Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I also think it is a pretty ugly game outside of some great sprite work sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm going to give it a try sometime over the weekend just to get myself set up for SNES emulation.

my shmup experience as a kid was all gradius 3 and darius twin, which feels like the exception in terms of visual design. most of them seem to be simple and stylized like 1942, sky kid and squoon or else kind of bland "you're in space" like alpha mission.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

I also think it is a pretty ugly game outside of some great sprite work sometimes

I think the enemy designs are a little uninspired and I had some trouble with readability on the first vertical stage (only gotten to Stage 2 so far, digging in deeper this weekend) until I had it memorized

the cool stuff with Axelay is the three-hit system with the weapons and the use of Mode 7

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

i'm going to give it a try sometime over the weekend just to get myself set up for SNES emulation.

my shmup experience as a kid was all gradius 3 and darius twin, which feels like the exception in terms of visual design. most of them seem to be simple and stylized like 1942, sky kid and squoon or else kind of bland "you're in space" like alpha mission.

Bro have you seen Thunder Force III/IV.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

this guy has done some pretty awesome Axelay artwork, found it while I was searching for the badge icons

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Sub-Actuality posted:

this guy has done some pretty awesome Axelay artwork, found it while I was searching for the badge icons

cool

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the mode 7 is making me ill and i cant clear the first stage without dying. farewell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
stage 1 is a lot harder than 2, your ship is giant in vertical mode, keep at it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a lot of enemies will just peace out relatively quickly so don't go too crazy trying to blow up everything

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

very cool

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arrhythmia posted:

Everything looks a lot darker and less colourful than I think it should.

there's a brightness setting in the options that defaults to medium for some reason, it looks better all the way up

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
not doin too hot today :frogbon: lots of dumb stage 2 and 3 deaths

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this game keeps reminding me of starfox 64

it started with stage 5 ending with a giant two-armed monster that rises out of the lava

that made me realize the part of stage 1 where you're skimming over water is a bit like Corneria, and the asteroids are a bit like Meteo
and stage 6 is like Area 6, with the long star destroyer type ships with modular weakpoints, and ending with outrunning an explosion e: is like venom

that's it though. stage 4 is not like Aquas. it's just not

Cubone fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 28, 2022

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Everything looks a lot darker and less colourful than I think it should.

looks great in my crt

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

cool, just realized why you don't want to have missile and regular attack mapped to the same button lmao... you'll see

lol finally got far enough to see what you meant

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol finally got far enough to see what you meant

i dont think its going to be that big a deal, you can just not fire at that part. but i havent fought him myself yet

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
yeah you can just not fire but its really annoying imo (at least it was for me) lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Explosion Bombs were still working pretty well on him before I died

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im currently skimming thru this replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFsGTuXdFs

its a hard mode 2-all but maybe still helpful for normal players like myself?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cubone posted:

there's a brightness setting in the options that defaults to medium for some reason, it looks better all the way up

It does. Didn't go looking for it because I thought it would be weird for an SNES game to have a brightness option.

Anyways, I have basically no experience with shmups. The only one that I think I spent any time on was Gigawing, like, 19 years ago on Gametap, but I credit fed that because I just liked how the bosses exploded. This got my blood pressure all the way through the roof, and if this is a relatively median entry for the genre I don't think it's for me.

Things I liked:
The sprite work. They looked good. I especially liked the ship, and the boss of stage 5.
The losing weapons system. Most of my deaths were to crashing into terrain or enemies so I felt like it didn't come up as much as I wanted it to, but it was cool.
How firing the vulcan gun felt.

Things I didn't like:
Not being able to select from all the weapons at the start. Except for maybe the last one, none of them felt substantially better than another, and I feel being able to experiment with my loadout would have been more fun.
How much I died from flying into poo poo. I rage quit on stage 6 when one of the sliding walls slid straight up into my butt hole.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'll try this game this weekend but i'll probably give up before i beat the first level.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Things I liked:
The sprite work. They looked good. I especially liked the ship, and the boss of stage 5.

Yeah the lava boss guy looks really cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy poo poo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im doing very poorly in this game today so i will try again tomorrow

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020