Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

tithin posted:

Is that a new secret character?

I think it's been in the game since the most recent patch. To unlock them you need to kill the grim reaper at the end of the match. This is functionally impossible to do in a real run, so you need to dive into the game's javascript file to alter the damage of a weapon of choice to kill him in one hit. Missingno has random stats across to board, meaning runs with them can be all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

tithin posted:

Is that a new secret character?

Yep, you get it by beating death (which as far as I know requires cheating by editing game files, there are guides online) and its gimmick is that it has randomized stat changes every game. You can get something absurd like +100% might or something infuriating like -101% movespeed, which works out to moving at 1% movespeed with reversed controls.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's the kinda old school "cheat codes / game secrets" kinda poo poo that needs to come back.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So you mean that rumour about killing death to play as him was actually real, even though the only way to kill him is to literally hack your game

Sab669 posted:

That's the kinda old school "cheat codes / game secrets" kinda poo poo that needs to come back.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I was bored tonight and somehow this game ended up on my radar. For $3 I figured what the hell.

OH MY GOD why is this game so fun!? Do people know about this??? I've been messaging friends about this game like a mad man all night.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's a 'walking in a crowded mall' sim. You know, where you can't take two steps without bobbing and dodging some jerk not paying attention. Then you add in the fantasy of 'man, I wish I had a rotating circle of axes around me' and boom, instant bad-rear end gameplay.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I had to.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Don't even talk to me until you've played the game on this:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's actually really nice with an arcade stick. You can drink/smoke with the other hand all day long.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WASD superiority :toot:

Thumb on space bar and you're good for all your 1-handed gaming needs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hmm, I lost MissingNo with the update; do I just have to unlock it again or was it pulled out?

e: Nvm it reunlocks

Does "recover 1000 hp" mean I have to take damage AND recover it or just eat a shitload of floor meat. Does it have to be in one run?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 30, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the clock lancet is actually a good pickup after you get vandelier because it basically lets you walk through dense masses of enemies to pick up loot that would otherwise be out of reach.

Also, :lol: @ the updated forest level where I can walk through some scenery but not through other scenery, and my enemies can walk through all of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, I lost MissingNo with the update; do I just have to unlock it again or was it pulled out?

e: Nvm it reunlocks

Does "recover 1000 hp" mean I have to take damage AND recover it or just eat a shitload of floor meat. Does it have to be in one run?
Definitely can just eat a shitload of floor meat / use the upgraded whip, I believe it's not in one run but I did it one run with the whip so I can't prove that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"Fine, I guess I'll unlock Gennaro. I don't like knives but whatever."

*30 minutes and three evolved weapons later*

:stare:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, turns out a lot of the best weapons scale well with projectiles! I think the other projectile character is probably my #1

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

tildes posted:

Yeah, turns out a lot of the best weapons scale well with projectiles! I think the other projectile character is probably my #1

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was a big fan of Gennaro at first, getting +1 Proj out of the gate felt really good, but as I got more comfortable with the game I kinda prefer either the first guy - forget his name, scales Attack Damage with levels. Either that or the newly added Garlic man, just because guaranteed garlic out of the gate makes early game so easy.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This game is really good despite itself

Is it the price tag that made this game viral where other similar games have not taken off the same way? Eitherway I've started working on a similar game lol and I'm sure many others have too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

field balm posted:

This game is really good despite itself

Is it the price tag that made this game viral where other similar games have not taken off the same way? Eitherway I've started working on a similar game lol and I'm sure many others have too.

I think it's just a really, really fun game play loop. It feels addictive like you'd expect a phone game to be but there isn't any of the nasty stuff that usually comes along with that like micro transactions or what have you. The $3 price just helps you sell it to friends because honestly it doesn't show well in screenshots or even short videos.

I got a friend to try it by saying, "You've gotta check this game out. I know it doesn't look like much but it's only $3. You'll see what I'm talking about if you just play it for ten minutes." They responded with, "Okay like five minutes in and I understand."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It's also just good enough in all the right places. Never had an appreciable slowdown, the volume balance is horrible and sound effects stock-sounding but just good enough to be addicting, sprites checking the nostalgia box just enough to make up for the lack of animation, etc.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Hyper Green Acres is rough, barely beat it with a real character, no idea how people are doing it with the Ghost.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the lizard fellow now sports a Witch's hat

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Knife Tornado won me my first run. It's just a constant stream of knives and it really tickles my lizard brain.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

grate deceiver posted:

8 hrs and one win in, I'm starting to notice there's actually a lot more trap options than just the pentagram.

Heath, armor and shield are absolutely useless. As soon as you start getting overwhelmed by enemies, you're dead. No amount of hp will help you. Those could be damage powerups instead.

Hp regen is useless for the same reason, but it can upgrade garlic, so whatever.

