Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Seems like a weird place to expend man hours for a company with QA problems like Tesla but meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

Oh no, software to keep you from exceeding the duty cycle of the seat motors. The horrors.

:rolleyes:

I would simply spec motors with a better duty cycle.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Or, we could spec even cheaper motors with a lower duty cycle and allow you to move the seat one inch every five minutes, creating value for the end user

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Please tap your credit card on the dashboard card reader for additional seat movement options.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

MrYenko posted:

Oh no, software to keep you from exceeding the duty cycle of the seat motors. The horrors.

:rolleyes:

You're missing the point. Many, many cars have power seats and there's no epidemic of seat self destruction due to "abuse" of the feature. Only Tesla is monitoring how you move your seat and preventing you from doing it under certain conditions that they won't define. You don't think that qualifies as "Terrible car stuff"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Because there are many, many cars that have electric seats, and I haven't heard of an epidemic of burnt out seat motors in any other brand, there are only two possibilities here:

1) Tesla seat motors are even smaller and cheaper than everyone else's, with an absolutely microscopic duty cycle.

2) Tesla owners are manchildren who can't stop themselves from loving around with the seats for minutes at a time, because haha look I can control it from the touch screen haha it's like an iPad game haha

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't you control the seats with the track balls on the steering wheel? I can see that being amusing for people who don't set their seat to a specific position and feel all weird if it changes by a millimeter.

(so glad I have memory seats now cause I would spend days fidgeting with my seat after someone else drove the car)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

Don't you control the seats with the track balls on the steering wheel? I can see that being amusing for people who don't set their seat to a specific position and feel all weird if it changes by a millimeter.

(so glad I have memory seats now cause I would spend days fidgeting with my seat after someone else drove the car)

When I had this problem I worked out a technique where I hold the adjustment lever on my non-electric seat and can feel it pass the detents so could put it back exactly where I want it every time. The part that really drove me crazy was the mirrors.

Unrelated to that but actually on topic for the thread, I went on a lunch run a few minutes ago and saw one of those all-black jeeps with a bunch of aftermarket crap, including angry headlights. It had weird blue ring headlights which I'm pretty sure is technically illegal. It's a lot of money to spend just to look like a tool. I wish people would at least get creative with it. Like, I can google up ideas for different things to do to the lights

but they're all mockups done in photoshop.

I also found a bunch of heinous poo poo like this

and also a bunch of jeep donks (jonks?) which are so dumb they wrap back around. A braver man than I will have to decide which thread they belong in.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 31, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

grrr I'm an ANGRY Jeep!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's how you can tell me apart from all the thousands of OTHER jeeps on this highway commute!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Almost all the Jeeps I see have a frowny face so you are still anonymous.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

and also a bunch of jeep donks (jonks?) which are so dumb they wrap back around. A braver man than I will have to decide which thread they belong in.

Not kink shaming but gimp JEEP makes me feel uncomfortable.

I did not consent to be exposed to this particular JC Whitney fetish gear.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jeeps with angry eyes easily outnumber those without around me.

Rawr I'm so angry and tough

And also the multicolored LED rings around the headlights which seemingly nobody enforces.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

Not kink shaming but gimp JEEP makes me feel uncomfortable.

I did not consent to be exposed to this particular JC Whitney fetish gear.

Brother, I have such sights to show you.

They’re local to me, and while they squeeze out a couple of these a year, even the “normal” Jeeps they build are every bit as horrible as that abomination. The owners are generally also exactly the people you think they are.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

When I had this problem I worked out a technique where I hold the adjustment lever on my non-electric seat and can feel it pass the detents so could put it back exactly where I want it every time. The part that really drove me crazy was the mirrors.

Unrelated to that but actually on topic for the thread, I went on a lunch run a few minutes ago and saw one of those all-black jeeps with a bunch of aftermarket crap, including angry headlights. It had weird blue ring headlights which I'm pretty sure is technically illegal. It's a lot of money to spend just to look like a tool. I wish people would at least get creative with it. Like, I can google up ideas for different things to do to the lights

but they're all mockups done in photoshop.

Is.. is that supposed to be a snake front???

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

They should have made it illegal for anything after the CJ-7 to be called a Jeep

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Is.. is that supposed to be a snake front???

