Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back! The last time, a few things happened. Ken and Sachiko (who still seems to not know much about the world in general!) are still chasing after Linda, who seems to be trying to figure out the mystery behind the weird suicides in Minago, which somehow also seems to involve the owner of the dog fighting arena in Dogy Figh and also the commander of the Ozport airport. Speaking of which, aide Kammer left on a shuttle, only for shuttle to suddenly explode after launch, killing everyone on board. Admittedly, the flight attendant there seemed to look a bit familiar. After this, we finally learned that Linda has been seen in Paraside, so that's where we'll be heading next!

Here we are. Let's see now, before we go inside to look for Linda...

...let's have at that back wall, and see what graffiti it contains this time (since they are different from Scenario A). This first one (which you can see above) is a bit mysterious, but upon closer examination appears to just be a joke on the topic of what the Japanese vision test charts look like:

Check especially the numbers which are matching with what you would expect to see on a chart like this.

The next one is here...

Noriko, I love you! Let's get married, my love! 🎔
  -- Yutaka

Another in joke from the game's development staff, I guess.

And the last one is here...

Yes! I wrote this, so now I, too, get to be in the end credits roll!

Yep, these are just the developers goofing around. This dude here is the one who tells you that donations for refugees are all good and nice, but he's in need too, so you might as well give he money to him instead. And we will. But not in this scenario just yet. Therefore, let's head back around...

...and enter the "Junk Palace" right here.

Mostly people here are saying the same things as before, but this lady here has adjusted her comments...

I heard that Hume was killed... I guess I expected it will happen one day, I mean he was doing all kinds of crazy things to support his wife and daughter before they got back together. He had many enemies, and no doubt Gomez and his gang are the prime suspects here...

You might recall Gomez, the boss of the hunters for hire who operate here in Paraside. We'll meet up with him in a moment.

Let's take that staircase to the right of us...

We get to the bar area, so let's start by talking to this gentlemant reading his newspaper at the table...

The kind that would make any thug shudder... have you heard the new rumour about a bounty hunter team? They call themselves "The Comedy Trio from Hell", and it consists of Smilly, Niko and Gera. Although with that kind of name, I'm not sure how succesful they really are.

We will meet up with these guys later today, but while we're here I guess I should explain the names. "Niko" comes from Japanese word "nikoniko" which means roughly "to do something with a smile" or something to that extent. On the other hand "Gera" is simply a Kansai dialect word for someone who smiles a lot. So I guess they all have names which have to do with smiling?

If we talk to the waitress behind the bar there...

You should visit the Lulinas Tower archaeological ruins, up north. But Gomez's gang has been there so many times, it's unlikely there's anything good left there.

Another one of this game's dungeons, of course, which we will visit in due time.

All right, let's go up this staircase and keep looking for Linda (let's try not to forget why we're here!).

Up here is the room where Gomez and his gang hang out... We'll leave Gomes for last (he's the one standing in the centre in front of the table), but let's see what other guys have to say. First the ones around the table...

Rats, cats, dogs... which one shall we do today?
I guess maybe cat dance?
It would be fun to make you pretend to be a rat...
Cat dance is fun, but it takes too much time to prepare everything...
Gomez has a particular talent for bullying the weak guys...

What are they even talking about...?

For now, there's a few more of them here in the corner...

Gomez has mellowed out quite a bit by now, so it's probably going to be a game of "Dog-pretend"
It's hard to clean up after "rat-pretend" game... the floor gets a bit too messy.
I'd rather not see a male chicken lay an egg...
The "dog-pretend" game is probably the easiest to organise...

Let's not forget about this last guy here by the sink...

I don't like the anglerfish dance or the firefly dance because it takes too much effort and it's often over way too quickly...

They keep talking about these pretend-games. I wonder what that's all about. But, let's talk to Gomez!

But as we approach...

...one of the hunters restrains Sachiko in the corner there...

...while the others surround Ken! Uh-oh, this doesn't look good...

You call yourself "Ken", huh? And you're somehow supposed to be Linda's squeeze? I've already heard about you...
I've heard you're super smart and talented and that you can even speak the language of the animals...? You're even a master at mimicking a dog's bark, right?

So this comes a bit out of nowhere, but mimicking animal calls is in fact... yet another game mechanic! You can use it to lure certain animals into battle (and some can only be caught this way--again another thing for our "later" list).

Would you mind demonstrating it for us?
Hey, guys! Come here! Let's see what this fella can do, shall we?
Uh, this time, I guess... / [ No way! ]
Ya know, lots of weird stuff going on lately, so unless you can prove you're Ken, I'm not letting ya see Linda, you get me? I mean, just barking like a dog is a small price to pay to see here, right?

Based on previous comments from these jerks, I guess we should be happy they're only making us bark!

[ Fine, I'll do it... ] / Absolutely not!

It seems that we'll have to, as humiliating as it seems...

All right! It nice to see a proper pathetic loser for once! Go around the table three times and say "woof woof"!
[ I guess it can't be helped... ] / Are you kidding me!
So you really want to see Linda this much, eh Woof-Woof?

In the Japanese version Gomez calls Ken "Woof-chan".

But either way, Ken has to do as he's told, and in fact it's you as player who has to navigate him three times around the table, while pressing the circle button to bark! These guys are just bullies and nothing else.

And then...

Next, I want you to pick up this piece of meat! Then I will let you see Linda!
[ Yes, master! ] / I'm done with this...

So now they throw a piece of meat down on the floor and Ken has to pick it up. But, every time he comes near...

...one of the guys kicks it over to the other side!

This repeats a couple of times, and then...

So they were never going to let Ken see Linda no matter what he did or didn't do... But no matter, because the moment we've all been waiting for has finally come!

A figure with very familiar looking hairstyle approaches and throws a piece of furniture at one of these jerks!

It's cutscene time!

I'll give you a few moments to stop laughing!

All right, then. So, it's Linda and her new arm! Looks pretty cool... but also ridiculous... but also very cool! You better believe there's going to be some awesome concept art on this topic down in the gallery section!

Anyway, here's what happens next. Linda approaches Gomez, who is now singing a different tune!

Right... You we're just joking too... T-that's... good... Hehehe...
Yes, hehehe, just a joke.

They all disperse, so Linda can finally talk to Ken! Also, as you can see, yes, indeed they did make a whole new sprite of Linda with her cape and the (very) large arm! (Well and also a whole separate set of portraits where her cape is visible, too.)

Huh? What's with that look! Did you think I was going to just be moping about because I've lost my left arm?
Sorry, but that's just not who I am! I'm not weak like that! On the contrary, daddy's arm has come in quite handy to gain the upper hand in a number of occasions! So even being on my own like this, I haven't really been inconvenienced.
But! Because you came all the way here today to find me, I will come with you for now so you don't feel bad about it! Does that make you happy?
[ I'm starting to cry... ] / S'okay, I guess...
I love it when you're honest like that!
*kiss* 🎔

And then, someone who we have all forgotten about joins the conversation, reminding us that she's still hanging about!

Please excuse me now...
Hey, wait! Aren't you Dr. Emory's daughter...?
Yes, I'm Sachiko.
Please tell to Dr. Emory that I'm really grateful to him for this left arm!
Understood. I'm sure father will be very happy to hear that. Then, farewell...

And with that, Sachiko leaves.

