Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Unfortunately, gods and monsters are not real, so it's all about his ego.

I don’t know him and Papa Nurgle seem to have a lot in common.

Also I could see him and Mr. Pillow smoking crack together and thinking they’re talking to chaos gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:lol: I was thinking I should’ve left off the filth part, lest it get extrapolated to a real country and come across a bit harsh.

:cheerdoge:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I doubt trump ever turns down coke (especially if it's free to him), but I don't see him as a crack fiend like pillow guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If y’all haven’t seen there’s a massive oil spill in the amazon just dumping incredible amounts of crude into a local river.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

If y’all haven’t seen there’s a massive oil spill in the amazon just dumping incredible amounts of crude into a local river.

oh

joy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welp, time to break out more popcorn for my evening doom recliner hour.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I doubt trump ever turns down coke (especially if it's free to him), but I don't see him as a crack fiend like pillow guy.

I could see Mr. Pillow lying to Trump and calling it fried cocaine.

But good point he probably wouldn’t trade crack just because the public view well… crack

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

According to here, the spill has stopped because it was caused by a rockslide hitting the pipe (that spewed a shitload of oil) and the company shut it off. The company is "claiming" it's fully contained in a retention area before going into a river.

But that aside, if they're completely lying, this isn't a Gulf of Mexico case where it's a never-ending gusher.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Source: Harpoon Battle set 1 GIUK.

Setting up anti-ship strikes with Harpoons and TASMs was always :negative: as gently caress.

You had to organize and marshal your air-launched ASMs to arrive along with the ship-launched ones (preferably from another direction) to have even the slightest hope of getting through the Soviet battlegroup's defenses.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Setting up anti-ship strikes with Harpoons and TASMs was always :negative: as gently caress.

You had to organize and marshal your air-launched ASMs to arrive along with the ship-launched ones (preferably from another direction) to have even the slightest hope of getting through the Soviet battlegroup's defenses.

Man, gently caress Harpoons. They keep telling us that TASMs (now called MSTs, Maritime Strike Tomahawk) are coming down the pipe "any day now" but the day never comes...

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Source: Harpoon Battle set 1 GIUK.

I bought the basic set of Harpoon from a con years ago but never got around learning it. Talk about a learning curve.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

People seem to be getting upset about this, I dunno enough about state / federal court poo poo to know if its commonplace or not. Only thing I had seen so far is that the victims family was unhappy about it.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1488119911348121602

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
well.... allowing people to plea deal hate crimes and racism seems problematic given our country's tainted history with hate crimes and racism.

this may not be what the issue is, but this is my own personal issue with it.

e: I am also ignorant on how this poo poo works but my impression of plea agreements is that they are designed to save time and money, not for any type of justice.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 31, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

People seem to be getting upset about this, I dunno enough about state / federal court poo poo to know if its commonplace or not. Only thing I had seen so far is that the victims family was unhappy about it.

If I remember correctly, they're full-blown state-convicted already, so pleading to the federal charges gives everyone a win. The murderers get to serve their sentences in the federal prison versus a state prison. The federal government locks in a conviction that makes sure the murderers serve time even if anything fucks up with the state case - and it basically locks in that the murderers won't appeal said state case.

No clue why people are mad.

Edit: k this explains why people are mad - the Arbery family is mad

https://news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-reach-plea-deal-2-043741701.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

quote:

Attorneys for Arbery's family released a statement saying they're "vehemently against" the proposed plea deals, reached ahead of the hate crimes trial that's scheduled for Feb. 7, as it would see the murderers serve the first 30 years of their sentence in a preferred federal prison.

They will oppose the agreements in court Monday, announced Arbery family lawyer Lee Merritt, who tweeted: "This back room deal represents a betrayal to the Arbery family who is devastated."

"The DOJ has gone behind my back to offer the men who murdered my son a deal to make their time in prison easier for them to serve," Arbery's mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, said in the family's statement.

"I have made it clear at every possible moment that I do not agree to offer these men a plea deal of any kind. I have been completely betrayed by the DOJ's lawyers."

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Send them to Marion. It's not quite ADX Florence and has a nasty reputation.

A cousin of mine spent a few years in Marion. He did not have good things to say about it.

They really need to be sent to a labor camp like that one in Louisiana with the annual rodeo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1488119911348121602

One of the two that reached a deal is already in prison for the rest of his life and the other likely will be as he's not eligible for parole for 30 years. There's not much point in wasting resources to continue to prosecute them. I'm certain their deal has some guaranteed sentence if their state charges were somehow over turned. The last probably didn't accept the deal because it required an admission of guilt or something similar.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1488175534781702147?t=WL0YqZYsNg39uDcT7wqxWg&s=19

Gotta really think about where you went wrong in life to be flying Spirit. Also to be in Space Force

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

If I remember correctly, they're full-blown state-convicted already, so pleading to the federal charges gives everyone a win. The murderers get to serve their sentences in the federal prison versus a state prison. The federal government locks in a conviction that makes sure the murderers serve time even if anything fucks up with the state case - and it basically locks in that the murderers won't appeal said state case.

No clue why people are mad.

Edit: k this explains why people are mad - the Arbery family is mad

https://news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-reach-plea-deal-2-043741701.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

This is why Prosectutors dont work for the victim, they work for the state and the people generally

There is no actual upside to another expensive trial here - the state trial already gave these men their due process and they probably realize its in their best interest to plea. Our prison system is not supposed to be hell on earth - wanting these men subjected to the worst abuses our system of justice can muster is inhumane and beneath what we should ascribe to as a society.

Victims and their families are often upset about plea agreements, thats just the nature of our totally hosed up system.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Send them to Marion. It's not quite ADX Florence and has a nasty reputation.

