Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jam With Seeds posted:

Is this something that happens? Should I be worried?

Shithouse Dave is an outlier and should not have been counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can't tell you how happy I am that she went through with pressing charges. I honestly think I'd physically attack someone if I woke up and found out they had done significantly altered my appearance for the next six months or longer. Like, motherfucker, I have to go to work on Monday.

"its just hair, he went off his meds." makes me want to press charges more so my erstwhile friend can get the mental help he apparently so desperately needs.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the hair shave victim was male, he talks about the *hypothetical* of how people might feel differently if he was female.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dazerbeams posted:

I’m pretty sure I was introduced to it as Ten Little Indians abut that might have been while I was stuck in the conservative mountains of northwestern New Jersey.

I think it was called this in Australia as well, at least that’s what some decrepit old biddy at the library implied when she asked the librarians why it didn’t have the original title anymore, which of course she then blurted out loud enough for the whole building to hear.

Anyway how has nobody mentioned Agatha Christie’s most famous poo poo detective, Hercule Pooirot

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

lmbo that the Americans immediately released the book as And Then There Were None but the Brits used the original title until 1985

Based on that timeline I'm guessing Australia changed it in like 2011 or something.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Fatkraken posted:

the hair shave victim was male, he talks about the *hypothetical* of how people might feel differently if he was female.

I mean I shave my head every few weeks but if I woke up to someone shaving my head/eyebrows I would press charges as well. Like wtf don't touch people without permission

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grape posted:

Based on that timeline I'm guessing Australia changed it in like 2011 or something.

And it comes with a fee golliwog.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my daughter’s firm?

from the dad:

quote:

I don’t know. I think she was just stressed already. When she filed the police report she said she was happy for the guy to take a driving course but I told her it wasn’t acceptable. This man did a hit and run and left her by the side of the road. She said she didn’t want to spend the energy on revenge but she clearly doesn’t understand justice.

quote:

The law doesn’t dictate morality. You don’t turn off feelings of concern for your kid when they turn 18

quote:

May be true but after she got hit she was very depressed and stayed in bed all day for several weeks. I had to put up with her being so lazy and it was difficult for me too.

quote:

She wasn’t that traumatised. I still made her go on bike rides afterwards.

comment:

quote:

Holy moly I just went and read about your previous interactions with your daughter. She had to raise your two sons, pay for groceries, wrestle you to stop you suiciding, was sexually abused weekly for a year and a half which you minimised because you’d known the abuser ‘for so long’ then was vilified by the religious group you’re with while you made her attend services and in there being harassed by email because you wanted her to keep ‘being momma’ to her brothers after she fled, oh and had an accident that made you sad sad because she was depressed and took to her bed for a while. And now you act surprised she wants NOTHING to do with you. Wow! You are the KING of Assholes

Kill.

content:

quote:

Dear Amy: My husband and I have been married for 40 years.

We have two daughters in their 30s.

I happily was a stay-at-home mom, and my husband was a busy physician. Although busy, he and I never missed a sporting or school event that our daughters participated in.

We traveled, gave them every opportunity in life, and they had a wonderful childhood.

Or so we thought.

My youngest informed me last night that she had some “childhood trauma” (she couldn’t give me an example) that she is going into therapy for.

She also informed me that her older sister told her that she had a horrible childhood.

My oldest has in the past been very disrespectful and dismissive of both my husband and me. She has never provided a reason for her attitude.

She is mother to our only grandchildren, whom we adore.

Could her father and I have gotten it so wrong?

I’m beyond devastated. Thoughts?

– Totally Confused Mom

Dear Mom: Something seems to be amiss in your ideal family, but your angry daughters are not ready – or willing – to illuminate things for you.

You say the daughter who reports childhood trauma cannot give you an example of what she is referring to.

I say that she is not ready. This could be because you and your husband have a habit of denying problems, explaining things away, or glossing things over.

Your other daughter is disrespectful and dismissive but refuses to explain why.