Mask is useless, getting farther in a run with a damage powerup gives you more coins anyway. Speed seems useless mostly? I think getting the permanent upgrade gives you all the speed you should need.

Crown - useless. Lancet - useless.

For weapons, knife is terrible. You usually move away from enemies, so you're just shooting into empty space. Hate it. Whip seems lame for a similar reason.

I agree with most of these but knife is actually really good, and whip isn’t bad. Fully upgraded they both provide enough knockback to keep stuff back a ways, and pair well with other AoE weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The whip works pretty well in the library. Stack projectile buffs and hug the bottom

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was just starting out, I really liked Genarro + Whip for that early game bidirectional damage.

Or just legitimately skilling up the whip twice 🙃

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Hwurmp posted:

the lizard fellow now sports a Witch's hat

followed by a jaunty pirate (with a witch hat)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sab669 posted:

Yea I was just starting out, I really liked Genarro + Whip for that early game bidirectional damage.

Or just legitimately skilling up the whip twice 🙃

Whip gets crazy with multiple projectiles buffs. At +2, it strikes twice in front of you and once behind. At +5, it'll strike three times on both sides, which you can pull off with knife guy or the skeleton. The skeleton can go up to +7.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume that's with a Duplicator, right? And the "meta" +1 Projectiles?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

8 hrs and one win in, I'm starting to notice there's actually a lot more trap options than just the pentagram.

Heath, armor and shield are absolutely useless. As soon as you start getting overwhelmed by enemies, you're dead. No amount of hp will help you. Those could be damage powerups instead.

Hp regen is useless for the same reason, but it can upgrade garlic, so whatever.

Mask is useless, getting farther in a run with a damage powerup gives you more coins anyway. Speed seems useless mostly? I think getting the permanent upgrade gives you all the speed you should need.

Crown - useless. Lancet - useless.

For weapons, knife is terrible. You usually move away from enemies, so you're just shooting into empty space. Hate it. Whip seems lame for a similar reason.

Those aren't traps. The shield ends up with 3 charges and a second of invulnerability each time, armor makes incidental damage from little guys meaningless, and the HP adds up. All of them may not be OPTIMAL but they won't gently caress you over like the pentagram will.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sab669 posted:

I assume that's with a Duplicator, right? And the "meta" +1 Projectiles?

Yup, the meta-powerup and duplicator give +3 together, whip itself gets +1 from 2nd level, then +1 from knife guy or up to +3 from skeleton guy.

Grondoth posted:

Those aren't traps. The shield ends up with 3 charges and a second of invulnerability each time, armor makes incidental damage from little guys meaningless, and the HP adds up. All of them may not be OPTIMAL but they won't gently caress you over like the pentagram will.

Yup. Would I rather waste a weapon slot on low-damage garlic or use a passive slot to just not take chip damage?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m convinced that Duplicator is the best powerup.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't think of anything I'd pick over it, no.

Only reason not to is if it's your last Upgrade slot and you still need [item] to upgrade [weapon].

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sab669 posted:

I can't think of anything I'd pick over it, no.

Only reason not to is if it's your last Upgrade slot and you still need [item] to upgrade [weapon].

I'd still take Duplicator over a lot of evolutions, tbh. Duplicator massively buffs almost every weapon, with only a few exceptions.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

I'd still take Duplicator over a lot of evolutions, tbh. Duplicator massively buffs almost every weapon, with only a few exceptions.

It's interesting because duplicator is most impactful early game, but that's also when you're hunting your first evolve to carry you from ~10 min to ~20 min.

Like if I had a weapon at level 6-8 at around ~10 min and I get offered the evolution item or duplicator, I'm slam picking evolution every time.

If you get offered duplicator at ~5 minutes or you don't have a weapon ready to evolve you slam pick it no doubt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hello Sailor posted:

Whip gets crazy with multiple projectiles buffs. At +2, it strikes twice in front of you and once behind. At +5, it'll strike three times on both sides, which you can pull off with knife guy or the skeleton. The skeleton can go up to +7.

Even better when you start wiggling A/D so you can hit the same dude with both the front and back strikes.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

withak posted:

I’m convinced that Duplicator is the best powerup.

Spinach is boring but better (probably, depending on maths)
But porque no los dos

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Duplicator adds 2/N% damage for all your projectile attacks. If you have a lot of projectile-based attacks and not a lot of extra projectiles it adds a lot of damage. The added damage has diminishing returns, though, and also drops off if you have things like garlic that don’t benefit from it.

Spinach adds some flat damage scaling to everything so yeah. Maths.

awesmoe posted:

But porque no los dos

Plus, you need spinach for the fire wand evolution (which is extremely good) so might as well tack that on too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Duplicator counts for unholy vespers and garlic knockback means things get hit into those again, so its not as one sided as that. I had a run that was evolved garlic/wand/book/birds and a couple of other things that weren't so important and I could just sit there for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Duplicator is better because you can see the extra projectile.