Before we leave this town, we should go and talk to the elder... He took good care of me, so we should both go and say thanks!

In case you've forgotten, she's talking about the Beastian elder who was hacking into Federation's computers in Scenario A.

Before going, Ken can take his revenge on these bullies by punching them and making them bark while they say "please, more" and things to that extent. There's not really any interesting dialogue here, but we can talk to Gomez one last time for now.

It seems their "bit of fun" is to make people pretend to be various animals in humiliating ways. Can't say that I see the fun in that.

But anyway, enough of that nonsense. Let's go talk to the elder; as you might remember he's in that small room upstairs.

But he had to do it. You woulnd't have come to see this young man otherwise, right?
Linda... you love this youngster a lot, don't you?
Yes.
Then, don't be so stubborn in front of him, all right? A man and a woman should share their hardships! Do you understand?
Yes.
All right then. It's getting a bit late today already, so why don't you sleep here in this room. It wouldn't do that a reunited couple should spend the first night back together outside in the wild, would it now?

Well, to be honest, I fell like Gomez and the gang enjoyed the whole thing a bit too much, so I'm not really sure about the "trick" thing, but I guess we are back with Linda for now so we have achieved the desired result.

In any case, the elder goes away, and so Ken and Linda get ready for bed...

...but this time they didn't make proper sprites to represent that, so they just look like they are standing on the bed.

Before they fall asleep, Linda has something to say...

But... is it all right if I break my vow, just for tonight? *sob*
Ken, I... I... Those guys... I will never forgive them!
I will not rest, until I send them all straight to hell!
Bastards! Bastards! *sob* Give me back mummy and daddy! *sob*

Well then.

The next morning...

Ken and Linda are ready to continue this together, at least for now. Therefore, before that, let's check out Linda's stats.

This time, we get Linda back into our party at level 5. Unfortunately, it does not appear that her enhanced arm results in any kind of difference in her battle stats or abilities, so I guess we'll have to go and level her up a bit before we go hunting again!

But, we have a few things to do before we do that. First of all, let's go downstairs into the main area.

The Elder is down here. But I will draw your attention to the guy with a backpack heading left... he is one of those homeless guys hanging about places like Paraside or Ozport. He was here, talking to the Elder, but departed promptly as soon as Ken and Linda appeared. So, let's talk to the Elder and find out what that was all about...

They are the Federation's professional bounty hunters, "The Comedy Trio from Hell". The top class bounty hunters, to be exact!
This really seems to be getting interesting now, isn't it? Who will win? The red team? Or the white team? Oh-ho-ho!

The red team/white team is a reference to the athletics events organised by Japanese schools, where children compete as red team vs. white team. This guy is just a fount of comedy, isn't he.

We're going to head out slowly towards Ozport. I should mention that all the hunters have now reverted back to their normal situation where you are able to hire them to go hunting for animals (including Gomez, but anyway we can't afford him, so...).

On the way out, we can talk to this lady here...

Two people who love each other will always stay together... that's what Hume used to say. To have all this happen just as he managed to get back together with his wife... it's a pity. I guess he was just unlucky.

In the previous scenario, she also had a comment on this saying of Hume's, but of course it was different since in Scenario A, Hume and his wife were divorced.

Of course we want to head to Ozport to speak to the "comedy troupe", but first, let's make a quick stop at Hardia to visit Ben and Ken's mum.

We find them both at Ken's house!

But I have the best thing for my stomach, right here: your mum's banana meat pie! It's so good, I could eat it every day and not get sick of it! The word I would use to describe it is "sublime"!

Well, ok, you eat your pie and we'll talk to Ken's mum in the meantime!

It's really good to have Linda back, Ken! As Hume used to say, the two people who love each other should always stay together. I think so, too! Therefore, Ken, please make sure that from now on, Linda is never left alone again!

That's everything we can do here, so let's go outside. As always we can take a break and sit on the swing with Linda here.

[ Well, kind of... ] / What promise?
Huh? I guess I managed to win you over already when we were kinds, didn't I? Well, I'm glad we were childhood friends, anyhow.

All right then, I know we're supposed to go to Ozport, but while we're in the East Area, why don't we first...

...head down to Marblepolis and fight some worms to get Linda's level up a bit?

Here I also take a chance to arrange Linda's equipment:

So I basically give her whatever is the strongest equipment that Ken is not using. So she ends up with entrail clothes, rhino cap and keeps her starting rabbit boots. As for weapon, I give her the hippo tomahawk a bit as a test as it is pretty strong, even though it only hits one enemy. During the leveling process, I ultimately decide that hitting multiple enemies is for now more important, so I do finally equip her with the spare swallow cutter I have. Probably I should go and craft another eagle sword, but for now we should be fine.

After a few minutes of fighting worms, where Linda basically earns a level per battle, here's where we end up:

With this in mind, I feel like we're now strong enough to take on the chickens which also live in this cave:

And so we capture a few of those too, to add to our tally.

With this done, let's now head finally to Ozport to meet the bounty hunters.

Let's head over to the park and see if somebody has heard something about these guys.

If we talk to the man here...

A bounty hunter named Smilly Clunker has arrived. They're staying in the VIP room in the hotel over there. Looks like bounty hunters earn a lot of money... perhaps that's a job I should take up?

The bounty hunter's name really doesn't inspire confidence at all. For the curious, his last name in Japanese original is: ポンコツ.

The lady standing here also doesn't actually have anything plot related to say, but still it's something we haven't heard yet, so...

The silence of the night in the wild makes a woman talkative. So if you want to know her true thoughts, it's best to make camp and see. Give it a try.

A nice hint that you should use the "camp" option regularly as there might be additional dialogue to be had!

Let's head into the hotel and find these bounty hunters.

The people we're looking for are over there in the room!

Those two over there are Niko and Gera. Nice to meet you!
I've heard of you from aide Kammer. You have come here for the data about the Puppet Master, right?
[ Please give it to us! ] / Nope, you got it all wrong...
For now, let's say that if anything happens to us, we'll make sure that you get all our data. Is that fine?
[ Sounds reasonable. ] / That's not going to work for us.
Then, first of all, talk to Niko and Gera for some rumours about the Puppet Master.

All right, let's talk to Niko (or is it Gera?).

This Puppet Master didn't have an easy life. His beloved wife died in childbirth, but left him a memento, a child with heart valve problems. So he didn't know what to do, but didn't really want to sell his soul to the devil... so in the end he sold his bionics research to some war-mongering idiots to help pay for his child's surgery.

And then, Gera (or perhaps this one is Niko?).

It's thanks to the Puppet Master's dolls that Smilly's face is messed up like that. They just have a messy way of working--when they find themselves even at a slight disadvantage, they just blow themselves up. Seems like a perfect character trait if you want to be a terrorist. They don't feel pain in their body or mind--that's bionics for you!

Interesting... but not immediately useful, to be honest. Before we leave, let's talk a bit more with Smilly.

It's the current bounty on Puppet Master... and also the number of lives that jerk has taken so far!

T-That's a lot... But we're done here for now, so let's head out. As we're heading out...

...we run into Sachiko!

I have decided to visit the graves of Minago victims together with father, so I have come here to buy some flowers. But I can't find the flower shop...
[ It's outside, in one of the tents over in the park. ] / Why not just pick some from somebody's flower bed?
I always learn so much from you! Thank you so much!

