Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ogopogo posted:

Good news! Our Miyokos rep let us gently caress with a sample of their new vegan mozzarella that’s nut free completely. They’re hoping to expand the nut free cheeses they offer, as they know it’s an issue with people with nut allergies. Keep an eye out in a month or two for new product to hit the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I was getting all jazzed about a new vegan cheese to try and just noticed miyoko is oat milk based which causes me all the same problems lactose does.

:(

The cheese wheels from Miyoko's don't have any oats, if you haven't tried those. A little trickier to find than the blocks, though.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

This is the best thing ever and teaches me to not post past my bed time.

Pulling out my C&H books now, thank you!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

My girlfriend came back from a trip from Wisconsin and of course brought back a bunch of tasty cheese. One of those was a German cheese called biercasen (sp?) we opened it up and it was the foulest thing I had ever smelled, it was like there was a legit rotting corpse in my house. I tried it and yep, it tasted like a rotting corpse. I threw that poo poo in the creek. Only cheese I have met that I was not cool with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How do you know what a rotting corpse smells like? :pwn:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Look up Casu Marzu

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And not the poster by that name

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Look up Casu Marzu

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Look up Casu Marzu
I advise against this.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Look up Casu Marzu

A shame it's pretty expensive to import to the usa.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

A shame it's pretty expensive to import to the usa.
You'd have to smuggle it, wouldn't you? It's not legal to sell anywhere (since the maggots have a chance of burrowing into your intestines and whatnot).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I looked it up and it was described as having a powerful smell, full flavor. Smear ripened. I will look for it!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

I looked it up and it was described as having a powerful smell, full flavor. Smear ripened. I will look for it!

You'll have to find a black marketeer in Sardinia then

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
And an Ivermectin chaser, just to be safe.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does the taste really outweigh the smell and the legality of having it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Does the taste really outweigh the smell and the legality of having it?

Who knows!

The problem is that the maggots are live, and eating the cheese could cause them to infest your digestive system and eat you from inside out. Some people eat the cheese by killing the maggots via suffocation (putting the cheese into a paper bag and eating when the popcorn popping sound of maggots launching themselves into the paper stops), but REAL connoisseurs eat it worms and all.

Remember, this is pecorino romano that has been allowed to be infected with maggots and left to turn rancid as the larvae eat the cheese and poo poo in it. I can almost guarantee the flavor is not something a sane person would want.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 28, 2022

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
here's a question to all my cheesmonger peeps: I haven't been able to get ahold of Jacobs & Brichford's Briana recently, how is it this year?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Who knows!

The problem is that the maggots are live, and eating the cheese could cause them to infest your digestive system and eat you from inside out. Some people eat the cheese by killing the maggots via suffocation (putting the cheese into a paper bag and eating when the popcorn popping sound of maggots launching themselves into the paper stops), but REAL connoisseurs eat it worms and all.

Remember, this is pecorino romano that has been allowed to be infected with maggots and left to turn rancid as the larvae eat the cheese and poo poo in it. I can almost guarantee the flavor is not something a sane person would want.

Something my Dad probably would've sampled.

He brought home from Iceland (to Switzerland) this can of "sour herring." Now, my mother took one look at this visibly bulging can and said, "No loving way you're putting a can opener on it in here."

So we took it out to the adjacent field like it was UXB and opened it there.

Will never forget him squeezing the can opener, followed by this loud HSSSSSS and after that it gets a bit hazy because the smell could knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.

When we got done retching, we buried it on the spot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are videos of families opening surstromming in the backyard, I need to find those now

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 29, 2022

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

You'll have to find a black marketeer in Sardinia then

Biercheese, not wirmcheese! Eeep. I don't share my food.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Data Graham posted:

There are videos of families opening surstromming in the backyard, I need to find those now

In the car. Accept no substitute.

https://youtu.be/osIJJS6PHUA

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I have a historical cheese question.

I was telling a coworker the other day about the Jackson Cheese (which doesn't have its own Wikipedia page), forgetting that it was actually inspired by a cheese given to Jefferson (the Cheshire Mammoth Cheese, which does). The thing is, coming from a modern perspective, being used to store-bought cheddar, my coworker just sort of assumed that such a huge amount of un-refrigerated cheese would be moldy and inedible after a short while. But the Cheshire Mammoth Cheese was presented to Jefferson on January 1, 1802 and was still around by the time of a public dinner on July 4, 1803. The Jackson Cheese (I forget if it had a distinct name; I know it from a podcast episode) was also kept for months or years before being fully eaten.