You are expecting both daughters to explain themselves to you, but they might lack the words, or the wherewithal, to pierce your family’s beautiful façade in order to describe their own experiences and feelings.

They might have had a traumatic experience with a neighbor, a family member, or kids at school. They might have felt afraid, lonely, or harshly judged.

Parents need to make sure that their children understand that they can fail, and fall, and have problems – because that’s what it means to be human.

This is a humbling experience for you. I suggest that you start framing your concern toward them, personally – versus the impact on you – and offer to enter therapy with each, as soon as they are ready.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kurieg posted:

"its just hair, he went off his meds." makes me want to press charges more so my erstwhile friend can get the mental help he apparently so desperately needs.

Yeah this, OP and the friend circle have also clearly identified it as part of an on-going spiral, so if he doesn't face legal consequences for this, odds are the next time he faces charges it will be for a more severe degree of assault.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

webmeister posted:

Anyway how has nobody mentioned Agatha Christie’s most famous poo poo detective, Hercule Pooirot

Hercule Pooirot and his friends Captain Shatings, Inspector Shatt, and Miss Lemonparty

Plus there's Christie's other great detective, Miss Shartle

i'll see myself out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo, this one.
AITA for being nice to my mother in law?

quote:

I (30NB) am married to my spouse (30NB). Throwaway for obvious reasons.

My mother in law chose to let HER mother die in a completely curable medical coma because she (MIL) refused to authorize a medical procedure that would have saved Gramma. Gramma had many beach front properties that generated massive cash flow.

Gramma died, and MIL liquidated everything. Over 2 million in a trust fund is currently waiting, untouchable. MIL signed away control to all the money, save for being able to will it. My MIL lost custody of my spouse when they were younger. Bad relationship ensued. MIL stated that my spouse is not in the will, because she doesn't like her. We have been slowly reintegrating MIL back into our lives.

I recently learned that MIL has this trust fund, which could be split 4 ways amongst my spouse and their siblings. I have chosen to take extra care to be kind and thoughtful toward my MIL, and trying to convince her that reintegrating my spouse into the will is the right thing to do.

Info: Spouse tolerates MIL. MIL liquidated the 6 bed, 4 bath house that was promised to be given to my spouse by Gramma before their untimely death. MIL's health is declining, somewhat quickly over the last 2 years.

So, AITA for treating my MIL nicely to ensure we get back into the will?

Comments:

quote:

I'm sorry but this: "My mother in law chose to let HER mother die in a completely curable medical coma" gets my Scooby senses buzzing something fierce.

"let her mother die"? In a curable medical coma, refused a medical procedure that would have saved Gramma?

Uh no. Physicians are not in the habit of inducing medical comas for easily curable conditions. MIL was trusted enough by her mother to act as Executor with POA it sounds like.

So methinks you're blowing a whole lotta horseshit about for the rest of the post. You sound like a horrible human being. And your spouse for going along with this.

YTA.
(OP)
She had a medical complication from an aneurysm or something. MIL could have authorized the procedure. Told the doctors nah. There was a very slim chance gramma could come back with some severe cognitive and or physical dysfunctions.
(somebody else)
That's not "curable". "Curable" means "will come back as the same person, likelier than not."
(OP)
I'm not a doctor. I just know what the lady told me.

quote:

You really truly think that you will inherit any thing?
(OP)
She doesn't have dementia, but it's getting there. She knows me as "That Nice Person" whom my spouse brings about. She has forgotten a lot from 20 years ago and back.
(somebody else)
If she isn’t mentally sound she can’t change the will. No lawyer would agree to that.
(OP)
I mean, the lawyers don't know that yet.

quote:

To be fair, half that money came from the houses Gramma bought for the 4 kids 25 years ago. MIL had the houses sold so she didn't have to "deal" with any of it. Now the money sits there. I take care of half the family, including helping her out. Do you not believe that I deserve a cut?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
calling the cops and pressing charges makes you the rear end in a top hat. this applies in 90% of cases. jail time does not heal someone's mental illness. thank you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo, this one.
AITA for being nice to my mother in law?

