Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do the ovens lock now?

Are you having your stay at home alone toddler press the oven button for you so you can get the heating started before you get home?
They do when on cleaning mode. As a computer toucher, none of us like any of this poo poo, and it is not a good idea for all kinds of reasons, the first of which is that you absolutely cannot count on an appliance company (or a tech company!) to keep security updates coming for the life of the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1488555256162172928

Pretty worrying.

I still can't believe that Tesla's allowed to just push this to public roads, even with the vague cover of it being a "beta".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Using the FSD costs $12000, which I take is just collateral for the inevitable damages (which Tesla might have to compensate after years in court).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Crain posted:

Pretty worrying.

I still can't believe that Tesla's allowed to just push this to public roads, even with the vague cover of it being a "beta".

It’s just in Boston Driver Mode.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s just in Boston Driver Mode.

I mean, even Boston drivers avoid direct attempts at other's lives.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Neito posted:

They do? Sure didn't seem that way.

Boston Driver Mode sounds like it should be a close relation to the Heated Gaming Moment.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hobnob posted:

They do? Sure didn't seem that way.

Boston Driver Mode sounds like it should be a close relation to the Heated Gaming Moment.

I mean granted, my only experience driving in Boston is as a passenger, but I've yet to see any taxies or uber drivers murder a man with their cars.

Yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Boston commuter driving is pretty hectic but usually Boston drivers aren't constantly trying to commit suicide. YMMV.

I guess Zuck really screwed up by not being narcissistic enough to cultivate an online cult, Tesla really has yet to face the same kind of reckoning.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Volmarias posted:

Let me know when a child has put an empty milk carton back into the fridge and I will mash the purchase button for it

You’re in luck because Amazon has a product for you!

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Smart-Shelf/dp/B07RRYWPPX

I think the way it works is there’s a scale and you “pair” it to an item by weighing it (maybe both full and empty?) and then when it’s empty it can buy a new one for you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"gently caress pedestrian right of way" mode

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Computer set manslaughter threshold to 5

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
My car, my choice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the way it works is there’s a scale and you “pair” it to an item by weighing it (maybe both full and empty?) and then when it’s empty it can buy a new one for you.

I'm... the person who will put an empty milk carton back in the fridge, onto a special scale?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's great, now I can get all the thrill of "unexpected item in baggage area" in my own house.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nenonen posted:

Using the FSD costs $12000

You can believe it, man, it's true
Somewhere Elon Muk's laughing 'til he wets his pants

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Neito posted:

Uh, yeah ... I guess that's why they drive the wrong way on 1-way streets etc.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Crain posted:

Pretty worrying.

I would like somebody to describe what it would look like if Tesla was "not allowed" to do the bad thing they are currently doing. Gonna pull their FCC licenses so they can't distribute the software? Is that even something the FCC is capable of doing?

Some judge gonna ask a sheriff to drive to Tesla HQ and have them arrest the servers?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Sextro posted:

Some judge gonna ask a sheriff to drive to Tesla HQ and have them arrest the servers?

yes

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How many people drive and own Tesla’s that won’t work if they take the servers down?

That solution hardly seems workable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw on reddit that youtube's apparently started doing this now:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

gently caress that, and gently caress you, Google. :effort:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just saw on reddit that youtube's apparently started doing this now:

I'm waiting for more info on this one. As far as I can tell, it seems to be affecting exactly one trucking protest livestream, and most folks are just reposting the same screenshot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Baronash posted:

I'm waiting for more info on this one. As far as I can tell, it seems to be affecting exactly one trucking protest livestream, and most folks are just reposting the same screenshot.

I have no idea about this protest stream or whatever, but wouldn't the error message be the same when applied to other (possible) channels/streams?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not sure that limiting viewability of new accounts is necessarily a bad thing. It depends on how they are apply this (knowing Google, probably extremely poorly). I'm torn. It could prevent people from posting stuff that is extremely important to spread (like cops murdering people) but it also prevents really evil poo poo like insane propaganda and creepy rear end child brainwashing cartoons

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

The Sean posted:

I have no idea about this protest stream or whatever, but wouldn't the error message be the same when applied to other (possible) channels/streams?

I would think so, but details have been pretty sparse so far, and I haven't seen anyone chiming in to say how they got this error trying to watch their Naruto fanart streamer or whatever.

The account that was doing the stream (Link, but really not that interesting) is just some random dude's personal channel with a bunch of videos from years ago with a few hundred views (and a couple with significantly more than that). I wouldn't be surprised if there are automated processes that flag a z-tier Youtube account suddenly running a stream with 1k+ concurrent viewers because I would assume that most of the time that happens, they are probably streaming the NBA playoffs or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sextro posted:

I would like somebody to describe what it would look like if Tesla was "not allowed" to do the bad thing they are currently doing. Gonna pull their FCC licenses so they can't distribute the software? Is that even something the FCC is capable of doing?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Sextro posted:

How many people drive and own Tesla’s that won’t work if they take the servers down?

That solution hardly seems workable.

yes it does

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronash posted:

I would think so, but details have been pretty sparse so far, and I haven't seen anyone chiming in to say how they got this error trying to watch their Naruto fanart streamer or whatever.

Eh, they have had it forever, like you need 1000 followers to go live on mobile and a verified email to go live on desktop. New accounts basically start out a little restricted and you need to build up a little to use everything. Like you level up over a few days from can't post videos, to can post videos with restrictions to can just post videos. You also have a bunch of limits on interacting with videos initially. They also take exactly 24 hours to 'verify your account" when you request the livestream tab to activate that seems like the time delay is the point rather than a real verification.

