Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

lament.cfg posted:

I’ve yet to not find what I want on Apple Music, and I listen to a lot of lovely 00s punk bands

There's a Type O Negative album I wanted and Apple Music doesn't have it. It's the only thing that isn't super indie that I've had to pirate music wise in the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've been using Apple Music for a couple years now and I like it. I don't really care about the social/sharing around playlists tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jabberlock posted:

all music i like is good. all music you like is bad

this isnt entirely true and honestly is missing the point.

While its true that some of the music i like is bad and some of the music you like is good, the reasons I have for liking bad music are good, while the reasons you have for liking good music are bad

context matters - try and remember that.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

nin did for industrial music what green day did for punk

Sounds like gatekeeping fo sho.

to my knowledge the nin man never set out to be an industrial band, and always referred to it as just a rock band. it's always had elements and influences associated with industrial. my take on the nin situation is a then young up and comer eclipsed an entire scene in terms of main stream success and there's lots of chapped asses over it to this day. I take no issue with anyone not liking an artist or whatever- but his talent and staying power is hard to argue against.

interested in any substantive view points. try hard and the above are certainly very personal outlooks.
Or not. I'm a fan of nin and I keep it hidden cause like other guy said most of their fans are really undesirable to engage with due to obsessive nature's. I don't get to talk about stuff I like often cause Im painfully self aware and don't want to be seen that way.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

obeyasia posted:

try hard and the above are certainly very personal outlooks.

this is fair, let me try to assemble some fact-based objective criticisms of Nine Inch Nails and I'll revert back with same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

obeyasia posted:

I'm a fan of nin and I keep it hidden cause like other guy said most of their fans are really undesirable to engage with due to obsessive nature's. I don't get to talk about stuff I like often cause Im painfully self aware and don't want to be seen that way.
I can respect and appreciate this

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cancelled Spotify because gently caress joe rogan, so whats the best alternative? I'm kinda torn between apple music and youtube music right now I'm leaning toward youtube because my understanding is it lets you play any video uploaded as music?

canceled years-old spotify family plan a few days ago

currently trying out tidal (free for a month, didnt ask for a cc or anything) and it seems to be functionally the same as spotify, with fewer missing songs. one neat thing i found is a menu where you can get a list of suggestions based on the current song, which feels like a big improvement over spotify where you gotta wait for next week's dustbin selection of things you still don't like

so tidal looks Fine so far but i figure i'll try apple music next if theres some catch with tidal that i haven't found yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you enjoying the high definition audio fidelity?

would you say it's an experience beyond x-fi?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
two-time academy award winner trent reznor

thong district
Jun 28, 2006
Selling dangerous liquids to idiots since April '06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBO_h0BpTl0

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_EEnm2ccM

fun podcast, fun episode. there's much worse poo poo to bag on NIN for though

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

obeyasia posted:

to my knowledge the nin man never set out to be an industrial band, and always referred to it as just a rock band
well i mean andrew eldritch keeps on insisting neither he nor the sisters of mercy as such are goth, so, well, you know

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I miss my old nin shirt but don’t feel like my identity suffers for lacking it.

quake soundtrack still slaps.

https://youtu.be/eeNrRHty-Lo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

obeyasia posted:

to my knowledge the nin man never set out to be an industrial band

trent was a coventry rat

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/657386328098340864/917771298405482517/NIN-intro08162013_Lowlands_Festival.mp4

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

pull the lever but jump in front of the trolley as it slows

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

haveblue posted:

Country Music Award winner too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ultrafilter posted:

Country Music Award winner too.
he will get a tony award in ten years when the nine inch nails jukebox musical makes its broadway debut

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Pink Floyd was the last good industrial band.

floyd just has so much great great music.

not all great but some just so great

and has inspired my tastes so much. shine on you crazy diamond is such an incredible piece of music and still sounds amazing. especially when you take lots of drugs 😋

my 12yo loves the walk and was listening to dark side the other day and tried to draw the prism cover but used a hourglass instead of prism (time) and had coins rather than sand (money) and thought that was pretty cool

castles made of sand just came on the radio. gently caress I love me some jimi hendrix. little wing is up there with top 3 songs of all time for real it’s just so beautiful and perfect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
general question : do people let things that aren’t music get in the way of them liking something ?

like maybe it’s too mainstream? or considered passé? it often seems like when people reject mainstream stuff it’s not because the music is bad. maybe they’re just utterly tired of the genre and I can accept that

but personally i’ll like something even if it’s mega mainstream and passé because maybe I like it. hosed up and true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s certain advantages to being a basic bitch most of the time

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

just listen to Godflesh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

happy year of the tiger everyone

https://i.imgur.com/mARD1F3.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Animal Friend posted:

just listen to Godflesh

idk what that is but maybe I will

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Sagebrush posted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dragula owns nobody can deny that
I can

rotor posted:

very little of the music i wanted to listen to was on spotify, its all wax cylinders

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Pink Floyd was the last good industrial band.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
truth hurts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

general question : do people let things that aren’t music get in the way of them liking something ?

absolutely

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

truth hurts
you might be missing a piece of the picture here echi

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i've maintained for years now that i'll switch to apple music as soon as they have a windows client that isn't a dumpster fire. apple. please

are you suggesting iTunes for windows isn’t amazing!?

I just made the switch and it’s pretty ghetto I need a tab open in my browser to stream music but here we are. there’s also no Xbox client yet :argh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i enjoy music

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

gently caress, that album came out in 2013? :corsair:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

you might be missing a piece of the picture here echi

story of my life friend

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

absolutely

easy by faith no more playing on the radio this second… one of top 5 songs ever for me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

canceled years-old spotify family plan a few days ago

currently trying out tidal (free for a month, didnt ask for a cc or anything) and it seems to be functionally the same as spotify, with fewer missing songs. one neat thing i found is a menu where you can get a list of suggestions based on the current song, which feels like a big improvement over spotify where you gotta wait for next week's dustbin selection of things you still don't like

so tidal looks Fine so far but i figure i'll try apple music next if theres some catch with tidal that i haven't found yet
yeah i've had tidal for almost a year, and it's p. deece. only used the playlist thing a few times, but it's got me down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

rotor posted:

this isnt entirely true and honestly is missing the point.

While its true that some of the music i like is bad and some of the music you like is good, the reasons I have for liking bad music are good, while the reasons you have for liking good music are bad

context matters - try and remember that.

specifically music rotor likes is bad