Comments:

This is confusing because it is implying that the MIL killed the grandma for money but then says right away that the MIL made it so that she can't touch said money.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Lazy_Liberal posted:

calling the cops and pressing charges makes you the rear end in a top hat. this applies in 90% of cases. jail time does not heal someone's mental illness. thank you.

That's pretty true.

Receiving zero consequences doesn't really help people either

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

muscles like this! posted:

This is confusing because it is implying that the MIL killed the grandma for money but then says right away that the MIL made it so that she can't touch said money.

It is confusing. At some point MIL had control over the money (she sold all the houses) and then she put it into a trust she herself couldn't touch for ... reasons?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dazerbeams posted:

I’m pretty sure I was introduced to it as Ten Little Indians abut that might have been while I was stuck in the conservative mountains of northwestern New Jersey.

I knew it as both None and Indians in the 80s, I think it was a subtitle or something on the edition at my library, or just because other media that referenced it (and so much does) would cite either one. Had no idea about the other name until now, I'd known that existed for the original rhyme but not the book.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is confusing. At some point MIL had control over the money (she sold all the houses) and then she put it into a trust she herself couldn't touch for ... reasons?

Yeah it really just sounds like the OP and their partner were on the outs with MIL for reasons that they aren't getting at and are now angry with MIL for making a series of very well thought out moves/actually making a good medical decision for someone (the amount of family members who will leave an old person with multiple health issues as a "full code" is insane and incredibly cruel*).

I feel like they both feel entitled to the money for whatever reason and are just being really lovely about things.

*Seriously, if you do not feel like you are capable of making medical decisions that are in the best interest of someone including the decision to let that person die, do not let yourself become the primary decision maker for someone.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 29, 2022

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's pretty true.

Receiving zero consequences doesn't really help people either

i won't go off on my police abolition derail too much but speaking as a mental health professional who works with a lot of folks with mental illness who've experienced legal consequences, they usually hurt way more than they help. there are plenty of consequences that don't involve bringing cops or a judge into the picture.

in this case, the guy could have yelled at his friend and cut him off. he could've even told other folks what he did. losing a best friend and experiencing issues in your social group are pretty serious natural consequences. bringing the cops into it also makes it less likely they'll be able to repair the relationship in the future if they wanted to.

anyways gently caress the police, have a great a day relationships thread.

(also, it was "ten little Indians" when we read it in the nineties in California)

edit: feel free to message me if you wanna learn more about how the justice system is hosed up because i won't be continuing this derail.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 29, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i won't go off on my police abolition derail too much but speaking as a mental health professional who works with a lot of folks with mental illness who've experienced legal consequences, they usually hurt way more than they help. there are plenty of consequences that don't involve bringing cops or a judge into the picture.

in this case, the guy could have yelled at his friend and cut him off. he could've even told other folks what he did. losing a best friend and experiencing issues in your social group are pretty serious natural consequences. bringing the cops into it also makes it less likely they'll be able to repair the relationship in the future if they wanted to.

anyways gently caress the police, have a great a day relationships thread.

(also, it was "ten little Indians" when we read it in the nineties in California)

At the point where the person is being enabled by their family and the shared social group you're saying that the victims of their actions have no choice but to socially isolate themselves as their only recourse.

"Off his meds" can me a lot of things, but that fact that Gary was apparently on a mission to try and shave the OP's head for weeks that's definitely leaning more into the "doesn't expect consequences" behavior rather then any actual mental illness. Who really knows, the way a person is enabled by their family can stretch from someone with serious disorders kept out of prison or a golden child who grows up and treats people like absolute poo poo the moment someone objects to their behavior.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 29, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not giving in to my neighbors' demands

quote:

Throwaway for reasons. Last year I purchased some property almost sight-unseen at auction. It is 14 acres total and the highlight for me was a farmhouse that hadn't been cared for in quite some time. After getting the property and finalizing all payment I contracted with a surveyor to give me the exact details and to my surprise, there was also a barn, patio, and firepit area that was my property. One weekend a few months ago I walked over to that part of the property and saw that the barn was in very updated shape with electric, water, etc, all having been run up there. In fact, that end of the property was more kept up than the house. Think of it as two ends of a large "L" shape.