So talk to me about these cheeses. How would they keep for over a year? How much is the answer to that question just the fact that they were loving huge, and any part that spoiled might've just been on the exterior and could be carved off to reveal an edible interior? But also, apart from the spoilage question: What might've they been like? As cheeses, how should I be thinking of them, compared to current cheeses I might try? (I'd say "I might know" if I actually knew anything about cheese.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mmm just got 6 pounds of violife vegan cream cheese on sale from food service direct. Good thing it turned out to be great. None of the off flavors some brands have and a perfect smooth texture, not as decadently creamy or quite as thick as real cream cheese but still awfully good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vavrek posted:

I have a historical cheese question.

I was telling a coworker the other day about the Jackson Cheese (which doesn't have its own Wikipedia page), forgetting that it was actually inspired by a cheese given to Jefferson (the Cheshire Mammoth Cheese, which does). The thing is, coming from a modern perspective, being used to store-bought cheddar, my coworker just sort of assumed that such a huge amount of un-refrigerated cheese would be moldy and inedible after a short while. But the Cheshire Mammoth Cheese was presented to Jefferson on January 1, 1802 and was still around by the time of a public dinner on July 4, 1803. The Jackson Cheese (I forget if it had a distinct name; I know it from a podcast episode) was also kept for months or years before being fully eaten.

So talk to me about these cheeses. How would they keep for over a year? How much is the answer to that question just the fact that they were loving huge, and any part that spoiled might've just been on the exterior and could be carved off to reveal an edible interior? But also, apart from the spoilage question: What might've they been like? As cheeses, how should I be thinking of them, compared to current cheeses I might try? (I'd say "I might know" if I actually knew anything about cheese.)

My understanding is it didn't keep that long. I think I remember accounts talking about how it go smellier as the months went on and Jackson was desperate for people to get rid of it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrYenko posted:

In the car. Accept no substitute.

https://youtu.be/osIJJS6PHUA

As soon as I saw the can, I had flashbacks and started breathing through my mouth.

Props to whatever diety or power tried to keep the can-opener blade stuck in the knife. You tried.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 31, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vavrek posted:

I mean, if you're asking about aged cheddar (granted, aged in wax, not once opened) - half decade aged cheddar exists, https://blackrivercheese.com/products/naturally-aged-cheddars/5-year-aged-cheddar is a random example, and generally they're pretty tasty ;p

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I mean, if you're asking about aged cheddar (granted, aged in wax, not once opened) - half decade aged cheddar exists, https://blackrivercheese.com/products/naturally-aged-cheddars/5-year-aged-cheddar is a random example, and generally they're pretty tasty ;p

We have a 10 year aged cheddar and it slaps

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We've got cans of Cougar Gold cheddar aging in the fridge right now... two from 2016, one 2017, one 2018. Can't wait to crack into one and enjoy that crystalization.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

I wanna find something with those :siren:CHEESE CRYSTALS:siren:

I'm a fan of Milton Creamery's Prairie Breeze for this. 9 month aged white cheddar that forms calcium crystals so it's a little crumbly, a little crunchy, and nicely sharp. One of my faves on rye crispbread.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus, that sounds amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You can get Cougar Gold shipped to your door. Put it straight in the fridge when it gets there.

There's a stamp on the top of the can that tells you when it was made (and the name of the person who made it). It should already be at least a year old by the time you get it, but the longer you keep it, the more crystals you're going to get.

http://cougarcheese.wsu.edu/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pham Nuwen posted:

You can get Cougar Gold shipped to your door. Put it straight in the fridge when it gets there.

There's a stamp on the top of the can that tells you when it was made (and the name of the person who made it). It should already be at least a year old by the time you get it, but the longer you keep it, the more crystals you're going to get.

With a site like that the cheese must be good. Thank you for the link.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well looks like I know where I'm going next time I visit friends up in Washington.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cougar gold is off the hook.

I think Petite Basque is maybe the perfect snacking cheese. Mellow but interesting, dense and creamy but still sliceable, and the tiny wheels are adorable.

I'm also a complete sucker for Cotswold because I like a cheese that tastes like Pringles.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Well looks like I know where I'm going next time I visit friends up in Washington.

It's a really cool program. Student workers all the way from the WSU dairy farm (my sister worked there during vet school) to the WSU Creamery to the call center, ice cream shop, and fulfillment center. I haven't been to the WSU campus since high school... I ought to make a visit some time too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

WHY IS THE CAN SMOKING

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MrYenko posted:

WHY IS THE CAN SMOKING

Cougars are hot, bro

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have to ask for the story behind the BestMayo gangtag.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I have to ask for the story behind the BestMayo gangtag.

The PYF horrible foods thread got on a thing about mayo, and so I helped start and manage a mod challenge to make mayo by hand. Everyone who participated had 7 days to make mayo or get banned (? Don't remember the consequences), and if you succeeded you got this gang tag I made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Man, I wish I knew about that as I occasionally make my own mayonnaise & I need more stupid gangtags.