Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I wonder if the AI factors in your city state allies when determining if you're a juicy target. I tend to neglect military unless I have an known opportunist neighbor and I can think of exactly one time going Owls that the AI decided that it could get past my ablative shield of city states.

chaosapiant posted:

How is the Barbarian Clans mode? I find barbs a good mix of early game free XP and also a significant hurdle sometimes. I’m assuming Clans mode makes them even stronger and more organized?

The big one for me is it gives them some early game UUs from other civs, and gives them a theme based on unit type.

Aside from that they're slightly more aggressive I guess, though I haven't really done much with the diplomacy part aside from paying tribes for peace that I want to turn into a CS.

The fatal flaw for me is that I like big, long maps, and when the AI fails to knock out most of the camps before they turn into citystates, it makes the game chug in between turns due to all the ais.

Deki fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ever since the Lady of Reed and Marshes change, I think marshes have been my favorite terrain type. I was able to make the strongest starting city I've ever made today with that and Etemenanki, and then hosed it up by not leaving enough space of the Mauesoleum.

Fractal was always my go to map type, but I always hated how there really weren't islands on most of them. I've been doing Primordial starts a lot recently and have been liking them a lot more. It seems like the maps seem way more random and chaotic.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

After having not played Civ5 since Civ6 has been out, I've decided to go back and play it. And I have to say that I vastly prefer 5 over 6. According to Steam I played 1200 hours of Civ 5 and 1100 of Civ 6, just to paint a picture.

The main thing I like more is the fact that the game isn't asking you to click all the drat time on something. having no districts or governors to micro-manage makes the game feel so much more pleasant. Also, the AI seems better in waging war and taking cities.

Ok, thanks for listening!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I have over 1,600 hours clocked on this game and only just now learned that you experience anarchy if you switch governments too much. I always thought it was weird how they removed this element from changing governments/civics (never played 5 so don't know about that). Guess I just never changed governments in 6 enough to have anarchy before.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TipTow posted:

I have over 1,600 hours clocked on this game and only just now learned that you experience anarchy if you switch governments too much. I always thought it was weird how they removed this element from changing governments/civics (never played 5 so don't know about that). Guess I just never changed governments in 6 enough to have anarchy before.

Never knew about that either

How is this anarchy?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
you get anarchy if you switch TO a government more than once I believe

for every government that you switch to you that you're doing for the first time you get a free switch

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

you get anarchy if you switch TO a government more than once I believe

for every government that you switch to you that you're doing for the first time you get a free switch

Okay, that makes sense. I went to oligarchy when it first unlocked for the combat bonus, switched to classical republic after peace, then switched back to oligarchy to get the anarchy.

It's never come up for me because I usually know exactly what I'm trying to do each game and just stick with the new government when a tier is unlocked. I was deliberately trying a more "wing it" approach in that game when it came up.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

After having not played Civ5 since Civ6 has been out, I've decided to go back and play it. And I have to say that I vastly prefer 5 over 6. According to Steam I played 1200 hours of Civ 5 and 1100 of Civ 6, just to paint a picture.

The main thing I like more is the fact that the game isn't asking you to click all the drat time on something. having no districts or governors to micro-manage makes the game feel so much more pleasant. Also, the AI seems better in waging war and taking cities.

Ok, thanks for listening!

Same. It's so nice not to move spies around to specific districts in specific cites, assign governors, check the great person screen, change government cards, or any of the other min/maxing busy work that 6 puts the player through on almost every turn. I really hope this isn't the route they go down with 7, although I fear it is because people seem not to mind it for some reason.

Also, it's nice to actually have trade routes help the target. Want to help another player: send them a trade route. Want to help your economy: create a temping trade route destination city. 5 is great.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I really like the idea of policy cards, but the implementation is messy. There are too many and most do too little. You have too many slots. Getting a "better in every way" upgraded policy card should not unslot the one it replaced, it should just automatically replace it. Free changes are too common and the cost of changing when not free is too cheap.

