Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thank you for the return of web search. I kees you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saw there was an update and I realized it had been a while since I stopped by and said thank you. Thank you to the folks who developed this app and keep it going. SA wouldn't be the same without it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aardvark! posted:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Sereri posted:

Ah, dang-it. I had this as solved in my head because someone already took a shot at that but that unfortunately never came to be.

I'll take a another look at that.

Thank you! And yay for the return of web search! :lovebird:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Aardvark! posted:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Aardvark! posted:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Still not working for me actually. :( Latest webview and chrome. Android 11 on a TCL (Alcatel) A3. (Translation: cheapo $30 phone at Target (which is actually more powerful than my $250 galaxy S3 in 2015... ain't technology grand?))

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

REQ: Ability to d/l avs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have a weird issue where someone posted this link in the SALR thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=520247246

And the app seems to attempt to load and embed it in the current page and post when tapped? Then fails with 'doesn't exist in the live forums'. Odd.

I guess it'd be good enough if the open/share popup appeared instead?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for web search friend.

It works most of the time.. occasionally I'm asked if I want to define a word which for some reason removes the web search option but it's 99% better I love you

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wendigee posted:

Thank you for web search friend.

It works most of the time.. occasionally I'm asked if I want to define a word which for some reason removes the web search option but it's 99% better I love you
when this happens are there 3 dots at the far right of the context menu? tap that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's kinda funny, this wasn't a problem in my old phone, but I got a new one last week and most of the options disappeared when I highlight words now. Now the only options I get are copy/share/select all, no additional buttons or anything. Same ostensible os, android 11, aside from whatever background differences there are between phones. In short, :iiam:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

First off thank you to everyone who contributes to this app, it seriously in my top five apps that I use every single day or every single hour and it's just a good well-built piece of software.

I have no idea how feasible this idea would be, but the ability to save or bookmark individual thread posts would be amazing. I get so much of my news and comedy and general internet stuff from the forums but I have no decent way of marking a post to come back to later.

I don't believe that Frankenstein vBulletin or whatever the forms technically run on nowadays supports that, so that database would have to be either local to the device the app is running on, or hosted elsewhere on the internet outside of the forums.

Just an idea that I know a lot of people might find useful, if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll poke around and see if I can contribute in some way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

Just an idea that I know a lot of people might find useful, if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll poke around and see if I can contribute in some way.

I would like that very much, but also understand how it's completely outside the forums' current architecture. I switch and reset browsers so much that trying to bookmark things there isn't really worthwhile, I've taken to PMing myself specific post links if there's something I want to keep track of long-term.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would like that very much, but also understand how it's completely outside the forums' current architecture. I switch and reset browsers so much that trying to bookmark things there isn't really worthwhile, I've taken to PMing myself specific post links if there's something I want to keep track of long-term.

Yeah I identified that issue as well, it would really have to be something that is just part of the app itself and would likely not be cross-platform to browsers on PC Mac or Linux or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What I did is I started a note called "SA links" in Google Keep. To bookmark a post I hit the 3 dots, copy url, switch to Keep (and that note), type a quick description, hit the return key then long-press/paste and done. Don't need to hit save or the back button or anything. Just go do whatever with impunity, and have that link available on all devices. Not as pretty or quick as a native function but I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything faster that's also less messy (than, say, an inbox full of msgs to myself).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A couple of people started threads in the Post My Favorites subforum to hold links to posts they wanted to keep handy. In that sub only the thread starter can post in a thread, so you don't have to deal with other posts getting mixed in with yours, though it is viewable to anyone with an account so it may not fully meet your needs.

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Yuu Morisawa posted:

What does the shot do

context: I apparently didn't open the app after updating until a few days after posting this :laffo:

Yuu Morisawa fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is in no way an actual request as the app has been something amazing that's been done for free, but has there been any plans to update large screen layout now that Android tablets may actually be a thing again?

The current tablet layout really isn't more useful than the phone layout since you can't really interact with the posts when you switch back to the thread list. I'm looking at the way the Awful iOS app works where the thread list (or bookmarks) are docked on the left hand side in landscape and you can just select threads that populate on the right side. You can quickly switch between threads using your left thumb and scroll and refresh either side independently.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cr0y posted:

First off thank you to everyone who contributes to this app, it seriously in my top five apps that I use every single day or every single hour and it's just a good well-built piece of software.

I have no idea how feasible this idea would be, but the ability to save or bookmark individual thread posts would be amazing. I get so much of my news and comedy and general internet stuff from the forums but I have no decent way of marking a post to come back to later.