She stays there, while Ken and Linda proceed on their way out.

As we are walking, Linda gets one of her bouts of insecurity...

You think so? / I agree. / She's a little odd, though? / I don't know...
She's the type you wouldn't mind if she confessed to you, right?
Well, I guess. / No, not at all like that!
I see. Well, I'll tell her next time I see her. You know, when this mess is over... I always wanted to experience a love triangle in all its messy ugliness. Life is too short not to have fun, right?
Right, Ken?

Don't answer that, Ken. It's a trap. Also Ken's answers are not highlighted above because they don't make a difference.

As we are about the leave town...

...Sachiko comes into town and walks past us. She does not seem to notice and/or recognise us.

We try following her, but she's already disappeared somewhere. Oh well, maybe it wasn't her. Let's be on our way.

Well, I don't know about you, but I think it's time for a little bit of hunting! Therefore, let's head down south again!

As we're walking around, looking for different species...

...we get another message notification. Well, that can wait a bit.

And also as we go in and out of the Dogy Figh tunnel...

...it becomes Autumn 1992. This Scenario B is surely talking a bit longer to finish than A. We were long done with A at this point in the timeline!

And then, just as we're about to fight a new species, a second message notification arrives!

But this one, too, can wait. First I want to see what that animal is that's hiding behind the notification!

You probably have a good idea what this is, and you would be right...

...nevertheless, nothing can prepare you for what they actually look like! Indeed, these are zebras, as I'm sure you've already guessed!

As you can see, nothing special to be seen here. In addition, I know you are wondering how much more crazy they might have looked in the PC Engine version, but... turns out they looked mostly the same--this is one of the species which survived completely unchanged in the remake!

After a bit more walking around...

...we find another unfamiliar species.

This time it's a bunch of mantises!

As you can see, there's also nothing particularly dangerous here, so we can easily capture a few.

So, at this point, I get a very smart idea. I figure, well we have leveled up a bit, so why don't we try and see if we are able to deal with the roses at this point? In fact, I don't really care about the roses, but I do want to capture the grasshoppers they summon. But in order to do that, we need to be able to survive the rose!

So with that in mind, we head back to Rose Garden...

...and walk straight towards one of the big roses!

Let's see how this goes now! You might also notice that I removed the dogs from our party temporarily. This is because the grasshoppers are really weak, so the dogs, which cannot be controlled, are likely to accidentally kill them before they can be captured. Therefore, it's safer to do this without the dogs!

In any case, we start by transforming Ken into an eagle, which gives him a crazy +116 to his attack power!

This allows him to deal a whole 169 damage to the rose in one hit, which is way more than before!

After a couple of turns, as expected...

...the rose summons a bunch of grasshoppers! This is exactly what we wanted!

Except now we have just a slight problem! The grasshoppers have tiny HP and Ken is way too strong now. So what I've done is unequip Linda's weapon and also I am going to use a weak ability (such as gale cutter) to reduce the damage she does as much as possible! In addition to that, Linda transforms into a leech, to reduce the damage even further. This seems quite a weird thing to do in a JRPG battle, but it's definitely necessary here and in the end we manage to capture a few grasshoppers! Another option, I suppose, could have been to take Linda directly here while still level 5. Probably that would have also worked.

This is an interesting example of a situation where you really need to figure things out a bit how to capture a particular species. There will definitely be more of those in the future.

For now, though, let's head back to the ark, to hand these in!

This time we're handing in: chickens, zebras, mantises and grasshoppers.

Afterwards, the robot informs us that we have so far gathered 36 species out of needed 50. So we're slowly getting there.

We're close to a telephone, so let's check out the first of those two messages we received.

The message is from Dr. Emory.

Ah, it's Emory. How is everything progressing post-surgery? It's been a while since I've had a holiday, so I'm at home having a bit of a break. I was wondering how Linda's recovery is going, so why don't you come over and visit me for a quick check-up? You're more than welcome. We're just east of Dogy Figh, take the J-17 tunnel. Also, uh, watch out for the leopards!

Well, leopards are definitely not an issue for us at this point, but let's go and visit Emory then. His home is located in a place called Laguna Lodge.

So, let's head there.

And here is why it's called Laguna Lodge! Because it's literally on the lake coast!

Heading inside, we can see that it was indeed built in a traditional Japanese style. We'll skip the main building for the moment though...

...because there is also this little side building here.

Inside is a locked door on the left and some paintings on the right. If we check out the painting...

The is a painting in progress depicting a man. Somehow he looks a bit familiar.

Unfortunately that's all we can get here, no painting close up image to be seen. So now let's head over to the main building.

Well, there's Dr. Emory. But first we can check out these storage cabinets here.

There is a red doll with a big head here.

Curious. But let's just talk to Emory for now.

Have you noticed any changes in your health since the surgery?
I feel perfectly well, doctor! If anything, my appetite is even better than before! I guess I must be eating for my dad, too!
Your appetite has increased? That's good, that's good. Young people should eat well!

Apparently that's all he wanted to do! So we start to leave, but...

Wait, how did YOU hear about that?

I wonder what kind of guy must be such a brutal criminal... He must also look like a real thug. Well, I guess you're probably going to get into a fight with him sooner or later. So I would recommend heading to Dark River. There are some rare species and you can also level up there.

Been there, done that last time!

However, what you don't see on these screenshots is that in that other room to the right...

...we can find his daughter, Sachiko!

First of all, I'll save us all the trouble and mention immediately, that yes, indeed, she is very definitely blocking the way to that chest there.

Second, there are a couple of things to be looked at here. To start with, whatever that stuff is on the table on the right side.

There is a malformed doll whose whole body is red, but it has no limbs at all.

The other thing is those photographs on the wall next to the entrance.

Pictures of Sachiko, from her childhood all the way up to now are attached on the wall.

Ok, let's talk to her then.

You will be there too, right? We can see each other again there.

And she remains as weird as ever! Also, she already told us this same thing previously.

However, we're definitely done here for now. So the only thing remaining for the time being is to check that other message we received earlier. So let's head somewhere where there is a phone.

This time, the message is from that Elder from Paraside!

Hey, it's gramps from Paraside. I was happy to see that you're doing well and it's good to see that you are happy together.
But I have to tell you, in case you haven't already heard... that bounty hunter you met at the hotel... somebody bumped him off.
It seems that this Puppet Master is even nastier than me. So please be careful so you don't get yourself killed, ok?

Well, thanks for that, gramps. But... what now--it seems that everybody who was investigating this Puppet Master ended up killed? The only hope is that Smilly may have been able to make arrangements for us to receive the data upon his death somehow. But, we'll see about that next time!

So, obviously today we have a bunch of concept art related to Linda's new arm! And it's truly some of the best so far!

Just check this out.

And one last one, showing the look from PC Engine version:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, that arm is something else pretty normal. The new look is pretty good though.

(Not giving her an attack boost for it is a missed opportunity, either that or maybe Hume was more of a bodybuilder than a powerlifter.)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The final pc engine art actually makes the arm look somewhat normal.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The Linda reveal did not disappoint.

RIP Smilly.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

linda can really rock a cape

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

ivantod posted:

There is a malformed doll whose whole body is red, but it has no limbs at all.

a Daruma doll?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Booky posted:

It's all very 'Bandit Lord'. Like, it'd fit perfectly in a more Mad Max setup or so.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Booky posted:

:emptyquote:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So wait a drat minute.