My idea for a redesign would be: throw out at least half of the cards. Reduce governments to like, 4-5 slots tops? Maybe "one card of each type" is more of an endgame government. Or give all governments one of each plus a wildcard, but have them increase/decrease the effect of some of the types, instead of granting more slots. Restrict free changing of cards to only on government change, and replacing actually obsolete cards. Make the cost of changing them when not free matter, perhaps anarchy?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phosphine posted:

I really like the idea of policy cards, but the implementation is messy. There are too many and most do too little. You have too many slots. Getting a "better in every way" upgraded policy card should not unslot the one it replaced, it should just automatically replace it. Free changes are too common and the cost of changing when not free is too cheap.

My idea for a redesign would be: throw out at least half of the cards. Reduce governments to like, 4-5 slots tops? Maybe "one card of each type" is more of an endgame government. Or give all governments one of each plus a wildcard, but have them increase/decrease the effect of some of the types, instead of granting more slots. Restrict free changing of cards to only on government change, and replacing actually obsolete cards. Make the cost of changing them matter, perhaps anarchy?

I like the idea of policies also, but have the same issues with them you do.

My idea to change it would be to make you change them in order from oldest to newest. Let's say you have 8 slots. They are numbered 1-8. The first time you get to change, you may only change slot 1. You can keep slot 1 as it is, or change slot 1 at this point. The next time you can change a policy, only slot 2 will be available to change.

The gameplay reason I think this is because of policies like the one that makes buying plots cheaper. Having that as policy option is annoying considering how fast polices can be changed. The result is that you just choose the policy, buy the plots, and change it back 4 turns later. It's unnecessary attention to min/maxing. It has almost no effect on the game other than to make the player click more. Instead, make the player strategize around having this ability for a while. Give it an actual cost that is large enough to actually make it into a cost/benefit analysis.

The more thematic reason I like this idea because it seems more like actual laws being passed then replaced or reviewed as time passes; instead of the current feeling of your government passing a law and then remanding it the next year.

And like you suggest: replace obsolete policies with better policies automatically.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 14, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If I were going to keep the card system I would make them permanent, but as you progress through the tech-tree there would be certain techs that unlock the ability to change the cards you have, add additional slots, and also give you new cards. You don't HAVE to use all the slots you have, but once you slot a card until the next "key" tech that lets you change cards, you are stuck. Make one of the end game techs let you change cards as much as you want without penalty. Allow Golden Ages to let you change one card too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah switching policy cards is a massive "feature" that needs toning down. I always play to maximise the efficiency like slotting in the land surveyors for 1-2 turns max and then switching it out. Even a simple limiter that you can't change cards for 8 turns after you put them in would be good.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I kind of liked the civ 5 approach more, since social policies were way less fiddly (even though the balance was out of whack). Also some of the civ 6 policy cards don't make sense, e.g. the "public transport" card. You telling me my civilisation doesn't have public transport at all unless I slot in this card? And all it does is GIVE me gold when I replace a farm with suburbs? Make it make sense.

I wonder if a mix between civ 5 and 6 would have been the best result. Have policy cards that you slot in permanently, BUT they become more powerful as you go through the civic tree. If you want to switch to new ones, it requires you to go through a period of anarchy. Might allow you to do radical strategy switches halfway through the game if you can stomach a period of anarchy, and would have given the devs opportunities to lock some powerful ones behind civics that you presumably only unlock after you've filled all of your policy slots to force you to make a choice between "do I want to swap to this really powerful, new policy card after I've unlocked it? Or am I content having my somewhat weaker policy card that's served me since the early game and that will still slowly improve over the course of the game?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What I prefered about Civ 5 culture system (and ideologies) is that it caused the civs in the game to be different from each other

While science is one big tree that every player supposed to complete, culture was a bunch of small trees you had to choose. That, together with ideologies (which you had to choose 1 too), created variety as the game progressed (even though the implementation was very unbalanced and some were just much better than others).