A cousin of mine spent a few years in Marion. He did not have good things to say about it.

They really need to be sent to a labor camp like that one in Louisiana with the annual rodeo.

Angola prison should be razed to the ground and a memorial built over the charred remains.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 31, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1488175534781702147?t=WL0YqZYsNg39uDcT7wqxWg&s=19

Gotta really think about where you went wrong in life to be flying Spirit. Also to be in Space Force

I, sadly, know that the Space Force is real, but I would still have taken the golden opportunity to feign ignorance.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I, sadly, know that the Space Force is real, but I would still have taken the golden opportunity to feign ignorance.

Do the space force even have a mission that isn't already done by one of the other three branches?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Defenestrategy posted:

Do the marine corps even have a mission that isn't already done by one of the other branches?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Grip it and rip it posted:

Angola prison should be razed to the ground and a memorial built over the charred remains.

I agree. Angola is just an extension of slavery and in a just world, wouldn't exist.

I'm also of the mind that realistically, that won't happen. Their crimes were so malicious, though, that if anyone deserves to break boulders down to aquarium pebbles for the rest of their lives, it's those 3.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crayon based Warfighter Operations

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Crayon based Warfighter Operations

Full Color Spectrum Warrior

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Crayons have a shelf life, you know. The military pays $texas in storage costs!

Also, the Moderna vaccine is now equivalent to Pfizer - both have full-blown FDA approval, no longer an EUA.

https://twitter.com/US_FDA/status/1488187886499512330?t=XNF717yefgvTjMndUkk5JQ&s=19

GET SPIKEVAXXED

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The marines currently exist for the grandchildren of WW2 and Korean war marine veterans can follow in grandpappy's footsteps and be a marine. In some families, it is tradition to sacrifice youth to call yourself a marine. Usually it's the kid that hangs a marine corp flag on their bedroom wall.

Everyone else is just smart enough to join another branch.

If my grandfather had been a marine (he wasn't in any service, smart guy), I'd have been eating crayons as a teenager.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Almost like the Marines instill some sort of cultish mentality in their recruits or something.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The marines currently exist for the grandchildren of WW2 and Korean war marine veterans can follow in grandpappy's footsteps and be a marine. In some families, it is tradition to sacrifice youth to call yourself a marine. Usually it's the kid that hangs a marine corp flag on their bedroom wall.

If my grandfather had been a marine (he wasn't in any service, smart guy), I'd have been eating crayons as a teenager.

My grandfather did navy and then army air force so he could stay home. That feels like the smart way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Do the space force even have a mission that isn't already done by one of the other three branches?

It's a department of the air force and was formed entirely out of renamed air force units. You tell me

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
so space force is like the marines/navy but for the Air Force?

I feel like I'm just watching the US try to create a Halo tv series prequel in real life, except everyone involved is a loving moron

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

So it is the grandkid that the Army mutters about it getting its' poo poo together. Got it.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

boop the snoot posted:

so space force is like the marines/navy but for the Air Force?

Sort of since they both fall under the Department of the Air Force. But it's just basically Air Force Space Command rebranded into its own branch for no reason

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
No reason? Uhhh there is actually an AMAZING REASON related to YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT and our armed forces WINNING BIGLY

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My dad it was the total opposite, he did everything in his power (especially after 9/11 when I was still freshman in college) to ensure I stayed out of the military. It’s not like he was embarrassed about his own time in the service, he just knew there a lot a better paths available now (well for treating ADHD, such as knowing what it is, and goddamn I’d be a bad culture fit. The only thing he could kind of accept would’ve been the Air Force and that’s mostly just so I wouldn’t get shot. But we’ll ADHD is as much a bar as if I had murdered someone and ate their corpse. For further irony points, the Marines are the hardest to get a waiver for, and the Air Force is apparently the easiest, in regards to ADHD. I think he might be the one of the few guys who occasionally puts out a Marine flag who is not insufferable or a CHUD.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's lonely being part of such a highly coveted elite fighting force.

Gonna have to start handing 6ers out to trash talking jealous babies Rah?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
hindsight is 20/20 and all that but my god I am glad I wasn’t accepted to West Point in 2002.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Razor posted:

Sort of since they both fall under the Department of the Air Force. But it's just basically Air Force Space Command rebranded into its own branch for no reason

It's mostly that but they also split up units under Air Combat Command to give it an Intel piece

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hekk posted:

It's lonely being part of such a highly coveted elite fighting force.

Gonna have to start handing 6ers out to trash talking jealous babies Rah?

Fair, it's not like you can count any higher.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

devmd01 posted:

hindsight is 20/20 and all that but my god I am glad I wasn’t accepted to West Point in 2002.

Annapolis 96 for me, and then deciding not to go to OCS in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/russia-ukraine-generation-z-instagram-putin/

quote:

As tensions rise in Europe and the United States prepares to send troops to support Ukraine against Russia, Generation Z has taken on another approach — simply asking Russian President Vladimir Putin to “please consider to just not start the war.”

An unverified Instagram account for Putin has been flooded with comments, apparently from Gen Z users born between 1997 and 2012, saying that World War III is “not the vibe,” and offering an exchange of “5 mcnuggets to stop the war.”

“Vlad Daddy we are in Mercury Retrograde!” one person commented. “Not a good time to start a war! I suggest an art project instead!”

“Hey daddy putin, I know you’re in a silly goofy mood but please don’t start ww3🥰🥰🤪🤪,” another commented.

“No war pls😢❤️,” reads another.

“You not you when you hungry,” said another, apparently taking pointers from a Snickers advertisement campaign.