Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You: "It's better to get evolved weapons early because it allows you to better clean up the map and take out elites early, letting you ramp up damage production and collect more chests"

Me: haha duplicator make magic wand go zap zap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There's definitely an optimal way to play when you're starting out to unlock stuff and get more cash per run, but once you've got most of the powerups unlocked you can kinda do whatever you want and it works. Before the latest map, anyway, the only way to reinsert challenge was creatively limiting yourself (using "bad" characters, removing powerups, excluding items, not moving, etc.).

But really, agree with this mostly:

thecluckmeme posted:

You: "It's better to get evolved weapons early because it allows you to better clean up the map and take out elites early, letting you ramp up damage production and collect more chests"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy wand go zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap though

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

thecluckmeme posted:

Vampire Survivors - duplicator make magic wand go zap zap

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just a note for anyone curious about more detailed game mechanics, the new info bot channel on the official discord will barf out stuff like this if you do !weaponname or !charactername:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I must be old because that seems like the most convoluted possible way to share that information.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do you get the three new achievements? Do you have to opt back out of beta branch or something? Obviously I've done them but reopening the game/starting and finishing a run didn't do it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do you get the three new achievements? Do you have to opt back out of beta branch or something? Obviously I've done them but reopening the game/starting and finishing a run didn't do it.

Opt out of beta, fire up the client, go to options, press the "sync steam achievements" button.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

McCracAttack posted:

I must be old because that seems like the most convoluted possible way to share that information.

Honestly, it's no different than a giant post on some indie dev's forum back in the day

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

at least it's not a video

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

I don't see the appeal of it over a wikia site, either. Definitely old.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Fewer ads?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Adblock?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Keep in mind a lot of gamers (that are younger than you) use Discord not only as a voip solution, but also as their main messaging app. And in a lot of cases, it becomes their main social networking app as well. In other words, yes, you are all old as gently caress. I am too, btw.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Last night I evolved the Garlic, Knife, Magic Wand, and Whip for the first time, all in a single run. It was on the hyper library. Made it to 29 and a half minutes or so before I got overwhelmed.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Wikis require a surprisingly large and devoted fanbase to maintain. Outside of a few examples most fan wikis range from inconsistent and outdated to only having pages for 10% of the content. Meanwhile a stat database can often be maintained by a single developer scraping the game files, and the only thing lost is the marginalia that wikis sometimes accumulate (if the wiki allows it, and if they have a way from separating good advice by expert players from the Silent Hill circumcision guy).

If anything this feels like a return to databases and IRC lookup bots after years of vainly thinking there was enough labor to turn everything into Wikipedia.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Anyone got a hot tip for getting the 5k gold for the new character? I got up to like 3500 once on Hyper Library. Just Git Good? I maxed out Luck and Greed for meta bonuses.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pnumoman posted:

Keep in mind a lot of gamers (that are younger than you) use Discord not only as a voip solution, but also as their main messaging app. And in a lot of cases, it becomes their main social networking app as well. In other words, yes, you are all old as gently caress. I am too, btw.

I just don't get wanting all your stuff in 1 place, I guess is what it boils down to, but to each their own

Microcline posted:

Wikis require a surprisingly large and devoted fanbase to maintain. Outside of a few examples most fan wikis range from inconsistent and outdated to only having pages for 10% of the content. Meanwhile a stat database can often be maintained by a single developer scraping the game files, and the only thing lost is the marginalia that wikis sometimes accumulate (if the wiki allows it, and if they have a way from separating good advice by expert players from the Silent Hill circumcision guy).

If anything this feels like a return to databases and IRC lookup bots after years of vainly thinking there was enough labor to turn everything into Wikipedia.

Yea as a proof of concept I guess I get it, you can stand up just a little text-delivery bot much faster than designing a whole website.

Just that for me I'd way rather be able to Ctrl+Tab through a dozen browser tabs and bookmark poo poo and all the other features that come with an actual website :shrug:

But enough of a derail :v:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Ctrl+Tab through a dozen browser tabs

:barf:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Anyone got a hot tip for getting the 5k gold for the new character? I got up to like 3500 once on Hyper Library. Just Git Good? I maxed out Luck and Greed for meta bonuses.

Is that a full run? I hit 5k on a run without really trying and I don't even have those upgrades maxed.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Hyper for the gold bonus, get meta powerups that help you kill instead of luck and greed, and make sure you get as much xp as you can just before the reaper appears so you get as many bags of gold as you can. It's mostly about getting to 30 minutes, it's a fairly easy cheevo if you know your evolutions and can get to 30 minutes.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

On library you get stone mask for free without it taking a slot anyway, so I get like 6500-7k every run.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GigaPeon posted:

You want a build that can obliterate everything as you move around. Picking up items from braziers is a big boost, especially with high luck where it will also reliably feed you tons of XP that you may have missed. Take +speed and +duration. The strongest combo is probably bone + runetracer + bible + holy water + vandalier + cross. You don't necessarily have to move straight or all that quickly, just enough to keep braziers spawning around you so you can pick the drops up.