The devs go out of their way to give Linda a new sprite, a whole new set of portraits. They then don't give her new status screen art? That's clearly her original left arm!

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

As an aside, they could not be throwing up more flags that Adolf Emory is the Puppet Master if they tried.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 31, 2022

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
i saw a post about this on tumblr and was immediately sucked in; i was absolutely convinced it was just like some sort of fake concept art and nothing i read helped allay that except this and even now it seems like something from a loving scp

thank you for documenting this because holy poo poo what a game

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And then Linda turned into Frog from Chrono Trigger

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess it would be pretty funny if the Puppet Master turns out to be some rando and has nothing to do with Emory and Sachiko

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Connie4800 posted:

i saw a post about this on tumblr and was immediately sucked in; i was absolutely convinced it was just like some sort of fake concept art and nothing i read helped allay that except this and even now it seems like something from a loving scp

thank you for documenting this because holy poo poo what a game

I can totally see how the existence of this game would be a bit hard to believe, but I can assure you it's absolutely real! ;)

To prove it, I even took pictures of my hand holding the game CD in its case, look:

Perhaps surprisingly, the game comes on only a single CD, despite the FMV cutscenes and all that.

But on a more serious note, one does wonder from time to time, what series of circumstances led to somebody high up not ending up putting a stop to this project. I guess Japan-only games back then were probably more permissive in what you could do/show than the western publishers. Like for example, to take a completely inoffensive situation, I am like 99.9% sure that the bit from this last update where it's made clear that Ken and Linda will share a single bed overnight (and the game even shows them in it, however awkwardly) would be a definite no-no for Sony USA/EU in the mid 1990s. Let's not even go into more weird stuff that is in this game.

I'm thinking maybe it has a bit to do also with the clout that Shoji Masuda, the game's designer/director had in the early-mid 1990s. He was coming off of twin mega-successes of his Tengai Makyou games on PC Engine in 1989/1992. While these games are not well known in the west (due to a lack of any kind of release here), they were/are huge in Japan, and back in the day were pretty much the PC Engine equivalent of Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest as far as JRPGs go. They were actually even more advanced technically than those, since even the first Tengai Makyou in 1989 was already using the PC Engine Super CD platform and had animated cutscenes and voiced dialogue, which NES/SNES games could generally only dream about. So I'm thinking his reputation may have also helped get this released.

(Don't tell anybody, but I MIGHT go for Tengai Makyou II as the my next LP, but we'll see.)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think the surprising thing to me is that this game was rereleased on psx after an initial release on pcengine. I have no idea what the market looked like back then but that seems to imply it was popular enough to port over at least.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There was something of a rush to capitalise on the new hardware at the time: the step up in power from the 16-bit to 32-bit consoles was arguably the biggest step forward in gaming before or since - the PS2 looked better than the PS1, the Gamecube looked leagues better than the N64, and so on but neither of those really allowed devs to completely invent new styles or genres of gameplay literally never seen before. So, in order to get cash for increasing development costs and get new projects off the ground to begin with, there were a lot of games that received redesigns/revisions/upgrades on the PS1 and Saturn. It was really more of a Japanese phenomenon, however, since, in the West, Sony, at least, had policies in place to make sure that games trying to do that had English dubs where applicable, a certain percentage of new content, etc. Sega, I believe, were more lax about that sort of thing, and towards the end of the Saturn's lifespan (and basically all the Dreamcast's life), would consider releasing anything in the West, since they were desperate to get some kind of an edge over Sony. But since the Playstation may as well have been the only game in town, it didn't amount to much.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Just want to say thanks for posting the concept art, it's great. Gonna make Linda with the nail bat my phone background.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As a whole, publishers in Japan also seem to be more willing to take risks with what we would consider to be "oddball" games. Stuff like LSD and Linda^3 would probably never see the light of day over here outside of Steam (before consoles had digital stores at any rate)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like it--and you can see a maneki neko next to it on the dresser. I suspect the red doll with the big head in the locker may be a kokeshi.

ivantod posted:

"Niko" comes from Japanese word "nikoniko" which means roughly "to do something with a smile" or something to that extent. On the other hand "Gera" is simply a Kansai dialect word for someone who smiles a lot. So I guess they all have names which have to do with smiling?
Yep! "Nikoniko" is like "all [sunny] smiles"; the smiley Burger Shop clerk in Mother 2 says "nikoniko" where her Earthbound equivalent says "(smile, smile)". And "geragera" is used for a loud guffaw. The word doesn't seem to be used for a smile, just a laugh, but I suppose it could be extrapolated out to a huge dopey and/or poo poo-eating grin.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Linda's gross Dad arm is actually rad as hell and I love it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hirayuki posted:

Looks like it--and you can see a maneki neko next to it on the dresser. I suspect the red doll with the big head in the locker may be a kokeshi.

Yep! "Nikoniko" is like "all [sunny] smiles"; the smiley Burger Shop clerk in Mother 2 says "nikoniko" where her Earthbound equivalent says "(smile, smile)". And "geragera" is used for a loud guffaw. The word doesn't seem to be used for a smile, just a laugh, but I suppose it could be extrapolated out to a huge dopey and/or poo poo-eating grin.

Hey thanks for this explanation, as you can see I'm not exactly an expert on different kinds of Japanese dolls, so I appreciate the extra details! ;)

And when we are on topic of Japanese "onomatopeic" words, I should note that Linda in particular likes to use them in her speech, but of course this is not easy to convey in translation so that nuance kind of gets lost. As a good example, she refers to the "current mess" of murders and shuttle explosions that they find themselves in as このゴタゴタ. Also, when talking about her desire to experience a love triangle she describes it as ボロボロのドロドロ which I turned into "messy ugliness", but in retrospect, maybe that's not exactly the 100% accurate translation for that expression.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 2, 2022

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

And when we are on topic of Japanese "onomatopeic" words, I should note that Linda in particular likes to use them in her speech, but of course this is not easy to convey in translation so that nuance kind of gets lost. As a good example, she refers to the "current mess" of murders and shuttle explosions that they find themselves in as このゴタゴタ. Also, when talking about her desire to experience a love triangle she describes it as ボロボロのドロドロ which I turned into "messy ugliness", but in retrospect, maybe that's not exactly the 100% accurate translation for that expression.
No, that's great! Your translations are fab as always. It's cool to find out that she talks in such a particular way; clearly the writers were keen to give her some rich characterization beyond the usual clichéd stuff you see in anime that is almost always bound to the speaker's age and gender.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Having this giant rad arm makes my kokoro doki doki.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hirayuki posted:

No, that's great! Your translations are fab as always.

That's nice to hear, thank you! :)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, guess what I was lucky enough to pick up this weekend as part of a visit to a retro/import games store?

I also got a shitload of other games, but Linda's been on my list for a while. And they had three copies. So let me assure you all, this game is not an elaborate hoax!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh poo poo! Breath of Fire IV! I remember that game! Oh, hey, Linda^3 is there too.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back! Last time, Ken finally managed to find Linda (and her new arm) over in Paraside after which they went and spoke to this bounty hunter "Smilly Clunker" who promised to provide them the information about the "Puppet Master" including in case something happens to him. Well, turns out something did and someone got rid of him and his crew! Ken and Linda also visited again Dr. Emory in his house at Laguna Lodge, but seemingly nothing useful was learned, other than the fact that Emory is somehow aware of the whole Puppet Master situation.