It doesn't really seem too sinister. It mostly seems like a barrier to making 10,000 automated accounts a second to spam your rick and morty cryptocurrency all over youtube nonstop then use a bunch of other accounts to upvote it to the front page. Like it used to be a higher number of followers you needed to be able to live stream, they lowered it a ton so it takes less to stream but you get a little tiny streaming room for like 1000 people instead of the uncapped one that requires real audience that have engaged enough.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Volmarias posted:

I'm... the person who will put an empty milk carton back in the fridge, onto a special scale?

No your child.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boris Galerkin posted:

(Not compatible with homes that have cats)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

Find whoever at Tesla signed off on releasing the software (probably Elon), and inform them that they will face individual (not corporate) liability for any injuries or deaths resulting from Full-Self-Drive.

Watch a software update disabling FSD be released 14 minutes later.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dunno if this is the right thread to ask, but probably might be so here goes

one of the thing's that i've been fascinated by the most in tech is youtube's growth. not that it became ridiculously popular and continues to be to this day, but rather, specifically the growth its achieved on the technical side. according to a quick google search, 500 hours of youtube vids are uploaded every MINUTE, which leads to 720,000 hours per DAY.

now this may not have been as much of a big deal (though i would still argue it would be) back in the day when all YT was just SD and sub-SD content. but over the years we got HD, 4k and now even 8k content, each jump being a pretty massive linear jump. youtube also no longer limits videos to 10 min. parts like they did back in the old days either so people can now stream hours of content at a time in super high resolutions.

so my question is, how the hell is this sustainable? i'm honestly surprised YT has lasted as long as it did given the direction it's gone down. and that's just the technical side. it must be incredibly expensive to buy new servers and such to handle all this poo poo, so i don't even know how they're making profits.

or am i just completely off base and YT will handle things just fine?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

The Lone Badger posted:

Find whoever at Tesla signed off on releasing the software (probably Elon), and inform them that they will face individual (not corporate) liability for any injuries or deaths resulting from Full-Self-Drive.

Watch a software update disabling FSD be released 14 minutes later.

Didn't their chief legal officer resign like early summer 2021?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mr Interweb posted:

one of the thing's that i've been fascinated by the most in tech is youtube's growth. not that it became ridiculously popular and continues to be to this day, but rather, specifically the growth its achieved on the technical side. according to a quick google search, 500 hours of youtube vids are uploaded every MINUTE, which leads to 720,000 hours per DAY.

now this may not have been as much of a big deal (though i would still argue it would be) back in the day when all YT was just SD and sub-SD content. but over the years we got HD, 4k and now even 8k content, each jump being a pretty massive linear jump. youtube also no longer limits videos to 10 min. parts like they did back in the old days either so people can now stream hours of content at a time in super high resolutions.

so my question is, how the hell is this sustainable? i'm honestly surprised YT has lasted as long as it did given the direction it's gone down. and that's just the technical side. it must be incredibly expensive to buy new servers and such to handle all this poo poo, so i don't even know how they're making profits.

Data storage is actually incredibly cheap compared to what it once was. And Google themselves are a cloud provider.
But even so youtube runs at a loss. Always has, possibly always will. But the data they get is so valuable to Google that they don't care.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

They are selling an unbelievable amount of ads. Like $30 billion worth each year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Remulak posted:

I connected my dishwasher to Wi-Fi thinking I could tweak obscure settings, such as drying agent amounts. Nope, just the same controls that are on the front, without even differentiating by model. Garbage

Somebody posted a Tweet the other day of her dishwasher demanding a firmware update on its screen, then showing a progress bar. Meanwhile, it wouldn't actually wash the dishes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

On google's S3 equivalent data is only about 2 cents per GB per month at the most available tier. A video can get big, but only really gigabytes big. So like, $22,000 a month for a PB or 22 million a month for an exobyte aren't chump change but pretty much are for something the scale of google. Like I am sure storage costs matter a ton but as a core of their business it really isn't that much money.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

peej posted:

They are selling an unbelievable amount of ads. Like $30 billion worth each year.

but aren't they still operating at a massive loss?

Mega Comrade posted:

Data storage is actually incredibly cheap compared to what it once was. And Google themselves are a cloud provider.
But even so youtube runs at a loss. Always has, possibly always will. But the data they get is so valuable to Google that they don't care.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

On google's S3 equivalent data is only about 2 cents per GB per month at the most available tier. A video can get big, but only really gigabytes big. So like, $22,000 a month for a PB or 22 million a month for an exobyte aren't chump change but pretty much are for something the scale of google. Like I am sure storage costs matter a ton but as a core of their business it really isn't that much money.

okay well that would explain the financial part, i suppose. but what about building infrastructure (server farms, bandwidth etc.) ?

zhar
May 3, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

okay well that would explain the financial part, i suppose. but what about building infrastructure (server farms, bandwidth etc.) ?

isn't that just a function of financials? You can see all the datacenters google have and are building here, looks like they cost around $600m each to build and doubtless have some fairly large operating costs but they are used for all google services not just youtube. according to their latest earning report youtube ads brought in $8.633b last quarter alone and it doesn't look like that includes the premium stuff/superchat and so on, doesn't seem that unsustainable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody posted a Tweet the other day of her dishwasher demanding a firmware update on its screen, then showing a progress bar. Meanwhile, it wouldn't actually wash the dishes.

I keep getting emails telling me to update the firmware on my bike jacket