Definitely get the mask as a 6th passive, it will easily get you more than the 125 gold it costs you to level it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

K8.0 posted:

You want a build that can obliterate everything as you move around. Picking up items from braziers is a big boost, especially with high luck where it will also reliably feed you tons of XP that you may have missed. Take +speed and +duration. The strongest combo is probably bone + runetracer + bible + holy water + vandalier + cross. You don't necessarily have to move straight or all that quickly, just enough to keep braziers spawning around you so you can pick the drops up.

Definitely get the mask as a 6th passive, it will easily get you more than the 125 gold it costs you to level it.

Shoot. Forgot about the Free Mask. Just had a 28 minute run and got 4 Evolutions but only 4.4k gold.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
getting to 30 minutes is going to be the single largest boost to gold earned because everything starts dropping red gems and you gain 20-30+ levels in the final minute which is a lot of bags since all your items are max level

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Shoot. Forgot about the Free Mask. Just had a 28 minute run and got 4 Evolutions but only 4.4k gold.

if you've only got 4 evos at 28 minutes you need to level up faster

get them gems

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What determines if you start getting bags of money/food on level up or not?

I thought it was level dependent only, but I just had a run where I went from getting normal levels, to just the bag/food, and then back to getting normal levels again after a chest pickup. I kept a weapon slot open until super super late since I was trying for vandalier, so maybe that had smth to do with it? Is it just that all your weapons are level 8 so it stops dropping? Or is it that all your stuff is max level (it feels like not this - it seems like I’ll still have not fully leveled add on power ups when the bag/food times hit)?

Still confused about how precisely this mechanic works and if there’s something I should be doing to better deal with it basically.

Hwurmp posted:

if you've only got 4 evos at 28 minutes you need to level up faster

get them gems

That’s an okay number I think if your other weapons are strong non evo weapons like runetracer or Santa water.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

tildes posted:

Literally just be out of things to level and slots to fill. You have to evolve weapons (including rainbow bird) from chests, so you can level up with both birds maxed and get money/health, get a chest that gives you rainbow bird, and then you won't get money/health on level up until you max out rainbow bird, fill the empty weapon slot, and max it out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

tildes posted:

I thought it was level dependent only, but I just had a run where I went from getting normal levels, to just the bag/food, and then back to getting normal levels again after a chest pickup. I kept a weapon slot open until super super late since I was trying for vandalier, so maybe that had smth to do with it? Is it just that all your weapons are level 8 so it stops dropping? Or is it that all your stuff is max level (it feels like not this - it seems like I’ll still have not fully leveled add on power ups when the bag/food times hit)?

Still confused about how precisely this mechanic works and if there’s something I should be doing to better deal with it basically.

That’s an okay number I think if your other weapons are strong non evo weapons like runetracer or Santa water.

You should only get food/gold when you’re out of slots and everything is upgraded fully. My guess is you were full upgraded, getting bags, and then you picked up the mask or book in the library and now you had something to upgrade so it went back to upgrades

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ah gotcha, thank you! That’s super simple.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

You should only get food/gold when you’re out of slots and everything is upgraded fully. My guess is you were full upgraded, getting bags, and then you picked up the mask or book in the library and now you had something to upgrade so it went back to upgrades

Yeah, it was either that or rainbow birb freeing up a weapon slot

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patch due on Saturday with a new character and a new evolution.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Rainbow bird and Unholy books are so powerful I have a hard time justifying other picks. It's just knockback into almost infinite damage.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
GODDAMN exploding witches!

Which permanent upgrades should I focus on first?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Kaddish posted:

+1 projectiles

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kaddish posted:

The duplicator is probably all-around the best, it's a solid boost to nearly every weapon. But also keep in mind that you can refund all those upgrades whenever for the full value, so you may as well invest into cheaper ones first and then switch over once you've accumulated enough gold. Generally, boosts to damage, cooldown, and area will give you the most bang for your buck.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kaddish posted:

You're going to want a bit of everything, but I would say lean into being a bit of a glass cannon at first. Duration, Damage, Size, Cooldown. This will get you immediate advantages for making weapons better even without picking upgrades during a run, so you can diversify the weapons you have while narrowly pushing one of them through its upgrades to evolve it and get huge advantages toward killing elites and nabbing chests, which will let you upgrade the rest of your weapons broadly and you can focus on your next evolved weapon.

Once you can consistently hit the post-25 minute mark and have more than one evolved weapon, Luck is very useful for getting additional options on level-ups to. Health, armor, movement speed, and the other defensive buffs do help out greatly, but they're more to patch over movement mistakes and make your runs consistent on success

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks friends!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

If you're just starting out in this game, make sure you unlock all the items first. You can see the requirements in the achievements screen that's accessed by the achievements button on the title screen. Certain cheevos unlock items while others unlock characters and maps. Quite a few items needed for evolutions have to be unlocked in this way, so do those first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Unlock the library as soon as you can, it's a lot easier and more profitable than the mad forest, especially on hyper mode.