Since the plot is clearly starting to set itself up for the grand finale, I figured we might focus a bit more on capturing in this episode, including some slightly more unusual captures. But don't worry, we'll progress the plot too, and even watch more than one cutscene.

And finally, I have a bit of a rarity to show you today in the Extras section at the end so make sure not to miss that!

Ken and Linda are leaving Emory's Laguna Lodge residence...

As just as we've started looking for some new species to capture, Ken again gets a message notification! This one is definitely going to have to wait a bit!

But then I figure... since we're here, why not craft the eagle sword for Linda, too? It should help a little bit at least if we capture any harder enemies, right? (Sorry about the horrible weather in this screenshot, by the way!)

After capturing the required number of male eagles, I make camp and set Ken to weapon crafting activity.

As before, we need 10 eagles to make the sword...

...and here is the result, a bit of an increase in attack power for Linda plus the ability to hit all enemies at once. I think this will serve us for the rest of our capture tasks just fine.

Also, waking up from the camp...

...we find out that it's now Winter 1992. But we still have 6.5 years left and only 14 species to capture, so we should be able to achieve that with ease.

For today's capturing session, we'll visit some of the caves/dungeons where we haven't necessarily been before. As usual, for now we're mostly just capturing the animals that can be found more or less easily in the world. The more elaborate captures are for now on our "later" list, i.e. we mostly won't be doing them in this scenario, other than a couple of slightly unusual ones today. As we go about our capturing, we'll also come across a couple of other things which might pique our interest, but we won't explore them fully yet.

The darn eagles will chase you everywhere... it's a bit annoying now that we don't actually need them any more!

Anyway, first we'll take the Bird Line back to our home base in East Area, because there are a few caves there that we could go to in order to find some new animals. For this, we'll be using three things: the "shot" service from Bird Linde, which allows you to be dropped off anywhere on the map; and also two items: Escape Unit, which allows you to instantly exit any dungeon back to the planet's surface, and also the Rescue Beacon, which allows you to be picked up by Bird Line from anywhere on the map. This last one is important, as there are some areas on the map which are in between two mountain ranges and only accessible by going through a dungeon. Here, this service and items help to minimise backtracking!

The first place we'll be visiting is called Daicave ("dai" means "big" in Japanese) and its entrance is located in the general area of the square marked on the map. As you can see, this little area is surrounded by mountains and sea on all sides and it cannot be reached simply by walking on the overworld. The only real way to reach it is by going through Nebul Road, which has two entrances, one on each side of that mountain range that you see to the left of the square. So by using Bird Line services, you can save a lot of time if you need to go to Daicave.

Here it is. It's also possible to capture some unique species here outside the cave, but no animals spawn this time, so we'll come back for that.

Entering the cave, the first thing we see is again one of those weird teleporter looking things... but like almost all we've found so far, this one too seems inactive with no obvious way to activate it. So we continue on our way for now.

Yeah, this place is pretty big, and this is just one floor!

Here we run into our first species for today...

...but it's just wolves, which we've already seen before. None the less, it does add +1 to our total towards 50!

As you walk around, you might notice what looks like some kind of red flowers on the ground. It's probably best to not approach them too close, because if you do...

...you get thrown into a battle with a bunch of "red creepers" (creepers as in creeper plants, by the way). As you can see, like with roses, these flowers are not to be trifled with either! They are not as strong as roses, but still pretty strong. They are also not possible to capture, so they are basically just a distraction--there are a few enemies like this in the game--so basically just avoid them, really.

Soon we come across another species, one which we haven't seen before. It does look familiar, but there's something a bit off... I can't quite put my finger on it through.

Of course, it's just lions. I mean they have only two legs and also chicken feet, but let's not quibble over small details.

Continuing on...

...we get to the second floor of the dungeon. It has that large open area that I feel we should explore because it looks interesting. I wonder what's there?

Curiously, we pass by an empty tent... maybe if we come here at a different time, there will be somebody?

Eventually, we get to a point where we can actually see over the wall into that big empty area... the only thing visible is a blue flower. And well, I guess I will never learn not to touch the flowers in this game, so we're definitely heading there to check that out!

The only question is how to get there, since the place has multiple stairways going up and down and this area seems to require a particular combination of staircases to reach it.

Well, that's no problem, because that game guide book has clear maps of all areas in the game:

So with a little help from the guide, we can easily get to that part of the cave.

Ah, here we are. let's check out that flower.

So, uh... just a flower then? (Flowers are restorative items in this game, e.g. restoring HP, BP or such.) Still, this seems a bit weird. What's more...

...there's actually quite a few blue flowers in this area! So I guess let's keep checking them out--in fact already by checking out this second one...

...it turns out it's not actualy a flower, but a (male) peacock just masquerading as one! Well, that's good because we do need to capture it! Checking out other flowers...

...we find also a female one for our collection. This is pretty neat, I actually like the design of these!

So that's all there is to this open area, let's head out. Before using the escape unit, there are a couple of chests here. Mostly they just have consumables, except this one...

A beastman necklace? That sounds kind of important, I wonder what it's for? Let's have a look in our inventory...

If we do that, we find that the game classifies it as "rare/mysterious" item and indicates that its purpose and possible effects are unknown. Well that's no help at all.

Anyway, let's get out of here and head to our next destination, a place called Karagoram.

It's located here, at the very south of East Area.

In this place sometimes you can find these bone remains of... something.

In this chest, we can find otter shoes. I equip them on Ken for a couple of extra defence points.

Ah, but here is what I was actually looking for.

Some pretty awesome looking lizards! We have to transform into something less powerful to be able to NOT overkill them though.

As mentioned above, their ability to call reinforcements really is quite a nuisance as they always seem to do it when there is one or two left--so here the all-hitting weapon does help a bit, but when they move around to separate on the field, there always seems to be just one left somewhere who then calls up another bunch. Aargh, this IS actually annoying.

Exploring this location...

...you might find this fellow here.

Due to budget cuts or something, I guess I'm the only guard on duty now. But don't worry I'm good enough to stand guard on my own. Really, don't worry.

Ok, whatever you say! Let's go past him and see what he's guarding.

Oh, hey, it's some researchers again! Let's talk to this lady.

About 100 years ago before this excavation, there used to be a calcareous underground lake here. It seems to have been a habitat of a now extinct animal species. But, according to some research, the animal's eggs have an arachnid structure which can withstand a long dry season. So they think that the animal can come back if water is restored to this site as like there used to be!

Hm, that's quite curious, I wonder what species it was. But she's not going to tell us, is she? Maybe we can figure out a way to restore water here at some point?

Inside the tent, there is another person.

I'm sure if we dig just a few metres deeper, we'll hit a water vein. Although I'm starting to feel a bit nervous that we won't find it... Ah, I shouldn't worry, I'm sure in a few days water will be gushing out and the animals will be swimming around. I will finally be able to see their cute form!

But other than that, there seems to be just some holes in the ground and some equipment around, neither of which we can do anything with for the time being. So let's head to our next destination...

...which happens to be right here.

Walking around this place...

...we find remains of... something. But it's hard to tell what it was when it was whole.

As we walk around, we notice these little rocks everywhere. Approach one, and...

...check this out, you get thrown into a battle with some extremely cute looking hermit crabs!

