Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I actually bought tickets to go see the new Ghostbusters sequel because I'm a tragic Gen X and things weren't too bad here in Australia when I made the booking but when the day rolled around I went "You know what, this is dumb and I'm pretty sure I can wait another month until this is available online."

I'm quite sad that i didn't get to see Dune in the cinema, seriously thought about going if things had started to decrease where i live but then Omicron appeared and i figured i would rather stay alive than watch a big screen. :shrug:

Herb talk:

Cilantro (strange way to spell coriander but whatever), for me the fresh herb has a slippery/slimy quality and tastes a bit soapy but i have no issues with the dried version.

Do the chemicals involved not survive the drying process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In the US, coriander is the seed.

I can't drink Dr. Pepper anymore. It used to be my favorite soda but I'd drink it while drinking loads of cough syrup when I was addicted to DXM. Now every time I taste it I just taste cough syrup. :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Professor Shark posted:

What makes Creed’s Erolfa so distinctive?

For that matter, why does early morning ocean air (like 4:00-5:00am) smell so good? It’s hard to describe, but until I moved to the Atlantic coastline I’d never smelled it before: it’s like air crack and I literally get into a breathing frenzy when the conditions are right and I can smell it.

Nothing smells like it, though Erolfa is the closest I think I’ve found.

Sea air is the loving best.
I spent a summer in Chicago years ago, and one of my happiest memories of coming home was just standing on the doorstep in the evening just smelling the air.
Chicago was fun but it smells terrible. Nothing but dust in every direction.

vvv Nah, I lived right on N. Marine Drive, Lake Michigan smells like mud. vvv

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 27, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The great lakes smell better than the ocean, the atlantic and med in particular smell awful :colbert:

Also it's only the past few months I've gotten my sense of smell back after covid in 2020 NYC, and I'm all about smells now. Smelling rules. I took it for granted, now I'm obsessed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm pretty sure coke is flavored primarily with a bunch of the brown spices, especially nutmeg.

It's supposed to taste like the kola nut (hence the bit of the name that isn't the bit that everyone tells you about), but they dropped the kola from it even before they dropped the coca bit because it's rare, hard to cultivate, and an utter bitch to consistently extract.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The great lakes smell better than the ocean, the atlantic and med in particular smell awful :colbert:

Also it's only the past few months I've gotten my sense of smell back after covid in 2020 NYC, and I'm all about smells now. Smelling rules. I took it for granted, now I'm obsessed.

It depends on a lot of factors imo: I’ve smelled Atlantic air that has gagged me, depending on the time and location.

Cold, early morning sea air smells amazing. It has a salty menthol-y quality to it.

Edit: Smell Appreciation in the COVID Thread

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Best ocean air is a beach in Kauai

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I didn't bring it up myself, but Dr. Pepper is a spiced cherry flavored carbonated beverage. The main characteristic flavor compound in cherry (real cherries and cherry flavor) is benzaldehyde (same as almonds!). So there can be some flavor connection between cherry cough syrup and Dr. Pepper depending on the flavor used in the cough syrup.

The flavorhouses that make soft drink flavors are the same ones that make cough syrup flavoring. It's all just chemistry.

ETA: I'm a food scientist and I rely on my sense of taste and smell for my career and I am terrified of losing them.

Ohhhhh! I've always felt almond extract smells like black cherry and it was very confusing until now.

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: Smell Appreciation in the COVID Thread

:hmmyes:

General Bullshit > COVID-19: Smell appreciation thread

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Plague House Update!

Older son and Wife are still isolating of course. Wife was pre-symptomatic and now has what I'd call an average cold. Nasal congestion, fatigue, and sore throat, mostly. Older son has been starting to feel better already, and is keeping my wife company.

I had some fatigue yesterday but I think it was just all the anxiety plus sleeping on the couch. No symptoms at all, today. I spit-tested again this morning and will find out tonight if I'm infected yet.

Younger son is also symptom-free and the school is requiring him to return so... That's where he is. I think it's extremely dumb.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I didn't bring it up myself, but Dr. Pepper is a spiced cherry flavored carbonated beverage. The main characteristic flavor compound in cherry (real cherries and cherry flavor) is benzaldehyde (same as almonds!). So there can be some flavor connection between cherry cough syrup and Dr. Pepper depending on the flavor used in the cough syrup.

The flavorhouses that make soft drink flavors are the same ones that make cough syrup flavoring. It's all just chemistry.

ETA: I'm a food scientist and I rely on my sense of taste and smell for my career and I am terrified of losing them.

This is cool. Now tell me why when I try to make a raspberry chocolate torte I lose the raspberry flavor no matter how much chambord I put in.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's supposed to taste like the kola nut (hence the bit of the name that isn't the bit that everyone tells you about), but they dropped the kola from it even before they dropped the coca bit because it's rare, hard to cultivate, and an utter bitch to consistently extract.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Forty_Barrels_%26_Twenty_Kegs_of_Coca-Cola

The US government sued coca cola for false advertising, and coke proved in court they use tiny trace amounts of coca and kola, with all the cocaine removed.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Professor Shark posted:

What makes Creed’s Erolfa so distinctive?