While I was in the barn a sheriff's car pulled right up, the deputy confronted me. I explained this was my property, etc. A minute later another car pulled up, out came "Ken" and "Barbie". They had called 911 stating there was someone trespassing on their property. I explained the situation to all three of them, the deputy seemed keenly interested, Ken and Barbie kept interrupting me explaining this was their barn, their patio, their everything. I had the surveyors papers with me in a folder. He advised Ken and Barbie that I probably wasn't trespassing and that there'd probably need to be real estate lawyers involved. Two more surveys and two opinions from competing lawyers agreed that this part of the property was indeed mine.

Ken and Barbie bought the adjacent property 4 years prior and were under the impression that the disputed area was part of their property. They renovated and turned it into an event center, holding wedding receptions, birthday parties, etc in the barn. Everything they used as part of that business is on my property, multiple surveys have confirmed that. I've been advised that adverse possession does not apply as they've not used it anywhere near long enough to count in my state, and they cannot produce any documentation that indicates they were given any permission from the prior owner in any fashion to use this.

I do not want to own or be responsible for an event venue center. I offered to sell them their end of the "L" at what I (and my real estate agent) considered reasonable market value. They said they couldn't possibly afford it. I offered to lease them the property in exchange for a percent of gross revenue + them holding all insurance and liability. They said they couldn't afford to run the business that way. Their last offer was that I would receive a few hundred dollars a month, which would barely cover insurance alone, to say nothing of upkeep, and I said no. Ken and Barbie explained they already had multiple bookings for the spring and summer and needed the property or else they would have to return deposits. I remain steadfast that I want them to hold the insurance and pay me a lease or else it'll just sit there. AITA?

"Spending five to six figures to build out-buildings and basing your livelyhood around it without verifying you own the land you're building on sounds like an issue, not an issme"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

"Spending five to six figures to build out-buildings and basing your livelyhood around it without verifying you own the land you're building on sounds like an issue, not an issme"

ahhh, it's almost as good as tree law :allears:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

If someone cut off my hair in my sleep I can't say I would be worrying too much about how to heal their mental health. There's only so far someone can go before their situation just stops mattering.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shithouse Dave posted:

And that is my bathtub making GBS threads story.
r/relationships: The Phantom Shitter Rides Again

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Hughlander posted:

They offered them a pretty good deal in the end, but they killed the golden goose instead of just sharing a few of the eggs. Greedy idiots.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Spatial posted:

If someone cut off my hair in my sleep I can't say I would be worrying too much about how to heal their mental health. There's only so far someone can go before their situation just stops mattering.

But don’t you see? It is the victim’s fault for reporting a crime! If someone assaults you, you become responsible for the outcome of that assault. And don’t ever rely on the system our society has setup to deal with these things, because it’s flawed and that’s your responsibility to fix.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Pressing charges and dropping charges aren't really things. And I don't mean to call fake, but I doubt the police used the exact words.

You can indirectly influence the DA's decision to pursue the case, but once the law is involved it's not really in your hands. Head shaver guy made his bed and now he's lying in it. OP can't save him and shouldn't feel bad about any of this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I want an r/relationships post where a cop is renting from a bad landlord so I can see who the ultimate villain is.

It's capitalism isn't it

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Hughlander posted:

Bullshit that they 'can't afford' to buy the land. They just don't want to. If they have a successful business, the land is an operating expense.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

OPAONI posted:

Bullshit that they 'can't afford' to buy the land. They just don't want to. If they have a successful business, the land is an operating expense.

I get a hint that Mr. Fair Market Rate who bought the property "almost" sight unseen might be gouging them a little, but c'est la vie

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Spatial posted:

Yes but have you considered that this could make you indirectly responsible for sanctimonious lectures from drive-by posters?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah it really just sounds like the OP and their partner were on the outs with MIL for reasons that they aren't getting at and are now angry with MIL for making a series of very well thought out moves/actually making a good medical decision for someone (the amount of family members who will leave an old person with multiple health issues as a "full code" is insane and incredibly cruel*).

