Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Going to be hilarious when people balk at paying money for this poo poo, and the trend either dies overnight or just transfers over to a free clone site.

Reminds me when CBS bought John Krasinki's web series "Some Good News" and then there was a ton of backlash that just killed the concept dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is The Gilded Age any good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s only been one episode so far, so I dunno yet.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

XboxPants posted:

This is absolutely already happening.

Maybe this doesn't count because they're only taking advantage of the elderly and extremely ill (and I dunno maybe they give free tank refills) but still, I always found that sign really darkly funny. "Come on down, we got the GOOD air"

There's a thing called Boost Oxygen that is closer in spirit. Saw them on Shark Tank a while ago. Their thing was providing small cans of oxygen to give people a "boost" during marathons or other hard activities, and seeing oxygen bottles move along into regular sale spaces felt really weird.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Highwater mark of civilization imo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

XboxPants posted:

This is absolutely already happening.

Maybe this doesn't count because they're only taking advantage of the elderly and extremely ill (and I dunno maybe they give free tank refills) but still, I always found that sign really darkly funny. "Come on down, we got the GOOD air"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Some people might think you are kidding but I guarantee that somewhere in America there are indeed some Republican businessmen discussing how they can charge for air and sunlight in the future for potential growth areas.

Oh my dude, I am not even slightly kidding. There are many right wing nut jobs I positions of power who think food, air and water are not human rights.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Anyone else having issues logging into HBO max lately?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone else having issues... HBO max?

Always

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Well that's just a big waste of money on Sony's part.

Destiny makes an insane amount of money. Sony knows what it's doing in general.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone else having issues logging into HBO max lately?

I didn't have any issues logging in but it was a little wonky tonight as it skipped the profile selection page.

Also I watched the first episode of Pennyworth and the scene with Alfred's parents kicking the poo poo out of that guy had very strong Gotham energy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

LionArcher posted:

Destiny makes an insane amount of money. Sony knows what it's doing in general.
Bungie is also a massive studio (over 500 employees,) developing at least two other titles outside of Destiny 2, that needed the help of two (maybe more) Activision/Blizzard subsidiary studios in order to port the game to PC and develop further expansions. That "insane" amount of money (citation needed) is diluted pretty well and the company was very happy to gain its independence when it left Acti/Blizz. There's some devilish details in this purchase and I believe one of them is that Bungie really needed money, leading me to further believe that Sony's acquisition is a long term personnel/talent investment, not a short money-making one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Josh Lyman posted:

The first episode was good, but it is going to take a little while to see if it can compare to Downton Abbey.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s a wait and see cause the only episode so far is all set up, but the hats are suitably ridiculous.

loving insane hats. Like Dr Seuss poo poo covered in feathers and half a badger.

So on that axis of costume-drama rankings it’s doing great. We’ll see where the plot and characters go.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Going to be hilarious when people balk at paying money for this poo poo, and the trend either dies overnight or just transfers over to a free clone site.

The whole thing runs client-side, so you can just save the web-page and have your own wordle.

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1488275144069898240

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gilded Age episode 2: basically if you’re gonna like this show you have to really like the idea of Carrie Coon as a stupidly rich rear end in a top hat who’s pissed off that the other stupidly rich assholes don’t accept her. I love me some Carrie Coon so her having the meatiest role in the thing means I’ll probably keep watching, but if you don’t feel the same way you would probably be watching for the costumes (which rule) or Fellowes’ gross Tory obsession with the good old days (which doesn’t).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The Wire

cant cook creole bream posted:

I watched none of those, so he's insignificant to me.

This is a you problem. One you need to fix.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window:

The whole show is funny but there are two parts in particular so far that have actually made me pause the show so I didn't miss anything because I was laughing so hard. The first was when it's finally revealed how Kristen Bell's daughter died: her father is an FBI profiler, and during a Take Your Daughter to Work Day she was accidentally eaten by a cannibal serial killer The other is the scene with the text messages about bread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also loved that her ex husband knew the repairman he hired was a distrubed escapee or whatever and didn't want to tell her because he knew she'd say no, and he was like "but we had to fix the mailbox!"

I finished Archive 81, really good adaptation, still hoping season 2 can keep up with the podcast but even if not, curious to see where they take their version. But really if there's nobody merged with technology come season 2 I'll be a little disappointed. My buddy recommended Archive 81 to me yesterday and I found in our discord when I had recommended himn the podcast in 2017 lol.Nice we finally made it around.

Also watched some Netflix joint called The Chosen or something after, not as good and the main character kept driving me nuts, I get they're a 17 year old dumdum but geez the number of times kids in this show leave themselves open to being kidnapped or worse is staggering.

Also started Evil last night and like it so far, except what's up with TV therapists and keeping notes/records? Granted I've never been to a proper real therapist but do they really tak detailed session notes and recordings? They really going over old tapes at some point to... idk study for your next session? Just a few shows recently where major plot points hinge on getting unethical access to recordings of therapy sessions. I get it as a plot device, but I hope it's just a fiction invented for media.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've already switched to Dordle. More fun anyway.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 1, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can literally download the whole wordle game if you like, with its current word bank it will work through 2026.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The guy playing Leland in Evil is good at being a gleefully evil rear end in a top hat but I also can't help but see Andy Daly in the role. He'd probably be too charismatic for it to be scary but I can see him delivering the same evil lines with Review host aplomb.

Show fun so far but sometimes the forensic investigation part is like "I checked the pixels" which feels a bit NCIS to me, though nowhere near that bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saw that there's an American McGee's Alice TV adaptation in development, and it just feels like... at least 15 years too late. Especially since the Tim Burton movie clearly took from the game.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fifteen? Try twenty-two.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is hot topic publishing games now or what

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I completely forgot there was an American McGee's Alice 2. Or that he's trying to make a third game... via Patreon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have a new show in the works for Paramount Plus. "Guru Nation" is set to be a mockumentary where Bob and David play leaders of competing cults.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khanstant posted:

but do they really tak detailed session notes and recordings? They really going over old tapes at some point to... idk study for your next session?

Yes. That is one of the things the sessions notes are used for.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Khanstant posted:

I also loved that her ex husband knew the repairman he hired was a distrubed escapee or whatever and didn't want to tell her because he knew she'd say no, and he was like "but we had to fix the mailbox!"
I don't know if it's really a reveal but I loved that the handyman isn't working for the HOA or whatever, he works full time for them on only their house. Everything to do with the therapist after that 'reveal' was also hilarious

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also love how the mailbox was being fixed for like days and days on end and the husband was aghast that it STILL wasn't fixed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bull3964 posted:

I also love how the mailbox was being fixed for like days and days on end and the husband was aghast that it STILL wasn't fixed.

There was a dumb little gag a couple episodes in when she looks through his tools and *just so happens* to find a loving lockpicking set. At the time, it was just a fun joke along with everything else just magically happening to her because she's the main character, but looking back, it occurred that it made total sense for him to have that. I love how much attention they paid to really stupid poo poo like this.

Buell was just great btw. Also, so was Emma, and Massacre Mike, and the husband, and that bitch Carol, and Sexy Rexy, and the lighthouse keeper, and the "I dunno" kid, I just loved the cast all around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was happy to see Marc Evan Jackson show up as the lighthouse keeper and wish we saw more of him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just started season three of Search Party and I can’t help but feel bad for Portia.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still watching Evil and at first I was worried that the husband still hadn't showed up, but then it went so long without him I was anxious that he would and know he has. Plus her frickin mom is bangin her demon nemesis in her office where he can gently caress with her and get her poo poo. Bad mom!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I saw the trailer for the Pam and Tommy show that is dropping on Hulu sometime within the next week and while my feelings on that are mixed (Pam has been incredibly consistent in her refusal to give anyone involved the time of day, meaning that the press tour has been a whole lot of trying to praise her and talk about how resilient she is while still having made a show that exploits the worst thing that ever happened to her without her input at all), it did remind me of the terrible terrible shows that she started in, many of which I watched at least an episode of.