They have very low HP, so the usual strategy applies to reduce your attack power and use a weak ability. In any case, that's all we came here for, so we can go to our next destination for today, and the final cave we'll be stopping at on this particular tour.

(Don't worry, there's even more cuteness coming up shortly!)

After exiting from here, Spring 1993 begins!

For our next destination, we'll head down to the South Area first...

...and then literally down to this corner here!

This place is called Samakia and there are several species which can be found here.

Shortly after entering, we run into a couple of dudes!

They made a little camp here for some reason! Let's talk to this guy first...

When Mr. Orman from the dog fighting arena was still alive, he used to come here for hunting every once in a while. He would bring with him a couple of hounds, Taro and Jiro. Those two were the best in the world!

Just a quick note: "Taro" and "Jiro" are not-uncommon Japanese male names which mean respectively "first son" and "second son". So he must have really loved those dogs!

The other guy gives us a bit of a hint about what we can find in this dungeon!

There is an ant's nest further in. The females are not numerous, so if you dog accidentally kills one you will have to wait until the next season until the next female is born. You will also have to weave your way through swarms of male ants in their tunnels in order to find the queen's nest!

So this is a pretty explicit hint about the situation. We can capture ants in this cavern, but there is only one female around and if you kill it by accident, then you have to wait until the next season until another one appears. This at least is more or less the same as how it is with "our" ants, so not too surprising.

Equipped with this knowledge, let's head in. Ants only appear in the deepest part of the cave, but there are other species to be found here before we get to that part! By the way the tents are empty (well, they belong to these two guys) and one of them just contains a chest with a random consumable item which clears status effects. So nothing special.

As we are going deeper into the cave, we run into two new species at once! First off...

...some very cute looking anteaters! Well, it's only logical for them to be here since there are tons of ants in this same place too.

As you can see, they do have some slightly problematic abilities, among them a reminder that this game does feature a kind of equipment durability, although this is usually not a factor except in cases like this.

They didn't look quite as cute in the original PC Engine version, though:

After this, let's check out the other animals here, namely the blue thingy.

Turs out it's a bunch of some very cute looking sea urchins!

Let's continue deeper!

All right, here we are at the deepest level of the cave where the ant nest is. Let's check out the map...

Oh, I see now what that guy meant about weaving our way through the tunnels here!

Male ants are easy enough to find here for sure as the tunnels really do swarm with them (and anyway they will chase you and attack you if you come near since they are defending their nest).

If you look carefully, you will spot the problem here immediately! Their HP is absolutely tiny and this is definitely a problem. First of all, we're probably a bit overleveled as we're coming here a bit late in the game, but to be honest I'm not sure that even at level 1 one hit from Ken or Linda wouldn't overkill them.

Even trying some of the weaker abilities with no weapon equipped still results in too much damage. So then I really started looking at what I could possibly use to capture them safely... and ultimately come up with the idea to use Linda's "cobra twist" ability. Its main purpose is to hold an enemy restrained and to prevent them from acting... but it also does a super tiny bit of damage to the same enemy on every turn! This continuous damage is small enough that it finally allows for the safe capture of ants (and you only really need one anyway).

With that done, we can proceed to explore the tunnels in hopes of finding the (one) queen.

Some passages here are definitely a bit tight! Ultimately, however...

...we find what we were looking for!

Same problem (low HP) and same solution (cobra twist) are definitely effective here, too.

One interesting thing to check out is this screenshot of an ant battle from the original PC Engine version:

First of all, just looking at their eyes makes me dizzy. But, second, and more interesting is that the PC Engine version did not feature this situation with only one female per season. As you can see on the screenshot, it features both male and female ants appearing together in a group, as normal. The remake version did in fact change the location of some animals and the conditions of their capture. So a guide for one version will not necessarily work 100% for the other!

But with this, we'll exit the dungeon now and it's probably time to check out that message finally!

The message is from Emory this time.

It's Emory...
Right now, Sachiko and I are trapped in Linda's house... don't worry about the details but just listen.
It seems that the corpses of the dead people in Minago have come out of their graves and are swarming the town as zombies! I'm not quite sure what's the cause yet, but I probably caused it somehow. So I'm prepared to face it... but I have to protect Sachiko at all costs! Please save us, I'm begging you!

And now, zombies, too? Well, why not, it's not like we haven't already had pretty much everything else in this scenario. In fact, the game's creator, Shoji Masuda wrote about this and indicated that when writing Scenario B, his intention was to just keep throwing new plot twists at the player constantly to keep it entertaining! I will be posting parts of that article later on, when it stops being spoilery. In a related bit of news, it turns out that Masuda and a couple of other people from the development team were a bit active on BBSes/net in the 1990s and early 2000s, and well, I have somehow found a website which archives some of their old posts from that time where they literally answer people's questions about the game and why some things are the way they are in it. So I'm planning to go through it and post some of the more interesting ones here too. So please look forward to that!

Anyway, moving on with the game, let's try and go to Hardia to see what Ben has to say about this new zombie infestation!

Coming to his office, we find he's not actually here for once!

However, since it is now the year 1993 (which we haven't experienced before)...

...we can check out the calendar here to see whose picture is on it in this year.

Looks like it's Linda's mum this time (which is actually a bit weird since she was just killed... but I guess this calendar is meant to be just a bit of silly fan service with no connection to the actual plot).

On our way out, we can check with Ben's secretary briefly...

If you're looking for the commander... he's in Minago. But he's told me not to tell you about it...

Hm... can't imagine why? But we already know about the Minago situation from Emory, so of course we're heading there next!

Entering Minago, we run into Ben here...

I didn't tell you about it on purpose... because I though it might end up being a bit too hard...
For some reason, the bodies just came out of their graves and started swarming the town. There are two civilians still inside.
Now, I know that you are both more than capable of dealing with the zombies, it's just that... it seems Linda's mum and dad are among them!

Well, it's not like we have a choice... so let's see what's going on here.

Hmm, yeah, that does look like a zombie infestation for sure! Our goal is of course to make it to Linda's house, but as we walk towards it...

...we get attacked repeatedly by random zombies like this. They are not really super strong, so one way or another this can be handled. After a bit of this...

...we reach the door of Linda's house. And, uh, I guess the commander really wasn't kidding, because...

...we get attacked by the zombie versions of Hume and Ann! They are a fair bit stronger than the regular ones, but still nothing we can't handle without much difficulty.

And with this, we are able to enter the house...

...where we find Emory and Sachiko.

Yes, father.
I think those two at the door were Linda's mother and father. They came back to this house even as zombies... they must have loved it here very much. And to think that now Linda's had to take her loving parents down herself... Oh, god...
Linda! Please forgive me! I've always tried to do my best and to do everything I can...
But it always seems to turn out like this...
Probably the cause of this mess is a nosocomial infection with a particular parasite that has originated from within the hospital... It's all because of my carelessness... I am prepared to receive any kind of judgment on that.
But before that... I need to rush to produce a cure for this parasite, for the sake of potentially infected!
I'm sorry, Linda... for what I'm sure is now inside you, too.
Father... Miss Linda is already...
Sachiko! You must never say how it's too late! I will definitely sort this all out!
But, father! This time, too, Miss Linda...
Quiet! I am a doctor and this is the only way I can repay her! I will help her!

Linda! Until the medication is ready, please refrain from kissing, as it would be dangerous!

