattacks (Counter Shot, Storm Ring, etc) will negate the attack iff they kill the attacker. If they don't you will take full damage unless they also have a block/dodge effect.
- Counterattacks ignore Dodge, but do not ignore Armour
- Using trinkets affects your chain. Using consumables does not.
- Stun effects on you force you to discard a card at random.
- Burning and Poison do damage to enemies at the end of their turn, not the start. It does damage to you at the start of your turn.
- Trinkets and consumables cannot be used during the defence phase, only during your turn.
- Enemies that spawn other enemies when they die (undying cultists, spider coccoons, etc) will inherit the Distance property of the thing that spawned them, but not other status effects like Stun.

Unanswered questions:
- What does Weak Point do? I mean, it increases damage taken, but how? I thought it was a flat +2 to damage but sometimes it seems to do more.
- Some attacks remove Unaware from the target. Which ones?
- If you reach Fire 10 with the same action that ends the battle, do you still take overheat damage?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Finally got my first win in Pathos. It's easy to see why nethack has been so influential, and in many ways it's puzzling it hasn't been more so, but I also feel like there's no reason to go back to it - once you know the systems, your run's fate is going to be more or less decided by your first encounter with a baby dragon. That solves the hunger clock and by the time the next escalation in threat happens you will have destroyed the power curve so completely that you don't even notice it and can only lose to your own carelessness or intentionally tying both arms behind your back.

Is there normally a boss in the infernal spire? I just found a pile of loot on a throne, so I'm thinking I might have accidentally wiped out some sort of optional superboss with a blessed scroll of genocide when I got bored of slogging through demons in the place's basement.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

Finally got my first win in Pathos. It's easy to see why nethack has been so influential, and in many ways it's puzzling it hasn't been more so, but I also feel like there's no reason to go back to it - once you know the systems, your run's fate is going to be more or less decided by your first encounter with a baby dragon. That solves the hunger clock and by the time the next escalation in threat happens you will have destroyed the power curve so completely that you don't even notice it and can only lose to your own carelessness or intentionally tying both arms behind your back.

pathos isn't 1-to-1 with nethack in this regard. nethack can gently caress you up even at the very last moment even though a well-prepared ascension kit gives you a high chance of success. certainly there are things you can do to trivialize the midgame and stay ahead of the power curve, but it's hard to plan for every possibility

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jazerus posted:

pathos isn't 1-to-1 with nethack in this regard. nethack can gently caress you up even at the very last moment even though a well-prepared ascension kit gives you a high chance of success. certainly there are things you can do to trivialize the midgame and stay ahead of the power curve, but it's hard to plan for every possibility

[ASK] me about eating the corpse of Death through inattention and the game loving editorializing at me about it

:mad:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Card Quest chat:

If the enemy is both Stunned and Unaware, hitting them directly will not remove the Unaware status. Additionally, DoT effects like poison will never remove Unaware.

The most busted combo I’ve found in the game is for the rogue: Wolf Claw mainhand, Bag of Tricks offhand, Swashbuckling school. This setup is extremely energy efficient, allowing you to cycle for ages and do absurd damage-per-turn once you get a few claw frenzy stacks. Poison Darts and Garrote are great supplementary tools, and you’ll want something that reveals hidden enemies if possible. Use a dart primarily after you use a Chainbreaker to cheaply restart your combo, and Garrote as emergency cards if you have a very unlucky draw.

The only notable weakness is that the defensive cards are relatively high cost. Only rely on them when necessary, e.g. using Dodge Attack to hit retaliation enemies or Acrobatics for added distance close beyond Lunge. (Lunge is insane, btw)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Skul update was more looking back while also at now---everything is still planned to land somewhere in Any Week Now Territory, but they've regrets at not being able to close out 2021 with much of the lot of it as they were looking somewhat likely to do before Q4, especially, played out.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Ciaphas posted:

[ASK] me about eating the corpse of Death through inattention and the game loving editorializing at me about it

:mad:

Lol actually I want to hear this. How do you eat death's corpse?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

- What does Weak Point do? I mean, it increases damage taken, but how? I thought it was a flat +2 to damage but sometimes it seems to do more.

It's a flat bonus to damage, but you can stack multiple instances of it to add more bonus damage. Gets pretty nuts if you have a build that lets you apply a lot of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Lol actually I want to hear this. How do you eat death's corpse?

Step one is to make it to the Astral Plane, the final level of the game. Your goal here is to make your way to your god's altar and offer up the Amulet of Yendor, ascending to demigodhood. This is complicated by the fact that the level is full of high-level enemies which you need to fight through, and there are three altars in separate rooms and you can't tell which one belongs to your god until you're right next to it, but that's the basic idea.

In addition to the general slew of nasties filling the level, each altar is guarded by one of the other three Apocalyptic Riders -- Famine, Pestilence, and Death. So step two is to make your way to the altar guarded by Death and kill the poo poo out of him.

Step three is to walk up to the corpse (be quick, he won't stay dead for long) and eat the body.

This results in the message "eating that is instantly fatal" and a gravestone saying "[character name] unwisely ate the body of Death".

Before you ask, you can't tin the Riders for later consumption either.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

always thought it a bit clever that they excluded the fourth horseman of the apocalypse from the massive swarm attacking you

after all, who d'you think they're attacking :black101:

but yep ToxicFrog's post is exactly it - was like 5 tiles away from the last altar, clobbered death 'cos he was being a door-blocking turd, walked over, and somehow fat-fingered my way to a free tombstone :cripes:

won't pretend i wasn't mad but in retrospect it was pretty fuckin funny

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Skul update was more looking back while also at now---everything is still planned to land somewhere in Any Week Now Territory, but they've regrets at not being able to close out 2021 with much of the lot of it as they were looking somewhat likely to do before Q4, especially, played out.

Yeah, I can definitely see that, but I wish the post was a little clearer in that regard.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Is there a spoiler-light way to expand on this? Like, is Pathos missing enemy types, numbers tweaked, harder to get immunities in nethack, something else entirely?

From the previous posts it sounds like the final level is completely different.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

Is there a spoiler-light way to expand on this? Like, is Pathos missing enemy types, numbers tweaked, harder to get immunities in nethack, something else entirely?

From the previous posts it sounds like the final level is completely different.

i'm not really too familiar with pathos but it is a different game. expanded in a lot of ways (stuff imported from slash'em and original creations of the pathos dev) and just different in others. but i do know nethack, and i know that there isn't any point in the game where you can become essentially untouchable forever because there's always more and it's always worse. certainly just running into a baby dragon and beating the hunger clock isn't something that happens in nethack. those baby dragons are stringy, they don't give much food.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Free DLC for Neon Abyss "Chrono Tap" until Feb 3 when I guess they start charging for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

New Card Quest question -- how do trinkets recharge? I thought the number next to it was number of uses and the number of bar segments was number of combats to recharge, but the Poison Darts don't seem to be recharging.

E: ok, it looks like they have six charges and recharge 2 per fight?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 28, 2022