Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

That sorted itself out!
Down to gold now after a few reality checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Astroid posted:

That sorted itself out!
Down to gold now after a few reality checks.

You go through some wild swings when you first get your rank. The MMR values for wins and losses are inflated, and if you solo queue and end up with good teammates your ranking could end up pretty high.

This effect wears off gradually as you play, by the time you get to 25 matches everything normals out game to game.

If you're brand new to the game and staying in gold you're doing pretty well. Join the discord and ask for some pointers and you can get plat or diamond fairly quickly.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Why do they need a 2.3 gig update to add a few Grimes themed cosmetics to the game? Is there more that I'm missing??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Inflation's affecting everything these days.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I believe the middle of the bell curve in terms of ranks is generally around Gold III/Plat I. (Maybe it's more like Plat II now.) If you just started and placed into Plat and are playing in Gold now, I would probably classify you as "pretty okay" but remember that for the most part, you're still "trash" from Bronze all the way to maybe like Champ 2. (Saying this a Plat II with aspirations for maaaaaybe diamond.)

Also, bad rocket league players are all bad in different ways, and some are still fine. If your fine car control is terribad, but you can hit the ball and you know enough not to stack up on top of your teammates, you can still probably get through Plat. If you're like a freeplay SSL doing ceiling shots and stuff, but like at the wrong goal... you'll probably still be Plat, and somehow also salty that your teammates are so much "worse" than you.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
when I saw a notice last week for this neon update I was interested but I didn't look that close. I guess it's a Grimes promotion haha good god all the music brutal.

The least they coulda done is released a new car for the event called the X Æ A-12

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

:shrug:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Grimes has some OK songs, but yea I listen to my own music* when I play instead of the jukebox

*sometimes that music is the sound of a work meeting droning on in another window

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

same since 2015

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
The personalized goal music can be fun. It's kind of funny to hear smashmouth or whatever when someone scores a goal. A lot of the songs are absolutely brutal and I've also considered turning it all off

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Anyone who uses that Japanese song is an rear end in a top hat. 90% of them will spam sarcastic "what a save" quick chats on literally every goal, spend the entire game ball chasing, and then complain about their team mates when they lose.

Speaking of which.. setting chat to quick chats only has improved my experience greatly.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Math You posted:

Speaking of which.. setting chat to quick chats only has improved my experience greatly.

I get a lot of satisfaction when I get that "DUE TO YOUR REPORT WE BANNED SOMEBODY" popup when you boot up the game, I will never give up that crack.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Math You posted:

Anyone who uses that Japanese song is an rear end in a top hat. 90% of them will spam sarcastic "what a save" quick chats on literally every goal, spend the entire game ball chasing, and then complain about their team mates when they lose.

I go one further and just have it set to team quick chat only. Cuts out 90% of the toxicity while still be able to communicate for kickoffs and the like.

The only thing I wish was it would let the end game chats like GG and Well Played pass through to/from the other team.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Heatseeker Ricochet is a tremendously stupid game mode

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yes it is.

It's still better than straight up heatseeker on a normal map though.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not interested enough in grimes' incredibly boring music to play that game mode

Does anyone reading this thread use the F1 car? I don't think I've ever seen another person driving it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I see a few F1 cars sometimes but not very often at all. There are a ton of different cars in the game but the "car meta" of Rocket League is kinda sad to be entirely honest. The playerbase has largely settled on what is cool and good and it turns out personal taste is heavily frowned upon, and the more you play and the more seriously players take the game, the more you see the exact same three cars.

If you like the F1 car and it feels good to you, keep using it, I just couldn't convince myself to throw that much money into the game for one car. I forget what its hitbox is but as long as you're hitting the ball when it feels like you're hitting the ball you should be fine.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I use the F1 car as my secondary, Takumi main. The F1 set is the only cosmetic I've bought since 2015 and I love it. F1 is so delightfully absurd

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

TheDarkFlame posted:

I see a few F1 cars sometimes but not very often at all. There are a ton of different cars in the game but the "car meta" of Rocket League is kinda sad to be entirely honest. The playerbase has largely settled on what is cool and good and it turns out personal taste is heavily frowned upon, and the more you play and the more seriously players take the game, the more you see the exact same three cars.

If you like the F1 car and it feels good to you, keep using it, I just couldn't convince myself to throw that much money into the game for one car. I forget what its hitbox is but as long as you're hitting the ball when it feels like you're hitting the ball you should be fine.

I think the car meta being so narrow makes sense because of the hitboxes, and how the car models match up with them. The Octane hitbox is what people find most comfortable, so they end up just using the Octane, or the Fennec which also has the octane hitbox and matches it well. There are loads of cars now that have the hitbox and it's also close enough to the models, but they don't look as good as the main two.

I think every car should have had it's own hitbox that matches the model, but can see why as a competitive game they've just stuck to 6 hitboxes.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I didn't realize the cars had different hitboxes! Is there a list somewhere?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

camoseven posted:

I didn't realize the cars had different hitboxes! Is there a list somewhere?

There's this list

https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029832054-Rocket-League-Car-Hitboxes

I was looking for a graphical representation of them but I can't find a properly updated one that has all the cars that are in the game now.

edit: found a reddit thread that has them, and a bunch of very detailed info on the hitboxes

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/bklp2t/car_specifications_and_hitbox_visualizations_v162/

There's a couple of albums at the start of that post with a pic of every car and how it's hitbox lines up

https://imgur.com/a/eGffdhZ
https://imgur.com/a/LhOsm67

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 2, 2022

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

I just couldn't convince myself to throw that much money into the game for one car.

I was having a fun time playing drunk with a buddy so I bought it haha I've literally never watched an F1 event in my life. It's pretty neat I regret nothing

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I don't know how anyone gets out of the lower ranks without having the skills of someone several ranks higher and being able to just completely take over games. I am better than silver, but holy poo poo I am surrounded by morons. I win more when they rage quit than when they stay in cause then they aren't driving around hitting the ball towards our own goal just to hit it, or knocking me out off my line when I'm about to shoot, or just veering off the ball at kickoffs for no reason. What a loving nightmare.

I know the answer is "get better" and holy poo poo I am trying but these loving people, man...

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
It’s a boring way to play but if you’re able to reliably stop any attacks on your goal just sit back and defend and hope your teammate(s) can get lucky and out score the other team. Or wait for the other team to push too far and counterattack on an open net.

Playing with someone you can communicate with goes a long way. I used rumble as my gently caress-around playlist with a lower ranked friend. He was maybe platinum but we did ok in champ games since I had a pretty good idea of where he would be most of the time.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

camoseven posted:

I don't know how anyone gets out of the lower ranks without having the skills of someone several ranks higher and being able to just completely take over games. I am better than silver, but holy poo poo I am surrounded by morons. I win more when they rage quit than when they stay in cause then they aren't driving around hitting the ball towards our own goal just to hit it, or knocking me out off my line when I'm about to shoot, or just veering off the ball at kickoffs for no reason. What a loving nightmare.

I know the answer is "get better" and holy poo poo I am trying but these loving people, man...

It's not just your team that is morons hth

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Auxiliary Treats posted:

It’s a boring way to play but if you’re able to reliably stop any attacks on your goal just sit back and defend and hope your teammate(s) can get lucky and out score the other team. Or wait for the other team to push too far and counterattack on an open net.

I remember way back this was how I did it. Counted for gold and plat as well. Hell half the time you can make a good save that you can long bomb into the opponents net. Like you say, people always play too aggressive in those ranks and no one stays back.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

camoseven posted:

To win in silver you basically don't have to do anything at all except walk the ball into the other net when everyone misses. It will happen many, many times in silver. Triple commits are the way at that rank. So basically, stop trying so hard, play safe and defensive, and EXPECT your teammates to do stupid poo poo. Then you can get to higher ranks where people are only a little bit less terrible!

Watch Flakes or Lethamyr's Road to SSL series on YouTube and you'll see how little you actually have to do to win at those ranks.

I'm champ 2 and I'm pretty certain I could 1v3 silvers, possibly even without using boost, that's how much positioning and decision making matters

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I feel like playing with randoms is a slightly different skillset than playing with a teammate on discord.
Seems like randoms ignore positioning and chase a lot more, and get a lot more aggressive. They're doing all that without communicating so you end up uselessly hanging back because it would be dumb to have two people chasing the ball. The problem is, they suck rear end. So you alter your gamestyle where you're not worrying as much about rotations and have more of a "I'll loving do it myself" mentality. And it kind of works, you do end up doing better!

Then a few games in you realize you just became the annoying random who doesn't follow positioning or rotation.
haha then you play a game with your usual teammate and right away he's like "you were playing with randos again weren't you"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Thanks y'all. Sitting back has helped me win more, though it's kinda boring and super frustrating to sit there and watch 5 people miss the ball over and over and over and over

e: it also leads to much lower scores, which makes me feel bad. But it will all be worth it when I'm up in gold getting my rear end kicked by good players instead of losing to bad teammates

e2: servers seem completely hosed right now though

camoseven fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

But it will all be worth it when I'm up in gold getting my rear end kicked by good players instead of losing to bad teammates

I think you are highly overestimating the skill level of most players. I'm Diamond 3 and I still have to adjust to teammates who seem hell bent on being near the ball at all times or on trying the new mechanic they just spent 40 hours on in free play no matter the situation a majority of my games.

There is a rank at which you need both good mechanics _and_ game sense to be in. I certainly have never seen it (and this is because of me, not my teammates.)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lumpy posted:

I think you are highly overestimating the skill level of most players. I'm Diamond 3 and I still have to adjust to teammates who seem hell bent on being near the ball at all times or on trying the new mechanic they just spent 40 hours on in free play no matter the situation a majority of my games.

There is a rank at which you need both good mechanics _and_ game sense to be in. I certainly have never seen it (and this is because of me, not my teammates.)

How distressing. I guess I'll just keep playing and getting better until I either find that mythical rank or am driven completely insane with rage

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

How distressing. I guess I'll just keep playing and getting better until I either find that mythical rank or am driven completely insane with rage

Or learn that it's just a video game of rocket car soccer and therefore should not be taken too seriously.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lumpy posted:

Or learn that it's just a video game of rocket car soccer and therefore should not be taken too seriously.

Hmmm no can do, but happy for those who can

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Lumpy posted:

I am currently at Champ 3 and can report that it's still not the case there. I have the game sense and not the mechanics but most people have the mechanics and not the game sense.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Funky Worm anthem rules.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Woodchip posted:

Funky Worm anthem rules.

Hell yeah it's nice to see some good jams rather than Generic Electronic Pop Song My Cousin Made# 1312

camoseven posted:

Thanks y'all. Sitting back has helped me win more, though it's kinda boring and super frustrating to sit there and watch 5 people miss the ball over and over and over and over

e: it also leads to much lower scores, which makes me feel bad. But it will all be worth it when I'm up in gold getting my rear end kicked by good players instead of losing to bad teammates

e2: servers seem completely hosed right now though

I can't stress how much more fun this game is if you play with people you know.
I'm not sure if you're on the goon rocket league discord, but its a good place to find friendly folk to play with. I'm terrible and have only played a handful of games with people off there but even though they were practically strangers it was still 1000x more fun than playing with complete pubbies.

Setting up a sick rear end pass out front of the net with pubbies kinda makes you feel good, especially if they actually are in position and don't miss.
You do that with a bud on discord and they know better to be there, and they hear your excitement, and you hear theirs as they somehow reach and make the shot and then you both are like HOLY FUCKIN poo poo THAT WAS AWESOME

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Sorry opponents, you’re listening to this funky beat every score. No cancelling!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have game sounds 100% to hear demos, but it doesn't work often because I like to vibe to loud synthwave.

I have goal music off as well so, yes, I can avoid it.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Woodchip posted:

Sorry opponents, you’re listening to this funky beat every score. No cancelling!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

End Game is my favourite anthem because it has a big early 2000s professional wrestling energy.