More like a nightjar
:shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cacafuego posted:

I’d ask my brother about it as he’s a civil engineer in PA and among building roads, he talks about how the state is ignoring bridge maintenance, but then I’ll get an earful about how trump wouldn’t have let this happen, it’s all biden’s fault, etc, etc. So, nah.

Ah, yes, because those bridges definitely weren't already rusted and failing before 2020. Steel frequently goes from "bridge support" to "swiss cheese" in the span of a year or two. It's a known effect of non-Republican Presidents.

Can I secede from the human race, please?

The picture that caught my attention was the funeral procession for the two slain officers in NYC, where there was wall-to-wall cops for at least a couple blocks visible. Like, more cops than in the entire state of Texas probably not... Why does NYC need that many cops? The icing was one of the comments that pointed out that NYC's MTA had added $249 million worth of cops. To stop an estimated $200 million in fare jumping. Makes sense. /sarcasm

Powershift posted:

Because a tach would be too much of a luxury in a manual transmission truck, the world's largest fuel gauge.

My '96 Jeep Cherokee had that.

quote:

Working hard to increase excitement.

MrYenko posted:

Brother, I have such sights to show you.

They’re local to me, and while they squeeze out a couple of these a year, even the “normal” Jeeps they build are every bit as horrible as that abomination. The owners are generally also exactly the people you think they are.

I'll take "Jeeps that will never see more dirt than a gravel road" for $5000, Alex.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I were a betting man I'd say that back axle on the 6 wheeler is undriven.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

The picture that caught my attention was the funeral procession for the two slain officers in NYC, where there was wall-to-wall cops for at least a couple blocks visible. Like, more cops than in the entire state of Texas probably not... Why does NYC need that many cops? The icing was one of the comments that pointed out that NYC's MTA had added $249 million worth of cops. To stop an estimated $200 million in fare jumping. Makes sense. /sarcasm

A lot of those cops came from elsewhere, off duty, retired ect.

Also, that's a great hot take on the MTA cops. It's not like anything ever happens there that would require security.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/15/nyregion/woman-pushed-on-train-death.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Funny you should mention that, because there's a video of a ton of cops fare jumping while maskless from this weekend

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/dozens-nypd-maskless-officers-subway-tiktok/

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7058696728173661486

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Because there are many, many cars that have electric seats, and I haven't heard of an epidemic of burnt out seat motors in any other brand, there are only two possibilities here:

1) Tesla seat motors are even smaller and cheaper than everyone else's, with an absolutely microscopic duty cycle.

2) Tesla owners are manchildren who can't stop themselves from loving around with the seats for minutes at a time, because haha look I can control it from the touch screen haha it's like an iPad game haha

I had a quick search on a few Tesla sites and it seems like the existing seat motors are weak and it's a known issue that they kill themselves. So this is their 'fix' it seems. :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

edit: NVM
This is the terrible car stuff thread, not terrible cop stuff.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I know AvE is a chud, but his latest video is especially bad. gently caress him.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I know AvE is a chud, but his latest video is especially bad. gently caress him.

I didn't know he was a chud but I also haven't watched his videos in a few years. What'd he do? Was he in the convoy?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I didn't know he was a chud but I also haven't watched his videos in a few years. What'd he do? Was he in the convoy?

https://youtu.be/mTbewfX3q34

If you don't want to click it, it's a short video seemingly endorsing the convoy poo poo in Canada

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 1, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I unsubscribed after this one. No amount of chooching can make up for that psychotic poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

My '96 Jeep Cherokee had that.

To be fair, it was a 2.5... it was never capable of hitting redline once it was tasked with moving a vehicle. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

If you don't want to click it, it's a short video seemingly endorsing the convoy poo poo in Canada

i've been saying for fuckin years that the guy was a chud, ever since he started selling those rulers graduated in "oval office hairs" (blonde/redhead/brunette/mediterranean, naturally), and everyone was like nooo that's just how shop guys talk, quit being so sensitive, it's all part of his act

gently caress him. i have relatives in ottawa and they said some of the trucks in the convoy are flying literal nazi flags. gently caress him

