Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mauser posted:

it's not surprising that this man appears to be unfamiliar with every aspect of tomatoes, from how much you charge for one tomato to the concept of seeds.

To the concept of hybrids, which is what you're growing if you're growing tomatoes in bulk. A hybrid tomato is resistant to the diseases that you may get with a single plant, but will certainly get if you're growing a field. And hybrids famously do not come true from seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
A king once challenged a wise sage to a chess match, and agreed to the sage’s requested payment should he beat the king; one tomato seed on the first chess square, and double the amount of seeds on the second square, and double the prior square on each subsequent square. After losing, the king quickly realized just how many tomato seeds he owed the sage due to the law of squares! The sage quickly became the richest man in the lands as the king attempted to pay off his impossible debt.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yo, how many tomatoes seeds for a dime bag?

*gets shot*

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

why do rich white dudes concoct weird business models to get money? just to prove they can?
just sit back and get everything handed down from your parents like a normal trust fund rear end in a top hat, its so much easier

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dungeon Ecology posted:

why do rich white dudes concoct weird business models to get money? just to prove they can?
just sit back and get everything handed down from your parents like a normal trust fund rear end in a top hat, its so much easier

a lot of those dudes are delusional regular schmoes too

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

35 chickens rightly need a lot of space. That’s a big-rear end coop and, if you’re doing it right, another big chunk of land for a run and/or free-ranging area. In addition to the half-acre of land.

Also I guess crops grow with zero resources. You just plant them and they’re all good. Four million free tomatoes. I can’t believe everyone is too stupid to just do this

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

freeedr posted:

35 chickens rightly need a lot of space. That’s a big-rear end coop and, if you’re doing it right, another big chunk of land for a run and/or free-ranging area. In addition to the half-acre of land.

Also I guess crops grow with zero resources. You just plant them and they’re all good. Four million free tomatoes. I can’t believe everyone is too stupid to just do this

I mean, if you're in an area that naturally gets enough rain, plants will just grow themselves if you spread them out ideally. This doesn't make his idea any less stupid though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Use $50 to buy 10 tomato plants.
In 6 months you have 250 tomatoes.
Plant those into 250 plants.
In 6 months you have 0 tomatoes because you were trying to grow tomatoes in winter.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A penny that doubles itself every day would be a horrible curse. How could you ever spend any of it? Anybody you give one to now also has a duplicating penny, the entire concept of currency would be destroyed in a month's time, and the entire physical world would shortly follow, as a deluge of coins swallows both the land and sea.

In three months the pennies would outweigh the mass of the earth itself. Six months after that they would eclipse the known universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

flavor.flv posted:

A penny that doubles itself every day would be a horrible curse. How could you ever spend any of it? Anybody you give one to now also has a duplicating penny, the entire concept of currency would be destroyed in a month's time, and the entire physical world would shortly follow, as a deluge of coins swallows both the land and sea.

In three months the pennies would outweigh the mass of the earth itself. Six months after that they would eclipse the known universe

That actually happened and caused massive inflation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansa_Musa#Islam_and_pilgrimage_to_Mecca

quote:

Because of his nature of giving, Musa's massive spending and generous donations created a massive ten year gold recession. In the cities of Cairo, Medina, and Mecca, the sudden influx of gold devalued the metal significantly. Prices of goods and wares became greatly inflated. This mistake became apparent to Musa and on his way back from Mecca,

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nottherealaborn posted:

A king once challenged a wise sage to a chess match, and agreed to the sage’s requested payment should he beat the king; one tomato seed on the first chess square, and double the amount of seeds on the second square, and double the prior square on each subsequent square. After losing, the king quickly realized just how many tomato seeds he owed the sage due to the law of squares! The sage quickly became the richest man in the lands as the king attempted to pay off his impossible debt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuP1gyj3W64

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
"Borrow" $5 million from your parents.
Use the money to buy a tomato farm, and to hire staff who are experienced enough to run it largely without the need for any input from yourself.
Use the rest of the money on an elaborate and largely tangential marketing campaign, preferably one which extols the social-justice credentials of your tomatoes (I'm thinking a gay couple planting a tomato plant with the slogan 'LOVE BLOOMS').
Exploit economies of scale to drive local tomato growers out of business.
Abuse your de facto monopoly by imposing convoluted payment schemes on your customers (e.g. replace the notion of buying a tomato with the notion of subscribing to a tomato plant on a monthly basis).
Make a killing on the ipo as your old class-mates in the media and credulous twitter fanboys wax breathlessly about how you've changed the tomato market forever.
Trademark tomatoes and refuse to allow farmers in third world countries to grow them independently, but then give them access to tomato 'microloans' and bask in the media coverage which lauds your novel approach to solving world hunger.
Give a series of lectures about how old tomato-growing paradigms are being eclipsed at breakneck speed, and write a book about how anyone could become a tomato billionaire if only they had the courage to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and follow their dreams.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

BirdOfPlay posted:

This guy has a pinned tweet talking about his dream of sexy cowboys raising all the livestock on common land. These sexy cowboys ship the meat to the cities in massive trains. These trains then return loaded with money that is immediately burned.

Also, he only thinks grass and legumes should be grown? Because annual crops just don't make sense.

Zoux, you found an absolute wild one today. Unsure if Pol Pot is a fair comparison, though. This cat, like several people that follow him, are explicitly, and very strongly, Christian. Like, he prefers an old as hell Catholic translation of the Bible that I had to look up. So, he might be a tradcath, too?