Smacks of "child with least involvement swans on and demands everything be done."

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Dik Hz posted:

Also I was quoting a post that said all passengers should take Xanax to the point that they were unaware of any people around them.

you’re also pointedly ignoring the mask and noise canceling headphones I also suggested.

the xanax was mostly a joke. mostly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I get a hint that Mr. Fair Market Rate who bought the property "almost" sight unseen might be gouging them a little, but c'est la vie

maybe, but the sticking point is the owner's insistence that they carry insurance (which suggests they were probably operating uninsured. probably illegally, but it's a lovely mom and pop operation out in the sticks)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
"But the headphones are too expensive you bougie rear end in a top hat!" I say as I continue to sneer at parents who can't just hire long term sitters.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

A great way to filter out annoying noise is to add constant random noise. I listen to pink noise when I want to filter things out, it works really well and you don't need expensive earphones. It has a similar sound to very heavy rain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Spatial posted:

A great way to filter out annoying noise is to add constant random noise. I listen to pink noise when I want to filter things out, it works really well and you don't need expensive earphones. It has a similar sound to very heavy rain.

I'm more of a brown noiser, myself

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

maybe, but the sticking point is the owner's insistence that they carry insurance (which suggests they were probably operating uninsured. probably illegally, but it's a lovely mom and pop operation out in the sticks)

Could also be they called their insurance, explained it to them, and got the reply, "You did what now?!?!? gently caress no we're not insuring someone else's property for less than Insurance*10." Or that they knew what they were doing all along, and insurance will ask for permits, the county will realize what happened and...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Some reasons this take is dumb

1) the victim is not responsible for the wellbeing of the person who harmed them

2) in most places you can’t “press charges”. The cops can decide to make an arrest but only after that does the DA or prosecutor decide to press charges or not, depending on the crime and the evidence. it is pretty much entirely out of the hands of the victim. you can *maybe* affect it by not cooperating actively after calling the police, but you don’t actually make the decisions after you get the legal system involved

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I’m a Black gay man in a historically white, traditionally masculine field that requires a lot of fieldwork. I moved for work to a small town in a conservative part of my state. I was raised in a strong Democrat household and myself am even further left—but none of my friends, neighbors, or coworkers in this part of the country know this or know I’m gay. I act, talk, and dress masculine in public, but if you’ll forgive the Seinfeld quote, I’d drape myself in velvet if it was socially acceptable, and identify with men like Lil Nas X and Billy Porter.

One of my coworkers is a man, let’s call him “Forest,” who is not too popular at work. He has bi flag stickers on his gear, wears his hair long, and keeps to himself. We work together, just the two of us often, and we connect. He’s the only person I’ve been able to be myself around since I moved for work, and though we haven’t gotten physical, the attraction was there, and we had started getting beers after work sometimes.

Now here’s the mess-up. At the main office, some of my coworkers were making homophobic jokes, and I’m ashamed to say I went along with it. Forest was there, and he didn’t join or laugh and was distant later. When I asked what was going on, he brought up the jokes in the breakroom and said I acted cowardly. I pointed out that he hadn’t said anything either and can’t know how hard it is to fit in as the only Black person at this job. Forest asked me why I want to fit in with people like that. I didn’t have a good answer (and I still don’t), so I reacted poorly. For what it’s worth, I’ve heard him speak up now and then when my coworkers are on their BS and that just makes it worse.

Now when we’re paired, he only talks to me about work. I texted him to suggest we play some pool, but he declined real civilly. I think I just lost a friend and maybe I lost the chance at something more. Is there anything I can do to make this right?

— Closeted in Colorado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Two comparative posts. The haircut guy is pissed and got the cops involved, he was a victim and wanted justice in some form.

Girl hit by car was a victim but didn't care about justice and wanted to move on. Sadly her dad got involved in that one but hey