Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The problem is, your TV has tone mapping built into it with your TV's capabilities in mind to properly show HDR10 and by letting a player do it by converting to Dolby Vision, you are tossing that out the window.

It may not matter a ton. It depends on how good the tone mapping is to begin with on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a travel streaming stick, something to take with me and plug in to hotel TV's. I'm only using it for Plex/Twitch/Youtube. Fire Stick? Google TV? Roku? Something else? I'm an iOS user and use an AppleTV at home so I'm not in an Amazon/Google ecosystem. 4k and HDR are probably not that relevant considering I don't quite know the TV I'm going to use it with.

If there's a different thread I can ask there.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 25, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Honestly any of those are fine, though my go to is to just bring an HDMI cable to attach my laptop to the TV or a USB-C to HDMI for my phone rather than bringing another device.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a travel streaming stick, something to take with me and plug in to hotel TV's. I'm only using it for Plex/Twitch/Youtube. Fire Stick? Google TV? Roku? Something else? I'm an iOS user and use an AppleTV at home so I'm not in an Amazon/Google ecosystem. 4k and HDR are probably not that relevant considering I don't quite know the TV I'm going to use it with.

If there's a different thread I can ask there.

I use the Roku Express HD which is the most basic Roku they make. With hotel stuff you kinda want lowest common denominator. Low power draw, 2.4ghz support, a flexible HDMI cable or adapter for TVs in tight spaces. Also make sure to get something with a physical remote, you may not be able to connect to it over Wi-Fi with your phone. I don’t like Amazon devices so I don’t know hat their offerings are.

Last hotel I stayed at was a recently built one and they really didn’t want people plugging poo poo into the TV. All side HDMI ports were removed and they encased the back ports in a wall mounted box. Their solution was to use your personal Netflix credentials on the TV or whatever box they use themselves. :rolleyes:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 25, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The most important thing to me for hotel use is the ability to get through the weird wifi portals they use, the Roku can definitely do that. I’m not sure about other systems.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The LG A1 has a few compromises if you're a hardcore gamer cinephile but at just shy of $800 for the 48" model it might be the ultimate Bedroom TV

E: Tomsguide Affiliate Link

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

FilthyImp posted:

The LG A1 has a few compromises if you're a hardcore gamer cinephile but at just shy of $800 for the 48" model it might be the ultimate Bedroom TV

E: Tomsguide Affiliate Link

I think it’s 60hz and doesn’t do VRR so yeah, probably a great bedroom TV. I got the C1 for the same price refurb’d on Black Friday and it’s kind of a waste. I mean it’s amazing, but I don’t use the fancy poo poo on it. The A1 is a solid call IMO

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I really really like my Sony A8H but for some reason HDR/DV content is very dim. I can gently caress with the gamma and contrast settings only so much to deal with this. It's a choice between dim and very artificial looking. My parents' LG OLED does not seem to have this problem. Googling it, appears I'm not the only one. 1080p content looks awesome.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Costco has a 75" LG for $850 with a $50 gift card bonus. I have a $400 gift card, so I would only pay $450.
https://www.costco.com/.product.100796935.html?&EMID=B2C_2022_0124_FebMailerStarts

Talk me out of this purchase. I currently have a 55", I almost never watch any 4K content. 99% of my watching is Plex, Youtube, Netflix.

Would it transfer my living room into a movie theater like experience? Or not worth the money?

Please don’t buy an edge-lit TV in TYOOL 2022.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

EL BROMANCE posted:

The most important thing to me for hotel use is the ability to get through the weird wifi portals they use, the Roku can definitely do that. I’m not sure about other systems.

I used to bring a Chromecast and a TP Link travel router. The travel router would connect to the hotel wifi and my phone and chromecast would connect to the TP Link. Worked great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG C1 $1297 shipped plus $50 Visa gift card.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Some of the more business oriented hotels I was going to in the before times actually started integrating Chromecast into their rooms. Your wifi credentials put you on a segmented network for just your room and the chromecast for that room is sitting on that network. No muss, no fuss. No worries about deleting credentials or doing captive portals. You just connect your phone to your hotel wifi and then cast whatever you wanted.

Only thing I didn't like is they had access to settings locked out and motion interpolation was on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whoops, wrong thread.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

motion interpolation was on.