For that matter, why does early morning ocean air (like 4:00-5:00am) smell so good? It’s hard to describe, but until I moved to the Atlantic coastline I’d never smelled it before: it’s like air crack and I literally get into a breathing frenzy when the conditions are right and I can smell it.

Nothing smells like it, though Erolfa is the closest I think I’ve found.

Oh I've never heard of that cologne, I had to look up what it was. Unfortunately I'm not a fragrance scientist!

I live on the Pacific coast and the smell of the ocean is always one of my favorite things.

So I looked it up, that's a marine fragrance and a lot of people say it does smell just like the ocean. And from what I could find, apparently the smell of the ocean is largely characterized by dimethyl sulfide.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2021/07/20/what-gives-ocean-its-wonderful-smell-vile-chemical-15667

DMS is important in a lot of things (it gives berries their distinctive tastes), too. But in higher concentration, it's pretty gnarly.

Oracle posted:

This is cool. Now tell me why when I try to make a raspberry chocolate torte I lose the raspberry flavor no matter how much chambord I put in.

Raspberry is just one of those really difficult flavors to capture in food. Chambord doesn't have a lot of raspberry character, unfortunately. Does the recipe call for raspberry jam?

Also on the cola side, Coca Cola is a combination of seven different flavors: lime, lemon, orange, neroli (orange blossom), cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg. I actually used to work in the same compound where the Coke flavor was blended, that section was protected by crazy amounts of security and 12 foot high razor wire.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tunicate posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Forty_Barrels_%26_Twenty_Kegs_of_Coca-Cola

The US government sued coca cola for false advertising, and coke proved in court they use tiny trace amounts of coca and kola, with all the cocaine removed.
Yes I make sure to add the coca myself for the original taste

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Tunicate posted:

United States v. Forty Barrels & Twenty Kegs of Coca-Cola

I know things like this exist, but this still caught me off guard.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I went and saw Spiderman in a chud state theater and me and my girl were the only masked ones in there lol.

Didn't get covid, it was a good movie. Welp, guess that balances out the other anecdote.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When you wear a mask you’re telling the world you hate the [insert country name here] flag and hate freedom

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raspberry is just one of those really difficult flavors to capture in food. Chambord doesn't have a lot of raspberry character, unfortunately. Does the recipe call for raspberry jam?

It did not, just raspberry liquer, but I do have a bottle of this stuff in raspberry I might try next. Question is how much, they give ratios but its more on an industrial kitchen scale not home and kind of more tailored towards drinks or frosting.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cancel Spotify and listen to Toxor Minimal radio all day

https://www.radio.net/s/toxorsminimal

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Got a Moderna booster yesterday. Sore arm, but nothing crazy.

The hilarious part is while I was waiting, I got a notice from my kid's school that someone in their class has lice. They no longer notify people when someone has COVID-19.

This world doesn't make any loving sense.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well I'm sure they know everyone has it already so no need to notify right? Death and disease is the status quo now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1486773650929831940?s=20

Well it’s not like anyone could’ve predicted it

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

JUST THE FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Well at this point its 20 unvaccinated idiots for every 1 old sick vaccinated person.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

it's probably like 2x that

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The hilarious part is while I was waiting, I got a notice from my kid's school that someone in their class has lice. They no longer notify people when someone has COVID-19.

It does through the lens of "the authorities care most about keeping the economy going and maintaining the illusion of normalcy" :)

There's a paragraph in Das Kapital (Ch 15, section 9) where Marx talks about this wrt tuberculosis. Suffice to say that this sort of thing has been a problem for quite some time:

Marx posted:

...the capitalist mode of production, owing to its very nature, excludes all rational improvement beyond a certain point. It has been stated over and over again that the English doctors are unanimous in declaring that where the work is continuous, 500 cubic feet is the very least space that should be allowed for each person. ... The very root of the capitalist mode of production, i.e., the self-expansion of all capital, large or small, by means of the “free” purchase and consumption of labour-power, would be attacked. Factory legislation is therefore brought to a deadlock before these 500 cubic feet of breathing space. The sanitary officers, the industrial inquiry commissioners, the factory inspectors, all harp, over and over again, upon the necessity for those 500 cubic feet, and upon the impossibility of wringing them out of capital. They thus, in fact, declare that consumption and other lung diseases among the workpeople are necessary conditions to the existence of capital.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How are u posted:

Well at this point its 20 unvaccinated idiots for every 1 old sick vaccinated person.