I distinctly remember watching the premiere of Stripperella, which is notable for simultaneously being one of the worst animated shows of all time and also being the best part of SpikeTV’s adult animation block because it’s competition was a show where Kelsey Grammar voices a lawyer that turns into a rat-man (get it? because all lawyers are rats?) and the absolutely dire Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Show that basically ruined those characters and whatever was left of John K’s reputation (since apparently dating a teenager didn’t). I think that might be the single worst television block of all time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I started The Leftovers and I have questions but don't want answers? Think they hooked me I'm like happy for a dude to go on a rude dog murder spree with a previously menacing weirdo. First, think I heard a gently caress Buttons song at some point never thought I'd hear that in a show. Second, only 2%? Feels like a weird milk lowball for a not-rapture. Suspiciously low.

Other than that think it's just the wtf questions you're supposed to have. Why these goobers doing smoking cult gangstalking and occasional weak protests. People really that freaked out by 2% of people poofing, it's not like anyone asked them to wear a mask, what's the big deal? Also real tough message "you're wasting your time" says escaped chainsmoking members of polyphonic spree.

The gun freaks I feel like explain themselves, just conservative things, given any or no excuse. What I don't get is did something in this universe change about the cops? Felt like there were a shitload of "cops started blasting" moments that just weren't. Cop even let's someone beat his rear end and just left. He's definitely got a gun! Can't tell if fantasy police reform or if there's some mystery there too. Reduction in police statery after a crisis that apparently broke some people into phillip morris cults, others in gun cults hmmm

Not sure why Mark's boss is here but it's going to be hard to not smile every time he gives some cryptic or evil dialogues. For that matter why is Liv Tyler here, is this allowed?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah! Please keep us updated with your thoughts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A few episodes into season 2 of Succession and Lord help me I'm somehow feeling sorry for Kendall Roy? I mean.... really? They're a gigantic piece of poo poo, as are the rest of their family, but loving hell watching him zombie-walk through a pathetic empty shell of a life as nothing but a tool for his father's use is rough stuff.

I'm sure I'll feel like an even bigger idiot when he inevitably fucks over somebody else or manages to do something even worse than at the end of season 1, but good goddamn.

On the flip side, the hastily rewritten eulogy that Connor read out for "Mo" was loving amazing :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I started The Leftovers The gun freaks I feel like explain themselves, just conservative things, given any or no excuse. What I don't get is did something in this universe change about the cops? Felt like there were a shitload of "cops started blasting" moments that just weren't. Cop even let's someone beat his rear end and just left. He's definitely got a gun! Can't tell if fantasy police reform or if there's some mystery there too. Reduction in police statery after a crisis that apparently broke some people into phillip morris cults, others in gun cults hmmm

No answers given, but this is an interesting angle I hadn't considered.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

A few episodes into season 2 of Succession and Lord help me I'm somehow feeling sorry for Kendall Roy? I mean.... really? They're a gigantic piece of poo poo, as are the rest of their family, but loving hell watching him zombie-walk through a pathetic empty shell of a life as nothing but a tool for his father's use is rough stuff.

I'm sure I'll feel like an even bigger idiot when he inevitably fucks over somebody else or manages to do something even worse than at the end of season 1, but good goddamn.

On the flip side, the hastily rewritten eulogy that Connor read out for "Mo" was loving amazing :allears:

My response to all of that is basically a big :hmmyes:

e: do you people have cameras in my house and deliberately post every time I’m about to reply to the post above without quoting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Book of Boba should have been total poo poo this week but was actually kind of excellent because Filoni is ridiculously good at this poo poo