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i've been saying for fuckin years that the guy was a chud, ever since he started selling those rulers graduated in "oval office hairs" (blonde/redhead/brunette/mediterranean, naturally), and everyone was like nooo that's just how shop guys talk, quit being so sensitive, it's all part of his act

gently caress him. i have relatives in ottawa and they said some of the trucks in the convoy are flying literal nazi flags. gently caress him

There were most definitely nazi flags in the convoy from what I saw.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I regret to inform you all that I read the comments, and AvE is delusional or just afraid to admit that he's fine hanging out with Nazis

(Comments all from the same thread)

edit: big pictures

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 1, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"fudging washington post," lmao

i saw a picture of guy carrying three flags:

1) gadsden flag (what?)
2) actual nazi flag
3) big blue banner that says F🍁CK TRUDEAU

gee i'm glad you put that maple leaf there, buddy! you wouldn't want to offend anyone

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sagebrush posted:

1) gadsden flag (what?)
2) actual nazi flag

gee i'm glad you put that maple leaf there, buddy! you wouldn't want to offend anyone

They are not sending their brightest.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

To prove there were no white supremacists in the whole thing, one of the speakers asked if there were any white supremacists. Someone said yes, and the crowd cheered them. So...yeah.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

1) gadsden flag (what?)
2) actual nazi flag

Coupled with hanging the US Civil War loser flag off their trucks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've not been following along with this convoy thing, can someone give me a short overview of what the deal is please?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

To prove there were no white supremacists in the whole thing, one of the speakers asked if there were any white supremacists. Someone said yes, and the crowd cheered them. So...yeah.

Wait I thought Canada solved racism???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A bunch of Canadian truckers, primarily in Alberta (which is Canada's Texas), have been very upset by recent changes to the Canadian border protocols. Now that the vaccines are widely available, truckers travelling from the USA into Canada must be vaccinated, or they have to quarantine for two weeks on entry. Violating the quarantine can be up to a $1 million fine and 3 years in prison. Most Canadian truckers cross the border regularly, and obviously a two week quarantine puts them out of work. So the antivaxx ones are really mad.

To protest these restrictions, they decided to drive to Ottawa, the capital, in a convoy, to make themselves heard. I think it started with around 150 trucks, but it has gathered more along the way, along with a pile of other chuds and shitheads and wackos who don't have anywhere else to be. Now they have all arrived in Ottawa and are basically doing a Canadian impression of the 1/6 insurrection. Canada never commits to anything as fully as the USA, so they haven't yet invaded any government buildings, but they're doing their best, including:

- swarming all over the city harassing anyone who's wearing a mask
- threatening various restaurants and bars and demanding free food and beer
- stomping all over various national monuments
- parking their cars on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- defacing public art, e.g. the statue of Terry Fox, a teenager who died trying to run across Canada with an artificial leg to raise money for cancer research
- calling in bomb threats on minority-owned businesses
- carrying around all sorts of misguided flags, including upside-down Canadian flags, Gadsden flags, Confederate flags, Trump 2024 flags, and actual Nazi flags; the latter is particularly ironic when placed alongside the very polite censored "F🍁CK TRUDEAU" flags many are carrying

Their demands, incidentally, have now evolved into just "make everything back the way it was." They insist that they want no vaccines, no masks, no closures, no restrictions...but also no shipping delays, no shortages, no people getting sick, no covid. It's almost childlike, I guess?

The prime minister tried to be conciliatory by saying that most of the protesters were good citizens, and only an "unacceptable fringe minority" were bad actors. They of course immediately jumped on this just like Hillary's "basket of deplorables" comment, and lots of the trucks now have UNACCEPTABLE FRINGE written on them in the winter grime. Everyone there knows exactly why they're there; see the white supremacist comment a few posts up.

Oh, and both Elon Musk and Jordan Peterson support them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

God drat, I wasn't expecting quite this much info. Thank you very much! Seems like the kinda of anti-vax/anti-mask protests we've had over here but with more trucks. The people taking part seem equally unhinged/thick as poo poo though with similar amounts of nazi bellends in the mix too, ironically comparing 'enforced' vaccinations (ie; please get one for your own safety) to the holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I think it started with around 150* trucks
*15 actual rigs with trailers made it across the country, which makes it even more hilarious.

Oh, and a splinter group in southern Alberta is blockading a highway just over the border, loving over truckers on both sides who, you know, are just trying to do their jobs.