What hotel was this so I can make sure I stay at it exclusively from now on, particularly when I'm planning on watching TV during my visit

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bull3964 posted:

Only thing I didn't like is they had access to settings locked out and motion interpolation was on.

0 stars

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I did actually mention it in the post checkout survey.

codo27 posted:

What hotel was this so I can make sure I stay at it exclusively from now on, particularly when I'm planning on watching TV during my visit

No, I will not enable self harm.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 26, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
77” LG C1 is down to ~$2700 this week. I’m hoping to see it at $2,400 next week otherwise I’m snagging it at Costco with the extra warranty for $2,800.

I would have liked to get the 83” but that premium isn’t worth the screen size difference IMO

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

tehinternet posted:

77” LG C1 is down to ~$2700 this week. I’m hoping to see it at $2,400 next week otherwise I’m snagging it at Costco with the extra warranty for $2,800.

I would have liked to get the 83” but that premium isn’t worth the screen size difference IMO

Where are you seeing ~$2700? I'm only seeing $2899.99 (Costco, Best Buy) and $2896.99 (Amazon, B&H).

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Does anyone know if Costco would match online deals like the one posted earlier? https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/530390?c_id=6148&u_id=67424549&d=012622

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

The 77" A80J is $2900 at B&H, and depending on usage at that price point you might find it preferable. I totally agree on the diminishing returns going to 83", too, it commands a high premium.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's a recommended budget 43" tv for gaming these days? I don't need 120hz.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the C1 looks fuuuuuuucking amazing. I am extremely happy with this purchase. I’m guessing there’s no way to change the home screen and get rid of…..well, most of it? Cos they wanna pump those ads into my eyeballs and whatever

e: ok I can get read of the ad banner bit but google says the trending bar is there forever :(

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 27, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh my god the C1 looks fuuuuuuucking amazing. I am extremely happy with this purchase. I’m guessing there’s no way to change the home screen and get rid of…..well, most of it? Cos they wanna pump those ads into my eyeballs and whatever

e: ok I can get read of the ad banner bit but google says the trending bar is there forever :(

Welcome to the future.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

There's some way to make it start up to a generic "no input found" screen. You can turn off the little art gallery it shows too. Check some youtube videos.

So far I've been able to turn off most of the annoying stuff. It's just been hidden behind secret button combos on the remote.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

There's some way to make it start up to a generic "no input found" screen. You can turn off the little art gallery it shows too. Check some youtube videos.

So far I've been able to turn off most of the annoying stuff. It's just been hidden behind secret button combos on the remote.

The thing is I don’t even mind the home screen that much. I just wish the apps and inputs were the things at the top, instead of being below some useless banners and a trending bar I’ll never use. The inputs bar isn’t even fully visible until you scroll down which is ridiculous

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

The thing is I don’t even mind the home screen that much. I just wish the apps and inputs were the things at the top, instead of being below some useless banners and a trending bar I’ll never use. The inputs bar isn’t even fully visible until you scroll down which is ridiculous

Meh, I haven't seen the home screen on mine since last summer. You don't need it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's a recommended budget 43" tv for gaming these days? I don't need 120hz.

Samsung Q60 is the only qled at that size afaik. No local dimming. i think rtings poo-poo'd the panel uniformity though. I don't remember.
TCL 4 series also comes in 43", but I don't know if they're qled or not.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 27, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Samsung Q60 is the only qled at that size afaik. No local dimming. i think rtings poo-poo'd the panel uniformity though. I don't remember.
TCL 4 series also comes in 43", but I don't know if they're qled or not.

Thanks I’ll probably go with a TCL 4 series again. I had one before and it was great to me. I don’t even know what qled is.:downs:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

McCracAttack posted:

Meh, I haven't seen the home screen on mine since last summer. You don't need it.
Same, and you can just assign quick access buttons to any apps or inputs you want without having to go to the home screen or any menus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

Same, and you can just assign quick access buttons to any apps or inputs you want without having to go to the home screen or any menus.