I don't believe that Frankenstein vBulletin or whatever the forms technically run on nowadays supports that, so that database would have to be either local to the device the app is running on, or hosted elsewhere on the internet outside of the forums.

Create a thread in Post My Favorite and quote copy paste your your bookmarkworthy posts in it

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Sereri posted:

Ah, dang-it. I had this as solved in my head because someone already took a shot at that but that unfortunately never came to be.

I'll take a another look at that.
Sorry about that I'm working on this today and should have a patch by Friday, if you haven't already started.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It looks like spoilered links break tables for me:

LonsomeSon posted:

afterward, and the account which posted it seems to have some Questionable opinions otherwise, but it’s the first thing ive seen which seems like it might be out of there in awhile https://twitter.com/theno1waffler/status/1481054764561489922

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Last few days my app has been saying I'm using an outdated... something something, can't read the error message as it's cut off. All apps are up to date. What do I do? Everything seems to work fine other than that occasional error message. It'll pop up a bunch of times then go away for 24+ hours.

Oppo Find X3 Pro (2021 model) running Android 12.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 23, 2022

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

No advice for your problem, but lol I love your username.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Last few days my app has been saying I'm using an outdated... something something, can't read the error message as it's cut off. All apps are up to date. What do I do? Everything seems to work fine other than that occasional error message. It'll pop up a bunch of times then go away for 24+ hours.

Oppo Find X3 Pro (2021 model) running Android 12.

I'm guessing the full message is

quote:

CAN'T CONNECT Your device is trying to use an outdated secure connection! Update "Google Play Services" in the Play Store, and try restarting the app

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sereri posted:

I'm guessing the full message is

Yes! That's it, but I can't as it's not there?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yes! That's it, but I can't as it's not there?

Click on your user icon in the Google Play app, then go to settings, you should be able to scroll down and see the app version and an update option.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the app, really enjoy it :)

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I really enjoy the app, thanks so much for putting it out there!

One question: i think I'm going nutty but incant figure out how to start threads. I'm able to reply to threads and I thought for sure I had started threads with the app before but maybe I didn't. Any ideas what I might be missing?

Thanks again!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It has never been possible to post a new thread with this app.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Midjack posted:

It has never been possible to post a new thread with this app.

awesome! i feel less crazy now. thanks so much!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Captain Hygiene posted:

Click on your user icon in the Google Play app, then go to settings, you should be able to scroll down and see the app version and an update option.

Was already up to date, still getting the error.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What's the reason for no posty thread? I'm working on a Python API and I don't wanna fall into the same pitfall lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

What's the reason for no posty thread? I'm working on a Python API and I don't wanna fall into the same pitfall lol

Ten years ago when the app was first released there was pressure, overt or otherwise, for OPs on something awful dot com to be 10,000 words long and have a bibliography section. The original developer Ferg decided that was annoying to do on the phone so he opted to work on other things and successive developers have had enough other things on their plates that nobody has gotten around to it yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

alexandriao posted:

There's no technical pitfalls to worry about, just a couple extra fields bolted on to the reply form.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unless you gently caress up and people start auto-banning themselves :v:

I think Ferg handed over the app before threads were feasible, and the times of effort threads in popular forums are long gone as well.

The truth is, the development of this app is mostly annoyance-based at this point. If there is something that bothers me (or other people who have contributed), or something actually breaks, or something gets deprecated by Google, it gets fixed. That mostly works when the app is lacking subjectively "important" features or updating Android breaks the app in a way that affects the posting workflow. Most of the time the app works well though, or at least well enough.

Basically I think nobody cared enough about making threads yet to smash all the relevant pieces together that would make it possible to create threads.

:effort:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Any reason why as of today twitter embeds when i click on them open in the web browser (chrome) and no longer in the twitter client (fenix)? p4a and android 12 if that matters. updated all apps, restarted, makes no difference.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawson posted:

Any reason why as of today twitter embeds when i click on them open in the web browser (chrome) and no longer in the twitter client (fenix)? p4a and android 12 if that matters. updated all apps, restarted, makes no difference.

Probably the link associations for Fenix got reset if it updated recently. It's a really dumb thing that Android 12 does.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

hooah posted:

Probably the link associations for Fenix got reset if it updated recently. It's a really dumb thing that Android 12 does.

OK digging around in the default app settings i found twitter links uncheckboxed for fenix. Rechecking them fixed the problem. thank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

The truth is, the development of this app is mostly annoyance-based at this point.

Which is a perfectly fine place for things to be. Thank you for everyone keeping the app maintained, you especially. :worship: