Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

BonoMan posted:

Why on earth would a college program need the students to raise funds for the shorts? Shouldn't they provide you all you need?

i don't think it's that uncommon. my film program made us pay out of pocket for anything that wasn't extremely outdated/lovely gear or couldn't be used by the professors for their side gigs (it was not a very good program)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

BonoMan posted:

Why on earth would a college program need the students to raise funds for the shorts? Shouldn't they provide you all you need?

Don’t make me laugh. Every thesis film when I was at UT Austin RTF was crowdfunded in one way or another.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's giving students the tools they need to actually do the work (80% is fundraising) in the field. I think it's smart.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

It's giving students the tools they need to actually do the work (80% is fundraising) in the field. I think it's smart.

Yeah there's definitely a place for it - but I think its also a tool that give lopsided advantages to certain students. I guess it's not really avoidable in most cases though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a tutorial somewhere on color correcting underwater footage with a red filter on? I went diving with a GoPro (with a Backscatter red/orange filter) and I'm trying to figure out the best method to color correct.

I can color correct pretty easily until around 40 feet where sunlight reaches, but much of my footage is at 80-100 feet. I didn't use an external light so I'm in the "as good as I can get it" method of color correction.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am trying to figure out how to remove some light flickering from a light fixture in a slow motion video. I thought the fast-and-dirty trick was to copy the video stream, offset the copy a frame, and then set that copy's opacity to 50%. This didn't seem to do much of anything for me in Blender. The camera is moving so I can't do something statically to address it either. Are there other tricks for fixing that kind of thing?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am trying to figure out how to remove some light flickering from a light fixture in a slow motion video. I thought the fast-and-dirty trick was to copy the video stream, offset the copy a frame, and then set that copy's opacity to 50%. This didn't seem to do much of anything for me in Blender. The camera is moving so I can't do something statically to address it either. Are there other tricks for fixing that kind of thing?

There's a deflicker plugin you can buy for after effects ( https://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/ ) or there's one built into Davinci resolve that I've used in the past.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I use this one:

https://digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

So far nothing I've thrown at it couldn't be fixed by one of the presets, but you can dial it in as well.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After fussing around for a while with DIY tricks to de-flicker a slow mo clip unsuccessfully (like the offset thing), the deflicker tool in Resolve fixed it with almost no tweaking.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

the_lion posted:

There's a deflicker plugin you can buy for after effects ( https://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/ ) or there's one built into Davinci resolve that I've used in the past.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I use this one:

https://digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

So far nothing I've thrown at it couldn't be fixed by one of the presets, but you can dial it in as well.

powderific posted:

After fussing around for a while with DIY tricks to de-flicker a slow mo clip unsuccessfully (like the offset thing), the deflicker tool in Resolve fixed it with almost no tweaking.

btw these are all extremely timely for me since im doing some projection mapping poo poo and the camera only has 25 and 50 fps while the projector seems to be 60 lol thanky ou everynyan

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh and here I'm trying to deflicker using the video editor in Blender. I guess I need to grow up and finally get an Big Boy/Girl video editor.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hey y'all. quick question. is it okay to use a regular HDD for saving your files? my PC has an SSD and admittedly it's pretty fast (seemingly?) but it's also really small (250 GB only) so i'm gonna need to get some more storage. but SSDs are way more expensive than HDDs. i believe the main benefit is the read/write speed. but if i don't mind waiting a bit longer for my videos to export, can i do with just a regular HDD?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yep you can. Look up the read/write speeds if you'll be doing so, I think the Seagate Barracuda is a fast spinny drive but I haven't looked in a couple years.

Be aware that most people use HDDs for media storage etc so you'll see a lot of recommendations for that type of drive, or for network accessed storage drives.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yep. if you dont mind waiting a bit more (maybe a lot more if youre editing much higher resolution material than usual) then its not a big deal. though if you keep your scratch disk in your ssd that can help a bit with caching stuff iirc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Also you should 100% look into proxies, if you're not already using them (or whatever else they're called in other suites). Keep your enormous original-res media files on the slow spinny disk, and use the tiny little proxy files on your SSD to edit at lightning speed.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello again thread. I popped in a while back to ask for advice on choosing editing software (ended up going with DaVinci Resolve after all) so now I thought I'd ask how I did with my first attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_FeR0_bVE

This is one of those "here's a thing I made" videos, although I purposefully bury the Simpsons meme reveal. Even if the theme itself isn't your jam, I'd still be happy to listen to what I did right vs. wrong. Odds are I'll end up publishing this as-is, but I'll gladly incorporate feedback in the next video. If I make one... filming while making and editing and subtitling is a pain.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Trabant posted:

Hello again thread. I popped in a while back to ask for advice on choosing editing software (ended up going with DaVinci Resolve after all) so now I thought I'd ask how I did with my first attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_FeR0_bVE

This is one of those "here's a thing I made" videos, although I purposefully bury the Simpsons meme reveal. Even if the theme itself isn't your jam, I'd still be happy to listen to what I did right vs. wrong. Odds are I'll end up publishing this as-is, but I'll gladly incorporate feedback in the next video. If I make one... filming while making and editing and subtitling is a pain.

Ok, I edit tv shows for a job so I'm going to give you some real serious advice. It's gonna seem a bit harsh but it's genuine and in the interest of improvement. It also applies to heaps of YouTube content but you'll notice all the massive creators already do this stuff. Most people will talk about the technical side but the content side is way more important. So I have one tech tip for you, and then a whole bunch of content advice. B

Tech tip: get a second angle. Use your phone, borrow another camera, shoot the whole process twice. This will immediately make your stuff exponentially higher quality then 90% of YouTube.

Content:

1: I understand the desire to be self deprecating, but when you spend your time saying you don't really know what you're doing and it's not that good etc etc, all I hear is massive disrespect for your potential audience. If you don't know what you're doing why should I give you my time?

2: waaaayy too much dead air. You need to fill more space with dialogue. Instructional, observational, internal monologue. What are you doing? Why are you doing it? What does it mean to you?

3: relates to number 2, I need more instruction. There's a few bits where you say something like "I made the walls" and there's just walls there. If you are leaning into the "I'm a novice" angle so heavily then your audience will be other novices so let them know the how, why, and what of your process. For example, after you paint the barrel, there's a scene of you wrapping it in a paper towel without explaining why. If it's not worth explaining why you're doing something, it's not worth showing.

4: You don't need to mention or link other channels. If I'm making real housewives of Kansas and someone talks about how good breaking bad is that gets cut so fast it makes Usain Bolt weep.

5: Punctuation. This is semi technical but also content dependent. When you use a blanket music track throughout the entire process and speak in a continuous monotone, lots of moments are lost. Yes I saw the Simpsons gag, but you've spent 5 minutes priming me to receive that tone of voice / camera angle / audio bed as dry instructional material. As a result I receive the information that a joke is present, but don't laugh.

All this stuff is much more what editing is about than animattes or floating split screen or whatever.

Get your story right and everything else is gravy.

Now that we're through all that I want to give you a billion million points for having good audio. I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Your voice has been recorded well, your levels are good, just flawlessly done.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

First: thank you for the feedback! Having a pro give me their thoughts is extremely valuable :) I don't see it as harsh at all!

I'm going to explain why I did things a certain way, so this is by no means a "You're wrong" kind of rebuttal, rather a "Here's why, but I understand it's not necessarily the right approach" explanation.

Second angle: absolutely right, and something I regret not doing. The first few clips were recorded on a Nikon DSLR (overhead) and my phone (desktop tripod off to the side). I quickly discovered that (a) the DSLR got in the way of my head and made it really difficult to build, (b) the camera burned through the battery in a hurry, and (c) my hands would get in the way of the phone too much for the shots to be of any use. I then switched to using just my phone overhead. I've since bought a couple of spare batteries for the DSLR and any subsequent videos filmed on my desk will absolutely have a second angle. That said, I don't anticipate to be doing a lot of desk-based videos going forward: most of the stuff I make is done in a woodshop environment which necessitates multiple angles anyway.

Being self-deprecating: this one was tricky. I wanted to avoid presenting myself as an expert on any of this, as it truly was the very miniature I ever made. I also think acknowledging mistakes is just as important as showing successes in a build video. But while all of that was intentional, I probably overdid it. If I were doing a woodworking- or electronics-based project instead, I think the confidence would come through.

Instruction: This is probably a difference in what I meant for the video to be vs. what others might expect it to be. If so, that's on me to either introduce differently or change up entirely. Think of it "here's what I did" vs. "here's how to do it." That's the reason for referencing other channels as well -- if someone stumbles on my video and wants to try this, there are far better learning resources out there. I do get the point though. Using the barrel painting example: doing a paint wash inherently requires wiping off the extra paint. I absolutely should've also said why I was doing that, although my thinking was "anyone interested in a paint wash would surely look it up elsewhere." While that's what I have done, it's not a good assumption to make for a broader audience.

Narration / dead air: I really struggled with this because a peeve of mine are chatterbox videos. I wanted to strike a balance between those that do zero voiceover and explain nothing vs. those that speak through the entire thing. I ended up (completely accidentally) with 7:05 of voiceover on a 14:12 video -- drat near exactly 50% "voiceover rate" if that's a thing. Seeing it expressed as a number really highlights what you're saying though. If I didn't have the music bed, it would be excruciating to listen to.

(Speaking of excruciating: I knew and expected this, but it's still amazing how recording/editing the narration will make you hate your own voice. I know relatively few people actually like hearing a recording of themselves, but holy poo poo is it unpleasant after a while. There was probably a subconscious desire to avoid subjecting people to my voice at play here too.)

Punctuation: Nothing to add here other than I need to work on it. The first pass at narration/storytelling involved moving away from my natural speaking cadence, which is indeed a monotone. It felt so put-on and incongruent with the video that I quickly abandoned it.

Finally, thank you for the kind words about the audio! I remember hearing somewhere that viewers will sometimes accept subpar video but will never forgive bad audio, so I thought I'd pay some attention to it. That and the closed captioning -- the automatic captioning is hit-and-miss, plus I've mumbled/swallowed a word here and there, so I made sure to enter my own.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Cool!

The two major through lines following your post I think are:

1: commit to the bit. This is something I have to drill into junior editors all the time. Decide exactly what you're trying to do and don't include anything that detracts from it. So for example, my understanding of the concept now is "I'm a novice doing this for the first time, come along on the journey". Make that clear in the opening narration to set audience expectation. When you make a mistake, explain in more detail what went wrong, what the lesson is, and how you intend to fix it. Sounds weird but with that kind of content you need to give yourself a story arc as the host.

2: Don't assume the audience knows everything you do, or wants to seek out supplemental material. If you don't want to go into detail about a particular step that's fine, but don't show it. You are by no means the only person to fall into this. We all underestimate our own knowledge and take things we've learnt for granted. I just got finished working on two seasons of a show about a popular Danish children's building brick. They were filmed back to back so by the time the second season was being filmed everyone (including the crew) was so immersed in that world they forgot outsiders wouldn't know jargon and technical things. I had an episode where the presenters and cast must have used the phrase "clutch power" 7000 times without anyone ever explaining what it was. That's a massive problem for an 8 year old and their semi interested parents watching. On a larger scale, I don't want to learn how to play fortnight to find out emperor palpatine is alive.

Stick at it though, I've seen, subscribed to, and worked on worse lol

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Here's an easy one: At the end I really wanted to see more of the finished product. We get just a couple seconds and one angle, most model/miniature build videos I've seen will have several seconds-long shots from multiple angles, turnarounds, detail closeups, a montage of still photos, etc. The process is interesting, but the final result is a big part of why people watch. Give them the goods and don't be shy about it!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You should have a better title. You have to play the clickbait game. Also you should do recognizable buildings from pop culture if you want to get views.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Here's an easy one: At the end I really wanted to see more of the finished product. We get just a couple seconds and one angle, most model/miniature build videos I've seen will have several seconds-long shots from multiple angles, turnarounds, detail closeups, a montage of still photos, etc. The process is interesting, but the final result is a big part of why people watch. Give them the goods and don't be shy about it!

Good point, and something I've heard elsewhere -- I'll make sure to include more glamour shots going forward.

Schweinhund posted:

You should have a better title. You have to play the clickbait game. Also you should do recognizable buildings from pop culture if you want to get views.

Yeah, the title is too coy. But as for doing other miniatures, I don't think that's in the cards. Specializing in that might get views, but I consider this a one-off as far as what I'm actually interested in making.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because I'm perpetually stuck in 2005, I have a bunch of PAL SD DV footage I'm working on, with the primary delivery being YouTube.

I'm planning on messing with a bunch of methods, but just in case anyone here has gone through similar I'd love any tips and tricks you picked up. I'll be editing with FCP on a 2012 Mac Mini.

The main concern right now is getting the footage to look as good as possible on YT. I did a native resolution output to ProRes which I've read is generally the better codec to work with for this kind of thing and... it looked like rear end. I'm guessing YT just sees the SD resolution and assumes it's going to be bad quality, and bitstarves it.

So, my guess is to upscale everything to 1080p in my editor (or perhaps FFMPEG and then correct the square pixels and the fact some of my footage was shot with an anamorphic lens too in one go) and then output that out to ProRes which I'm guessing YT will play a ton better with. I'd love to use Topaz to prep everything, but it's beyond slow on any hardware I've got to hand and I've got too many tapes to plough through sadly. No real downside to delivering 16:9 black barred footage to preserve the original aspect ratio right?

Any major flaws to this before I go too far down the line it'd be a nightmare to start again?

In the last few weeks of dealing with 50 out of 100 or so tapes so far, I've truly learned to hate non-square, interlaced, taped based video all over again.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ProRes is good for editing, but you should upload an mp4 or whatever to youtube. Youtube's compression can be extremely dodgy, so the less work you make it do, the better. Adobe has preset exports specifically for YouTube that mostly seem to translate, although with some rare hiccups every once in a while. I bet FCP probably has something similar. I also think you're right about uploading in HD as well, because I've definitely had more issues even at 720p.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks! Yeah I read MP4 was the official YouTube guidance and that ProRes was something people say they got great results out of following their own experiments. If it simplifies to work in MP4 I'm happy to do that (I think that's what I was probably doing with the batch I worked on a few years ago). I'm working in DV25 raw captures right now so luckily no transcodes so far. I think I did one of my tests using FCPs YouTube based template but I think I need to work on getting the raw footage to interact with that properly to maintain correct aspect ratio as it misinterprets the 720x576 native resolution wrong due to the pixel aspect ratio and wants to kick out a non 4:3 squashed image by default.

I asked a friend to run a few minutes through Topaz on his gaming rig and drat, it looks so pretty. At least I can use that footage as a 'aim for this' in FCP or FFMPEG as long as I can get it to render in reasonable timescales.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

If it's a long-term project it might be worth experimenting with ProRes, but yeah, I usually get pretty accurate results with mp4.

For the aspect ratio thing, there's probably an option in the menu to reinterpolate it manually. Adobe has it when you right click a clip in the bin, so I'd guess it's not buried too deep in FCP either.

Hopefully it all turns out!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I'm not a regular here since I usually just do short videos for myself from vacations and what not. I now volunteered to edit an interview for a charity, they want ~1 minute out of 10 minutes of footage + some b-roll. The interview is 4k footage from a tripod so I can at least punch in sometimes.

I'm struggling with it though because they'll ask the guy a question and he'll talk for a few minutes without many pauses, so there's no good opportunities to make a clean cut... and I have to cut a ton to make it under the time limit.

So I'm trying to do jump cuts, but unlike the examples e.g. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvK8xtVbopA, where it's clear that he actually planned them, I literally have to cut mid-sentence to avoid him rambling for minutes, but it feels terrible and awkward. I hate it :) I can hide some of it by going to b-roll or zooming in, but are there any other tricks I could do to make it suck less?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Frankenbytes are your friend here. If you can find a clean break between words in one sentence and match it to a clean break in a second sentence, you can turn them into a single condensed sentence. Results will vary based on tone of voice and you have to be careful not to change the meaning of the sentence, but once you get a feel for making it sound natural you can even cut mid-word when that word shows up in two places and make it work. If you have a good chunk of b-roll you can even frankenbyte a bunch of short bits together underneath, and save shot size changes for single splices.

The easiest way to pull it off is going to be figuring out what exactly you want to keep first and then figure out how to edit that after. Also, if you're feeling like the cuts are still too obvious, take a break for a bit (20 minutes at least) and then play through the edit with your eyes closed to see if it still sticks out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainViolence posted:

Frankenbytes are your friend here. If you can find a clean break between words in one sentence and match it to a clean break in a second sentence, you can turn them into a single condensed sentence. Results will vary based on tone of voice and you have to be careful not to change the meaning of the sentence, but once you get a feel for making it sound natural you can even cut mid-word when that word shows up in two places and make it work. If you have a good chunk of b-roll you can even frankenbyte a bunch of short bits together underneath, and save shot size changes for single splices.

The easiest way to pull it off is going to be figuring out what exactly you want to keep first and then figure out how to edit that after. Also, if you're feeling like the cuts are still too obvious, take a break for a bit (20 minutes at least) and then play through the edit with your eyes closed to see if it still sticks out.
Thanks! I had no idea there frankenbytes were a specific thing.

The tone is an issue and sometimes he speaks softly at times would get louder, though to some degree I can mitigate this by adjusting the levels. I definitely do try not to change the meaning of the sentences but stuff just has to go, even though I think it should be there. Like they ask him what's his motivation to work with the NGO, and he speaks for a minute about other stuff he's done for the refugees which is great and deserves recognition but even just that part by itself wouldn't fit so poof.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Sounds like you're on the right track! Honestly, you can get away with changing a lot of the actual sentences (and like you said, you have no choice when you need one minute out of ten), it's just always good to be careful of changes that seem innocuous but aren't in line with reality because they may not be as innocuous as it seems. Sounds like you probably don't have to worry about it, but I used to work in reality tv and outright fabrication in the editing room was rampant (and not always intentional) so I figure it's worth mentioning!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely an important thing to keep in mind. This is representing a real person after all and not a fictional character or some dumb meme to gently caress around with. Mostly it ended up being just omission, which is unfortunate but...

when I sent over the video, my contact said it can actually be over 1 minute, it's just that if it was under 1, they'd put it on Instagram or TicktTock or whatever but it wasn't a strict requirement :doh: well too bad, no way I'm re-doing this now! The result ended up being quite good though, she was happy and I thought the butchery wasn't too obvious in the final result either. Thanks for the suggestions!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

I work on commercials with mixed footage - sometimes I have RED footage, Sony footage and drone footage. What tends to happen is that we end up with multiple files with names like "DJI_001.MOV" from the drone shooters.

Is there a way to batch rename these to something more useful like "DJI_0001_shootname_location.mov?"

That way we'd know the exact piece of footage every time, people get confused when they're in similarly named folders or whatever.

That said, I'd be open to suggestions from people with more experience in this area.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

I work on commercials with mixed footage - sometimes I have RED footage, Sony footage and drone footage. What tends to happen is that we end up with multiple files with names like "DJI_001.MOV" from the drone shooters.

Is there a way to batch rename these to something more useful like "DJI_0001_shootname_location.mov?"

That way we'd know the exact piece of footage every time, people get confused when they're in similarly named folders or whatever.

That said, I'd be open to suggestions from people with more experience in this area.

Yeah, windows Powertoys (free) has a feature called powerrenamer or something like that which gives you additional options if you right click on a selection of the files, I think you could tell it to change everything with 'dji' in it to add a suffix like that. I'm on my phone but that should get you started.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also have Hedge or Shotputpro or whatever change the names on offload (if you have control of that part of the process). Or similar to the above windows options, in OSX you can just select all the files and when you right click to rename there's an option to add text and do other things.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

powderific posted:

You could also have Hedge or Shotputpro or whatever change the names on offload (if you have control of that part of the process). Or similar to the above windows options, in OSX you can just select all the files and when you right click to rename there's an option to add text and do other things.

That right click command turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I have a project I want to shoot on an old JVC VHS-C camera. I have the video out from the camera put into a AV2HDMI converter which is then put into a HDMI to USB converter. I hit play on the camera and record with OBS.

It looks soft. Not low res in the way you would expect VHS to look, but soft as in missing detail which I feel like is there when I hook the camera directly to my TV.

In OBS I have the base and output res set to 1280x960 which I feel should be more than enough. My worry is that the two converters I have are cheap Ali Express stuff.

Could subbing them out with better quality converters improve the image or are there some settings in OBS I could use?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Which AV2HDMI converter are you using? You are absolutely correct in that most converters use particularly poo poo DACs, and my first thought would be to take a look into the chipset yours is using specifically, but that doesn't necessarily rule out mismatched settings in OBS either.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

barnold posted:

Which AV2HDMI converter are you using? You are absolutely correct in that most converters use particularly poo poo DACs, and my first thought would be to take a look into the chipset yours is using specifically, but that doesn't necessarily rule out mismatched settings in OBS either.

Sort of an unbranded bargain bucket one. Seems like the elgato video capture is the way to go, which is making this a pretty expensive project.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone know of a good way to sharpen video in Premiere that doesn't either take forever or drop the color depth?

The built in unsharp mask filter is 8 bit so it drops color depth to 8 bit when you apply it to footage. I'm working with 12 bit prores raw for 10 bit 4:2:2 hdr delivery so I can't use that.

I've been using Neat Video because it has a built in sharpening filter which works with 12 bit color, but sucks because it makes my rendering take 3-5x as long as using unsharp mask.

I shoot a lot of night footage so I'd be using neat video anyway on that, but for daylight footage where I don't need to denoise I'd like to find a faster solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

joedevola posted:

Sort of an unbranded bargain bucket one. Seems like the elgato video capture is the way to go, which is making this a pretty expensive project.

For a VHS-C project, I would just get a Diamond VC500. It's a known good USB converter, won't break the bank, and will work great for what you are trying to do. I have one that I've used for regular VHS as well as DVCAM recordings and it handles interlaced video no problem at all.

e: It's not as elegant as an Elgato, but unless you foresee the need to consistently digitize tapes in this manner, I personally couldn't really justify the cost. Plus, I think even on the older models, there is hardware-enforced deinterlacing which may or may not be your jam. I prefer to digitize with the interlacing intact, but that may just be because I'm a big nerd

barnold fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 17, 2022