Looks like I have some research to do!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks I’ll probably go with a TCL 4 series again. I had one before and it was great to me. I don’t even know what qled is.:downs:

It's a different method of color filtering that allows more light through, can provide a wider color gamut, and is usually more accurate (read: easier to calibrate). The q60 is the entry model though, and Samsung quality and features get kinda dire below the 8 series.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have a TCL 4 series 43” (S435 model) in my bedroom. It’s a very basic, 4K 60 Hz panel but perfectly competent if that’s what you’re looking for. The HDR is almost nonexistent though since it doesn’t get very bright and is edge-lit.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm looking at new TVs for the first time in 10 years; thanks for updating the OP, it was really useful. My main 42" 3d tv isn't really appropriate for the room it's in now, too small and it has really bad reflections / glare. I'm talking about < 10' viewing distance, so realistically, I'd probably be happy with any modern 55" tv, but there's so many choices to consider.

A few questions:
  • When TVs list a 3.5mm audio out in their specs, that's a headphone jack, right? Can I just attach that to my old stereo directly and have volume controlled by the TV? I have an optical / DAC converter on my current TV - but its RCA out causes some problems with my stereo.
  • How bad is off-angle viewing with a VA panel? With my current layout, occasionally someone would watch at 35-40 degrees. I can live with skin tones looking a little off as long as its not silly.
  • When someone talks about OLED screen lifetimes, that's just the active lifetime, right?
  • Are there any modern "future-proofing" features that I should be thinking about? Don't really care about surround sound technologies or high-refresh gaming, but would HDMI 2.1 or native 120hz input be useful for connecting to streaming boxes a few years from now?

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 28, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

and Samsung quality and features get kinda dire below the 8 series.
Also for sizes below 55"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Frequenting threads like this makes me question the very nature of the internet forum. OPs quickly become obsolete or ineffective, we need stickies that appear at the top of every page to cut down on "what x should I buy" questions. You can still have the discourse for the more intricate details but the same questions that are asked daily should have their answers provided more readily

This isn't a diss to the poster above, like I said its just the nature of the forum. (yes 3.5mm is aux out, not sure about volume control though, wide angle viewing is blown out of proportion and not much of a real concern, obviously it is active lifetime and no there is no future proofing you should be considering unless you are hardcore into gaming in which case you would probably already know about things like high/variable refresh rates/HDMI 2.1)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Space Racist posted:

I have a TCL 4 series 43” (S435 model) in my bedroom. It’s a very basic, 4K 60 Hz panel but perfectly competent if that’s what you’re looking for. The HDR is almost nonexistent though since it doesn’t get very bright and is edge-lit.

That’s fine. I honestly don’t really care for HDR anyways.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Frequenting threads like this makes me question the very nature of the internet forum. OPs quickly become obsolete or ineffective, we need stickies that appear at the top of every page to cut down on "what x should I buy" questions. You can still have the discourse for the more intricate details but the same questions that are asked daily should have their answers provided more readily

This isn't a diss to the poster above, like I said its just the nature of the forum. (yes 3.5mm is aux out, not sure about volume control though, wide angle viewing is blown out of proportion and not much of a real concern, obviously it is active lifetime and no there is no future proofing you should be considering unless you are hardcore into gaming in which case you would probably already know about things like high/variable refresh rates/HDMI 2.1)

I get what you’re saying, but the only semi-alternative is Reddit and that’s not really an alternative at all being as it’s upvote based.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

codo27 posted:

I have to admit I didn't think about checking the OP right away and it was a pleasant surprise to see that it was up to date.
As far as future-proofing I'm just trying to imagine some scenario where 120hz input matters to me. Some new motion interpolation gets invented in the future or high refresh broadcasting for sports.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But sports is already the correct motion. Its everything else that needs to catch up, which is why we've had motion interpolation for 10 years or whatever and we must all hail its greatness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Baby Proof posted:

I have to admit I didn't think about checking the OP right away and it was a pleasant surprise to see that it was up to date.
As far as future-proofing I'm just trying to imagine some scenario where 120hz input matters to me. Some new motion interpolation gets invented in the future or high refresh broadcasting for sports.

I personally think it’s only going to be useful for gaming. There are a handful of films that are native to 4K/120Hz, but I’m not aware of any current or upcoming home distribution methods that support anything above 4K/60Hz. And given how negatively audiences have responded to films in frame rates higher than 24p I’d be surprised if we see too many more of those. (Personally I’ve enjoyed the couple of 60p films I’ve seen, but I don’t think it’s a good fit for every genre)

That said, gaming in 120 Hz is pretty sweet so do check it out if you have the opportunity.