Civ 6 lost that while adding the boring micro of changing cards

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The mod that shows you the benefit you get from each card really makes it more apparent that there are a lot of cards that don't really do anything as well. There are some that you would slot out and in when you need them (troop upgrade discounts, builder/settler discounts, wonder construction) but a lot of them are set and forget until they become obsolete, since most of them tend to support one play-style or another so it ends up being a bit of a messy implementation of the culture trees.

Seeing some sort of hybrid in 7 would be nice. Permanent bonuses from some culture trees that unlocks some cards, but the trade off is going down one path would block of getting other cards.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

The mod that shows you the benefit you get from each card really makes it more apparent that there are a lot of cards that don't really do anything as well. There are some that you would slot out and in when you need them (troop upgrade discounts, builder/settler discounts, wonder construction) but a lot of them are set and forget until they become obsolete, since most of them tend to support one play-style or another so it ends up being a bit of a messy implementation of the culture trees.

Seeing some sort of hybrid in 7 would be nice. Permanent bonuses from some culture trees that unlocks some cards, but the trade off is going down one path would block of getting other cards.

What would the name of this mod be? I'm very interested.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

TipTow posted:

What would the name of this mod be? I'm very interested.

Extended Policy Cards:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2266952591

It actually makes some cards more likely to be used because its less of a guessing game!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I actually enjoy the policy card timing minigame but I agree that there's just too much stuff to juggle overall, especially once you throw in all the expansion content. In particular I definitely wish they had stuck with Civ 5's brilliantly elegant espionage implementation, it was great and would have been a vastly better fit for a game that already has enough to keep the player busy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Extended Policy Cards:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2266952591

It actually makes some cards more likely to be used because its less of a guessing game!

Keep in mind that this dont works on linux, unfortunately, like most mods actually (but I guess Im probably the only one here playing on linux)

the holy poopacy posted:

I actually enjoy the policy card timing minigame but I agree that there's just too much stuff to juggle overall, especially once you throw in all the expansion content. In particular I definitely wish they had stuck with Civ 5's brilliantly elegant espionage implementation, it was great and would have been a vastly better fit for a game that already has enough to keep the player busy.

Just make the spies protect everything instead of just 1 district and would have been ok

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 14, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Elias_Maluco posted:

Keep in min that this font works on linux, unfortunately (but I guess Im probably the only one here playing on linux)

I assume you mean doesn't work, since I recall I had to pull it off as it kept crashing the game. 'Tis a tragic life we live.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, that. But it wont even crash, the policies screen just wont load

I assume its because it depends on Better Report Screen, which also dont works on linux (the new reports screens just wont open)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If there were anything changed about policies, I would rather like have policies have more requirements. Like make multiple policy "buckets" and you can only slot policies that share buckets. They don't feel like they represent anything, because aside from a tiny, tiny handful of government specific cards, what you slot doesn't matter.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
When I first started Civ6 I loved the idea behind the policy card system and when I saw you could change them with every civic unlock I genuinely thought that was a bug. Being able to change up your policies every few turns seemed like the opposite problem to 5's "your policies are fixed forever". Way too fiddly indeed.

There are some really good ideas in the previous few posts, but sadly 6 seems to lack the modding community to turn them into reality!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There are some really good ideas in the previous few posts, but sadly 6 seems to lack the modding community to turn them into reality!

Modding is poo poo in 6 because of no source code. And then when people tried to mod the game in spite of that, they released the frontier pack and broke everyone's mods every other month for a year. I think everyone just gave up at that point.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

In practice I was only changing policies when specific ones came up that I wanted, so the abundance of them and the frequency with which they could be changed were never issues. Because I have a preferred playstyle, though, it meant that I never touched many policies. I am not sure whether the ones I didn't like were must-haves for other playstyles; if not, well, that's not great design.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I didn't really like the culture picks in V because it seemed like there was one tree significantly better than the others. Likewise the ideologies seemed like one was way better than the others.