Well, Linda does seem to like kissing Ken at every possible opportunity, so this kind of warning is appropriate... if this were some kind of normal siuation. But, seriously, what the heck is going on? Did he manage to let a parasitic infections somehow spread out of the hospital, or what?

Well, however it is, we have dealt with the zombies and can now leave.

As we exit the town, Linda...

Also, Ben is waiting for us at the exit...

I'll go back to the HQ. If you need anything, just let me know, ok.

And so, we're now free again until the next plot moment. So let's use it to visit a couple of people who have something interesting to say. First, we'll head over to Hospico.

There, we find Sachiko in front of Emory's door, blocking our way...

Right now, father is busy working on the new drug which prevents the parasitic infection. He's been working on it day in day out and I know he'll do his best to finish it. So please have faith in him and please wait a bit longer.

So we can't do anything here. Let's head to Ozport, though.

First, this person in the corner here.

Smilly Clunker... that guy's got some serious balls. Takes an advance payment from the Federation, pretends to do some work and then just disappears like that! A true top class bounty hunter!

Next, we'll head inside the airport building...

Another message notification... we'll check that out a bit later, as usual.

But I really wanted to come here where the airport checkin is, becasue this person has an interesting comment to make!

We found a naked body of a young woman in the dumpster behind the building. It seems she was the flight attendant who was supposed to be on the shuttle that exploded. But if that's the case, then who was the flight attendant who WAS on the shuttle?

Indeed. She did look familiar, though. The person on the other desk also has a bit of a comment...

The shuttle crash was apparently caused by an explosive device on board!

Also to the surprise of no one. The shuttle explosion clearly happened because someone wanted to assassinate Kammer, I don't think there's too much doubt over that.

Also, I completely forgot to withdraw Ken's salary from the bank all this time! So I finally stop by a branch to do that!

As you can see, there was a whole 13,085 G waiting there for us! Ken's salary is normally 100x his level at the beginning of the season for which it is paid.

Before we leave...

...let's stop by the wedding shop.

Ah, good. Even in this scenario they still have that promotional ring for 2 G! Let's buy it for Linda!

[ Don't worry about unimportant things. ] / I still think it looks pretty good on you. / But this is what your fingers are now, you know.
I will definitely get my left arm back! Then I can fit this ring properly on my finger!

All righty then, who's for a bit more hunting? (Just a little bit!)

If we make camp with Linda, we get another bit of dialogue...

Hey Ken... When we are reincarnated, would you still choose to marry me?
[ Yes of course. ] / I would pass.
Thank you. It makes me happy to hear that, even if it's a lie. You are always so nice to me, aren't you? I was a bit scared before, now I'm not any more. Thank you for everything. *kiss*

All righty then, let's pick up a couple more species. First we'll head down south again.

There is a hidden animal on this screenshot, can you see it? It's the slightly different looking patch of sand directly to the left of Ken. In the actual game it does move, so it's a bit easier to spot. In any case...

It's basically centipedes!

They do have those annoying abilities which can damage your equipment, but don't pose much of a threat at all.

While we're down here, we can also run into...

...some Koalas which we're already familiar with.

While we're busy with all this, it becomes Summer 1993. Ok, now let's head back north, to that little inaccessible patch of land between the mountains.

This time, there are some animals here.

Here, you can find impalas!

Nothing really special about them, so we'll head over to our next capture (and also the final one for today, whew!). For this we need to go to Ozport, because the last species for today is in fact found INSIDE THE TOWN!

You might recall at the beginning of this scenario, I mentioned you can go through this little passage here.

It gets you into this little secret area, as we've seen previously. But there's a secret within a secret! If you push the top barrel...

...it reveals a ladder! When we go down...

...there's a whole other thing here! We can talk to that guy.

They just throw it away as trash in town, but here the catfish use it to produce most of the electricity the town needs. The town's power usage is almost proportional to the amount of rubbish produced, so it's clean energy without waste!

So he's talking about catfish...

...and in fact they're swimming in this muck around us. They also happen to be another species which can be captured, so you know what that means:

Mostly, you will find just males, like so. But one of them will typically turn out to be female:

Aaaaa! But yes, it is indeed one of the strongest enemies in the game. Therefore I employ the strategy of Ken transforming into an eagle and then using his "desperate attack" skill to pretty much double his attack power in summary, because I really don't want to risk anything here!

Incidentally, some species of catfish can indeed produce electricity in real life too. Although nobody has yet harnessed that power to power the cities!

Yes. We are now absolutely done with hunting for today. Let's go and hand stuff in and then we'll check out that message!

After handing stuff in...

...checking in with the robot tells us that we are at 48 out of 50 that we need. We only need two more and we'll do that next time because it's definitely enough for today!

Checking the message, we find out it's from Ben.

It's me! The sudden explosion of a shuttle... the mysterious disappearance of the bounty hunters... the zombies rising from the graves... Why are there so many incidents at the same time?
But anyway, there is a letter that arrived for you here. I don't know what it is, but it was sent to you by someone named Ms. Lily. It's probably just some junk mail, but it is password protected, so maybe it's a love letter after all. Anyway, come and check it out when you can. That is all!

“Ms. Lily" you say? I don't think it could be more obvious who it's actually from. And he did promise to send us the data in case of his demise, so... let's go immediately to the Ranger HQ!

[ Yes. ] / No.

If you say "no", he reiterates the story about "Ms. Lily" since you can come here without listening to the message.

So do you have any idea who this Lily person is?
[ Yeah, maybe. ] / Not at all.
Well, first of all, we need to figure out what the password is! It seems it consists of six letters...

Let me just tell you, our bounty hunter friend would probably get his account easily hacked, because...

...it's basically one step removed from it being simply "password". Anyway, let's see what it contains.

Ken! Bingo! Looks like there are three files here.

Well, let's see.

1. List of members of the selection committee (top secret)
2. Photograph (date and place unknown)
3. List of the applicants for the female ark crew member (top secret)

Ok, well, let's go in order, shall we.

1. List of members of the selection committee

Name: George Kammer
Notes: Administrative aide, Federation HQ.

Name: Liberty Orman
Notes: Former BW-2 commander at Federation HQ. Owner of Dogy Figh arena.

Name: Bizar Bibio
Notes: Commander, Neo-Kenya Airport. BW-1 Major at Federation HQ.

Interesting...

The two men who committed suicide by jumping from the church in Minago, and aide Kammer who was blown up in the shuttle...

Then the next one, which is a photograph.

The doctor who operated on Linda's arm... Emory. The woman is definitely older than his daughter, but looks very similar to her.

Maybe his wife, back when she was pregnant with their daughter?

And then the third one, which is another text file.

List of the applicants for the female ark crew member

Name of applicant: Linda Banning
Place of birth: Neo-Kenya, Hospico
Father: Hume Banning
Mother: Ann Banning
Height: 170cm / Weight 52kg
Measurements: 86/55/84 cm
Blood type: B / General health: good

Name of applicant: Sachiko Emory
Place of birth: Camp No. 372, β-Goba system
Father: Yatarou Emory
Mother: Tsuruko Emory (deceased)
Height: 158cm / Weight 43.5kg
Measurements: 82/53/83 cm
Blood type: B / General health: good
Additional note: Central pulmonary artery, semilunar valve; pulmonary artery trunk, traces of surgery on the left side of the chest that may have been performed in infancy, but was successful and there was a full recovery.

