Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Immutable /usr really. I use Fedora Silverblue on my desktop and I like it a lot. Toolbox containers for command line tools, Podman containers for dev servers, Flatpak containers for desktop applications. System upgrades build a new hidden /usr in the background and you switch to it by rebooting.

The version for servers is called Fedora CoreOS but that's very much a some-assembly-required sort of deal.

valve is going in a similar direction for steamos 3, with the root file system being immutable (by default at least, apparently there will be a switch if you are intent on janitoring a handheld gaming device)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

yeah count me in as another happy silverblue user

I really respect that when I actually needed to edit a file in /etc, I was able to try it as a _temporary_ change, but in order to make it permanent I had to write my edit as a rpm file and install it as any other package so it could be reverted if needed

didn't expect a relatively "mainstream" distro to have the balls to actually forbid sysadmins from being lazy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:confused:

not sure if you're trolling but /etc is mutable. the end goal is to ship a completely empty /etc and to merge&default from /usr/etc.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I really respect that when I actually needed to edit a file in /etc, I was able to try it as a _temporary_ change, but in order to make it permanent I had to write my edit as a rpm file and install it as any other package so it could be reverted if needed
how is this not considered actual violence, considering how hostile it is to sysadmins?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

how is this not considered actual violence, considering how hostile it is to sysadmins?

sysadmins who edit files by hand in 2022 deserve all possible hostility

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sysadmins who edit files by hand in 2022 deserve all possible hostility
linux.txt

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

lot of predictable posting gimmicks in this thread :discourse:

wish we could get a hot take from nbsd

Editing files by hand is gonna be necessary for development servers, people learning Linux, and physical servers.

Maybe a fully declarative and package-manager-maintained configuration would be really nice for virtual machines in a cloud environment. But not everyone runs their outfit out of aws or azure.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
isn't coreOS like an appliance-ified linux with immutable-ish / , and config managed by crio when fed base64 encoded yaml somehow ?

e: oop - ignition handles config, not crio - which is a podman/docker/container runtime

fresh_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 2, 2022

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Editing files by hand is gonna be necessary for development servers, people learning Linux, and physical servers.

Maybe a fully declarative and package-manager-maintained configuration would be really nice for virtual machines in a cloud environment. But not everyone runs their outfit out of aws or azure.

the last place i worked at that had physical servers was AOL and even in 2013 they weren't editing files by hand. at that place "log aggregation" meant each prod server had a daily cron job to rsync logs to the archive server, and they weren't editing files by hand. not everyone gets to live in the good place, sure. some people will be forced by malicious policy or unfortunate circumstance to stay in the bad place. that doesn't mean their suffering is noble, necessary, or even justified. it's just something that happens and doesn't have to.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

:confused:

not sure if you're trolling but /etc is mutable. the end goal is to ship a completely empty /etc and to merge&default from /usr/etc.

my bad it was to put a file in /lib not /etc that i had needed to create a rpm package

(/etc is mutable but still layered iirc)

sorry for accidentally trolling the windows thread

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

sb hermit posted:

So use literally any other distro or operating system what a stupid post

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

So use literally any other distro or operating system what a stupid post

did you forget where you're posting

I'm not saying that people have to use one or the other. I'm just pointing out that no single distribution will cover all requirements.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if youre in a cloud it literally doesnt matter at all what distro you use, because it's just a substrate that you run packer on and shove into an asg. thats why coreos failed

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I want to browse the internet while pretending I'm elite hacker-man, what OS should I use for that?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

The Wisest Moron posted:

I want to browse the internet while pretending I'm elite hacker-man, what OS should I use for that?

https://www.morphos-team.net

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

The Wisest Moron posted:

lynx in a tiling window manager on arch, op

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

my homie dhall posted:

lynx in a tiling window manager on arch, op

Thank you kindly :tipshat:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

but op, what about w3m?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

i thought this was just a regular 2010-style user-friendly 'multimedia' distro, kinda like ubuntu studio but xfce-based or more generally 'lightweight', so i was wondering ytf you thought it would have nerd cred

took me until i stumbled on the hardware compatibility page for the penny to drop

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Wisest Moron posted:

RISC OS and NetSurf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
emacs w3-mode in an emacs window in full-screen text mode using a 5×7 font

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i like it, being able to play wipeout is a feature too many other operating systems have left to the wayside imo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://ta180m.exozy.me/posts/installing-every-arch-package/

quote:

So, let’s sudo systemctl start lxdm and choose one of the 44 desktop sessions to explore.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

Figure out how to make pacman skip all package conflict checks, possibly by editing the pacman source code and disabling the relevant code that does these checks, so we can really install every single Arch package.
i like the cut of their jib

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cutefish Desktop

e: oh okay it's just a macos ripoff

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

lmfao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

heh

It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

would actually be fun with native glide support on linux if wine could be made to support it. i still have some glide games installed, using an opengl wrapper

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

heh

It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

would actually be fun with native glide support on linux if wine could be made to support it. i still have some glide games installed, using an opengl wrapper

I always thought the classic glide games were DOS, like tomb raider and glquake (which used a glide minidriver to translate opengl to glide), because direct3d was gonna come eat Glide's market share like crazy.

Although I guess there may have been some win95 games that used glide. Probably one of the most notable glide games was Ultima 9. And I remember playing an n64 emulator in the real late 90s or so that only ran on glide.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tribes wanted glide originally iirc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think I remember Earth 2150 could use glide or opengl.

Man, I want to play Earth 2150 now. And Warzone 2100.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good news, earth is on sale right now for a couple bucks on steam and runs great with proton

sb hermit posted:

Although I guess there may have been some win95 games that used glide. Probably one of the most notable glide games was Ultima 9. And I remember playing an n64 emulator in the real late 90s or so that only ran on glide.

carmageddon 2 was amazing on voodoo and poo poo on everything else iirc lmao
software renderer was what it was, and opengl crashed regularly

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I own physical copies of Earth 2150 and its expansions.

It's a good game.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

half life had glide support as well but that custom minigl driver was way faster on voodoo cards anyway

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I always thought the classic glide games were DOS, like tomb raider and glquake (which used a glide minidriver to translate opengl to glide), because direct3d was gonna come eat Glide's market share like crazy.

most glide games were for windows (glquake was built on winquake, don't forget to re-vis the maps for transparent water). dos glide games like tomb raider were the exception

the hardware rendering in the original unreal engine was basically built around glide and ran like garbage on the opengl and d3d backends for a long time

this is neat, but why is it needed when glide→gl wrappers have been around for 20 years?

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 4, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The_Franz posted:

this is neat, but why is it needed when glide→gl wrappers have been around for 20 years?

it isn't, the guy openly admitted that he did it for fun and to learn systems-level programming with rust

which sounds weird for a PR to a kernel driver, but when you think about it, every systems programmer has to write their first driver at some point and this is just about the lowest-stake one imaginable

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's not needed for anything other that retro coding, if you fancy making anything new with 3dfx on linux or something

he says it's "for fun" in the merge request

edit: too late there, and yes that rust thingie also, didn't think about that

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

it isn't, the guy openly admitted that he did it for fun and to learn systems-level programming with rust

which sounds weird for a PR to a kernel driver, but when you think about it, every systems programmer has to write their first driver at some point and this is just about the lowest-stake one imaginable

It's not even a kernel driver. So really, ultra-low stakes.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Plasma 5.24.0 is out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/mattst88/status/1489710508336828421