This variant

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Finally out of isolation for my own covid infection. I was going to hit the gym last week, so I took a rapid test first to make sure I was clear (I've been stockpiling rapid tests so that I can basically do snapshot testing whenever I need to go somewhere around other people). Alas, it popped positive. I ended up having a few minor symptoms (a headache that was about on par with what I had after getting my booster) that went away quickly, and stayed in isolation until I finally tested negative. How did those test results go? Well, here's the journey:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Finally out of isolation for my own covid infection. I was going to hit the gym last week, so I took a rapid test first to make sure I was clear (I've been stockpiling rapid tests so that I can basically do snapshot testing whenever I need to go somewhere around other people). Alas, it popped positive. I ended up having a few minor symptoms (a headache that was about on par with what I had after getting my booster) that went away quickly, and stayed in isolation until I finally tested negative. How did those test results go? Well, here's the journey:

Does having a negative test mean you're not actually contagious, or does it just mean the test is not detecting Covid?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

drat what happened on 1/25 did you give yourself a nosebleed when you swabbed?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm more curious as to where the hell you got all those tests?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Does having a negative test mean you're not actually contagious, or does it just mean the test is not detecting Covid?

The latter. LFTs are fairly insensitive and you can definitely have enough virus in your system to spread with a negative, but it's fairly unlikely that you're still contagious with a negative at the end of an infection, particularly a very mild one. Current UK guidance is two negative tests on consecutive days to be sure, but that's as much about the likelihood of false negatives as to do with the likelihood of still being contagious - although I do realise UK guidance maybe isn't the *best* baseline.

(Props to OP for apparently well-disciplined testing though; the biggest cause of false negatives is people not doing the test properly, to get that run of positives at least proves your brain-scraping skills are excellent)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's not exactly a useful metric of contagiousness, no. You still need to isolate for (whatever period is mandated), of course, but exactly how contagious could you be while still testing positive after 7 days? Who knows.

Nevertheless an interesting experiment, if you have the test kits to spare. I would have just saved them for later and gone out after the week had passed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that seems kinda wasteful.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

coronatae posted:

drat what happened on 1/25 did you give yourself a nosebleed when you swabbed?

Yeah, little bit.

Hollismason posted:

https://ihealthlabs.com - Which was recommended somewhere earlier in this thread. They now limit orders to 5 packs (each pack has 2 tests) at a time, but back in December they were allowing larger orders. I just put in another order for 5 packs the day before this happened, which got delivered yesterday. Theoretically, my 4 government tests will also arrive eventually.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

How are u posted:

or someone with cancer, or kidney disease, or someone with aids, or someone on immune suppressants. There's this persistent myth that the only vaccinated people with severe outcomes are 95 year old obese people. With no risk factors, yes, you're most likely going to be fine if vaccinated, but there's a lot of risk factors, and not all of them are visible or even known to the person.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

enki42 posted:

or someone with cancer, or kidney disease, or someone with aids, or someone on immune suppressants. There's this persistent myth that the only vaccinated people with severe outcomes are 95 year old obese people. With no risk factors, yes, you're most likely going to be fine if vaccinated, but there's a lot of risk factors, and not all of them are visible or even known to the person.

Well I'm not one of those in one of those pools so I'm pretty confident the vaccine is going to ensure I'm just fine. I'm not going to spend my life worrying about what happens if i suddenly get kidney disease and then get covid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Respond with an angry note about how lice don't kill people and that it's every parents right to let their kids bring lice to school and you are going to report the school for violating the hippo act

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any half-face 3M respirators that have a diaphragm so people can hear what you're saying? I've been happily wearing the full-face model with diaphragm for 2 years now and people can hear me clearly, but my boyfriend and parents are not going to go for that. I got my parents to wear the half-face and the main complaint last time was they'd have to pull it away a bit so cashiers etc. could make out anything they said.

edit: Only model I can find are these, but they don't take the circular filters I already have and instead use a weird click-thing? https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Half-Mask-Respirator-55MY59

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 28, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Zugzwang posted:

It does through the lens of "the authorities care most about keeping the economy going and maintaining the illusion of normalcy" :)

There's a paragraph in Das Kapital (Ch 15, section 9) where Marx talks about this wrt tuberculosis. Suffice to say that this sort of thing has been a problem for quite some time:

I've heard a lot about this book, is it worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any half-face 3M respirators that have a diaphragm so people can hear what you're saying? I've been happily wearing the full-face model with diaphragm for 2 years now and people can hear me clearly, but my boyfriend and parents are not going to go for that. I got my parents to wear the half-face and the main complaint last time was they'd have to pull it away a bit so cashiers etc. could make out anything they said.

edit: Only model I can find are these, but they don't take the circular filters I already have and instead use a weird click-thing? https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Half-Mask-Respirator-55MY59

The only 3M half mask with a voice diaphragm is the HF-800 series, which is also the only half mask that takes their “Secure Click” cartridges.

Some goons like this model. I don’t. It’s heavy, it pinches my nose, and the Secure Click cartridge format limits the availability of cartridges with no advantages for particulate filters. It’s a different story for gas cartridges, where the format allows for greater surface area and greater breathability.

Honeywell makes a worse half mask with a voice diaphragm, the RU8500.

MSA makes the Advantage 900, with a voice diaphragm and filtered exhalation. I haven’t used it, but there are a couple goons out there who have.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 28, 2022