So does that mean that Emory is our Puppet Master?

Sachiko Emory? Huh, I didn't even know there were other applicants besides Linda.

Dr. Emory committed the crimes because he hated that the committee members didn't choose his daughter Sachiko as the ark crew member. That's about it, right? What do you think?
But is that really enough reason to just go and kill somebody? And even if we're correct, there's no evidence at all.
By the way, don't you be so foolish to break into Emory's office looking for evidence, or anything like that, ok? Do you understand!

Sure, chief. So let's leave and go home, then.

When we get downstairs...

[ Let's go! ] / Go where?
We'll make a frontal attack on Emory's lab in Hospico!

Guess we're not going straight home after all, huh?

"The medication for the parasite, have you finished it yet? I'm sooo scared and only you can save me, doctor!" We'll just make him feel at ease and then try to find the evidence while we're there! Perfect plan, right?

Ahh, not sure about that, Linda... Incidentally, she puts on her "helpless" voice here and it's hilarious. The vocal performances are so good that this game does lose just a tiny bit when you can't hear them. All characters with portraits are fully voiced, by the way.

But I guess the decision is made, however foolish it may be, so...

...to Emory's lab we go! There we are met by Emory and Sachiko by his side.

But you have to believe me, that I always only want to do the best I can... somehow it always backfires. I know it's not enough, but I've prepard some medicine for you!
It's a bit smelly and it might itch a little, but please endure it! Here!

He literally picks up that bucket and throws it at her!

It's just the anti-parasite remedy. Don't worry, you'll be fine now.

That's how you found me out, right? Right?
I wonder what the commander said when he figured it out... Did he say that there wasn't enough evidence, I wonder? And yet, here you two are, barging in like some kind of amateur detectives, huh? I suppose you were expecting me to just give myself up, right? Ahahahaha!
That's cute. That's reeeeal cute. But I really don't have the patience to play around with you two any more, so I'll just tell you the truth.

So, uh, what now? What's your next move? Detectives?
That will be...

But she suddenly collapses in pain...

Aaaagh... It hurts... Ken! My stomach hurts...
Oh no! Linda, can you forgive me! I did it again! Instead of the medication to cure the parasites...
...it seems that somehow I have mistakenly given you a different one which accelerates their growth!
Yes! It's almost time! That's it! Three, two, one, go! LET'S DANCE!

Cutscene time!

A-ha-ha-ha! It hurts, right? You're suffering, right? Well, so did my Sachiko and a lot more than this!

He goes over to his pods.

Now is the time to introduce your dance partners. You know how they say, yesterday's enemy is today's friend! Presenting: Smilly the Clunker!

So it seems he's turned Smilly and his two buddies into zombies, too!

Sachiko! I'm getting a bit tired, so I'll head home! Please stay and report to me later how it all went down here!
Yes, father.

And with that, he leaves through the side door.

Zombies start closing in on Ken and Linda... but just at that moment...

...another Sachiko suddenly enters the house!

Three, two, one, attack!

Three, two, one, attack!

And she gets rid of all three zombies!

Yes, please do. I'm prepared.
No. 1, what is going on? I don't understand what you're thinking!
Father told me that Linda is a bad person.

She gets ready to leave through that side door, too.

I don't... understand!
It's not how it was supposed to...
I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

She leaves, too. The other Sachiko reverts to her human form.

A bunch of doctors run into the house and put an end to this whole gruesome spectacle!

Some time later, Linda is (again) incapacitated in her hospital room!

Hospital director is also there, so we can talk to him quickly...

I know you're worried about her, but there's nothing you can do for her right now. Don't worry, I will not let her die in the same room in which she was born!

We've heard that story in the previous scenario.

As Ken leaves, the other Sachiko is in the room with the newborns. She intercepts Ken.

Ken was born from a mother, like all these babies here, right?
But us, we're different. We're not real. The real Sachiko killed herself in a fit when she was not chosen as crew.
That's right. The actual Sachiko was the first one to jump from the church in Minago. We're just clones synthesized from the nuclei of Sachiko's cells.
I guess you could say that our birthday is the day our father swore revenge on Linda and the members of the selection committee.

A good spot to end this part, I think!

Well, that was pretty crazy, I'm not going to lie, so let's all take a moment to catch our breath, yeah?

Today first we have an illustration/storyboard depicting the scene we just saw, with Robo-Sachiko and Linda on the floor in pain.

And then just another weird one of Linda!

So, I did promise you a bit of a rare extra today, and here it is.

This is a brief Japanese TV advert for Linda3 Again from back in 1997 when it was released on PlayStation 1! Of course, due to the age of the video, it's presented in glorious 240p! Just kidding, that's the only kind of copy I was able to track down, so... enjoy!

Yes, it is ridiculously spoilery, which is why I couldn't post it until now!

Well, see you next time!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well...huh. That explains pretty much all of the mysteries. Well, minus why original Sachiko was so obsessed with being the ark candidate.

I completely bombed guessing the animal from the sprite this update.

ivantod posted:

And now, zombies, too? Well, why not, it's not like we haven't already had pretty much everything else in this scenario. In fact, the game's creator, Shoji Masuda wrote about this and indicated that when writing Scenario B, his intention was to just keep throwing new plot twists at the player constantly to keep it entertaining! I will be posting parts of that article later on, when it stops being spoilery. In a related bit of news, it turns out that Masuda and a couple of other people from the development team were a bit active on BBSes/net in the 1990s and early 2000s, and well, I have somehow found a website which archives some of their old posts from that time where they literally answer people's questions about the game and why some things are the way they are in it. So I'm planning to go through it and post some of the more interesting ones here too. So please look forward to that!

I am looking forward to that!

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 10, 2022

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
honestly my #1 question is how the hell did playtesters and the like react to all the advertisement immediately turning into edgy pokemon turning into hell

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The centipedes, especially the male one, are a mood.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... hookay, did I accidentally ingest hallucinogens before reading that? I mean, it all makes sense, but what the gently caress did I just read?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love how unapologetically off the rails this scenario is.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Parasites that turn people in zombies? This is just like critically reviewed 200x Xbox360 title Dead Rising.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm not sure what the ad said but I'm not sure wtf is the right angle to sell your game with.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:suspense:

Well, that all happened.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Podima posted:

I love how unapologetically off the rails this scenario is.

for real

also, this got me to laugh, so nicely done:

quote:

Of course, it's just lions. I mean they have only two legs and also chicken feet, but let's not quibble over small details.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I for one am shocked that the Hitler Doctor turned out to be a shady guy.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It was neat to see the ad, thanks for digging it up

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Linda Cube The Game: fairly light-hearted wackiness with some oddly disturbing scenes (anything involving Sachiko in this route, for example), And Mad Scientist Hitler for some reason, still not sure why that's a thing.

Linda Cube The Advert: "You haven't even begun to comprehend the things we will make you afraid of. When Silent Hill has nightmares, we are what it dreams of. We will dwell in your mind and make it our own until you become just. Like. Us."

So yeah, bit of a tonal shift when it comes to the advertising.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

King of Bleh posted:

I for one am shocked that the Hitler Doctor turned out to be a shady guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Linda always seems to get the short end of the stick in these scenarios. It would be nice to just have a scenario where she doesn't get anything horrific happen to her.