Seriously, don't miss out on this thread:
https://twitter.com/ploughmansfolly/status/1467509747700150275

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You'd only need a quarter acre per ten people if we as a nation hadn't decided that every grocery store must have 5 foot piles of every fruit and vegetable on display at all times

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Non Fungible Tomatoes, let's go

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flavor.flv posted:

Of all the random TV that exists, this was actually a ​Ducktales episode.

Fake edit: Looked it up, and it's called "Dough Ray Me" for those curious. The solution was to steal all the money back.

Legit though, this galaxy brain take to own a leftist from the quoted thread in the quoted thread is :discourse:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ploughmansfolly/status/1467116329379450883

"How can it be it be good for workers if the workers aren't needed*!?!?"

*in the legitimately hard labor that is farm work, which most find to be undesirable.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

proclick this guy

having all the swords really simplifies any puzzle

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that our future gamer president?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

BirdOfPlay posted:

Of all the random TV that exists, this was actually a ​Ducktales episode.

Fake edit: Looked it up, and it's called "Dough Ray Me" for those curious. The solution was to steal all the money back.

Legit though, this galaxy brain take to own a leftist from the quoted thread in the quoted thread is :discourse:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ploughmansfolly/status/1467116329379450883

"How can it be it be good for workers if the workers aren't needed*!?!?"

*in the legitimately hard labor that is farm work, which most find to be undesirable.

PYF Tweets: Sweatie, have you been to a large scale farm lately?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sweatie is what theyre gonna call you after you hand pick 3.9m tomatoes

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
That tradcath farmer dude is insane but the Jacobin acticle he's doing his nut about is arguably even less grounded in reality but that's to be expected from Jacobin nowadays tbh

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gnome de plume posted:

proclick this guy

having all the swords really simplifies any puzzle

Should've asked for one sword on the first day, doubled to two swords on the second day,

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Large Testicles posted:

I mean, if you're in an area that naturally gets enough rain, plants will just grow themselves if you spread them out ideally. This doesn't make his idea any less stupid though.

There speaks a man who has never weeded a tomato bed in 80 degree weather. Or Rototilled it in the spring. Or fertilized it. Or sprayed it with fungicides. Or put up Japanese beetle traps.

Gardening isn't "stick the plant in the ground and walk away" magic. Gardening is brutally hard labor in all weathers, and constantly at risk of disasters you have no control over. Joe McJohnson, with no gardening experience, is not going to raise a significant amount of food on his one-acre lot, because gardening/farming is an actual learned skill.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I like the idea of a perpetual growing season. We should try to make the world warmer so we don’t have winters anymore. Non fungible tomatoes will make us all millionaires!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, farming your way to riches sounds so easy. No wonder farmers all retire as billionaires.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

lets just affix massive thrusters to one longitudinal line on the earth and fire them every so often so we can slowly nudge the earth's elliptical pattern into a perfect circle.

i can see no problem with this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Man, farming your way to riches sounds so easy. No wonder farmers all retire as billionaires.

The fact that they don't is just an indicator that there's a market there for me, a mediocre STEM major, to disrupt!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JohnWascavage/status/1487136567663767557?s=20&t=Z1Ckv8H6O_ahWM7wUfrnpQ

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Oh I didn't have to look too hard, he's part of today's ensemble cast.

Give a man a tomato and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to farm tomatoes and you condemn him to a slow and laborious death attempting to rid himself of an insurmountable and ever-expanding pile of tomatoes.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There speaks a man who has never weeded a tomato bed in 80 degree weather. Or Rototilled it in the spring. Or fertilized it. Or sprayed it with fungicides. Or put up Japanese beetle traps.

Gardening isn't "stick the plant in the ground and walk away" magic. Gardening is brutally hard labor in all weathers, and constantly at risk of disasters you have no control over. Joe McJohnson, with no gardening experience, is not going to raise a significant amount of food on his one-acre lot, because gardening/farming is an actual learned skill.

I didn't say you'd get good results but nature is nature dude. Plants will just grow if you leave them to their own devices most of the time and aren't trying to like grow blueberries in a desert.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Large Testicles posted:

I didn't say you'd get good results but nature is nature dude. Plants will just grow if you leave them to their own devices most of the time and aren't trying to like grow blueberries in a desert.

Not only will plantlife survive if left alone, it has the wherewithal to not provide humans enough sustenance to flourish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I like the idea of a perpetual growing season. We should try to make the world warmer so we don’t have winters anymore. Non fungible tomatoes will make us all millionaires!

Making the world warmer makes the tomatoes more fungi able.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Philippe posted:

If one in ten Americans had a pig-iron furnace in their back yard,

we'd be overrun by swarms of 30-50 ferrous hogs?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Nm can’t read haha

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Jan 29, 2022

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

All these "grind and hustle" people don't understand concepts

Didnt need to be so long.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

a lot of those dudes are delusional regular schmoes too

Yeah the hustle set are usually poor dudes playing hard into the "fake it till you make it" idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

:golfclap:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Zetsubou-san posted:

:drat:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MelissaOng69420/status/1487198779669319680

https://twitter.com/autogynefiles/status/1487217428996182016

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/1486906622525984769

https://twitter.com/ImogenWK/status/1487053912423247876

https://twitter.com/fakemegryan1/status/1486854507162001409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr