Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yinlock posted:

I don't think Kakuseijin was that bad though.

The V2 barely moves in most of its attacks. Hell, its melee attack is just "have the static sprite lean over gently while the claws spin". It's jarring just how clunky and cheap it looks compared to, say, any Gundam unit. Cataphract is similar, in that the main sprite barely moves, and various attack-related sprites just kind of appear and do their thing while the main body stands there impassively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

V2 could be more animated since it has the dragon head but I don't recall the kakuseijin being very, uh, dynamic in the series.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the problem with ggg vs betterman is that i can't imagine ever caring about betterman at all. it was a bad show with dumb ideas and boring characters.

I've honestly wondered for years why GaoGaiGar got permanently chained to that junk for anything resembling a continuation. I remember trying to watch that TV edit of GGG FINAL (something I already don't think highly of in the first place) and the mind numbing random Betterman interludes were possibly worse than the completely destroyed pacing

Hell, I'd have taken GGG vs Brigadoon instead in a heartbeat. They actually had a meaningful link!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Seemlar posted:

I've honestly wondered for years why GaoGaiGar got permanently chained to that junk for anything resembling a continuation. I remember trying to watch that TV edit of GGG FINAL (something I already don't think highly of in the first place) and the mind numbing random Betterman interludes were possibly worse than the completely destroyed pacing

Hell, I'd have taken GGG vs Brigadoon instead in a heartbeat. They actually had a meaningful link!

I mean the people who made them designed them linked in pretty obvious if not really *important* ways.

Bear in mind I agree on both counts that they don't fit well and that Brigadoon would be better.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Betterman is cool the way something with a bunch of proper nouns and fake science is cool to a teenager and the combined Betterman unit was a consistent part of my squad because it was really strong and I liked it’s theme. It deserved to have multiple spirit lists the same way Final GGG did.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Seemlar posted:

I imagine that didn't happen for the simple reason that Brigadoon takes place in the 1960's which would probably complicate a crossover(or using it in SRW for that matter), not an insurmountable thing to deal with but still worth noting

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Tired: SRWs that step around crossover difficulties with alternate dimensions
Wired: SRWs that step around crossover difficulties with time travel

Seriously we're due for another SRW R style story.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I think Banpresto didn't really feel like actually doing Getter Robo Armageddon over again so instead they decided to just sort of explore how Ryoma got on without his usual buddies, and tossed in Go being cryptic and stuff so he could play off the Bettermen. That said, yeah, I think the problem is that GaoGaiGar vs. Betterman, like Gridman, doesn't work very well as a crossover. In the case of GGG vs. Betterman, the problem is that it's meant to be as much a horror story as an action story, similar to the original Betterman, and that doesn't work when the good guys have so many allies and Triple Zero is relegated to such a small portion of the plot. The only two Conqueror Kings we get to see are the least upsetting/impactful ones (in terms of, like, being taken aback by a beloved character's dark personality change). If I were to fix up that part of the plot, I would A. make sure the player has to deal with the likes of Conqueror King Mic Sounders and Conqueror King Volfogg, and B. have some other series' characters end up infected with Triple Zero temporarily (I'm thinking Tetsuya, Lelouch, the Rabbits team aside from Izuru, Fuu, Amuro, Musashi*, and Shadow-maru).

*Seeing as they decided to just have him be inexplicably alive in 30, this would be a new take on killing him off, if it were set up so he can't be saved.

This would have been pretty cool, and I agree with the thesis of "if you can't do it right, don't do it." They could have even used TZ as an extension of the OG plot since it's kinda vaguely shaped like the bullshit Orchidacea pulls.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The trouble there is without that, outside of the DLC the game doesn't really have a big "WOW!" entry, like Yamato in V. Closest would be Gridman, and with how many people expected him sooner or later it at least didn't seem like he got the same reaction as say, Might Gaine or Yamato in V where he was breaking new ground.

Having said that I still really wish Tenryujin had been playable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GGG Vs Betterman is one people thought they'd never do, since it's never gotten even a manga adaptation and feels almost unofficial in some ways, but it's kinda underutilized.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a manga, but i think it is still ongoing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Huh, gently caress me then. There being one makes it feel way less unlikely, but if it started in late 2018 it's hard to tell if it got one and then it got put in 30 to promote the manga or if it got approved to get in in 30 and then it got a manga to capitalize on the tie-in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm curious as to why FINAL is even in the series list, I know the series' lists are decided first so maybe corporate expected some big epic GGG thing, oof if so.

Justin_Brett posted:

The trouble there is without that, outside of the DLC the game doesn't really have a big "WOW!" entry, like Yamato in V. Closest would be Gridman, and with how many people expected him sooner or later it at least didn't seem like he got the same reaction as say, Might Gaine or Yamato in V where he was breaking new ground.

Having said that I still really wish Tenryujin had been playable.

Vs might count if they didn't halfass it, Sakura Wars also would've been it by miles if they didn't relegate it to DLC.

Oops! All Wasted Potential

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yinlock posted:

I'm curious as to why FINAL is even in the series list, I know the series' lists are decided first so maybe corporate expected some big epic GGG thing, oof if so.

GaoFighGar and all the music except for the GaoGaiGo and Betterman themes are listed as being from FINAL.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ethiser posted:

GaoFighGar and all the music except for the GaoGaiGo and Betterman themes are listed as being from FINAL.

I understand J not having J-Phoenix since Renais being aboard his ship means she wouldn't be in FGGG, but I'm sad that FINAL is in and yet they didn't find a way to bring back the Goldion Crusher. :(

Way I see it, Finger has a better build-up, but the payoff isn't as satisfying as a giant moon-sized hammer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

I understand J not having J-Phoenix since Renais being aboard his ship means she wouldn't be in FGGG, but I'm sad that FINAL is in and yet they didn't find a way to bring back the Goldion Crusher. :(

Way I see it, Finger has a better build-up, but the payoff isn't as satisfying as a giant moon-sized hammer.

No no.

What they need to do is grab the Goldion Crusher WITH the Goldion Finger.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I want a Switch exclusive SRW so we have the chance of Star Fox or Kirby Robobot in it

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No no.

What they need to do is grab the Goldion Crusher WITH the Goldion Finger.
The fact that nobody thought of this idea until your post pains me to no end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Silverion Crusher is in GGG vs Betterman and it's absolute bullshit that it's enemy-only. Let me use it too. Give it a proper animation.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Silverion Crusher is in GGG vs Betterman and it's absolute bullshit that it's enemy-only. Let me use it too. Give it a proper animation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

GaoFighGar appears in VsB too though, hell it even has more weapons there(Gai first uses the double hammer with it)

Brunom1 posted:

Yeah Finger is neat but it's not as cool as seeing the giant fuckin hammer rise like a sun and crush half the map while Hiyama annihilates his own throat

e:

Blaze Dragon posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Went ahead and picked the game up on sale after watching a friend play on the max difficulty dlc (which still seems p easy but whatever) :toot:

Going to sideline the non-Gundam pilots asap, especially whatever the Fail Five are supposed to be, but other than that anything to keep in mind? I know there are a lot of secret missions, are there any indication of them or should I just ignore them and if it happens, neat

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Went ahead and picked the game up on sale after watching a friend play on the max difficulty dlc (which still seems p easy but whatever) :toot:

Going to sideline the non-Gundam pilots asap, especially whatever the Fail Five are supposed to be, but other than that anything to keep in mind? I know there are a lot of secret missions, are there any indication of them or should I just ignore them and if it happens, neat

There's a section of the mission menu that lists a lot of bonuses/secrets you can get, but a few are hidden. Mainly they involve having people from the same series fight/shoot each other down whenever possible. (Uso vs Katejina, Gridman vs Anti)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hunter Noventa posted:

There's a section of the mission menu that lists a lot of bonuses/secrets you can get, but a few are hidden. Mainly they involve having people from the same series fight/shoot each other down whenever possible. (Uso vs Katejina, Gridman vs Anti)

Cool thanks, not going to go insane trying to get them all or anything but seeing a few would be fun

e: Is there a way to mark enemy attack areas like in Fire Emblem or do I just eyeball it and hope for the best? S-Expert was a fun way to start lol. First mission was a fun challenge but I got it in one once I stopped accidentally auto-advancing. Lol at the 9% hit rates I had to bumble through at the end though. I'm considering just dumping everything into the battleship and facetanking lmao. Poor V-Dash ate a ton of poo poo

It could stand to use a ton of QOL stuff and better controls too

I named the oc Eddge Trihardd

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool thanks, not going to go insane trying to get them all or anything but seeing a few would be fun

e: Is there a way to mark enemy attack areas like in Fire Emblem or do I just eyeball it and hope for the best? S-Expert was a fun way to start lol. First mission was a fun challenge but I got it in one once I stopped accidentally auto-advancing. Lol at the 9% hit rates I had to bumble through at the end though. I'm considering just dumping everything into the battleship and facetanking lmao. Poor V-Dash ate a ton of poo poo

Sadly there's no Fire Emblem style "reach radius" display.

Putting resources into your battleship is never a bad move in 30, to be honest. Or any of the PS4-era games onward.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hokuto posted:

Sadly there's no Fire Emblem style "reach radius" display.

Putting resources into your battleship is never a bad move in 30, to be honest. Or any of the PS4-era games onward.

Mitsuba and Bright also have really good ace bonuses

RBA Starblade posted:

The start can be pretty rough on the higher difficulties, don't be afraid to pop back into the battleship to recharge and make sure to upgrade everyone's Sight a bit ASAP; it's dirt-cheap and actually reliably hitting things makes a big difference.

The robots will prove their worth as they get some levels and upgrades, and then will become invincible super-gods.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 3, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool does Recovery actually heal units? I thought it was just a rescue/move command

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool does Recovery actually heal units? I thought it was just a rescue/move command

When units are in the battleship, they'll recover a percentage of their HP/EN each turn. They'll lose a bit of morale, but morale is so plentiful in this game that it hardly matters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

To add to this, here are the pros and cons of the battleships in 30:

Dreisstrager: As the main focus of the game, Mitsuba should not be neglected. You will always have the Dreisstrager deployed so keeping its captain up to speed is vital. Mitsuba is unique in that she benefits from both pilot upgrades and AOS upgrades. She also gets Resolve (a spirit command that grants +5 ExC to the caster), meaning she can fire off Ex Orders a lot more frequently compared to her peers. The AOS upgrades it receives range from mundane stat boosts to extremely useful (all weapons gaining the Barrier Buster trait, for instance). The one downside for Mitsuba is that she gets the helpful spirit commands that would be better shuffled off onto Reynold or Lian's spirit lists (like Accel and Wall) in addition to Valor and the aforementioned Resolve, meaning you'll have moments where you have to juggle what you spend her SP on in battle. The major downside of the Dreisstrager itself is that it is slow as gently caress, with a base movement of 4. You will be investing in the extra movement parts for the ship as well as the AOS upgrades that further boost the movement of the ship, so keep that in mind.

Ra Cailum: Bright is one of the franchise's mainstay captains, to the point that in many of the older games, he is the one in charge of the heroes as the commander-in-chief. Starting with V, Bright has slowly begun to step away from that job and in 30, he outright tells Mitsuba that she's better off in charge. The Ra Cailum itself is tanky, but lacks a lot of the flashy stuff other ships have, so it's easy to push it aside. And yet, among 30's battleships, it is the second best one to field simply due to Bright himself. His Ace bonus grants extra morale to any units inside his command aura (the yellow field surrounding a battleship) and at a high enough level, he unlocks his mystery ??? skill, Captain's Order. This skill makes it so you receive the full bonuses of the Command skill at any range (normally, it decreases the further away you are from a unit with the Command skill). Mitsuba also can get this, but that requires going through an entire upgrade tree in the AOS, which will take some time compared to simply leveling up a unit as in Bright's case. Definitely worth investing into in the long run.

Reinforce Jr.: This ship is interesting. It has a full 5 man crew, but it does come with more downsides compared to the Dreisstrager and Ra Cailum. For one thing, its only defensive spirits are Persist and Foresee, whereas Mitsuba and Bright both have access to Wall for longer tanking sessions. The other downside is that Gomez does not learn Command, putting him well behind the curve compared to the other captains. But, the Reinforce Jr. makes up for its shortcomings with other features. Gomez does come with Supply Parts, meaning you can equip restore items like Repair Kits and Propellant Tanks and use them on adjacent allies. Another point in the ship's favor is that it is one of the few sources of Daunt at a cheap price (sub pilot Jinn Geneham has it for 30 SP, when it usually costs 50 SP). If you have to pick a third option for a battleship, go with the Reinforce Jr. because it will contribute more often than you'd think.

Godinion: This ship looks like it should be on par with other ships due to its initial appearance. Three pilots with a full 6 spirit command list sounds very enticing, and is the main ship associated with a major plot series (Majestic Prince). But then you look under the hood. The ship has zero Move and Fire attacks, and to make a bad situation worse, none of the three pilots learn the Charge spirit command, the one thing that would alleviate this issue. So what you're left with is a ship that has to get into position to do any heavy lifting when you could be attacking and getting things done quicker. It will be forced for Majestic Prince stages and can help out as Seigfried and Guiliano have some support spirit commands, but ultimately, let Suzukaze sit things out. At the very least, when you do get the ship, you also get Reika, whose passive Supporter ability heals units that either dock or get retrieved by a battleship (25% HP and EN recovered, mind you). That said, Mitsuba will gain access to a similar ability rendering Reika's passive moot, but that's behind another upgrade tree of the AOS (albeit much easier to get to compared to her version of Captain's Order due to being earlier in that upgrade tree).

NSX: Well, someone had to be the runt of the litter, and it is Eagle Vision and Geo Metro. This ship comes in late, meaning you've probably invested in Mitsuba and at least one or two other captains by the time the NSX joins. Compounding things further is the unique situation of Eagle Vision. Deploying him in the FTO leaves Geo as the only pilot for the NSX, and Eagle has a bunch of spirits that the NSX really wants to have (Accel, for instance). Furthermore, Eagle also does not learn Command like Gomez, but unlike Gomez doesn't have other things to keep pace with other captains like the Reinforce Jr.'s subpilots. At the end of the day, the NSX just does not have the resources/abilities to keep pace with other ships, so just let it ride out as an event deploy when the Rayearth plot calls for it, but don't put too much into the NSX.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Godinion: This ship looks like it should be on par with other ships due to its initial appearance. Three pilots with a full 6 spirit command list sounds very enticing, and is the main ship associated with a major plot series (Majestic Prince). But then you look under the hood. The ship has zero Move and Fire attacks, and to make a bad situation worse, none of the three pilots learn the Charge spirit command, the one thing that would alleviate this issue. So what you're left with is a ship that has to get into position to do any heavy lifting when you could be attacking and getting things done quicker. It will be forced for Majestic Prince stages and can help out as Seigfried and Guiliano have some support spirit commands, but ultimately, let Suzukaze sit things out. At the very least, when you do get the ship, you also get Reika, whose passive Supporter ability heals units that either dock or get retrieved by a battleship (25% HP and EN recovered, mind you). That said, Mitsuba will gain access to a similar ability rendering Reika's passive moot, but that's behind another upgrade tree of the AOS (albeit much easier to get to compared to her version of Captain's Order due to being earlier in that upgrade tree).

In other words, it starts off good and only needs 1 pilot skill (Hit and Run) bought to cover its weak point, but doesn't get a big upgrade at later levels like Bright does.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't automatically buy hit and run for every battleship what are you even doing?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Godinion is solid. It's basically a slightly more offensive and bulky Ra Cailum for most of the game and once you hit the point in the game where the non-Drei battleships stop having effective combat it has a good enough support spirit set and Repair to fall back on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Huckebein looks real dumb btw

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, Godinion is solid. It's basically a slightly more offensive and bulky Ra Cailum for most of the game and once you hit the point in the game where the non-Drei battleships stop having effective combat it has a good enough support spirit set and Repair to fall back on.

The Godinion can actually remain an incredibly strong combat unit for the entire game if you're willing to toss it an Extra Arms, because its strongest attack is incredibly cheap(20 EN with custom bonus) and has crazy good range.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AradoBalanga posted:

Reinforce Jr.: This ship is interesting. It has a full 5 man crew, but it does come with more downsides compared to the Dreisstrager and Ra Cailum. For one thing, its only defensive spirits are Persist and Foresee, whereas Mitsuba and Bright both have access to Wall for longer tanking sessions. The other downside is that Gomez does not learn Command, putting him well behind the curve compared to the other captains. But, the Reinforce Jr. makes up for its shortcomings with other features. Gomez does come with Supply Parts, meaning you can equip restore items like Repair Kits and Propellant Tanks and use them on adjacent allies. Another point in the ship's favor is that it is one of the few sources of Daunt at a cheap price (sub pilot Jinn Geneham has it for 30 SP, when it usually costs 50 SP). If you have to pick a third option for a battleship, go with the Reinforce Jr. because it will contribute more often than you'd think.

Also the Reinforce Jr. is the only battleship with a post-move finisher, and Gomez's Ace bonus is a permanent Accel when he hits 130 Morale which you can easily hit turn 1 with Fighter's Spirit EX, the standard Ace bonus, and both Morale skills in the AOS. (Or just one and the supporter that gives +2 at the start of your turn.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RBA Starblade posted:

No argument here.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It got asked on the last page, but basically from what I understood from the synopsis of the novels was that The Time of Patria is when humanity is capable of standing up to and dealing with weird existential threats and bullshit so the Bettermen don't need to protect them anymore. They use the seed from Gai as the Conquering King to open a portal to another universe that is very young so they can go and watch over life there as it grows. A couple of the Bettermen stay behind for practical reasons (such as being the gateway the others are going through) or sentimental one but almost all of them leave.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you don't automatically buy hit and run for every battleship what are you even doing?

ftfy

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been trying to get into Katoki's headspace since I first saw the thing. It's like he took Wing Zero, Zephyranthes, painted them in Titans colors, then remembered this was for SRW game and added the visor and leap slasher. The visor goes away in the "midseason upgrade" but the weapons pack looks kinda dumb too. Again like someone bogey taped this setup on the back of something it wasn't designed for.

(And mind you, most of the problem with the flight unit is that the graviton rifles and black hole cannon are stored pointing upwards like loving smokestacks.)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Eagle has 40 SP Prospect on a main pilot so the NSX is a fabulous SP battery for Mitsubomb or whoever else you want to spam Resolve with that doesn't take up a slot for a real unit. That's all they have going for but honestly I rate infinite turn potential much higher than, like, the entirety of the Ra Calium's kit.

HiKaizer posted:

It got asked on the last page, but basically from what I understood from the synopsis of the novels was that The Time of Patria is when humanity is capable of standing up to and dealing with weird existential threats and bullshit so the Bettermen don't need to protect them anymore. They use the seed from Gai as the Conquering King to open a portal to another universe that is very young so they can go and watch over life there as it grows. A couple of the Bettermen stay behind for practical reasons (such as being the gateway the others are going through) or sentimental one but almost all of them leave.

Oh hey, thanks for clearing it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bettermen loving off to where they will never be heard from again is the happiest ending of all