I think the cards in VI have a similar issue but since you have more flexibility it makes it more interesting to me. Getting a ton of science from +100% campus adjacency is good but having to weigh whether a situation calls for swapping out to get a key wonder or boost loyalty in a pinch feels more interesting than picking one of the 3 options on turn 20 and having it forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing beats rolling up on a city with admittedly not enough troops to take it, and then... BAM! Slave revolt in the city. Yoink!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel 6 was just over the line into Skinner box territory to the point it felt the ai was programmed to have everybody sit put so their was little threat to number goes up. Civ4 realism invictus mod is chaotic and I enjoy it. My love for civ games seems dependent on how dynamic they are and civ6 is imho the least dynamic of them all. By 'dynamic' I mean ai civs taking cities from all etc and unbalanced crazy wars and odd unique situations per game. And by all that I mean civ1 best civ :p

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I would love to play Civ 1. What's the best way? Is it available in a browser somewhere?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I would love to play Civ 1. What's the best way? Is it available in a browser somewhere?
Dosbox
D-fend front end
Abandonware, I don't think it's on HotU but it'll be somewhere

Have a hoon. There is also freeciv of course, with civ 1 ruleset. But imo civdos is just the best. Come on down to the civ1 subforum on civfanatics, we have a sweet as fan made map editor and a map of the month challenge that died ten years ago!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/sid-meier-s-civilization-1nj/play-1nj

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

In Civ 1, the weird situations were pretty much "welp that was a very unlikely but possible RNG result" and there's just way less "game" there by today's standards. There might be more "game" in Lily's Garden than in Civ I.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

The AI’s incompetence at warfare in VI does lead to a more static game state though. I recently had a fractal game where all the AIs were locked in eternal hellwars for most of the game and like, a single city changed hands. I saw Mecca reduced to zero HP for multiple turns, but it never was captured. Meanwhile, were this IV, this would have ended with most of the AIs dead and a single, consolidated threat.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

homullus posted:

In Civ 1, the weird situations were pretty much "welp that was a very unlikely but possible RNG result" and there's just way less "game" there by today's standards. There might be more "game" in Lily's Garden than in Civ I.
I completely agree there is "less game" then what might be called today's standards. But I also feel "more game" isn't necessarily more fun or more deep. And Lily's Garden looks dope. I'd rather a civ game with all the dynamic goings-on of civ1 then the stagnant cookie clicker that is civ6. Not that there is anything wrong with clicker games, but I feel there is very little... story? to what happens in civ6?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

I completely agree there is "less game" then what might be called today's standards. But I also feel "more game" isn't necessarily more fun or more deep. And Lily's Garden looks dope. I'd rather a civ game with all the dynamic goings-on of civ1 then the stagnant cookie clicker that is civ6. Not that there is anything wrong with clicker games, but I feel there is very little... story? to what happens in civ6?

here's an excellent website if you want to replicate the "storytelling" experience of civ1

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Chur. Found a good civ6 one too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say by calling Civ6 'cookie clicker'. It's...mindless? Requires little to no effort or thought? Is automated beyond all reason?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

number goes up

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

As mentioned before, I went back to Civ 5. And speaking of war, I completely forgot that the AI is pretty good at AI v AI war. Now in the modern age and they're still taking cities from each other. Egypt managed to conquer the entire African continent on a huge Earth map with tanks and airplanes. I've never seen this happen in Civ 6, which is reason enough for me to never return to the latest installment.

Civ 1 is still a very good game to me. I started up a game last year for old time's sake, and I lost my capital in the first 15 turns because of barbarians. I forgot all about how that game works. And Civ 1 still looks prettier than Civ 4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

John F Bennett posted:

And Civ 1 still looks prettier than Civ 4!

of course not, are you high?